Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New covers: Jan-Apr 2007
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

O Love
Acolyte

Germany
49 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  20:48:29  Show Profile  Visit O Love's Homepage Send O Love a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Today Paul found the cover images for the reprint of his Sembia books on Amazon. But there is more! May I present:

- "Unclean": First book of The Haunted Land
- "Sacrifice of the Widow": First novel of The Lady Penitent
- "The Halls of Stormweather": First Sembia novel, reprint
- "Shadow's Witness": Second Sembia book, reprint

I'm guessing that Todd Lockwood did "Sacrifice" and Raymond Swanland did the Sembias.

Forgotten Realms: The Library - News

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  20:57:40  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As usual you are the first to bring me these news, thanks.

I know I am probably alone in this, but I actually prefer the old covers.
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  21:22:44  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No you are not alone, I also prefer the old covers. Why is WoTC already recovering novels that are only 6 years old?

As for the others, Unclean's black and white cover looks nice.

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  22:13:24  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Notable on the Sembia series covers: the positioning as 'Gateway to the Realms', and more misuse of the Exocet font (which has got as overused as Copperplate).
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  22:30:45  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ignorance Personified

quote:

No you are not alone, I also prefer the old covers. Why is WoTC already recovering novels that are only 6 years old?

Agreed. I'm no fan of Swanland. Those Fighters Series covers . . . ugh . . . at first I thought Master of Chains was cool, until I saw the rest. They all look exactly the same. No personality, no sense of beauty, just drab "action." Perhaps he'll do a better job on Sembia, but judging from the first couple covers, I have my doubts. Why don't they just reprint the older set of books? It makes no sense . . .

The other covers look pretty cool. Boy, they're really hitting the drow market for all it's worth.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  00:06:16  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Notable on the Sembia series covers: the positioning as 'Gateway to the Realms', and more misuse of the Exocet font (which has got as overused as Copperplate).

I agree... I am getting a bit tired of seeing those fonts everywhere. Hell, Times New Roman seems a decent and fresh when compared to these two

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  01:54:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... For the covers of the reprinted Sembia books, I think I still prefer the art on the original covers. This new artwork on these reprint covers feels too "fast paced and sharp" for a place like Sembia. At least the original covers portrayed a sense of wealth and decadence that you've come to expect from Sembia. I'm not sure whether I'll pick up the reprints.

I like the cover to "Sacrifice of the Widow" though. Neat.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Archwizard
Learned Scribe

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  02:18:08  Show Profile  Visit Archwizard's Homepage Send Archwizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though I like some of the recent FR novel covers, I have to agree the original Sembia covers were very well done. They were moody without being blatant, they held a certain haunting quality to them. The new ones don't seem right.

I would have been happy with a simple reprint with the old covers, maybe if WotC really fell uneasy about it, update the FR logo on the first few books.

Which brings the question, why reprint these books? Half the series was done in the 3e period. What about the great stories of FR's past. Shadows of the Avatar could use updated covers, since the old ones used stock art (the 2nd ed FRCS box set art).
Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:28:48  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just curious as to how many readers out there buy copies of books they already own that get re-released with new covers/bindings/editions. Personally, I'm not much of a collector, so once I have 1 copy, that's enough for me. I do, at times, stand in my local bookstore admiring artwork on the covers of newer editions (most notably Elaine's Daughter of the Drow Trilogy). But alas, with hundreds of books to choose from, ones I already own are all but eliminated from my "need to buy" list. Maybe someday when I win the lottery...
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:40:29  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
^ I don't buy reprints if I already have them.

About the fonts and the black and white Unclean book, I doubt that WoTC will keep that. Usually O-love finds some draft covers and only updates it to the proper cover as soon as they're available. You can check the "Secret" images section in O-love to see what I mean.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:44:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quajack

I'm just curious as to how many readers out there buy copies of books they already own that get re-released with new covers/bindings/editions. Personally, I'm not much of a collector, so once I have 1 copy, that's enough for me. I do, at times, stand in my local bookstore admiring artwork on the covers of newer editions (most notably Elaine's Daughter of the Drow Trilogy). But alas, with hundreds of books to choose from, ones I already own are all but eliminated from my "need to buy" list. Maybe someday when I win the lottery...

