Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Online comics
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  16:26:16  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, I've been mulling this over in my head for a while, and I finally decided to do it. See, this particular website I'm linking to here is one I haven't been to in a long time, due to some confusion on the part of the owner. He was deciding to change a lot of things and renovate the whole basis for the site around the same time I wasn't having a lot of time for this sort of thing. I just went back today, and I've decided that it's time I brought it to the attention of the Candlekeep members.

This one that I'm talking about is an online manga called Drow Tales: Chronicles of a Drow Sorceress. Kern, the guy who does this, has decided to move the whole story to a different worldline. Originally it was set in the Underdark we all know well, and in our favorite city in that area as well. Chapters 1-3 are still there, but it seems that the new version of that part of the story is due sometime this summer (northern hemisphere summer to those who're breaking out the winter clothes). I don't know if these first three chapters will be replaced then, but if you're interested maybe you'd better look at them now.

I do have to warn you. This is not an American sort of comic. It occationally shows cartoon nudity and adult 'themes'. That isn't the main point of the site, fortunately, but they can be surprising sometimes. (Or maybe that's just me?)

This manga has some spin-offs as well, that look to show other parts of the story. I haven't read them all yet. I felt I should get this information to you first, in case the part that's on Toril is thrown away soon.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 24 May 2003 15:22:56

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  17:45:04  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well online comics have been in my mind for a while now, and a friend of mine suggested that we do some.

I have some interesting storylines for some Realms based online comics, set around The time of Troubles. If there are any artists out there who is interested in starting up a project like this then contact me

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Go to Top of Page

Malice
Seeker

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  18:08:08  Show Profile  Visit Malice's Homepage Send Malice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Online comics? They have online comics?! Who caught their deaths and forgot to tell me??

"Khaless? Ha. Vel'bol zhah nindol 'khaless' dos telanth? d'usstan zhaun ol naut."
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2003 :  20:13:17  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an update to my earlier post. I have got someone to ink the comics. We are going to do all the coloring digitally using photoshop to keep the images sharp.

I also have someone who is going to do some coding in Flash, for a comic navigation system.

So we are just looking for budding artists now!

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  15:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malice

Online comics? They have online comics?! Who caught their deaths and forgot to tell me??

What do you mean? If you mean "I didn't know that Wizards had online comics" then you misunderstood me. This is something fan-based. It's by a non-native speaker of English, but the writing is pretty easy too understand. (At least it is for me; other people might be a bit too picky, but I doubt few of them are on here.)

(Oh, and some others here would be interested to know that it seems that when this guy, Kern, switched to non-D&D, he put the new chapters in three other languages. German, Italian, and French. Perhaps now Zemd & Co. will be interested? )

If the 'they' you're refering to is in the general sense, then there are many, many, many online comics. Some of them are even worth reading. I have bookmarks to several that might interest people on here, if anyone's interested. Drowtales.com is the only one that deals with FR in anyway, as limited as it is. But if you're interested, I'll post them here.

Strahd, what exactly are you looking for? And how skilled would the artist have to be?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  12:46:55  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well....take a look at the Kenzer and co. type of artwork for an idea of style.

http://www.kenzerco.com/images/periodicals/dnd/samples_sod/SoD_01_pg04.jpg

I woudln't expect that many folk on here can reach that quality unless you are an artist professionally or study art.

If anyone wants to send samples of their art, then please feel free to do so.

Thanks

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  15:47:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoo! I don't think I know anyone who can do that.

Go to Top of Page

Malice
Seeker

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2003 :  14:54:45  Show Profile  Visit Malice's Homepage Send Malice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::in awe:: wow... ::shakes off shock:: that's really amazing.

"Khaless? Ha. Vel'bol zhah nindol 'khaless' dos telanth? d'usstan zhaun ol naut."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2003 :  15:16:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of this is great material. I used to check in semi-regularly, but it looks as though the work there is getting better than it was several months ago. I will have to keep watching.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  08:19:27  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you mean to say that you've visited Drowtales before? The way you said it seemed a touch confusing to me. Or maybe I'm too tired.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  08:30:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant that I visited Drow Tales last March, but the work was not very good. I don't mean that it was poor, but with all my comic collecting, I would sometimes compare that work against, the artwork, of say, such titles as Uncanny X-Men, or Iron Man.

