Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  05:05:19  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine, reading all the Song and Sword books for the first time and I have to say I love them! You're an amazing writer and I can't believe it's taken me all these years (decades?) to get around to reading about Danilo and Arilyn. Your depictions of Laeral and Khelben are fun to read too!

One question I had, during Elfsong, it seemed like a book made for Storm to make at least a cameo, given it was about Harpers and bards and she is the ultimate Harper bard. Especially given her Laeral and Khelben's involvement and their connection to Storm. Was there a reason you decided not to involve Storm in the story?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  12:46:08  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Hi Elaine, reading all the Song and Sword books for the first time and I have to say I love them! You're an amazing writer and I can't believe it's taken me all these years (decades?) to get around to reading about Danilo and Arilyn. Your depictions of Laeral and Khelben are fun to read too!

One question I had, during Elfsong, it seemed like a book made for Storm to make at least a cameo, given it was about Harpers and bards and she is the ultimate Harper bard. Especially given her Laeral and Khelben's involvement and their connection to Storm. Was there a reason you decided not to involve Storm in the story?

Hi, Seravin.

Yep, decades. Two of them. I'm accustomed to readers telling me they read Songs & Swords in high school (or grade school), but now it's also colleagues and editors. I'm delighted to hear you're enjoying this tale, and I appreciate the kind words.

You know, I don't remember why Storm didn't have a cameo appearance in this book. I suspect, though, that it had to do with several things. First, Storm isn't my character. Sure, neither are Khelben or Laerel (or for that matter, Elaith), but at that time Ed was not exploring the Waterdeep crowd in fiction. Storm, on the other hand, is very much a presence in his work.

Also, a bard character of Storm's level would raise the stakes of Garnet's spell and dominate the story. As I think about it now, I can see all kinds of issues. If memory serves, there's no mention of her at all, or at least, nothing to establish whether or not Storm was effected or, in fact, whether the spell's effect went that far east. If the spell just covered the northlands, Khelben would treat it as a regional problem. He's a bit of a control freak, and I don't see him bringing in the big guns except for dire emergencies. And remember, Garnet's whole point was that the Harpers--which very much included Khelben--did not have sufficient regard for the bards. At first, he didn't see it as that big a problem.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2012 :  12:54:02  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

As I recall, though, Sharlarra was never exclusively named as such.

We know star elves were first introduced in 3e FR, namely the Unapproachable East tome. However, Elaine has also told in the past that she obtained a copy of the manuscript for the tome from WotC and read it for continuity. I'm assuming that's also because Elaine wanted to research ways in which she could to tie the novel more closely with the new lore on the star elves. Though, I could be wrong...

No, you're exactly right. According to UE, star elves had been leaving their home plan for a while, due to some unspecified threat. So it seemed entirely plausible that Sharlarra was one such refugee.

Sharlarra IS called a star elf in her only other appearance: the short story "Answered Prayers," published in The Best of the Realms Book III: The Stories of Elaine Cunningham.

I leafed through this book last week, prompted by a facebook conversation with a reader who liked a short story about Elaith and Ferret, a forest elf woman. I didn't immediately recall writing it. (Long story, but it boils down to the fact that the short story took place during the events of Reclamation, and I conflated it with that unfinished project.) So anyway, it turns out that this story, "Redemption," (published in Realms of War and "Gorlist's Dragon" (published in Realms of Dragons) weren't included in the collection. I hope that if/when WotC puts anthologies and short story collections as ebooks, they will be.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  14:01:30  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A lot can happen in 14 years. Take Evermeet, for example.

Back in 1998, the island of Evermeet was an inviolate elven homeland, protected by high magic and peerless elven warriors. It had been a refuge for thousands of years, and the elves saw no reason to think things might change. Then, in the year DR 1371 (aka 1998), they got a disturbing wake-up call–an invasion that forced them to rethink their assumptions and shore up their defenses.

Perhaps they did TOO good a job. When the Spellplague hit, it swept away the whole frickin’ island. But that’s another story.

EVERMEET Island of the Elves is an older tale, one that begins with the mythology and history of Toril’s elves–or, at least, the version of elven history and mythology that the secretive People permit humans to know. The book exists in three layers: a series of tales that follow the history of the royal Moonflower family, the gradual unfolding of the 1371 invasion, and the quest of the book’s narrator, the bard Danilo Thann, to give his lover–Arilyn Moonblade, a half-elf of royal blood–some small part of the heritage denied her.