Thus far, I've only bought a few reprints, and it was usually unintentional. I have bought a couple of reprints to have copies in better condition, though -- many of my older TSR books were acquired secondhand.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  05:25:09  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
At least the original covers portrayed a sense of wealth and decadence that you've come to expect from Sembia.

Right--I really don't care for these new covers, myself. But I have all the old books, read them, and won't be buying the reprints anyway.

The other two covers look very nice, although somehow I also have the feeling Unclean will be colored, even though black and white can be a nice style.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:27:14  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never bought a book for a new cover, but then again there has until now never been a cover change that to me personally was an improvement. I am more of a hoarder nature than a completist. I will not buy fantasy novels, cartoons, literature or records with minor differences for reasons of completion.

PS, let me rephrase that; with the exception of book 2 of the giant trilogy I have not seen improvements. I will not by this one either though.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  06:45:53  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the new covers for the Halls of Stormweather and Shadow's Witness, stylish images. But the Unclean book cover look a bit too black and white, devoid of colors.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  10:11:05  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Many thanks for bringing this over to us, O Love

The Sacrifice of the Widow cover is very nice. I don't dislike the Sembia covers as such, but they aren't quite what I was expecting.

Despite my love for all things Realmsian, I'm not 100% certain of picking these versions up. I think the novels are outstanding and certainly rate highly with me, however. Now if they have been produced as two collectors editions hardcovers...i'd be sold

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  04:42:18  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked all of the new art. The one does look like Todd Lockwood's work, who is amazing, and the others are pretty cool too.

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  14:12:21  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, with covers like those I'm definately not going to pick up the reprinted Sembia-series In fact, I almost think it's time for a "More covers by Therese Nielsen" petition soon. (Is it a coincidence that the only covers by Swanland that I like are the ones he made for part two and three of the House of Serpents trilogy, where Therese had already set the style with her cover for the first book? I think not.)

Sacrifice of the Widow looks good, though.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  10:49:06  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sembia is one of the most standout series for me. I'm not really a fan of Swanland's art but feel I should get this series in support of it ;-)

As Alaundo said, i'd jump at the chance of a collectors edition

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  11:20:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Well, with covers like those I'm definately not going to pick up the reprinted Sembia-series

I'm getting them because I've not acquired the whole series, yet.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  14:12:21  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

FYI, The Hunter's Blade Collector's Edition has a cover included.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786943157/qid=1151368727/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/104-2251634-5295903?s=books&v=glance&n=283155
Go to Top of Page

fitz
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  15:01:08  Show Profile  Visit fitz's Homepage Send fitz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://archivesdesplans.free.fr/images/hunter's%20blades%20tilogy.jpg

Better look for the fans
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  15:19:57  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! Can't complain about that cover. Almost makes me wish I hadn't purchased the paperbacks.
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  15:34:18  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is truly an awesome cover... But why all the new covers? I am somewhat of a perfectionist and it bothers my eye, that when i look upon my collection of books, Tantras and Waterdeep differs from Shadowdale because it is two different prints. COME ON. If it works, why fix it. But thats just me. Thank god they dont change whats inside of the the books...

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Kalin Agrivar
Senior Scribe

Canada
956 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  15:45:22  Show Profile  Visit Kalin Agrivar's Homepage Send Kalin Agrivar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faramicos

That is truly an awesome cover... But why all the new covers? I am somewhat of a perfectionist and it bothers my eye, that when i look upon my collection of books, Tantras and Waterdeep differs from Shadowdale because it is two different prints. COME ON. If it works, why fix it. But thats just me. Thank god they dont change whats inside of the the books...

why new covers? easy answer...more money from the die-hard collectors of Realms novels or Realms products..."I am somewhat of a perfectionist and it bothers my eye"...that is who they target

I'll repeat..mo money, mo money, mo money

and if they really want the $$$ they will throw in a "special" into it, like the authorss thoughts on the novel, a lost chapter, etc..

Kalin Xorell El'Agrivar

- High Mage of the Arcane Assembly
- Lore Keeper of the Vault of Ancestors
- 3rd Son of the Lord of the Stand
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2006 :  16:03:59  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fitz

Better look for the fans

Damn, I should have waited for this and not bought the paperbacks. Why is it that only Salvatore´s work gets collector`s editions?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  02:44:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fitz

Better look for the fans

The angst...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  12:59:08  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are probably right... And it works. We are the bread and butter of the RPG corporations and they are milking us. But what can a simple fan do? It is their market and they sell a product i want.

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000