Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How did you first come across the Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zaknafein
Seeker

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  04:47:20  Show Profile  Visit Zaknafein's Homepage Send Zaknafein a Private Message  Delete Topic
well? if you can remember that is, then how did you first come to be involved in the Forgotten Realms world?

as for me i was in EB and personally i love RPG games and i saw this game called Baldurs Gate. i bought for $20 and LOVED it. I'm also a reader, so in Barnes and Noble i saw these books with that same Forgotten Realms logo that was on the box of Baldurs Gate. I first read the Icewind Dale Trilogy and have fallen in love with the Forgotten Realms since.

Zaknafein Do'Urden: mentor, teacher, friend....To Zak, the one who inspired my courage. -Drizzt Do'Urden

Full plate and packing steel.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  05:25:10  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Ed's FR articles in Dragon magazine beginning in 1984 (for me). I was hooked as soon as I read "Six Very Special Shields".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  06:24:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I would have to say, it was when I went to my school library during a class in about late-1987 (I think), and picked up a newly published book called Darkwalker on Moonshae. For the first time I had found another source of great fantasy, something that would complement my passion for The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, something which would feed my imagination with fantastical creatures, long forgotten realms, crusty old wizards, gods of incredible power, and a mysterious force of life called Magic. I was hooked!.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  10:09:17  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message
My first experience with the realms was very disapointing. I read the Avatar Trilogy and found completly ununderstandable and boring. I tried once more and again i couldn't finish it. Then one of myh DM introduced via the RPG and i loved.
So i tried to read Shadowdale again... and i loved... and i bought all the other books in french
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  11:41:41  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
I've already answered this question, over in Average Realms Readers. However, I'll repost it here, since it's actually more in keeping with this scroll than the old one.

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm (26 Jan 2003 : 05:28:44)

First of all: Well-put, ArionElenim.

I am a (mostly) twenty-one-year-old (just another month) male from Maryland, USA. I first started reading Forgotten Realms when I noticed an interesting-looking book in my older brother's bookcase, called The Crystal Shard. Now, let me say that I was prejudiced against D&D books from when that same brother tried me out on Dragonlance. I didn't like it. Still don't. My brother thinks I'm crazy. You probably think I'm crazy. You may be right. But I digress.

However, the way he had organized (ha!) his books, he had all the R. A. Salvatore books in one place, seperate from the main body of Forgotten Realms books. I actually didn't notice the FR logo on the cover (paying little attention to covers anyway) and so started reading it. Ever since, I have been hooked.

Of course, not all FR books are as good as the Drizzt ones -- but there have been enough to keep me interested. I like this series as I like few others, due to its semi-unique feature: rather than following the adventures of a small band at different times, it's all about different people at the same time. It's a cross-section of an entire world, showing us glimpses into a reality more tangible than (I think) Dragonlance could ever be.

I don't read as much FR as I would like nowadays, having to keep up with other books squeezed in between college courses. But the Forgotten Realms shall always be special to me.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  18:31:26  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message
I first got into the Forgotten Realms when in about 1985 or so I began to see Advertisements for it in DRAGON. Then I started to read the Elminster articles, wondering WHERE he fits in with Bigby and Mordenkainen. Then the FR ist ed was published, and I picked up all of my belongings, summoned a portal, and moved from my Mom's house on 26 halsted street, to daggerford. I have sinced moved form there. My physical Body now lives in Motnclair NJ, but since that day my mind has lived in the realms.

IT was the first thing hobbywise to take me away from dremas of living on Tatooine.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  20:14:13  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well Met

Hmm, I recall a number of scribes talking of this in the past.

::rummidges through numerous rolled up scrolls::

Ahh, here it is, in this scroll. Please continue this discussion there instead.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2003 :  21:24:19  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Ah, yes . . . I thought there was another scroll on this subject. Thank you, Alaundo. I wasn't able to see it myself, but then I was in a bit of a hurry at the time . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2003 :  06:54:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
This new scroll is great, thanks Alaundo.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ShadowPavement
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2003 :  16:40:24  Show Profile  Visit ShadowPavement's Homepage Send ShadowPavement a Private Message
My first taste of the Realms came from a friend of mine in highschool. He managed to find the Icewind Dale trilogy squireled away in a corner of our school library. We were appartently the only people to ever take the books out.

After reading the first few pages of the crystal shard when Drizzt was attacked by the tundra yetti I was hooked.

Some people would complain if you hanged them with a brand new rope.
-Hanibal Smith
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2003 :  17:10:54  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
I wasn't buying Dragon regularly pre-Old Grey Box, so I didn't find the Realms until 1989 when I swallowed the campaign set, Forgotten Realms Adventures, and FR1 Waterdeep and the North pretty much in one go. I read Spellfire and the rest of the FR series soon after. I think that's pretty much the best introduction to the Realms possible short of playing in a really good Realms campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2003 :  17:12:08  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well Met

Ahem! ::thrusts scroll and quill at ShadowPavement and Faraer::

::scowl::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 30 May 2003 17:12:56
Go to Top of Page