Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Evereska Random Encounters
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2023 :  06:10:59  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello everyone. I've recently started a new campaign which will be featuring Evereska quite extensively once the characters reach the area. I've been looking through my old PDFs from 1E and 2E to try and help with random encounter charts, but I've not had much luck. Does anyone have any recommendations for encounters from 1st to 5th level? I'm running 5E for my wife and daughter if that helps, and the year is approximately 1320-1357 DR. I appreciate any assistance you all can give me.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 11 Oct 2023 06:12:53

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2023 :  06:13:44  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A generic Evereska Valley table would be like:

Roll 2d6 # Monster
2 1 Small Copper Dragon
3 1d4 Elf Druids (Always at least 2)
4 1d4 Centaurs (Always at least 2)
5 1d8+7 Pixies
6 1d4+3 elven commoners
7 2 Faerie Dragons
8 2d4+3 Satyrs
9 1d8+7 Sprites
10 1 Unicorn
11 (1d6)/2+5 elven warriors + 1 elven leader
12 1 Treant

For non-combat ones you can use any "fairy tale" and "fey" type things. Missing items
Talking animals
Psychedelic emanations from rings of mushrooms/stones
Strange areas of silence or noise (whispers, giggling)
Clearings that literally appear, travelling in a straight line actually sends you in circles, or other obvious spatial anomalies

An old Fey encounter I used for my daughter and friends: A unicorn with it's horn stuck in a tree. So first the PCs have to get the unicorn out of the tree. Next the unicorn asked for help vs the elf arcane trickster that tricked the unicorn into stabbing the tree with an illusion. My group of girls helped....and had the two sit down an apologize to each other....
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2023 :  06:28:28  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your response! I'll consider something along those lines, then. But what about combat encounters? My daughter played through Lost Mine of Phandelver and really enjoys the story and combat. I was really surprised, honestly. Are there any resources for what enemies might be found in the area?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2023 :  11:31:29  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cat, Great, Cath Shee

Although - by canon - they only inhabit the isle of Evermeet "now", they would fit in well within the borders of Evereska.

Cat, Elven

These may fulfill a support role to other beasts or Elves.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2023 :  09:32:16  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
297 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2023 :  06:35:01  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you want Evereska to be a hostile place, the fey/fairy tale way is the best way to go. So the list of Fey and Plants.

If you have Tasha's, check out the Supernatural Regions, specifically the Haunted table. Have them roll whenever they perform a trigger that you deem appropriate. One example in the book is "A creature gains the frightened condition," so consider either adding monsters that can frighten, like Ghosts, or copy/pasting something like the Quasit's Scare or the Sea Hag's Horrific Appearance onto a monster you already have.

Also take a look at Emotional Echoes, under Magical Phenomena. It's nothing game-changing, but putting a Fear or Sorrow aura on the place could really add to the atmosphere.

Will-o-Wisps are super creepy and very nasty monsters that aren't conspicuously dangerous at first. If the party doesn't attack strange floaty lights on sight, they'll find it unnerving that the lights follow them around, blinking in and out of existence. Play them like vultures — keeping their distance until a party member gets KOed, then moving in for the kill.
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1293 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2023 :  06:50:53  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bloodtide_the_red

Roll 2d6 # Monster
2 1 Small Copper Dragon
3 1d4 Elf Druids (Always at least 2)
4 1d4 Centaurs (Always at least 2)
5 1d8+7 Pixies
6 1d4+3 elven commoners
7 2 Faerie Dragons
8 2d4+3 Satyrs
9 1d8+7 Sprites
10 1 Unicorn
11 (1d6)/2+5 elven warriors + 1 elven leader
12 1 Treant

This seems oddly familiar; is it copied/inspired from a 3e <-> 3.5e encounter table?

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Vinzor Burrow
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2023 :  15:28:09  Show Profile Send Vinzor Burrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some good ones in Witchlight and Theros

Signed,
Vinzor Burrow of Chavyondat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000