Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Next CLASS series of novels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  15:56:50  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Ok so we had the Rogues series and the Priests series. We will be getting the Fighters and then the Wizards. Which class series do you want to see most come afterwards??

Choices:

The Bards
The Druids
The Rangers
The Sorcerors
The Barbarians
The Monks
The Paladins
The Prestige
The Commoners
Other (explain in post)

(Anonymous Vote)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  16:00:43  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted the Commoners because it would be interesting to have more stories akin to the one in "Spine of the World" (and I am not referring to the half of the book dedicated to Wulfgar). Just to get a grasp of life for commoners. It could be anything from romance stories set in the realms to horror stories where there are no adventurers nearby to confront the evil. There are a plethora of possibilities with this.

Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  16:14:17  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I’d like to see a focus on more multiclass characters. But what would they name that? The “Can’t make up their mind” series, or, hehe, the “Twinked out Ubermunch!” series! =P

I guess it goes against the grain of having a class series, but I prefer when the character doesn’t fit directly into an archtype. Remember the first Drizz’t book when he’s picking locks?

But, if forced to vote on just one class, I’d guess I would have to say Sorcerers. That would be fun, I think. These wild talents blowing stuff up. Might be a challenge though, considering that Sorcerers seem to work okay as a game mechanic, but might be tougher to explain in a “real life” context.

I chose to view the votes before I replied, and now I can’t go back and get the option to vote. :(

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  18:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Rogues series included Bards and Rogues, The Priests included Clerics and Paladins, I am sure The Wizards series will include both wizards and sorcerers, and we know it includes at least one prestige class. Each book in The Fighters series focuses on a different PrC if the titles are any indication. That really only leaves the wilderness classes and monks to be covered.

My guess is they would make a Ranger/Druid series, although a monk series would be interesting. Seeing things through Sefris' point of view in The Black Bouquet was interesting, I'd love to see more of that. A series focusing on NPC classes is highly unlikely, but I agree it could be interesting. I don't think a whole series on commoners would go over all that well, but maybe one book for each NPC class?

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  20:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The rogue books I read was cool, but classes is IMO a horrible theme for a novel series. FR books should focus on great stories, not rules concepts like classes.

I would very much like to see a series of Waterdeep books, religous books, cloak & dagger stuff, planar books, roguish books, pirate books and so on. Not classes.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  20:22:41  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd much prefer to see novels featuring adventuring companies than lone heroes or single-class organizations.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  20:30:20  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted other.I really think that after the 4 classes that they are doing,or have done.This should be the end.No need to do paladins,druids,monks etc..etc..I think it would be rather boring after a while...Faraer has a great idea about adventuring companies.There quite a few out there that have gotten some ink in accessory books.How about some novel material about them?????

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  20:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I'd much prefer to see novels featuring adventuring companies than lone heroes or single-class organizations.

I would like that as well, I think that's the main reason I liked The Rage as much as I did. We do have the Knights of Myth Drannor to look forward to.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  21:02:45  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll gladly second this. Actualy adventuring companies would be the way to go.

I honestly think that all the CLASS novels that are coming out now are exist to find "the next Drizz't".

Hopefully the Knights of Myth Drannor books will sell very well, and we will get more group novels.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  23:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, Drizzt emerged from the Companions of the Hall, not a deliberate attempt to engineer a popular hero. Erevis Cale appeared in an anthology. If 'next Drizzt' is the goal, more protagonists = more chances.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2005 :  02:02:01  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for The Prestige myself because I would enjoy reading about assassin or dwarven defender characters.

Of course, the term "assassin" is quite a bit generalized as anyone who kills for payment could be considered an assassin. Lol.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SomeDude
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2005 :  05:22:35  Show Profile  Visit SomeDude's Homepage Send SomeDude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted barbarian. I would love to read more about the different Uthgardt tribes.

This is the highest my post count has ever been.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2005 :  07:14:19  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted paladin instead, it would be nice to see how the Realms' paladins in action and how they deal with the various evil faiths while questioning their own faith. A tale of a paladin turned faithless then back to faithful would be not so bad at all.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2005 :  11:24:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

I voted paladin instead, it would be nice to see how the Realms' paladins in action and how they deal with the various evil faiths while questioning their own faith. A tale of a paladin turned faithless then back to faithful would be not so bad at all.

We've actually had that before, but not in novel form. In the comics, we saw Priam Agrivar, a paladin, fall from grace when he arms were withered by a magical attack. He turned to alcohol, and was living on the streets of Waterdeep.

He later got a chance to find a magical item that would return strength to his arms. He got it, and slew the guy that had withered his arms. After that, he cleaned up and resumed being a paladin.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2005 :  14:56:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I quite agree.

Ed's Knights trilogy is a very good start.

By extention, and concentrating more on organisations rather than adventuring companies, most of the Harpers novels come close, but the not close enough.

Of course, a series focusing on the creation of the Moonstars and perhaps elaborating more on the reasons for their creation would be a dream worthy of consideration, at least for me (and I know there's probably one other scribe here who will agree with me ecstatically ).

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Jun 2005 14:57:55
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2005 :  17:14:07  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, perhaps a series about the Zhentarim? It would be nice to able to read more about Manshoon and Fzoul, and how they run their organization.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2005 :  18:55:45  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't want them thinking about another CLASS series until the Bladesinger novel is back in the fighter line up and coming out SOON.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2005 :  23:49:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I quite agree.

Ed's Knights trilogy is a very good start.