But just lately the work there has been greatly improved. I will have to check in regularly, I think.

May your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  08:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might have hit upon a guest spot. Kern's skills with Photoshop are pretty good -- they were even back in his first pages, though you can really see the difference.

As for quality, I compare art and writing to what I can do, or to what most people can do. I try to live by the rule if you can't do better, or think of a specific way for that person to do better, then just accept it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  09:01:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A good rule.

It was simply the way I saw things at the time.

Oh well,

May your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  00:14:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. No one’s asked to have any links to other online comics that might be of interest to the sort of people who frequent Candlekeep; no one even mentioned that they had been interested in Drow Tales. As such, I had (reluctantly) planned not to list any. I love to plug things that I like (gee, have you noticed that?) but I didn’t want to put up things no one would be interested in.

However, I’m breaking that little resolution for at least one time. In other words, I’d like to take this moment to spotlight another comic that I just recently found. Well, I’d known about it for about two weeks, but it was just another bookmarked, possibly-interesting page until two days ago.

The comic is called Dungeon Damage. As the name suggests, it’s a comic that’s based on D&D. Okay, so it doesn’t necessarily follow that it’s D&D -- there are some rip-offs out there that have ‘Dungeon’ in the title for just that reason (‘Dungeon Dice Monsters,’ anyone?). But in this case it is. It’s the log of a campaign that was done using (mostly) third edition D&D. The difference between it and the sort of logs that are posted in the Adventuring section is that it’s in (full-page) comic form.

Mournblade especially will be interested in this, I guarantee. Why? Because the world of the campaign is an alternate Earth, and the altered part is what was added because of D&D. There was a brief OOC mention (the artist/DM always has a not-often-brief note under each page) of Aegyptian sorcery, for one. The Romans hung around for a little longer. They still fell the same way, but the Gothic tribes who did it have been replaced by elven barbarians. Farther east/south, the Muslims converted the gnoll tribes of Africa, making their armies even stronger. (No, that’s not racism. I admit I was surprised for a moment, but then realized -- gnolls are basically humanoid hyenas. Where else are you going to put them in an alternate Earth?)

After he hits his stride, he puts his OOC comments in a certain format: News (in case anyone’s interested in his life); History (historical information, both in real and made-up history -- I’m telling you, Mournblade, you’re going to like this); Art (running commentary on how satisfied he is with that page, or what he doesn’t like); and Game (what actually happened in the playing, what he changed due to artistic licence, and even some of the stuff on the DM’s side of the screen-shield, like the DC for saving throws or the map of the dungeon).

I haven’t finished the archives of this comic yet, but I wanted to share it with my fellow scribes. It’s interesting, it’s mildly humorous, it’s got your recommended daily dose of violence (and maybe some bit more), and it’s also D&D. How could I not link to it?

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 13 Jun 2003 00:18:33
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  06:07:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have an online comic site to add to these you have listed so far Bookwyrm. It is a strip detailing the 'zany' side to playing D&D. There is a substantial archive of past comics strips to look through and I myself, haven't checked through all of them, but if your interested in a few laughs, or just a giggle about this game we all love and enjoy, make sure you stop by Dungeons & Dorks.

Enjoy,

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  07:19:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm glad someone's finally taken a slight interest in this sort of thing. You hadn't mentioned it before.

::casts Bookwyrm's Bookmark::

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  08:00:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been my experience that a lot of people I know equate comics with illiteracy. I guess I was just a little reluctant to offer anything up.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  08:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To which I remind you that many people cast RPGs with the unsocial, geeky, withdrawn life.

Or, in another case: I'm a 21-year-old college student (university for certain other scribes elsewhere in the world ) who still plays with LEGOs. I love 'em. Some friends and I are collaborators on stop-motion filming with LEGOs. Right now we're filming a forty-five minute Star Wars parody, which we're calling Episode Square-Root-of Two. It's filmed mostly at 15 frames per second, so you do the math and find out how much time we're wasting on this. It's about ten seconds per shot, plus whatever time it takes to add SFX (lot of that -- we have real glowing lightsabers when our CGI expert's through with it) and to actually build the sets.

