Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Exploring Toril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

IlexGarodan
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  02:23:10  Show Profile  Visit IlexGarodan's Homepage Send IlexGarodan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all! IlexGarodan here with an odd question.

My campaign in the Forgotten Realms seems to be a real hit with the players! They're enjoying it, and, in turn, I'm happy that they're enjoying it. Truly a campaign setting worthy of countless updates!

But that's not why I am here.

My players want to explore the rest of Toril. They don't want to be confined just to Faerûn. Problem is, none of the 3rd Edition rulebooks have any mention of Kara-Tur, Zakhara, or Maztica anywhere. Is it possible to use 2nd Edition AD&D campaign settings just for the geography of the continents?

Thank you for everything!

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  02:46:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure why not? You could also use the 1e/2e material about the other continents since most of it hasn't been changed much. Um, Maztica was updated in Lands of Intrigue box set. (Wooly, link please. :) You do it so well, we leave it for you!)

The Hordelands does have a upcoming article in Dragon and there are a few 3/3.5e Dragon articles about the other continents. Issue #315 and #321. 321 has some zakhara prestige classes.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  02:46:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is.

Since we've had so little expansion of the add-ons in 3e FR -- WotC wants to specifically concentrate on Faerun -- most, if not all of the geography and lore relating to those far regions are *mostly* still applicable for your 3e FR campaigns. There's been some notes as to changes here and there, and extra facts we hadn't known -- about Kara-Tur in particular. The novel The Yellow Silk provides some new tidbits on parts of Kara-Tur in 3e FR.

As for political aspects and economic trends and the like for the add-ons... that's actually a little more difficult since the expansions haven't received much updating beyond material in 2e FR sourcebooks printed after the initial campaign expansions were released. For the most part, you can probably work through on your own and plot new elements for these in your own games, paying attention to any slight mentions for Kara-Tur and/or Maztica that have been made in relevant 3e FR sourcebooks -- like the Unapproachable East for example, or the FRCS and the Silver Marches.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Jul 2006 02:48:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  04:04:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

(Wooly, link please. :) You do it so well, we leave it for you!)

This link? The Wizards downloads page.

Keep in mind one simple rule, Ilex: if nothing in 3E has superseded specific lore from 1E or 2E, then it's still valid. Sure, you may have to do some conversion of stuff (the 2E to 3E book can help with this), but the lore -- and maps! -- remains valid.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  11:24:50  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh sure. I'm snapping up all kinds of 2e stuff off eBay for the geography, history, and culture of regions not so well, or as elaborately covered in 3e, specifically Calimshan, the Vilhon Reach and the Old Empires.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2006 :  14:20:16  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The old material is just fine to use as a second or additional source! I used them and e.g. the Oriental adventure as guidance for special character classes, weapons, ect. in Kara-Tur. Sometimes, if you are lucky you find references in the MM's as where some monsters originate from (e.g. Stingers from Matzica in Monster of Faerun). You might want to check on the Creature Catalogue (http://www.enworld.org/cc/index.php) for convertions of monsters from old sourcebooks.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2006 :  03:59:38  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...or one could simply remain with the 2e Realms and avoid all the time and effort converting.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

IlexGarodan
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  01:51:27  Show Profile  Visit IlexGarodan's Homepage Send IlexGarodan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Thank you, all!

I have laid eyes on an AD&Dv1 Oriental Adventure campaign setting that I will probably buy this Thursday or Friday. I checked the book over, but was kind of disappointed since there was no map of Kara-Tur.

Does anybody know where I can get a map of Kara-Tur?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  01:59:48  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IlexGarodan

I have laid eyes on an AD&Dv1 Oriental Adventure campaign setting that I will probably buy this Thursday or Friday. I checked the book over, but was kind of disappointed since there was no map of Kara-Tur.

Kara-tur box set. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

IlexGarodan
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  02:20:21  Show Profile  Visit IlexGarodan's Homepage Send IlexGarodan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not funny, Kuje. I'm looking for a map that won't cost any extra money. I'm short on cash as is.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  02:21:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Kara-tur box set. :)

There's also a website (you can find the link on the old Bioware site) that presents maps for Kara-Tur redrawn from the boxed set by several fans who've based their campaigns there. Aside from the few home campaign add ins... the maps match up with canon (2e) Kara-Tur material.

Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  02:22:32  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also a 2nd Edition Kara-Tur Trail Map (TM5 9402). I do not know how easy it is to find anymore.

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  02:23:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not funny, Kuje. I'm looking for a map that won't cost any extra money. I'm short on cash as is.

Ah, but we did not know that, did we.

The PDF of the Kara-Tur boxed is only $4US -- from paizo.com. So long as you've got a credit card, or can borrow either your friend's or your parents (and that they don't mind), you should be able to purchase and download a copy.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  02:25:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EvilKnight

There is also a 2nd Edition Kara-Tur Trail Map (TM5 9402). I do not know how easy it is to find anymore.

EvilKnight

It does pop up on Ebay occasionally. Though I don't check often.

Wooly's mentioned it once or twice, so I imagine it happens fairly regularly.

Go to Top of Page

IlexGarodan
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  02:36:55  Show Profile  Visit IlexGarodan's Homepage Send IlexGarodan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
There's also a website (you can find the link on the old Bioware site) that presents maps for Kara-Tur redrawn from the boxed set by several fans who've based their campaigns there. Aside from the few home campaign add ins... the maps match up with canon (2e) Kara-Tur material.

What is the URL to Bioware's old site?
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  02:37:33  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, you can down load a zip file of the Trail Map from RPGNow for $5. Just looked it uphttp://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=1357.

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  03:06:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Ah, but we did not know that, did we.

The PDF of the Kara-Tur boxed is only $4US -- from paizo.com. So long as you've got a credit card, or can borrow either your friend's or your parents (and that they don't mind), you should be able to purchase and download a copy.

Well excuse me. As Sage said, we didn't know that. You asked a question, and you got an answer. It just wasn't the answer you wanted, evidently.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  03:09:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It'd probably be fair to warn you, then, that if you are looking for a plethora of information contained in out-of-print products, odds are you'll have to plunk down cash for it somewhere along the way. So save your money.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 06 Aug 2006 03:09:31
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  03:33:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

What is the URL to Bioware's old site?

I'll have to take a look through my bookmarks. I'm at the library at the moment, and don't have access to my URL files.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  03:35:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

It'd probably be fair to warn you, then, that if you are looking for a plethora of information contained in out-of-print products, odds are you'll have to plunk down cash for it somewhere along the way. So save your money.

That's always a good thing to remember, especially when talking about a setting with a near 20-year published history like the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  09:24:40  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes you can steal a deal though. Just today I got the Daggerdale Adventure Trilogy for about 15 dollars (near mint condition).

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

IlexGarodan
Acolyte

Canada
26 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  17:18:35  Show Profile  Visit IlexGarodan's Homepage Send IlexGarodan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

Sometimes you can steal a deal though. Just today I got the Daggerdale Adventure Trilogy for about 15 dollars (near mint condition).

I'll keep that in mind, Mazrim.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000