Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  18:56:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Hi Elaine,

I'm going to start reading your wonderful novels based on so many recommendations. Are there any plans to make an omnibus collection of your early works? I know you recently said that eBook versions were coming out, but I'm a paperbook kind of person.

Many kind regards!

Hi, Sevarin.

I'm not aware of plans for omnibus editions. If something develops, though, I'll post the news here. :)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2012 :  17:50:45  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Crossing the Streams contest is over, and the winners have been announced. Though I haven't run many contests in the past, this one convinced me to make it a regular part of my website. I enjoyed reading your responses and comments, and I hope you'll stop by my website from time to time to see if the current contest catches your interest.

If you've been reading my Tales of Sevrin books, or think you might like to, follow this link to the Contests page of my website for details.

http://www.elainecunningham.com/contests/

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2012 :  23:04:19  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Been meaning to show off this for a while - thought you might enjoy seeing it. (And don't worry, I don't keep the books next to the window unless I'm photographing them.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2012 :  23:40:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Been meaning to show off this for a while - thought you might enjoy seeing it. (And don't worry, I don't keep the books next to the window unless I'm photographing them.

:)
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  02:52:53  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any update on the TSD, Elaine?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  15:21:01  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's no question to ask a lady, Fellfire! And quite insulting to her husband to boot.

spoiler: Yeah, couldn't resist. Sorry Elaine.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  16:51:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's no question to ask a lady, Fellfire! And quite insulting to her husband to boot.

I think you're thinking of an STD, Kajehase. But I'm mildly dyslexic, so what do I know?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  17:07:49  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Any update on the TSD, Elaine?

Nothing new, Fellfire.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  17:22:55  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh dear. Thanks, Elaine.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  18:36:26  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

I think you're thinking of an STD, Kajehase. But I'm mildly dyslexic, so what do I know?

It wouldn't be a very good parody of looking-for-any-reason-to-act-insulted internet behaviour if it'd been the right abbreviation, would it?

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  19:22:37  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It wouldn't be a very good parody of looking-for-any-reason-to-act-insulted internet behaviour if it'd been the right abbreviation, would it?

True.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2012 :  20:03:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In case anyone might be wondering what sort of stories I write OUTSIDE of the Realms, here's a twelve-part answer:

http://www.elainecunningham.com/2012/04/12/just-keep-weaving/

The link leads to a post on my author website about JUST KEEP WEAVING, a collection of twelve short stories. These range widely in tone and topic, including urban fantasy, ghost stories, historical fantasy, Arthurian legends retold, flash fiction, and tales inspired by myth and legends. You'll find elves here, but the linchetto of Tuscan folklore are nothing at all like Toril's elves. The pirates are more historical than hearty, the witches include a medieval strega and a suburban kitchen witch.

The collection is available as an ebook. Links to Kindle, Nook, and Smashwords are included on the link above. For people who prefer print to digital, I hope to have a print version available in May.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I hope you enjoy the stories.

Best,
ec

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 17 Apr 2012 20:17:50
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2012 :  16:12:31  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A new Sevrin lore post is up on my website. This is setting information of the sort gamers will recognize as "fluff." It also hints at events in the upcoming Tales of Sevrin novel WORD OF HONOR, the third book of the Thorn Trilogy.

http://www.elainecunningham.com/2012/04/21/the-captains-keep/
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2012 :  11:43:33  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice lore, Mrs. Cunningham! Although I'm not following Sevrin lore regularly, the detail of those pieces always enchant me.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2012 :  19:16:38  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to say I finally got my hands on "Dark Journey" in a local library. The chapters from the Yuuzhan Vong and Chiss and Hapan perspective were excellent!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2012 :  20:10:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

I wanted to say I finally got my hands on "Dark Journey" in a local library. The chapters from the Yuuzhan Vong and Chiss and Hapan perspective were excellent!