EVERMEET was published in hardcover in 1998 and in paperback the year after. It’s been out of print for several years now, but tomorrow, August 7, it will be released in eBook format. If you’re new to this tale, if you want to replace your 13-year-old paperback copy, or if you’re transferring your Forgotten Realms books to digital format, I hope you’ll consider adding the EVERMEET eBook to your library.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  15:46:54  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is a wonderful book, that I bought first in paperback version and then in hardcover format - giving my paperback copy to a great friend. If you're a Forgotten Realms fan with any interest in things elven, you MUST have this book.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  20:44:09  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine,

I want to express my extreme appreciation for the MANY wonderful hours your work has provided me.

The idea that Evermeet came out in 1998 makes me feel old. I remember my anticipation for Evermeet's release like it was yesterday.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  21:52:32  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words. I must admit, the thought makes me feel a tad ancient, as well.

It also makes me wonder, for the first time in years, what happened to all the notes I'd compiled on the elves of Toril. As part of the research for Evermeet, I gathered every scrap of information I could find, ranging from novels to game products and long out-of-print comic books. But in 1998 we moved from Maryland, where the book was written, to Rhode Island, and I never DID figure out what happened to those files.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  22:43:17  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the kind words. I must admit, the thought makes me feel a tad ancient, as well.

It also makes me wonder, for the first time in years, what happened to all the notes I'd compiled on the elves of Toril. As part of the research for Evermeet, I gathered every scrap of information I could find, ranging from novels to game products and long out-of-print comic books. But in 1998 we moved from Maryland, where the book was written, to Rhode Island, and I never DID figure out what happened to those files.

Elaine, since the newest changes in the realms might allow for novels set in th past, present or future.......is it rude of me to ask this question : if you were approached by wotc to revisit Reclamtion, is that something that would interest you? And if so would you want to attempt something with any of your other wonderful characters, ie Mateo and Tsigone. I am thinking an answer from you my prevent many postings of similar questions for you!

I only ask as the possibility of revisiting old story lines came up at the Candlekeep seminar at GenCon and I was thinking about re-reading your realms novels when finish of the last John Carter novel this weekend.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 17 Aug 2012 22:44:22
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2012 :  23:24:04  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Elaine, since the newest changes in the realms might allow for novels set in th past, present or future.......is it rude of me to ask this question : if you were approached by wotc to revisit Reclamtion, is that something that would interest you? And if so would you want to attempt something with any of your other wonderful characters, ie Mateo and Tsigone. I am thinking an answer from you my prevent many postings of similar questions for you!

I only ask as the possibility of revisiting old story lines came up at the Candlekeep seminar at GenCon and I was thinking about re-reading your realms novels when finish of the last John Carter novel this weekend.

It's not at all rude to ask; in fact, I appreciate the thought and am delighted that people are still interested in these tales.

That said, I'm really not comfortable speculating on what I would or wouldn't write in a hypothetical situation. Because as we all know, there ARE NO HYPOTHETICAL SITUATIONS on the internet. Many things that are said in speculation are repeated as fact. That could get awkward, and is best avoided.

I've been reading about the keynote presentation at Gen Con, the new Sundering story line, and the WotC's desire to return to a "classic Realms." They've got a great team in charge of this, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. Because regardless of what I do or don't write for the Realms in the future, it'll always be home.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2012 :  00:28:15  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I never DID figure out what happened to those files.

I'm sure more than a few scribes would volunteer to help find them.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2012 :  00:42:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

It's not at all rude to ask; in fact, I appreciate the thought and am delighted that people are still interested in these tales.

That said, I'm really not comfortable speculating on what I would or wouldn't write in a hypothetical situation. Because as we all know, there ARE NO HYPOTHETICAL SITUATIONS on the internet. Many things that are said in speculation are repeated as fact. That could get awkward, and is best avoided.

I've been reading about the keynote presentation at Gen Con, the new Sundering story line, and the WotC's desire to return to a "classic Realms." They've got a great team in charge of this, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. Because regardless of what I do or don't write for the Realms in the future, it'll always be home.

I anticipated an answer along those lines.....but I had to ask

And though I was only able to spend a few hours at GenCon , I heard your name come up again and again. And more than a few were heard by some key "decision makers"

As long as I enjoy reading I cannot imagine forgetting your wonderful characters that live there.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2012 :  01:22:31  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Liriel Baenrae is an awesome character.

