Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 All the little questions.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  05:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just wanted to start a thread just for questions that anyone has regarding Dungeons & Dragons and Forgotten Realms rules. You know the small little things that you've never quite figured out, or would like to have clarified -- but by people who aren't paid to do that. This isn't a thread for "why is Bard the favored class of the gnome race now?" -- it's for questions like "in order for my character to hit someone, does the attack roll have to be greater, or can it just be equal?"

So ask away. As Mumadar said, the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 31 Oct 2003 17:56:40

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  05:51:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are some of the questions that have been bothering me of late:

When a spellcaster with a familiar takes Alertness, does it stack with familar-granted alertness?

When a character takes the Duelist PrC, gaining an Int bonus to AC, that bonus is not available when flat-footed. What about when a rogue takes that PrC? Should the Int bonus count as a Dex bonus for the purposes of the Uncanny Dodge class feature?

When a character has the (Combat) Expertise feat, it’s supposed to be used like an improved “fighting defensively.” Does any use of the feat in combat count as fighting defensively for the purposes of other feats and class features?

When a familiar’s master dies, the familiar is treated as having a master two levels lower than when the master was alive, keeping all abilities not tied to the presence of a master. What happens if that former familiar is bonded to a spellcaster of a level more than two below the previous? Will the familiar loose the ability to speak with other animals of its type and spell resistance (should it have had them while unbonded) and loose its natural armor and intelligence bonuses until equal to a familiar of the new master’s level?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  06:13:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ultimately, Bookwyrm, most of your questions would need to be ruled on by your DM.

1:The PHB(3.5)contradicts itself on this. On page 53, in the familiar sidebar, it says that the master is granted the Alertness feat. However, in the description of the Alertness feat on page 89, it says that the master gains the benefit of the Alertness feat, not the feat itself. If your DM allows both feats to be active, the bonuses would stack as they are unnamed bonuses. Ulitmately, I'd be inclined to let both the feat and the ability work, as they come from different sources in my eyes(the Alertness feat from the actual master's senses, and the ability as if the familiar was using the 'aid another' action).
2:I'd say the rogue in question would keep the Int bonus modifier, as the class description specifically ties the ability's bonus to when the character's Dexterity bonus is negated(DMG 3.5, p 185).
3:Page 92 of the 3.5 PHB would seem to indicate that the Combat Expertise feat would replace the normal fighting defensively option. However, looking at page 140, the fighting defensively action can be used separately of the Combat Expertise feat, and the bonuses do stack. Ultimately, I'd treat it as two different modifiers, the difference between the specific application of a combat style and the intentional defensive fighting maneuver at the cost of offense.
4:Up to the DM, this is one of those holes in the rules. I would say that the familiar would keep its full array of abilities. This generally makes sense with what I've read about magic in D&D(and specifically the Realms).
*Wanders off reading Evermeet.*
Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2003 :  11:43:14  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How can I use sense motive, bluff, diplomasy and intimidate in the group?
If a 18 charisma paladin orders to another player to do something that the player don't want, how can I arrange this? Do I neglect the abilities in group or how can I apply this in the game if I don't?

Punish me if you will, for my hands are not clean. But deny me not my revenge!"
-Jander Sunstar

Edited by - Jander Sunstar on 29 Oct 2003 11:45:10
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  18:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Ultimately, Bookwyrm, most of your questions would need to be ruled on by your DM.

Oh, I'm not looking for the "official" way of doing things. I'm just looking for interpretations based on what seems to make sense to others.

Jander, I'd say that using such skill checks against party members would require coordination not only with the DM, but with the other player(s) as well. Intimidation is the easiest; the player and DM should reach an agreement about how easily that character is intimidated, factor in situational modifiers as normal, and figure out what the character responds like on certain results. (Beating the chosen DC by less than five means reluctant cooperation, and by ten the character's so cowed he's obeying without question.)

For a paladin to do this to a non-evil character, though, would either require some very skillfull role-playing, or the paladin loosing some or all abilities.

Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2003 :  19:00:28  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bookwyrm
I don't know what if a player decides to cheat the party or steal from them for the easiest, he will lie I will know but another player with 10 sense motive can figure out this lie or bluff but if I say them to roll for checks in that situation the lie would be understood and the all role play would slip away.
do I roll the the checks secretly and tell them what they notice during the conversation.
in that situation,x-lier b-listener
A clue such as b may notice that x is unusually looking inside b's eyes without a blink.
Is it a decent solution?