]

Glad to hear you enjoyed the story. :)
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2012 :  16:08:11  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine, I am deeply disappointed that TSD seems to be on hold indefinitely. I was looking forward to reading more about Tincheron. Are there perhaps any short stories you have composed about this character that you would be able to share, other than what's been published? Even just a brief history? Or dare I ask, 3.5 stats? As always, thank you for your time and dedication to your fans.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 16 Jun 2012 16:17:51
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2012 :  04:59:27  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have found a interesting tendency for female authors, who have female leads to be often asked if they have imposed some of their own personalities into their character, does this conception, or perhaps misconception happen to you with some degree of frequency?

Furthermore, what part of the writing process do you find most enjoyable?

Please paredn me if these questions are to personal, or if they have been asked before in this thread, I've not gone through the entirity of it yet. Thanks in advance for whatever you wish to answer, respectfully, Sightless

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  02:19:13  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Elaine, I am deeply disappointed that TSD seems to be on hold indefinitely. I was looking forward to reading more about Tincheron. Are there perhaps any short stories you have composed about this character that you would be able to share, other than what's been published? Even just a brief history? Or dare I ask, 3.5 stats? As always, thank you for your time and dedication to your fans.

Hi, Fellfire.

Unfortunately, I don't have any additional stories about Tincheron, and I've never assigned stats to him. But I would like to return to him eventually. As a half-dragon (actually, he's a lot more elf than dragon), he would be long-lived enough to survive the 4E time jump. If someone develops, I'll be sure to post the news here.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  02:31:05  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

I have found a interesting tendency for female authors, who have female leads to be often asked if they have imposed some of their own personalities into their character, does this conception, or perhaps misconception happen to you with some degree of frequency?

Hi, Sightless.

People make all kinds of assumptions about writers from the characters and themes they write about, but I'm not certain this has anything to do with being female. I suspect that male writers are frequently asked similar questions. Frankly, I'm more often asked if I base characters on people I know. And people who know me are more likely to see connections to some of my male characters--Danilo Thann the smartass bard, Fyodor the Slavic storyteller, Matteo the scholar.

quote:
Furthermore, what part of the writing process do you find most enjoyable?

I vastly prefer the revision process to the first draft. Pulling a story out of the air is a long, slow process for me. I'm much happier once I have something to work with.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  02:46:22  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Elaine. I have begun to re-read Windwalker and question has come up, when Danilo goes to Blackstaff tower to meet with Khelben to discuss Liriel's impending arrival we are briefly introduced to Sharllara of the Vindrith clan. Laeral goes on to state that she is NOT a gold-elf, despite appearances and the assumptions of the archmage. Has it been revealed just what she IS? I admit it has been a long while since I've read this particular book and I'm not nearly done.

edit: Despite a different spelling of the surname, the FR Wiki names her as a star-elf. Is this correct? Is she a character that you created?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 18 Jun 2012 02:50:48
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  03:21:44  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, Elaine. I have begun to re-read Windwalker and question has come up, when Danilo goes to Blackstaff tower to meet with Khelben to discuss Liriel's impending arrival we are briefly introduced to Sharllara of the Vindrith clan. Laeral goes on to state that she is NOT a gold-elf, despite appearances and the assumptions of the archmage. Has it been revealed just what she IS? I admit it has been a long while since I've read this particular book and I'm not nearly done.

edit: Despite a different spelling of the surname, the FR Wiki names her as a star-elf. Is this correct? Is she a character that you created?

Yes, Sharlarra is a star elf, and yes, she was created for WINDWALKER.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  04:37:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, though, Sharlarra was never exclusively named as such.

We know star elves were first introduced in 3e FR, namely the Unapproachable East tome. However, Elaine has also told in the past that she obtained a copy of the manuscript for the tome from WotC and read it for continuity. I'm assuming that's also because Elaine wanted to research ways in which she could to tie the novel more closely with the new lore on the star elves. Though, I could be wrong...

