Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Cancellation?! Tell me it ain't so!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Asator
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  06:30:54  Show Profile  Visit Asator's Homepage Send Asator a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi folks, well met. I'm a newb to the boards and am having a crisis.

Today I started work at a half priced book store and when asked by a new co-worker what kind of books I read, I told them that I am big into fantasy, specifically Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance and Ravenloft. So my new co-worker says, "Buy'em while you can, hahah..... You did hear that WotC is cancelling all their fantasy novels, right?"

I realized after a few moments that I am standing there with my mouth hanging open, staring at this person, trying not to burst into tears. "Are you serious?", I ask, like a child who was just told that Santa doesnt exsist..

They go on to tell me that since 4E was introduced, WotC plans on only focusing on the gaming aspect and not on the storytelling aspect. Now, I'll admit that I'm much more of a reader than a gamer, but to me they seem to go hand in hand, the games and the novels that is.

Now, after looking through some of the posts on this board I'm even more confused. Some lines are being cancelled, others arent, this is in, this is out...

Anyway, I'm wondering if someone can do me a favor and answer some of these questions, either in this thread or in PM, and save me the hassle of sorting through all the topics and threads to find the meat.

1. Are they going to stop publishing FR, DL and RL novels alltogether? I mean, after years and years of building these fantasitc worlds for us to hide in, are they really going to just shut off the light and close the door?

2. Are they only going to stop publishing stories from certain authors? If so, how many series will forever be incomplete?

3. I read something like, they want to jump the 4E FR storyline 100 years ahead. Does that mean that if they do continue to publish FR novels, that they will only take place after this 100 year jump? If so, what happens to all the characters that would be dead by then, do their stories just "end"?

Thanks so much for your time

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  06:38:42  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have not announced the end of FR novels.

In fact, two authors recently announced that they are working on a new FR trilogy (PSK & RLB).

The 100-years timeline jump and the Spellplague is true.

What is also true, is that the designers are doing some efforts to make the different settings a more "core D&D" experience (e.g. no special cover color & logo for the FR books).

Also, only a few books (3) per setting will be initially released, some could get more in the future.

Removing Mystra's influence over magic was partially done for the same reason (Magic in FR = Magic in D&D).

Making clerics and paladins independant from their gods to use their prayers is a similar move.

About DL, the famous Dragons of the Hourglass Mage was recently confirmed, but I don't know much more.

Edited by - Skeptic on 31 Jul 2008 06:52:36
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  06:55:50  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a scroll discussing the news here:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11249

As far as I know they aren't going to cancel Forgotten Realms. That said there has not been a clear statement from Wazzacks of the Cost. As such the rumour mill is working overtime.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  12:42:18  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the interests of clarity, let me note that when Skeptic says this:

Also, only a few books (3) per setting will be initially released

he is referring to 3 gaming sourcebooks. As far as I know, FR novels will keep coming out with the same frequency as before. Certainly, over the course of the next couple years, there will be many more than 3.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  14:19:04  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

....What is also true, is that the designers are doing some efforts to make the different settings a more "core D&D" experience (e.g. no special cover color & logo for the FR books).....

I have not heard that before. Does anyone know what they are planning for cover?

Generic D&D for all without FR name and logo??

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  18:34:03  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I have not heard that before. Does anyone know what they are planning for cover?

Generic D&D for all without FR name and logo??

Again, I was talking about game books, not novels.
Go to Top of Page

Asator
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  01:51:08  Show Profile  Visit Asator's Homepage Send Asator a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got it. Thanks for the fast answers everyone. As long as the novels dont stop coming, or go through any really drastic changes, I'm good. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  02:42:18  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
he may be right about Dragonlance and some others, isn't WoTC dropping it?

The novels will be placed in the 1470s though

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.

Edited by - MerrikCale on 07 Aug 2008 03:15:54
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  08:07:09  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the contrary .. they will publish more novels than ever...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Nkoda
Acolyte

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2008 :  01:03:19  Show Profile  Visit Nkoda's Homepage Send Nkoda a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess no more DL after 2009 which is what I heard. Moot point though... the world ends in 2012 anyways.

Welcome to Jamrock
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  17:30:07  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not canceling Realms. What Wizards of the Coast IS doing is canceling/closing/hiring all projects that have nothing to do with Magic the Gathering or Dungeons & Dragons. They have that children's book publisher... Mirrorstone I think it's called, puts out a lot of non-D&D stuff, no more.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000