(10 x 15 x 45 x 60)seconds + time(sets) + time(CGI) + time(RL) = looooooong time. SM films are time-consuming even if it's your only job.

After that, we've got a fantasy movie that I'm writing myself. I will, of course, post a link to that one whenever we've got it ready. It was originally D&D, but I had to change that. One of our members' mother is an anti-RPG lady (she's never heard anything but bad about it until she and I got into a debate that touched on everything all the way to Tolkien) and I promised her that I'd not subject her son to D&D until and unless she says so (or he moves out of her house, which won't be soon since he's still in high school).

I keep my promises. She didn't know anything about the movie, but I switched some things around anyway. I didn't change much, since it wasn't going to be like a gaming feature, but it's no longer actually D&D. Of course, the viewer might not notice that. I guess the only real difference is that it's no longer called D&D.

I might detail it more in another scroll sometime. I'd have to ask Alaundo's permission, and I don't know if I'd do it anyway, but getting the opinions and suggestions of my fellow scribes might be useful. The only things my partners know how to make are comedies and parodies, and the only things fantasy they really know are summed up in Tolkien. Some fresh ideas might be helpful. We'll see.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  08:59:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LEGO's...

Well, I'm a 25-year-old part-time computer programmer (rest-of-the-time philosophy student) who construct's all of his BattleMechs out of LEGO's. In fact for campaigning with D&D miniatures, some of my tabletop buildings are constructed out of LEGO. It's great. I really enjoy it alot.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2003 :  18:14:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad, Sage! My opinion of you just went up a very large notch. Anyone who doesn't think that LEGOs are childish hasn't become unfun. (My own father, on the other hand . . . )

I wrote a college paper on LEGOs that got me an A. I rather liked that. I pointed out that they're used in college as well -- there's an engineering course at a place in Texas, USA that uses LEGOs as a standard teaching tool. There's another (I think it's in the Midwest) that uses them for cybernetics (they actually had a sort of battle-bot contest to see whose 'bot was the sturdiest or something). And of course, it's used for filming classes, since it's a ready-made prop set for stop-motion.

Anyway, back on target. Mournblade, I saw you looking in here. What do you think of the comic?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  08:04:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm said -
quote:
I'm glad, Sage! My opinion of you just went up a very large notch.
Am I to take it, that you had a low opinion of me then? .

Anyway, I have a few other comics to post, but my bookmarks are all at home, and I am at work, so I guess I'll post them when I get home.

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Jun 2003 08:05:36
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  08:18:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I managed to find one of the sites, during my break. It's here. It deals with mentions of D&D in other comics, and has some other interesting information. I haven't looked over the whole site yet, I only found it curious due to the D&D mentions in several other online comics linked to the site. Anyway, there might be something worthwhile there.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  23:19:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Sage. I'll look into it. That last one was a great choice, I can tell you.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  07:06:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

I have a few others, but the only link I had found to them was a site that seems to be temporarily down at the moment. I emailed the site for information, and they told me it should be back up sometime this week, so I will post the link when it is working.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  11:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that the site is picking up a little, is anyone interested in some more comics?

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 13 Jul 2003 11:33:53
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  11:39:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mournblade, I don't know if you've had a chance to read this thread since you came back; I'm still wondering if the Dungeon Damage comic is up your alley like I thought it would be.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  14:43:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I would like to see a little more, if you have more links to provide that is.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  15:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there's Heros in Training, a kind of silly comic where you see some characters training up to become PCs. And if you flunk, you're an NPC.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  15:06:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also Lovarian Adventures. It's a story based in a world built with D&D elements. Or at least RPG. It's pretty good so far, and the art is very nice.

The story here is that an old weapon is about to be found by the forces of darkness, and the heros have to get there first. Of course, it looks like it's a trick . . . maybe they're just making the bad guys' job easier?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  15:15:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had originally decided whether to post the link to the Heroes in Training (spelling Bookwyrm ), but I had thought that some might consider it too silly to reference here.

Oh well...it is still good nonetheless.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2003 :  15:16:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have bookmarked the other for further study later. It seems interesting after only a quick glance though.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000