So to put it simply... star elves may have had a place in the Realms "before" the official release of UE, but it wasn't until the tome was available to the public that readers could finally recognise what Shalarra was when they read the entry about the star elves in the sourcebook.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  07:36:33  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having just finished that excellent book I can tell you definitively she was never specifically named as such in that book.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2012 :  12:45:31  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

As I recall, though, Sharlarra was never exclusively named as such.

We know star elves were first introduced in 3e FR, namely the Unapproachable East tome. However, Elaine has also told in the past that she obtained a copy of the manuscript for the tome from WotC and read it for continuity. I'm assuming that's also because Elaine wanted to research ways in which she could to tie the novel more closely with the new lore on the star elves. Though, I could be wrong...

No, you're exactly right. According to UE, star elves had been leaving their home plan for a while, due to some unspecified threat. So it seemed entirely plausible that Sharlarra was one such refugee.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  12:03:11  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Mrs. Cunningham, yesterday I was reading again about Lord Erlan Duirsar in Elfshadow, and found this wonderful text:

"Erlan Duirsar gazed out the window to the courtyard below, a vast square ringed by buildings of enspelled pink crystal. Elvencrafted with the whimsical asymmetry and solid practicality that characterized the work of moon elves, the buildings housed most of the lords and ladies who sat on the council. Both the duties and privileges of government were shared by all in Evereska, and the common elves frequently gathered in the square for ritual, festivity, or contentious town meetings. It was his voice, however, that issued the final word on such matters as now confronted the city. Erlan Duirsar kept this thought before him as he strode into the meeting hall to address the council. A powerful and proud group, the elves studied him with varied degrees of curiosity and impatience.
'I know that you all have important business elsewhere, but I must ask that you remain here in counsel this night. Evereska may need the special talents of each elf here.'
'What's going on?' demanded the head of the College of Magic.
'Bran Skorlsun has come to the Greycloak Hills', said Erlan Duirsar simply.
It was explanation enough."

After reading it, I realized that those elves are not cited anymore in the book, and so I ask: what have they done that night? Which talents were needed, and were they used, after all? Or have Khelben so much influence that the elves decided not to interfere for some reason (although I think they would actually help Arilyn and Danilo)?

Other questions: how much of this story was passed along to humans and people in general by Danilo's songs? How could he tell his story without mentioning the Elfgate? How much about the moonblades became general knowledge? I assume it was not widely known by non-elves before his tales.

Thank you in advance, and I hope life is treating you very well!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 20 Jun 2012 12:07:19
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  15:57:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Dear Mrs. Cunningham, yesterday I was reading again about Lord Erlan Duirsar in Elfshadow, and found this wonderful text:

"Erlan Duirsar gazed out the window to the courtyard below, a vast square ringed by buildings of enspelled pink crystal. Elvencrafted with the whimsical asymmetry and solid practicality that characterized the work of moon elves, the buildings housed most of the lords and ladies who sat on the council. Both the duties and privileges of government were shared by all in Evereska, and the common elves frequently gathered in the square for ritual, festivity, or contentious town meetings. It was his voice, however, that issued the final word on such matters as now confronted the city. Erlan Duirsar kept this thought before him as he strode into the meeting hall to address the council. A powerful and proud group, the elves studied him with varied degrees of curiosity and impatience.
'I know that you all have important business elsewhere, but I must ask that you remain here in counsel this night. Evereska may need the special talents of each elf here.'
'What's going on?' demanded the head of the College of Magic.
'Bran Skorlsun has come to the Greycloak Hills', said Erlan Duirsar simply.
It was explanation enough."

After reading it, I realized that those elves are not cited anymore in the book, and so I ask: what have they done that night? Which talents were needed, and were they used, after all? Or have Khelben so much influence that the elves decided not to interfere for some reason (although I think they would actually help Arilyn and Danilo)?