She's more badass than Catniss Everdeen.

She more complex (worst word choice I ever made) than that girl from the Twilight.

She's more gifted than the Harry Potter.

I think Liriel would be an amazing introduction to 'DnD' for many readers.

So I was wondering, and I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but,
Is there more to Liriels story?

And do you have any desire to tell it?

Word on the street is WotC is keeping their ear to the digital ground. If a fan-stravaganza is all that's required to get WotC to want it, I'm in.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2012 :  01:53:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hidden Lord

She more complex (worst word choice I ever made) than that girl from the Twilight.

I think Liriel would be an amazing introduction to 'DnD' for many readers.

So I was wondering, and I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but,
Is there more to Liriels story?

And do you have any desire to tell it?

Thanks for the kind word. Glad to hear you've enjoyed Liriel's story.

At this point, there isn't more to Liriel's story--that is, if you're asking if there's a story in progress. But if the right opportunity arose and the stars aligned, I think it might be fun to catch up with Liriel.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2012 :  08:22:29  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Apologies for not covering the upcoming spoilers, I'm assuming the trilogy has been out long enough that it's forgiveable.)

I dunno Elaine. So far she's lost any illusion she may have had that her father actually cared about her, when she found a friend/mentor in Skullport, he ended up in a fishing net beneath the water, then her lover dies just as her own quest is pretty much finished - so after a while she finds religion and becomes a priestess of Mystra, who dies...

I'll give you interesting, but I'm not sure how fun it'd be.

(And now I feel like giving her a hug. Despite knowing she's not real. Bugger!)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Spencer
Acolyte

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  02:06:52  Show Profile Send Spencer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another Liriel series would be amazing...
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  04:20:58  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd take the Spider's Kiss.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  01:01:43  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hidden Lord

If you mean she lights a good blip on a Sue-meter without actually being one... I strongly suspect any good story of a drow adventurer would be like this.
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I dunno Elaine. So far she's [...] (And now I feel like giving her a hug. Despite knowing she's not real. Bugger!)
...I also suspect that after the Certain Developments on deities any good story of a drow adventurer got to look like this even if not conjured by an emo-mancer.
On the other eyestalk, there's Gaeadrelle Goldring, who looks as if she was designed with the sole purpose of melting sue-meters down - also without actually being one. And wasn't too lucky in the end either.

Which reminds me a few questions to our favourite author, though mostly not Realms-related.
Did you like writing that Cloakmaster novel, both the Evermeet interlude and the much "crazier" wildspace setting? Would you like to - and did you ever plan to - write something else in this vein?
Also, what about that "crystal eye" magic ship weapon thingy - was this your idea (something that would make sense for bionoids to research?) or was this detail given to you?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  01:17:22  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder
[Did you like writing that Cloakmaster novel, both the Evermeet interlude and the much "crazier" wildspace setting?

It was fun, but chaotic.
quote:
Would you like to - and did you ever plan to - write something else in this vein?

Honestly? I'd love to write a "Firefly" novel. Since that isn't likely to happen, creating my own space opera is a very tempting idea.
quote:
Also, what about that "crystal eye" magic ship weapon thingy - was this your idea (something that would make sense for bionoids to research?) or was this detail given to you?

This was twenty years ago, and my memory on some details is a little fuzzy. but I'm fairly certain that the crystal eye was a TSR invention.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 11 Sep 2012 01:22:01
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  01:20:28  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I dunno Elaine. So far she's lost any illusion she may have had that her father actually cared about her, when she found a friend/mentor in Skullport, he ended up in a fishing net beneath the water, then her lover dies just as her own quest is pretty much finished - so after a while she finds religion and becomes a priestess of Mystra, who dies...

I'll give you interesting, but I'm not sure how fun it'd be.

(And now I feel like giving her a hug. Despite knowing she's not real. Bugger!)

She'll probably take that hug, but Liriel's greatest strength, imo, is her emotional resilience. I think she might surprise you. Hell, she'd probably surprise ME.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2012 :  17:04:34  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Elaine!!!!

For the record, my lady and I are having twin girls tomorrow! She is scheduled for induction! One of the names we picked was Lyriel! The other is Cadence.

She agreed on the name, but wanted to change the spelling so it looked more like "lyrical", giving them both musical names lol. A half victory as she wanted to avoid Fantasy character names like nothing else.

Gave them Japanese middle names to reflect on my heritage as well.

I noticed you mention you are not writing in 4e or 5e. I must be out of the loop, but what happened to the Serpent's daughter? I was looking forward to that almost as much as reclamation!!!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  04:49:33  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to bother you with so many questions (I also have questions about something, it seems), but I ordered Demihuman Deities, and it came today. It's for 2e, so it's kind of old, but as an elf lover, I am always hungry for information on the Seldarine. It has the drow pantheon too, of course, and as I was scanning the info on Eilistraee, the name Qilue and Elkantar caught my eye, and I felt a little pang in my chest. I get attached to characters easily, and though Elkantar was only a minor character, I fell in love with him instantly, and I was so sad when he died in Windwalker. I'm glad he was an Eilistraeen, so I assume he went to her realm, and that's some comfort, but it was still saddening. You had a way of making me care about him And Xxzorsh! Oh gods, I loved that elf! I almost cried when he died.
That statement was leading up to my question--well, questions. Have you read Lisa Smedman's Lady Penitnt? I enjoyed that series, but since joining this site, I've been hearing people saying it wasn't canon, at least as far as the drow becoming “dark elves” with brown skin and black hair goes, which, if that is true, would explain why it hasn’t been mentioned yet. What are your thoughts on this? Eilistraee died, but Corellon prevented her realm from being destroyed, so the souls were saved, and I presume that means Elkantar as well *crosses fingers*. If you haven’t read this trilogy, you do not have to answer, but I would just like to know you thoughts on what happened to the drow and their gods.

Again, sorry for all the questions!

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  13:36:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

Elaine!!!!

For the record, my lady and I are having twin girls tomorrow! She is scheduled for induction! One of the names we picked was Lyriel! The other is Cadence.

She agreed on the name, but wanted to change the spelling so it looked more like "lyrical", giving them both musical names lol. A half victory as she wanted to avoid Fantasy character names like nothing else.

Gave them Japanese middle names to reflect on my heritage as well.

Congratulations! Two daughters at once is an amazing blessing.

I fully understand your wife's desire to keep away from obvious fantasy names, but I'm honored by your choice. FWIW, the word "lyrical" was one of the components that went into Liriel's name. Also, it points back to Marion Zimmer Bradley's DARKOVER setting, which was my introduction to shared-world fantasy. The planet Darkover had an small, red sun and four moons. The brightest and loveliest of the four was Liriel. I liked the symbolism of a beautiful light in a dark and dangerous place.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2012 :  14:01:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Sorry to bother you with so many questions (I also have questions about something, it seems), but I ordered Demihuman Deities, and it came today. It's for 2e, so it's kind of old, but as an elf lover, I am always hungry for information on the Seldarine. It has the drow pantheon too, of course, and as I was scanning the info on Eilistraee, the name Qilue and Elkantar caught my eye, and I felt a little pang in my chest. I get attached to characters easily, and though Elkantar was only a minor character, I fell in love with him instantly, and I was so sad when he died in Windwalker. I'm glad he was an Eilistraeen, so I assume he went to her realm, and that's some comfort, but it was still saddening. You had a way of making me care about him And Xxzorsh! Oh gods, I loved that elf! I almost cried when he died.

For what it's worth, I almost cried when I killed him. I loved Xxzorsh's passion for life and learning. In many ways, he was a reflection of Liriel--someone who loved magic and wanted more than his world offered.

quote:
That statement was leading up to my question--well, questions. Have you read Lisa Smedman's Lady Penitnt? I enjoyed that series, but since joining this site, I've been hearing people saying it wasn't canon, at least as far as the drow becoming “dark elves” with brown skin and black hair goes, which, if that is true, would explain why it hasn’t been mentioned yet. What are your thoughts on this? Eilistraee died, but Corellon prevented her realm from being destroyed, so the souls were saved, and I presume that means Elkantar as well *crosses fingers*. If you haven’t read this trilogy, you do not have to answer, but I would just like to know you thoughts on what happened to the drow and their gods.

I haven't read this series, no. I was saddened to hear of Eillistraee's death, but not surprised. The desire to minimize the concept of "good drow" is strong among certain Realms designers and writers. From a dramatic standpoint, this makes sense. The drow were designed to be monsters--dangerous, exotic, unknowable. Part of Drizzt's power is that he is a rare, almost unique exception to the evil of his people. When you start having butt neckid starlit dancing breaking out all over the forest, featuring moonlight-pale hair and cute little ebony tushies, it starts to dilute the ZOMG teh Ebil! perception of the drow. I might not like the 4E pull-back, but I do understand it.

