Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Energy Drain / Negative Levels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  10:36:40  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know it's fairly subjective (OK, completely subjective) but CR aside, what levels of PCs would you be happy throwing creatures with Energy Drain at?

In the space of 3 encounters (i.e. the first and the third of those 3) I've hit my 4th-level PCs with 2 energy-draining creatures. In the first encounter one PC was hit only once but recovered after 24 hours (he has quite a staggering Fortitude save), in the 2nd encounter a different PC was struck once but we have yet to resolve the negative level situation she has a much worse Fortitude save, and the player is really annoyed.

Am I being too hard on them?

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  10:45:15  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what type of undead where they?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  10:49:13  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would not think so! after first experiencing the negative effects of the creatures the PCs should be more careful if they are afraid of the enery-drain. Thus they should stay away from those threats, get the magics that heal such a damage or consider protections so they are not so easily effected by such an attack form.

My opinion

(On the side: However, remember to keep the CR in check! No fun playing if you go up against too big a foe time after time again!!!)

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  10:49:18  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

what type of undead where they?

Oh, good point.

The first was a Gnoll Wight, the second an Air Necromental.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  10:54:26  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ohh! different type of monsters! That leaves my arguement rather empty it seems!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  10:54:40  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

I would not think so! after first experiencing the negative effects of the creatures the PCs should be more careful if they are afraid of the enery-drain. Thus they should stay away from those threats, get the magics that heal such a damage or consider protections so they are not so easily effected by such an attack form.

Well yes, but the second attack came from a creature they didn't recognise as undead, and a creature which also landed the first blow. Plus, they're not in much of a position to restock with magic or access good-aligned temples.

quote:

(On the side: However, remember to keep the CR in check! No fun playing if you go up against too big a foe time after time again!!!)

Yep, both creatures only had a CR4 and were quite quickly dispatched after initial worries.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  11:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what sort of a campaign is it?

Can the party easily gain access to a 7th Level cleric?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  11:34:53  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

what sort of a campaign is it?

Can the party easily gain access to a 7th Level cleric?

Right now the PCs are just entering the mountain stronghold of an evil doomsday cult, which they must pass through to reach the jungles beyond, on their way to a hidden Yuan-Ti temple. So, no, they're not really in a position to access a 7th-level cleric. They have a Guardian Naga ally who is 2 days away in the opposite direction, and they're in a race against time to reach the hidden temple. Tricky choice...

I may deposit some restorative items around the stronghold, it seems likely that priests and necromancers who would leave energy-draining things as guardians might prepare a way to remove negative levels, although being a doomsday cult they probably would be happy to embrace their impending doom.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  12:01:57  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Remind the player that theyve got a saving throw to make 24 hours after the attack and they should buff just before they have to make the save its a fort save so get the Partys spellcasters to Cast Bears Endurance (Raises con by 4 +2 to fort saves)/Resistence(+1 to saves)/Protection From Evil (+2 Saves) on the character

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  12:06:52  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Remind the player that theyve got a saving throw to make 24 hours after the attack and they should buff just before they have to make the save its a fort save so get the Partys spellcasters to Cast Bears Endurance (Raises con by 4 +2 to fort saves)/Resistence(+1 to saves)/Protection From Evil (+2 Saves) on the character

They've already worked that out, and they plan on giving this PC a +7 buff to her already +4 Fortitude save, which means the player only needs to roll a 3 or more to avoid a negative level, but I don't think that's all sunk in yet. It only happened yesterday.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  12:29:07  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

quote:

They've already worked that out, and they plan on giving this PC a +7 buff to her already +4 Fortitude save, which means the player only needs to roll a 3 or more to avoid a negative level, but I don't think that's all sunk in yet. It only happened yesterday.

have you told the players the DC there going to have to meet? (if not you can always make the save pass no matter what they/you roll...

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  12:34:35  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

have you told the players the DC there going to have to meet? (if not you can always make the save pass no matter what they/you roll...

No I haven't yet. I often don't for just that reason. This player is going to start (if he isn't already) thinking I'm picking on him because his character has been poisoned, almost killed, cursed, and now might gain a negative level.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  12:38:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

quote:

No I haven't yet. I often don't for just that reason. This player is going to start (if he isn't already) thinking I'm picking on him because his character has been poisoned, almost killed, cursed, and now might gain a negative level.

my friend you need to spread the pain and suffering around

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  12:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

my friend you need to spread the pain and suffering around

HA! Yes, maybe I do. The others don't get off lightly either. The Fighter has been 'almost killed' more times than I can remember and he's only 4th level. The Cleric has escaped most serious trouble except a brief period of disconnection from her deity. The Rogue was blinded briefly, and is now incapacitated and comatose. The Wild Dwarf Ranger/Druid passes his saves against most things so hasn't suffered any lasting damage. Everyone has been poisoned at some point, they are fighting Yuan-Ti after all!
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  15:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boo to energy draining attacks. I hate loosing my precious levels. I wouldn't worry about using monsters with energy draining attacks. Just make sure you provide help and healing capabilities at some point. Otherwise your players will take your DM hat off you.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  18:14:09  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Boo to energy draining attacks. I hate loosing my precious levels. I wouldn't worry about using monsters with energy draining attacks. Just make sure you provide help and healing capabilities at some point. Otherwise your players will take your DM hat off you.

You would hate a monster that a previous DM I had used to use, and I have used it also at times.

Its a form of Wight, but instead of doing level drain, it did XP damage.
Yes, wounds from these horrid creatures would eat away at the player's precious XP with no way to recover it.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  18:19:45  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I have used level draining one time during my DM career. OK so the game is not built on logic, but oops, there goes your combat abilities!?

My problem is that Undead are ever so useful, especially wights and wraiths, so I ended up with giving them constitution draining with a saving throw instead. Players have agreed with the logic and have had their characters run away as quickly as possible.
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2006 :  19:03:45  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

You would hate a monster that a previous DM I had used to use, and I have used it also at times.

Its a form of Wight, but instead of doing level drain, it did XP damage.
Yes, wounds from these horrid creatures would eat away at the player's precious XP with no way to recover it.

-Shiver- That is definitely a Lawful Evil act!

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  10:03:31  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Points and opinions all noted.

The XP-eating attacks would be terrifying! Whatever diabolic mind sicced that on his/her PCs deserves their seat in the Nine Hells.

There is aonly one more Energy-Draining creature in the PCs foreseeable future, and this time they'll be wary. They ARE in the stronghold of a doomsday cult of necromancers and priests after all and I figured life-sapping creatures would be favoured minions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000