Other questions: how much of this story was passed along to humans and people in general by Danilo's songs? How could he tell his story without mentioning the Elfgate? How much about the moonblades became general knowledge? I assume it was not widely known by non-elves before his tales.

Thank you in advance, and I hope life is treating you very well!

The elfgate provided direct access to Evermeet. If it opened, the elves of Evereska would have to make make sure no one got through. This would mean strengthening the perimeter of Evereska, scouting for possible threats, and so on. Warriors, mages, courtiers, courtesans, spies--anyone who might have information about possible threats and tools needed to neutralize them would be on alert.

Danilo has never written or sung songs about this incident. In fact, the only adventure he ever set to verse was the quest that formed the plot of ELFSONG. He is very careful about protecting elven secrets. Even the manuscript for EVERMEET was largely a private matter--a gift for Arilyn, with a few copies made for those who contributed to his research.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  16:32:00  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Mrs. Cunningham. I thought he transformed and adapted some bits of that story (well, he mentions the episode in the Marsh of Chelimber), and that maybe he could have told his version of the whole happening, even to help cleaning Arilyn's name.

Just found a mention in Elfsong about the ballad of the Harper Assassin, what does it tells, then? In this passage Arilyn tells him that someone sung the ballad there in Tethyr, and they got worried, even considering that "The facts were well and truly disguised, and although it did not identify either Arilyn or him as Harpers".

I thought I read somewhere that moonblades got infused in the human people folklore (with awe) after that incident, but then I'm probably mistaken. Are they still basically unknown to average humans, or to adventures?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  19:17:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Thank you, Mrs. Cunningham. I thought he transformed and adapted some bits of that story (well, he mentions the episode in the Marsh of Chelimber), and that maybe he could have told his version of the whole happening, even to help cleaning Arilyn's name.

Just found a mention in Elfsong about the ballad of the Harper Assassin, what does it tells, then? In this passage Arilyn tells him that someone sung the ballad there in Tethyr, and they got worried, even considering that "The facts were well and truly disguised, and although it did not identify either Arilyn or him as Harpers".

I thought I read somewhere that moonblades got infused in the human people folklore (with awe) after that incident, but then I'm probably mistaken. Are they still basically unknown to average humans, or to adventures?

Some humans know about moonblades, yes. They've been around for centuries, and humans have observed moonfighters over time, so there are stories and legends floating about, some of which contain actual nuggets of truth. For the most part, though, humans know little about the swords, other than that they are elf-crafted, elf-wielded weapons that contain powerful magic.

Yikes, I'd forgotten about the Ballad of the Harper Assassin! I'd have to reread that passage, but as I recall, Dan created a story that bore little resemblance to the actual events. Several harpers were murdered before the events of ELFSHADOW, so there would be rumors of a "harper assassin." Once the situation was resolved, it would made sense to create a story that gave people closure, but disguised sensitive information.

I'll be re-reading the Songs & Swords books later this month to refresh my memory, so I might have more to add later.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2012 :  19:27:20  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Some humans know about moonblades, yes. They've been around for centuries, and humans have observed moonfighters over time, so there are stories and legends floating about, some of which contain actual nuggets of truth. For the most part, though, humans know little about the swords, other than that they are elf-crafted, elf-wielded weapons that contain powerful magic.

Yikes, I'd forgotten about the Ballad of the Harper Assassin! I'd have to reread that passage, but as I recall, Dan created a story that bore little resemblance to the actual events. Several harpers were murdered before the events of ELFSHADOW, so there would be rumors of a "harper assassin." Once the situation was resolved, it would made sense to create a story that gave people closure, but disguised sensitive information.

I'll be re-reading the Songs & Swords books later this month to refresh my memory, so I might have more to add later.

Thank you very much, Mrs. Cunningham. And thanks a lot for the moonblade lore and the info on the actions of the Evereskan leaders in the elfgate crisis.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 20 Jun 2012 19:27:49
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: