Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham [II]
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  10:44:18  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Here's hoping you stay as dry as possible.

Sorry I took so long to respond--for some reason, I haven't been getting notifications.

We got through Hurricane Sandy just fine. Thanks for asking!

We live in Rhode Island, a couple of blocks off the Narragansett Bay. We were very fortunate in that the expected storm surge didn't happen. Southern RI got hammered--buildings swept away, beaches disappeared, lots of flooding--but other than losing power for a day, we had no problems. We also got off easy on the nor'easter that follow Hurricane Sandy--some nasty wind and slushy, icy driving conditions, but no damage.

Good to hear you and your family got through it allright. Considering the damage a slightly-bigger-than-normal autumn storm did over here a few years back I got a bit worried when a big darn hurricane was sweeping in on people I talk to on a regular basis.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  13:19:12  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

CorellonsDevout, I recall reading somewhere that sea elves lost their magic to the dark elves.
IIRC there was a short story where a wemic told elves a fairy tale, contaminating what looks like a story of Akhlaur with something else.
Either way, at least Serosian sea elves were no less magically active than their surface kin - they got a mythal-wrapped city, etc.

Yes, I seem to recall that story. Those wemics--always making trouble.

I would never attempt to claim that ALL sea elves in ALL editions of D&D over the entire period of Realms history have been devoid of magic. But for reasons I no longer recall, it made sense to assume that the sea elven culture of which Xzorsh was a part did not have an active magical tradition. That they were CAPABLE of magic is proven by Xzorsh's fledgling magical aptitude.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2012 :  22:12:20  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

CorellonsDevout, I recall reading somewhere that sea elves lost their magic to the dark elves. The lore stating that aquatic elves couldn't cast spells was in their Monster Compendium entry in one of the FR Compendiums, and IIRC in Evermeet: Island of the Elves (a wonderful book and a huge reference to all things elven) Mrs. Cunningham gives us the story of the events that bring back magical power to the Alu-Tel'Quessir. About the legend itself, I suggest you to ask Lord Karsus.

I've read Evermeet, and it remains one of my all time favorite FR novels, but it has been several years since I read it, as well as Starlight and Shadows. My friend had recently finished Starlight and Shadows, and she had Evermeet too, so she was confused about the sea elves and their magic, and it had been too long since I'd read either book for her to answer. That's why I was asking.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  10:01:28  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout
I've read Evermeet, and it remains one of my all time favorite FR novels, but it has been several years since I read it, as well as Starlight and Shadows. My friend had recently finished Starlight and Shadows, and she had Evermeet too, so she was confused about the sea elves and their magic, and it had been too long since I'd read either book for her to answer. That's why I was asking.

I've read Evermeet long ago, but I read it again this year, so my memory is fresh. It doesn't explain why the sea elves lost their magic, IIRC, but there is a story in which another elf - a moon elf, I think - is transformed into a sea elf, and starts teaching magic to the Alu-Tel'Quessir. Later, her husband marries another elven woman, and she sacrifices herself to attack a huge sea beast that attacked their bridal ship. IIRC, that's when Evermeet stablishes their alliance with the sea creatures around.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2012 :  03:53:23  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, I remember that sea elf, but I didn't remember her teaching magic to the other sea elves.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2012 :  11:51:44  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah yes, I remember that sea elf, but I didn't remember her teaching magic to the other sea elves.

Found the whole references:

Before the Sundering that destroyed Atorrnash:

Lloth gazed with interest upon the leader of the ready army, a dark elf called Ka'Narlist. Though he looked young and vital, Lloth sensed that he was an ancient being, sustained long past the normal years of an elf by the force of his magic. The source of this incredible power fascinated Lloth: The wizard wore a cunningly woven vest fashioned of chain mail and dark pearls—each of which contained the essence and magic of a slain Sea elf. Delightful, this elf!

A long time after that:

The ship upon which Anarzee stood was the first of many. Specially designed to resist scrag attack, armed with powerful elven magic and over a hundred fighters, it would strike a decisive blow against the sea trolls and begin the process of reclaiming the waves.
(...)
The captain of the elven fighters ran to Anarzee's side. "The sahuagin have metal weapons," she said urgently. "It is possible that they will break through the weakened hull. If we are thrown into the water, we can do nothing to fight them."
"Not as we are," the priestess agreed.
In a few terse words, she told the captain of the desperate plan that was forming in her mind. The warrior nodded her agreement without hesitation, and hastened off to prepare her fighters for
what might befall them. This ship and the elves who sailed it were doomed, but if the gods were willing, they might yet serve the People of Evermeet. Anarzee fell to her knees and began the most earnest prayer of her life. She called upon Deep Sashales, not for deliverance, but for transformation. As she prayed, the air around her seemed to change, to become unnaturally thin and dry. Her hearing took on new dimensions, as well. She could hear the terrible thuds and crackles that bespoke the shattering hull, and the whoops and cackling laughter of the triumphant sahuagin.
(...)
As water lapped over the deck and soaked the kneeling priestess's robe, Anarzee found that she did not fear the depths, or the creatures in them. She leaped to her feet and ripped off the encumbering garments of a land-dwelling elf. Snatching up a harpoon with a newly webbed hand, the priestess—now a Sea elf—leaped from the dying ship and into the waves. All around her, the new-made Sea elves fell upon the sahuagin with weapons and magic.
(...)
This wonder cheered the priestess and sped her in battle, for naturally born Sea elves did not possess magic! This was what was needed to defeat the Coral Kingdom. Why had she not seen it sooner? As magic-wielded sea People, what a force they would be for Evermeet's defense!
(...)
"The raising of Iumathiashae has begun," she said softly, for it was their custom to speak of matters of warfare and governance before turning to their personal concerns. "A great Sea-elven city will stand between the Coral Kingdom and Evermeet, for High Magic has returned to the elves of Evermeet's seas. We will re-people the seas, and provide a balance for these forces of evil".

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  04:34:10  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks for typing that all up! I really need to re-read Evermeet, but I have so many other books--FR and non--that I also want to read.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2012 :  13:02:49  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think the key phrase here is "magic has returned to the People of Evermeet's seas." It's probably best to assume that the state of sea elven magic differs from place to place.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2012 :  10:08:23  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think the key phrase here is "magic has returned to the People of Evermeet's seas." It's probably best to assume that the state of sea elven magic differs from place to place.

Agreed, especially considering there are magic-rich sea elven communities around Myth Nantar, as described in the Sea of Fallen Stars 2e sourcebook.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2012 :  15:18:07  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mrs. Cunningham,

If you allow me, I have a handful of questions about Zaor Moonflower's moonblade, the King Sword. My first question is: have it never given an elven name? In my Realms I'm calling the blade Selu'Cor'Aryvel - "the noble blade of the High King", based on the elven language dictionary and elven names directories I found in the internet -, but maybe its name was published somewhere and I'm not aware of it.

Second, which powers of the blade, besides the traditional selection of its wielder, were revealed in your books, and maybe in other books as well? I've read some entries in Evermeet, but since English is not my first language, I'm not getting the real meaning of it, in terms of a sword's magical powers.

For example, when Zaor meets Amlaruil and she reveals his blade is the King Sword, the moonblade doesn't kill her - probably because it recognizes her future role as a queen -, he feels lifted of the weight of Myth Drannor's falling, and gets determined in avoiding a similar fate to Evermeet. After that, he notices a new rune in the blade. Was this rune related to Amlaruil's ability in touching the blade, and afterwards in connecting her High Magic powers with the sword, or is it tied somehow to his decision of ruling, since then?

Another power that is cites is when the island is being attacked by dragons, and it is written that the power of the blade subtly touches every child of Evermeet (not only elves), inspiring them to the battle. It is mentioned that Amlaruil could feel that the sword pulsed with the very magic of the Green Island. Would it be similar to a "Rod of Rulership" effect, but in a much stronger and larger proportion?

The arcane fire mentioned in this battle, is it only a visual effect, or a specific power at work? What about the protective shield created by the blade? It seemed similar to a greater Globe of Invulnerability, but maybe could also protect against physical damage... Maybe a miniature Wall of Force effect?

When they finally make love after saving the Isle, the book also says that it happens in a cave under the light of the moonblade. Is it a manifestation of some other power?

And finally, can I assume the sword has other powers, which were not revealed in the aforementioned novel? Since it was passed down along some generations, it seems plausible to me.

Thank you in advance for your reply, and tell me also if I have missed something. Best regards!

EDIT: An additional question came to me yesterday night: which powers are known to the elves, in general, and which ones are known to other races? Since the book was written by Danilo Thann to Arilyn, can I assume all the powers described on it are widely known by the Tel'Quessir?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 23 Nov 2012 10:27:14
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  15:44:13  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zaor's moonblade does not have a name. None of the moonblades do.

Yes, the sword holds several powers that are not described in EVERMEET. I don't have anything to add to the description in the novel. There is not, to the best of my knowledge, more information about the sword elsewhere, so you have all the "canon lore" that exists. :)

For the most part, people know of a moonblade's powers when they see them in action. I'm sure some elven scribes--and possibly humans, as well--have compiled records of what powers various moonblades hold. But I don't think this body of knowledge is widely known among elves, much less other races. Keep in mind that the manuscript Danilo wrote was never intended for genearl publication. It was meant as a gift for Arilyn, but it's not certain that even she has seen it. Danilo agreed to wait until Amlaruil's scribe reviewed it. As Khelben observed in the final section, elves see time differently than humans do, so Dan shouldn't expect to get the manuscript back any time soon. So it may be that the story Dan painstakingly pieced together from many sources (including Amlaruil herself), has never been seen by anyone but the elven queen and her trusted scribe.

I often speculate what Elaith's reaction might be if he learned that Danilo has known for years that he (Elaith) had a son by Princess Amnestria. :) And in all candor, I suspect this is the primary reason why Danilo's manuscript was held by the elves. This is the sort of claim they'd want to explore before letting it be known. And I'm sure the queen had a few things to say to Prince Lamruil, who knew of his sister's pregnancy and the birth of her son but did not tell anyone (except Danilo and, as a ploy, Kymil Nimesin.) AND THEN there's the fact that Kymil has this information. You can be sure there's a lot of top-secret scrambling going as Amlaruil tries to find this hidden prince before Kymil does.

But that's another story.

PS Danilo got the information about Amnestria and Elaith's son from Lamruil, who felt that Arilyn should know she has a half-brother. Lamruil promised his sister that he would not tell their mother the queen of the baby's birth, but as time passed he realized that the existence of a royal heir was not something he felt he could keep from the queen. He suspected that Dan's manuscript would be seen by the queen and her confidential scribe, and when he told Dan Amnestria's story, he specified that this information could not be passed to Elaith Craulnober. He deliberately said nothing about keeping it from Amlaruil. (Lamruil, who was raised in the elven court, has learned the art of communicating through what is NOT said.)

But that's yet another story.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 23 Nov 2012 15:57:37
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  21:15:18  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, Mrs. Cunningham.

About the name of the blade, my idea was not of a proper name, but a title or term equivalent to "King Sword".
quote:

Zaor's moonblade does not have a name. None of the moonblades do.

As far as I have seen the moonblades were called by the family name (Craulnober sword, Amarillis blade, and so on). However, in the 2e Elves of Evermeet sourcebook it is mentioned that the moonblade of the Silverspear House is named Thoerl - although it always sounded a bit strange to me. I always thought that moonblades would at most receive a "nickname" or title related to its powers (adventurer's blade, king sword, defender blade), if so.

But maybe elves would be too reverent about the blades and about the honor of their clans to give the blades those nicknames... Eventually, they could even be nicknamed by non-elves, if they knew about them and at least about some of their powers... Well, those are a lot of "ifs", and the name given in EoE is an elven name, in Evermeet... Of course, I can just ignore this (for "Silverspear blade" sounds way better, IMHO).

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 23 Nov 2012 21:26:49
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  21:58:36  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would really like to know this "other" story about the son

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2012 :  22:05:36  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2012 :  10:40:22  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Those "another stories" are tales I think all fans of Mrs. Cunningham long to read someday, CorellonsDevout...
But that's another story!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2012 :  03:40:08  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lol you're probably right

Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2012 :  18:19:35  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine, will we ever find out what happened to Amlaruil and Evermeet during the Spellplague? I know that Evermeet is now in the Feywild and that the Queen has vanished. Are there any plans to explore this? I loved Evermeet: Island of Elves and other than the Grand History of the Realms, I don't believe anything has been mentioned. Amlaruil is one of my favorite characters.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2012 :  18:29:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

Elaine, will we ever find out what happened to Amlaruil and Evermeet during the Spellplague? I know that Evermeet is now in the Feywild and that the Queen has vanished. Are there any plans to explore this? I loved Evermeet: Island of Elves and other than the Grand History of the Realms, I don't believe anything has been mentioned. Amlaruil is one of my favorite characters.

These are questions I've often pondered, but since I'm a freelance writer, and not privy to WotC plans for the future, I don't know what plans they might have to revisit Spellplage's effect on Evermeet. But I hope they do. It's a story I'd love to read. Or, for that matter, write. :)
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2012 :  19:44:30  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaine,

Hope you don't mind a personal question. I was reading on your Wiki page the other day that you originally went to school for music and taught for several years. I went to school in New England and was an English major who minored in trumpet performance, so that was quite cool to see. What instrument do you play and do you still perform???

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2012 :  20:58:13  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Elaine,

Hope you don't mind a personal question. I was reading on your Wiki page the other day that you originally went to school for music and taught for several years. I went to school in New England and was an English major who minored in trumpet performance, so that was quite cool to see. What instrument do you play and do you still perform???

I was a voice major, and I focused mostly on vocal/choral music, but I've played several instruments over the years. Thirteen years of piano lessons, for starters, and I've studied classical guitar and lute. In high school I played the bass viol in folk/gospel groups and mallet percussion in band. In recent years I picked up celtic harp and Irish fiddle.

I no longer perform as a soloist, but I'm a member of the Providence Singers, a chorus affiliated with the Rhode Island Philharmonic. Info about our 2012-2013 season is on our website, www.providencesingers.org.
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  00:57:02  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

These are questions I've often pondered, but since I'm a freelance writer, and not privy to WotC plans for the future, I don't know what plans they might have to revisit Spellplage's effect on Evermeet. But I hope they do. It's a story I'd love to read. Or, for that matter, write. :)

This would make me so very happy. I think I would literally do a happy dance or two if this came to be.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  02:30:01  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love it that too! I actually FINALLY started reading the Song and Swords trilogy (not sure why it took me so long to get around to it), and I was reminded of why I love your books, and how much I've missed them in the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2012 :  02:35:30  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions Elaine!

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2012 :  13:20:05  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, folks.

I'm currently expanding my website (www.elainecunningham.com) to include a page for each book. These pages include cover art, a brief story description, links to sample chapters, links to review sites and/or specific discussion threads, and links to various online booksellers of print, digital, and audio books. Since this is a time-consuming process, I'm adding one book a day, and I'm currently working my way through the Forgotten Realms books.

Each page will have basic story and purchasing info, but I'm adding extra bits; for example, on the Elfshadow page is a list of novels and short stories featuring Arilyn, Danilo Thann, and Elaith Craulnober. I'm putting up the Elfsong page later today. It will include sheet music (lyrics and melody only) for "Elminster's Jest," the song Danilo's singing sword belts out during the heat of battle. Aspiring fantasy artists have created some nifty portraits of Liriel, so when I get to the Starlight & Shadows trilogy, I'll add a fan art gallery. And so on. I'd welcome feedback and suggestions.

If you're interested in adding some of the Forgotten Realms backlist books to your library, I hope these pages will make the process a little easier and more interesting.

Sweet water, light laughter,
ec
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2012 :  15:08:25  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great stuff, thank you!

(The link to the info page on Elfsong is currently not working because it misses the .com suffix.)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  15:49:50  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was updating my website to add links to the newly released audio books and noticed that the Kindle version of EVERMEET is currently on sale for $2.99. If you're building your Forgotten Realms digital library, this would be a good time to add this particular novel. :)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  15:51:50  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

Great stuff, thank you!

(The link to the info page on Elfsong is currently not working because it misses the .com suffix.)

Thanks for the heads-up, Thieran. I fixed the link. Here 'tis:
http://www.elainecunningham.com/books/forgotten-realms/elfsong-info/
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  15:53:56  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Today is release day for three of my Forgotten Realms novels in audio book format: Evermeet, Tangled Webs, and Windwalker. (Not sure why Daughter of the Drow isn't on the list, but I'm looking into it.) My short story collection, The Best of the Realms Book III, is also out, and so are two anthologies to which I contributed. (Realms of Infamy, Realms of the Arcane.) You can find these at Amazon.com or Audible.com. I'm currently adding links to both booksellers to the book info pages on my website.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2013 :  20:20:47  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Quite a few of my Forgotten Realms novels, as well as anthologies to which I contributed, have been released as audio books since my last post. This includes all of the Songs & Swords books, the Starlight & Shadows trilogy, Evermeet, City of Splendors, and the short story collection Best of the Realms III.

A few days ago, The Magehound was also released as an ebook. Here's a linkto its page on Amazon.com:

http://tinyurl.com/ctmhkyz
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2013 :  16:49:22  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So when will you be writing new novels for us milady? Your FR fan base is large, surely it's just a matter of time?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000