Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Help! Very new DM and new to the FR as well
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaria
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  17:38:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaria's Homepage Send Alaria a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi everyone

Due to real/life circumstances, our DM had to step away from the game. Rather than disband the relatively new group that everyone really seems to enjoy, I've volunteered to take over as DM, though I know I am by far the most inexperienced player in the group! We are playing level 9 chars, specializing in demon hunting, and trying to run the story from week to week rather than stand alone battles and such. Any info that people can share to help me make this a great adventure for my pc's would be greatly appreciated! Also, links or info on good places to get pregen. story ideas and location descriptions would be a godsend as I'm still trying to simply learn the basics of battle encounters I wasn't kidding when I said I was enexperienced. We've started out in Waterdeep, but will be leaving to explore other areas.

Any help, advice, good places to look for the basics of running a FR campaign, will be greatly appreciated! Also, just looking for a group that I can bounce ideas off of, to put a FR spin on them and to embellish them to create more fun and adventure for the group.

Thanks for everyone's help,

Alaria

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  18:00:26  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost all of us can help put a FR spin on them.

However, since you are a new DM, I'd suggest picking up some issues of Dungeon or some of the premade WOTC core and FR modules...... Or head off to a hobby/comic/online store and look at some of the third party modules. RPGNOW.com or nobleknight.com or enworld's store have a lot of the modules from various companies.

Wooly and I have also come up with 20+ hooks that could be used as news/gossip or expanded into mini adventures. All of them can be found in the Compendiums, which are linked in my sig.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 06 Aug 2006 18:51:14
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  20:22:24  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Alaria

if you wanna bounce...bounce :) I bet more than a few of us can work in that sort of think tank.

As for other advice, well, ask, either here or in PMs...or both, it's kind of difficult to suggest anything without knowing the whats and whens etc.

As for experience, or lack thereof. Everyone of us, those who GM anyway, started without having much of a clue. GMing is a whole new animal compared to playing, a FUN one! I for one started GMing without much RPG experience in the first place, in an age where internet was no commodity and cellphones were scifi, or very close to...and I got better, at least I hope I did GMing wise. So if you need any suggestions, see advice ;)

Mace "I think without RPGs and fantasy in general I'd be in much worse shape" Hammerhand

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  20:27:29  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out the free 2nd edition downloads at WotC's website. They have some great free lore that will help enrich any adventure. I would also suggest studying Kuje's NPC files and thinking of some interesting people for your players to interact with. My players love combat, but when I pulled off some good role-playing with my NPCs my players couldn't get enough. (This actually inspires the players to role-play better and thus having a great game.) Then again everything is up to your preference. The Realms is a very diverse campaign setting that will yield to you whatever you need in order to have a great game. Good luck!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  20:45:38  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just present your ideas and I am sure there are plenty of posters here who will be willing to give their input. If you are demon-hunters in the north there are always stragglers from Hellgate Keep, The Host tower of the Arcane in Luskan also has ties to demons.

The Candlekeep Compendiums holds a great many plot-hooks you can expand upon as needed, I will also second the suggestion about the 2ed downloads, for your part Volos guide to the north, the North box and the Savage Frontier may all hold valuable information. Be warned these also contain a great amount of lore details. The amount of Realms lore can be formidable when you first start reading, so be careful to not try to bite over to much at once. Your campaign always comes before realms lore.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  21:55:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Check out the free 2nd edition downloads at WotC's website. They have some great free lore that will help enrich any adventure.

And these can be found on the Wizards downloads page. There's a lot of other stuff on their site, too, that could prove useful.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  21:56:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

The Candlekeep Compendiums holds a great many plot-hooks you can expand upon as needed,

Oh, yeah, I agree that the hooks in the Candlekeep Compendiums are absolutely wonderful!

Click the link in my sig if you want to check them out.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  22:43:29  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Check out the free 2nd edition downloads at WotC's website. They have some great free lore that will help enrich any adventure.

And these can be found on the Wizards downloads page. There's a lot of other stuff on their site, too, that could prove useful.

Thanks Wooly!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  04:57:27  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The WotC site also has a bunch of 3E adventures Here, some are FR, but most are generic.
They range from level 1 to level 20.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  05:18:55  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, not sure this is the advice you're going to want, but what I recommend is talking to you group about starting a new game at level 1. A group of level 9 characters hunting Demons will be very difficult for a DM who is still learning how encounters work.

As you face more difficult opponents, such as demons, you will have to get used to resistance to various energy types, spell resistance, and DR. Some of the Demons have DR 10/Cold Iron AND Good and some have DR 10/Cold Iron OR Good.. It can get pretty confusing if you're new to the game.

If you start at level 1 you kind of gradually build up to this stuff.

Oh, and as for Realmsifying your campaign, that shouldn't be a problem, post here at Candlekeep and you will have several replies within the hour I'm sure.

Another place that you can get some plot hooks other than the Candlekeep Compendiums are sourcebooks. Most sourcebooks, especially the FRCS have plenty of possible plot hooks. You can also look here.... http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archeb/sh
Go to Top of Page

Alaria
Acolyte

6 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  23:48:14  Show Profile  Visit Alaria's Homepage Send Alaria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the great ideas everyone! I d/l'ed the compendiums and some of the source material at WOTC, and will look through them tonight. As for the suggestion that we start over, the reason I took over as DM is because we all had put a large amount of time into creating these char and their early lives etc, and no one wants to lose them. Thankfully the group is really tolerent and patient as far as the rules and such are concerned and help out rather than criticize when I don't know something.
Also, I'm really glad I found this forum to bounce ideas and to get perspective by reading the other posts about what I can use in my game!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000