I can only assume that the notion of good-aligned, brown-skinned "dark elves" is canon, in that everything WotC publishes is, by definition, canon. What will become of this concept in 5E remains to be seen. Perhaps it will continue as written in 4E, perhaps it will be revealed as a localized phenomenon, perhaps these dark-skinned elves will be absorbed into another race of elves. Forest elves is the most likely. There's a lot of color variation among forest elves, so expanding the pallet of skin and hair color makes sense. Drow have cultural, physical and magical differences that support their definition as a subset of elves, but if the "dark elves" are distinguished only by their skin color, that is a very small difference indeed. From my way of thinking, that makes them....elves. But it'll be interesting so see how this issue develops.

It makes perfect sense that Corellon would gather the souls of his daughter's faithful, so I suspect Elkantar's afterlife will continue to be everything his life merited.

quote:

No need to apologize! If I didn't WANT to talk about the Realms, I wouldn't have this thread.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 10 Oct 2012 14:05:30
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2012 :  23:52:49  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's hoping you stay as dry as possible.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2012 :  00:34:40  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

For what it's worth, I almost cried when I killed him. I loved Xxzorsh's passion for life and learning. In many ways, he was a reflection of Liriel--someone who loved magic and wanted more than his world offered.

quote:
That statement was leading up to my question--well, questions. Have you read Lisa Smedman's Lady Penitnt? I enjoyed that series, but since joining this site, I've been hearing people saying it wasn't canon, at least as far as the drow becoming �dark elves� with brown skin and black hair goes, which, if that is true, would explain why it hasn�t been mentioned yet. What are your thoughts on this? Eilistraee died, but Corellon prevented her realm from being destroyed, so the souls were saved, and I presume that means Elkantar as well *crosses fingers*. If you haven�t read this trilogy, you do not have to answer, but I would just like to know you thoughts on what happened to the drow and their gods.

I haven't read this series, no. I was saddened to hear of Eillistraee's death, but not surprised. The desire to minimize the concept of "good drow" is strong among certain Realms designers and writers. From a dramatic standpoint, this makes sense. The drow were designed to be monsters--dangerous, exotic, unknowable. Part of Drizzt's power is that he is a rare, almost unique exception to the evil of his people. When you start having butt neckid starlit dancing breaking out all over the forest, featuring moonlight-pale hair and cute little ebony tushies, it starts to dilute the ZOMG teh Ebil! perception of the drow. I might not like the 4E pull-back, but I do understand it.

I can only assume that the notion of good-aligned, brown-skinned "dark elves" is canon, in that everything WotC publishes is, by definition, canon. What will become of this concept in 5E remains to be seen. Perhaps it will continue as written in 4E, perhaps it will be revealed as a localized phenomenon, perhaps these dark-skinned elves will be absorbed into another race of elves. Forest elves is the most likely. There's a lot of color variation among forest elves, so expanding the pallet of skin and hair color makes sense. Drow have cultural, physical and magical differences that support their definition as a subset of elves, but if the "dark elves" are distinguished only by their skin color, that is a very small difference indeed. From my way of thinking, that makes them....elves. But it'll be interesting so see how this issue develops.

It makes perfect sense that Corellon would gather the souls of his daughter's faithful, so I suspect Elkantar's afterlife will continue to be everything his life merited.

quote:

No need to apologize! If I didn't WANT to talk about the Realms, I wouldn't have this thread.

Huh, *scratches head* thought I subscribed to this thread, but I wasn't notified of your response, so that is why my reply is late.

Aww, well that shows that even writers get attached to their characters I know I do. The death of Xxzorsh saddened my friends who have read the books too, so it shows you did a good job in making us care about him.

Oh, being absorbed by the forest elves is an interesting concept I hadn't thought of. Maybe they'll eventually "blend in". The terms dark elf and drow are often used interchangeably, so it would be interesting to see if that changes too. I think the "transformation" was supposed to bring them to pre-Descent times (there have actually been some lengthy--and somewhat heated--threads discussing this very thing. A lot of people--myself included--want to know the results. A lot of people--again myself included--want E (and even Vhaeraun) back. They stood for a lot, and I like the different "choices" they gave the drow, rather than have it be Lolth or nothing.

The concept of the change be regional is interesting too. Maybe it will only affect those around the Promenade? Hmmm...though it sounded like it hit a larger area.

I'm glad you think so I only knew a little about Elkantar, but I cared about him as soon as I read about him. I'm one of those people that takes some comfort in characters having a good afterlife to go to (which is why I love Arvandor). Even though their death saddens me, knowing they've gone to a good place helps. I know they're fictional, but I still get very attached. Elkantar definitely deserves a good afterlife ^^ (as does Xxzorsh haha). Eilistraee's realm was kind of part of Arvandor too wasn't it? Not directly, but wasn't there a portal or something that connecting the two, or were they entirely separate?

Also, a friend of mine recently read Starlight and Shadows, and she was confused about the sea elves having lost their magic. She thought it contrasted with what was said in Evermeet. I couldn't really answer her because it's been years since I've read either one, but how did the sea elves lose their magic?

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  00:42:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Huh, *scratches head* thought I subscribed to this thread, but I wasn't notified of your response, so that is why my reply is late.

I *know* I subscribed to this thread, but I didn't get a notification, either.

quote:
Eilistraee's realm was kind of part of Arvandor too wasn't it? Not directly, but wasn't there a portal or something that connecting the two, or were they entirely separate?

If memory serves, Eilistraee's realm was part of Arvandor.

quote:
Also, a friend of mine recently read Starlight and Shadows, and she was confused about the sea elves having lost their magic. She thought it contrasted with what was said in Evermeet. I couldn't really answer her because it's been years since I've read either one, but how did the sea elves lose their magic?

I don't recall ever reading an explanation of why sea elves have no magic. Since I don't have my 1-3.5 edition source books (I lost thousands of books in a freak spring flood a couple of years back), I can't look up the original source.

It'll be interesting to see what changes, if any, 5th edition brings to the sea elves.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 13 Nov 2012 00:51:05
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  00:50:26  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here's hoping you stay as dry as possible.

Sorry I took so long to respond--for some reason, I haven't been getting notifications.

We got through Hurricane Sandy just fine. Thanks for asking!

We live in Rhode Island, a couple of blocks off the Narragansett Bay. We were very fortunate in that the expected storm surge didn't happen. Southern RI got hammered--buildings swept away, beaches disappeared, lots of flooding--but other than losing power for a day, we had no problems. We also got off easy on the nor'easter that follow Hurricane Sandy--some nasty wind and slushy, icy driving conditions, but no damage.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 13 Nov 2012 00:52:04
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  04:20:47  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I *know* I subscribed to this thread, but I didn't get a notification, either.

quote:
Eilistraee's realm was kind of part of Arvandor too wasn't it? Not directly, but wasn't there a portal or something that connecting the two, or were they entirely separate?

If memory serves, Eilistraee's realm was part of Arvandor.

quote:

I don't recall ever reading an explanation of why sea elves have no magic. Since I don't have my 1-3.5 edition source books (I lost thousands of books in a freak spring flood a couple of years back), I can't look up the original source.

It'll be interesting to see what changes, if any, 5th edition brings to the sea elves.

I think maybe it was because I had subscribed to "Elves, A Single Thread" and had originally asked the question there.

I remember it being part of Arvandor, or at least being close by, so it likely wasn't too much of a switch.

It will indeed be interesting to see what 5e holds for the sea elves. The only other series I've read aside from Starlight and Shadows that features them was Mel Odom's Threat from the Sea. And that's too bad you lost so much in a flood.

And I'm glad you're safe now!

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  09:37:04  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CorellonsDevout, I recall reading somewhere that sea elves lost their magic to the dark elves. The lore stating that aquatic elves couldn't cast spells was in their Monster Compendium entry in one of the FR Compendiums, and IIRC in Evermeet: Island of the Elves (a wonderful book and a huge reference to all things elven) Mrs. Cunningham gives us the story of the events that bring back magical power to the Alu-Tel'Quessir. About the legend itself, I suggest you to ask Lord Karsus.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 13 Nov 2012 09:41:30
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  10:08:45  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

CorellonsDevout, I recall reading somewhere that sea elves lost their magic to the dark elves.
IIRC there was a short story where a wemic told elves a fairy tale, contaminating what looks like a story of Akhlaur with something else.
Either way, at least Serosian sea elves were no less magically active than their surface kin - they got a mythal-wrapped city, etc.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000