Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Worst Roleplayer Ever
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  12:44:55  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I don't know about everyone else, but I sometimes feel like the worst roleplayer ever...

No matter what game im playing i can hardly ever play an evil character. I almost always end up playing a paladin or some other good aligned character, and if i ever try playing an evil character, i end up giving up, because i dont enjoy it.

Does anyone else get this same problem?

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  14:43:27  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have major problems to play any kind of character even if, IMO, i'm better for some (Wizards,Sorcerors,Rogues and more chaotic than loyal)
But the point is that no one is a bad role player. If you don't enjoy playing evil characters, just don't play it. A good role player is a player that enjoys the game he is playing. If you like playing LG characters and that you're not bored and that you are able to make them all differents by adding a personal touch... just do it
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  15:00:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with that zemd. I have never really role-played badly, although this is highly subjective, since others may think otherwise.

I have had some difficulty playing barbarians, and to an extent even fighters. For some reason I cannot get into the 'mindset' of role-playing this type of character. I normally shy away from such roles, although when you are the DM, it becomes a lot harder to avoid. I have always been more motivated to playing wizards, clerics, and bards.

Alignments I really don't have a problem with, except for LG. I find this alignment very restricting (as it is supposed to be) and limits a lot of what I normally set out to achieve role-playing certain PC's.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  17:19:06  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think having a favored alignment is a sign of bad role-playing. I have played every type of alignment but I tend to favor the good old true neutral.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  18:02:44  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that not being able to play something isn't a bad sign. That's a lot like an art professor saying she's a bad teacher because she can't swap places with the guy teaching advanced nuclear physics.

I also can't play an evil alignment. I'm not sure if that's just because I don't have the necessary experience, but it still stands. And I also couldn't play a barbarian or a half-orc; I'm still unable to separate my own mind that much from my character's; I such an intellectual (translation: geek) that I couldn't play anyone who didn't have brains. That is, no less than a +3 Int modifier. I might do a +2, but only with some character types.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  01:41:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been playing D&D for 15 years Bookwyrm and I still can't separate myself and my PC's personae. As I said before I normally tend to play wizards, bards (normally as a loremaster), and sometimes even clerics (normally of Oghma or Deneir). I would also describe myself as an intellectual role-player who enjoys liked minded character classes.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  01:46:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for my Int Modifier, +3 sounds good, but that would also mean that I'd have a base Int ability score of at least 16-17.

Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  04:15:29  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there you go. If you don't enjoy it, then it turns into a chore and not something you look forward to. That doesn't mean you're a bad roleplayer, my friend.
I believe anyone who can take any type of character, good or evil, male or female, and play it well, is better at roleplaying than those who can't. It's a skill, and some are just better at it than others.
The main thing is that the fun is always there regardless of what you play. If it is, then there is no such thing as a bad roleplayer.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  04:18:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'The main thing is to have fun', you are very right about that Yasraena.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  06:05:37  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can roleplay evil characters, but I think we need to put a time frame into this. I can roleplay just about anything for a night. Any alignment at all. I have had to do it alot with the live action. But to COMMIT to something in a game is another story. I cannot ever commit to a green skin (orc, troll, goblin, ogre), or even a DWARF for that matter. I have made lots of characters over the years and only two of them have been dwarves. And they have been characters I never really got attached too.

I have also played just about every class. The only one I don't like and don't think I can commit to is the MONK.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  07:38:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never played a half-orc, or a dwarf as character races, and I have never played a barbarian, fighter, or even a paladin for more than one game session. I have either retired from the game, or found some alternative way to change the character and class I was role-playing that I did not like.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  07:56:40  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The point is what's a good roleplayer?
For me it's someone that can put depth in any of his character. Adding this litlle extra details that makes his character more than a character sheet. You'll remember it by saying "the one who add this little problems with the guards' wives" and not "the one who had 18 in charisma".
A good roleplayer won't fall in the archetype of his character. He will find an intersting background, a good name and a physical and mental description of his character.
And as i say before, he will enjoy playing his character but maybe more important, the players and the DM will enjoy playing with him.

PS: When i refer to the player as 'him' i hesitated between 'him' or 'it'. For example it would give 'extra details that makes its character'
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  08:28:34  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find myself quite xenophobic in who i play, althought not all in my party members. My party is always a rainbow of hues and colours, but my main character is almost always human or half elf.

I think one of the reasons i find it so easy to play LG, is because when i read the description, i found a lot of myself in there. It shocked me, i dont want to be so hard***ed, so im trying to branch out.

The main reason im complaining about not being able to play evil characters was from a PC game viewpoint, where i actually miss out on a good half of the game simply because i dont do the evil things.

I want to say i want to learn to better myself, but it sounds quite strange i want to better myself by being evil, but im sure you guys know what i mean. I want to improve my roleplaying

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  09:56:37  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think what you should do is roleplay an easy villain. Not a complicated background, easy and simple motivation (stealing, make the other suffer, killing, or anything else the simple villain do) Take the example of one of your favorite villain and act like him. I'm sure that after a few try you'll be able to add depth to your character, cause no one is completly evil.
A CE character is the easiest IMO. Just think selfish, you are the best the others are worms. NE and LE are much harder. The NE gives you the true evil guy which isn't tied to any kind of rules but who understands why they exist. The LE is a quite strange concept, it shows us the difference Law and good. And in our RL we are not used to make the difference. When you use the law at your own ends, you can be supported by the local governement and what you do is completly legal but evil (No, i'm not thinking of a recent war)
Go to Top of Page

PathWarden
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  20:22:21  Show Profile  Visit PathWarden's Homepage Send PathWarden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my years of roleplaying I have played a vast variety of characters. I have been a paladin, an assassin, rogue, ranger, mage, cleric, you name it, I have most likely played it. I have been everything from lawful good to chaotic evil. I try to have fun with each of them, and to make each character unique. I think it makes the game more interesting to play a diverse characters and to make each one an individual.

I have a friend that plays, and no matter what sort of character or alignment he plays, all of his characters act exactly alike. Their mannerisms, speach, actions, etc are all identical. Now that is more a candidate for worst role player of all time than simply not being fond of playing an evil character.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  20:22:45  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think you are missing out on anything Muad dib. You are just not into the evil roleplaying. I have 2 evil characters I like that I have created. As a DM though it is easy to get your 'evil' side out because you have to roleplay villains. I have some EXCELLENT evil villains that hte players STILL talk about. Shakespear talked about Negative Capability. You have to be able to withdraw yourself form the character and let the character do what they will do. My villains do some things that would abhor me. But I just let them do what THEY decide to do. Sometimes I feel like I don't have that much control over them

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Vallandar
Acolyte

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2003 :  23:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Vallandar's Homepage Send Vallandar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally I play LN, LE, NG or NE characters. I could probably roleplay most types of characters (except gnomes and stereotypical halflings) though I would have problems identifying with them.

'The sinews of war, unlimited money'
- Cicero
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  01:49:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had never really considered role-playing an evil character either until I had read through some interesting material in the 3e tomes Book of Vile Darkness and Encyclopedia Arcane: Demonology. There is a creative selection of gaming information in both of these tomes to help you play both LE, and CE type PC's. In fact I think I have made more use of 'Demonology', than I have of the BoVD.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  01:52:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The same could also be said for LG and CG PC's. Book of Hallowed Might, and the two Bonds of Magic tomes also displayed the richness of variety a gamer can experience when role-playing a highly restricted alignment like LG. The Bonds of Magic series also includes some interesting pre-generated LG PC's, and NPC's that can be used in your home campaign.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  07:57:14  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And in October will be released the book of exalted deeds, which is the equivalent of the book of vile darkness but for good characters
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  08:01:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if there was/would be a book like that. I was thinking maybe you don't really need as much of a book on goodness as you do on making a proper evil for your party to destroy. (Or try to. )

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  08:01:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is right. Although with the material presented in the two Bonds of Magic books (which I highly recommend for all you paladin and good aligned clerics out there), there probably won't be anything I have not already seen.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  08:03:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't have thought so either Bookwyrm, but Bonds of Magic really opened my eyes as to the potential of LG paladin type characters, and other goodly-aligned character classes.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  13:01:51  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad they'll released such book. As Evil can be incarnated in a lot of ways, good can have different flavors. I'd also like the equivalent of Lords of Darkness which could describe the Lords of Waterdeep, the Harpers,...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  14:16:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think there were originally plans to create such a tome for the good-aligned organisations of the Realms, although I have not heard anything about this lately. The last time it was mentioned was on the WotC update column back in January.

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  16:00:33  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked this last year at GenCon to James Wyatt and he answers that they didn't plan to make such book. I'm glad they thought of it again. I'll check on wizards.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2003 :  16:15:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll try and find the article here in my archives. I think I remember saving a copy of that particular article because it also detailed a alternate ghost template which was different from the one presented in the MM.

Go to Top of Page

Osmo
Acolyte

Australia
14 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2003 :  13:30:54  Show Profile  Visit Osmo's Homepage Send Osmo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alignement to me is not such a problem, any is good. That doesn't mean I've got a perdisposition to run out and kill or donate all my money to charity. What that means for me is that I draw on life experiance, movies, people I know - like and dislike and incorporate the into my character. I get just as much fun out of pretending to be somebody as I do when I play facets of my own character.. I still have my preferred class and alignment but I'll give anything a go. Ultimately the pendulum will swing all over the place anyway, like a broken spedo.

I'm Tae Fisher..The loveable rogue.:)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000