By extention, and concentrating more on organisations rather than adventuring companies, most of the Harpers novels come close, but the not close enough.

Of course, a series focusing on the creation of the Moonstars and perhaps elaborating more on the reasons for their creation would be a dream worthy of consideration, at least for me (and I know there's probably one other scribe here who will agree with me ecstatically ).

Ooh, ooh, are you referring to me?

Truly, rather than the class novels (which I have admittedly not read any of, yet), I'd rather see novels focusing on various power groups (other than the Harpers, obviously). A book or two on groups like the Eldreth Veluuthra, the Tel'Teukiira (written by Steven Schend, of course), the Twisted Rune, the Zhentarim, and so on...

Ooh, and how about a Manshoon trilogy? Have each book be loosely tied together, but each focusing on a different Manshoon clone (ideally, to me, at least one book would focus on a Manshoon other than the "official" three).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  03:25:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Sage, perhaps a series about the Zhentarim? It would be nice to able to read more about Manshoon and Fzoul, and how they run their organization.

You're right DDH_101. A series focusing exclusively on the Zhentarim would be a real hoot! However, and as much as it pains me to say this, I'd be interested in learning a little more about Fzoul to begin with. We already know a little about Manshoon, and Fzoul's received the odd treatment here and there, but I'd like to read more if the opportunity ever presented itself.

quote:
Ooh, ooh, are you referring to me?
I'm surprised you even had to ask old friend .

quote:
Truly, rather than the class novels (which I have admittedly not read any of, yet), I'd rather see novels focusing on various power groups (other than the Harpers, obviously). A book or two on groups like the Eldreth Veluuthra, the Tel'Teukiira (written by Steven Schend, of course), the Twisted Rune, the Zhentarim, and so on...

Having a published Tel'Teukiira book written by Sage Schend would rank right alongside Ed's Knights trilogy in my opinion. The Twisted Rune is another, with the Rundeen following close behind.

And while we're on the subject of wishing for what novels *could* be... I'd definitely place a vote down for something based on the Imaskari -- though not an "organisation", they certainly would provide an intriguing focus for a novel I think.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  04:30:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To answer one sorta implied question back there: In the Fighters series, the base class (fighter, ranger, barbarian, paladin) is kind of open game -- I'm pretty sure there's at least one barbarian in the lineup, but don't quote me on that.

I've long seen the "Classes" series as a followup to "The Cities". . . so you know this (what's next) could be broadened as well. . .

Who knows?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  05:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've actually done a bit of my own predictions on this topic on my own. First, let's analyze patterns in the standalone series (oxymorons!):

The Rogues
The Priests
The Fighters
The Wizards
The Nobles
The Cities
The Harpers
The Lost Empires
Sembia

Well, apart from Sembia, we have all series focusing on 'the people' and two on 'the places.' Therefore, I propose the next series will focus a little more on 'the places' and a few on 'the people.'
Here are my possible predictions:

The Secrets/Mysteries/Legends
The Urchins/Commoners/People
The Heroes
The Villains
The Dungeons
The Monsters

Any thoughts, agreements, or predictions?

PS, voting 'The Commoners.' I'm sure it will happen in some form.

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.

Edited by - Smyther on 01 Jul 2005 05:10:05
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  06:18:41  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kind of like The Villians idea

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  08:27:00  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps one of the prestige.
We have for example Danica(monk),many series of sorcerers and wizards,bards and paladins in Songs & swords, rangers in Legend of the Drizzt, so my vote goes to Prestige. Something different would be nice..
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  08:32:24  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say the "commoners" would also be a better idea besides the paladins I voted, it would be good for a change to see how commoners fare in the Realms rather than be seen as monster fodder or fodder for some RSE or villain plots. I would rather see a commoner in the Realms rise to a hero status through unexpected circumstances than watch them end up as some kind of fodder.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.

Edited by - Shadovar on 02 Jul 2005 08:33:06
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  12:51:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted other because frankly...I just don't care what the next class series of novels ends up being. I simply want novels with good writing. That's something I haven't always encountered in the class series of novels.
Go to Top of Page

Enialus Meliamne
Acolyte

Portugal
43 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  13:36:28  Show Profile  Visit Enialus Meliamne's Homepage Send Enialus Meliamne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I'm a ranger, paladin and cleric fan, I'm for party books myself mainly :-) Once I catch up on my reading from the old school books in FR, I'll head back to the Rage line of books. But that will be a while off yet since I have the Elminster series, Songs and Swords, Starlight and Shadows, Return of the Archwizards, etc to finish And incidently, I voted ranger class for class specific series since priests were just covered.

Unashamed RAS fan.

Unashamed fan of THE Drow Elf Ranger.

Reader of any author in FR who entertains or weaves a good yarn.

Edited by - Enialus Meliamne on 02 Jul 2005 13:38:52
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  01:58:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like The Dungeons is the next series...

Go to Top of Page

DeathRage
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  02:09:57  Show Profile  Visit DeathRage's Homepage Send DeathRage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Really, then please, tell me what will it be about?

Take the world as it is, not as it ought to be
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  13:44:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DeathRage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Really, then please, tell me what will it be about?

Check out this blog.
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  19:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good lord, a prediction came true?! Honestly, I had no idea about this Dungeons series when I thought about it - it just made sense. I wonder what dungeons they will be covering? (I think Undermountain could be excluded due to a profusion of products and novels in that area).
Mmm, better get writing in case of an open call...

And so the class novels do come to an end.

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  19:52:40  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Too bad there won't be an Undermountain novel by Ed Greenwood.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000