-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2003 :  06:07:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think what you should keep in mind is the real reason for all the rules and dice rolls -- it's to keep things consistant. If the players can't solve it in role play, then they should use dice. In something like the situation above, where orders are given, dice might be best. In what you've discribed, a lie between PCs, try to make it more roleplay than not.

The DM is the moderator, first and foremost. Keep things running along smoothly, always keeping balance in mind. After that comes the story. If you feel it's adding to things, encourage it. If it's getting in the way (such as other players getting annoyed), then tell them to get out their d20s or kiss and make up.

Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2003 :  12:29:55  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bookwyrm, it will really help
One another thing I m confused about is gather information skill. How is it used?
Does the player roll the check to learn about what he finds out or does the dm give him clues about where to go or who to seek according to his skill level?

-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2003 :  15:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The player rolls a skill check. If you're playing a published adventure, there should be a table that gives you rumors according to what DCs the player beats. A player hears the rumor with the highest check DC that they accomplished, and all the rumors with lesser check DCs. If you're creating the adventure yourself, you can create one of these tables. Remember that you do not have to create a table like this for every adventure, just ones where general citizens in a community might know something. If the player is trying to learn information from one specific person, then they should use Diplomacy and Intimidate. On the question of the interactive skills(i.e. Diplomacy), those skills only affect NPCs. Those sorts of discussions are supposed to be worked out by good roleplaying by the players.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2003 :  17:07:08  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes,I was wondering,why is Bard the favored class of the gnome race now?Hehehe..Couldn't resist BW.
No really, with the skill of bluff,intimidate and diplomacy all are based on Charisma,correct? For example, how does someone like a halfling bard with an 18 Cha. and a Str. of 6 intimidate a Drawf fighter with a 11 Cha. and 18 Str.?..Alignment doesn't seem to matter either!!? In the real world it would be better to use Diplomacy on someone who could end your world.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  04:40:57  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that such things should be up to the DM, who after all sets these DCs. The basic idea is that some people intimidate with shear force of personality.

(You ought to meet my dad sometime. I used to be highly intimidated (read 'scared *&^%less') by his mere look. That was before I found out he didn't know half as much as he claims he does.)

However, I think that circumstance will add to or detract from either the DC or the Intimidate roll. (Same difference, anyway.) If your cherubic little halfling tried that on your big, strong dwarf, it wouldn't be easy. But what if that halfling had just demonstrated how easily he can burn off that beard the dwarf likes so much with just a wave of his hand? Or take control of him through magic, perhaps -- I doubt a dwarf would like to wake up and find that he'd walked into his clan's territory holding a sign that said "I <3 goblins."

(Ooh, that would be evil. )

Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  16:35:14  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess you right Bookwyrm but don't forget the Dwarf's MR and will saves.May be hard to dominate before a double bladed axe split a halfling skull,lots of possibilities.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  20:20:12  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is written in player's handbook to add hd to 10 but I think every a paladin of Torm cannot be intimidated easily or a warrior priest of Tempus. They should have more morale rating also man can choose to be a daredevil so he cannot be intimidated unless by magical means.
And wisdom and background should effect this also. I think it is best to do role play of intimidation and roll the check according to the act.

-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  22:04:23  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jander Sunstar

It is written in player's handbook to add hd to 10 but I think every a paladin of Torm cannot be intimidated easily or a warrior priest of Tempus. They should have more morale rating also man can choose to be a daredevil so he cannot be intimidated unless by magical means.
And wisdom and background should effect this also. I think it is best to do role play of intimidation and roll the check according to the act.

Hmmm,perhaps.Any thoughts Arivia?

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  22:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The interaction skills really don't take into account all the variables they could. They're basically useful for the occasional interaction moment in kick-in-the-door campaigns, and if you have any idea how to roleplay well, you don't(shouldn't)use them. I dispense with them any time the players can roleplay anything resembing well. They really aren't a good idea in general, and in fact suppress roleplaying with some groups.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  22:21:07  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay,that makes sense.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  22:32:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember, the way I think about it is that a character's personality and stats should always match. My character's only real social interaction (in the sense of outside a small circle of friends and aquaintances) comes from classes he participates in, either as teacher or student. He has a -1 modifier for Diplomacy, Intimidate, and similar skills, but a +2 for Perform (oration); he's highly inexperienced with close, face-to-face interaction, except as a storyteller or lecturer.

If I see a character with 10 ranks in Intimidate, I imagine him as a person used to getting his way. If he has that much in Diplomacy, he's used to taking the middle ground. Roleplay should reflect that. I think there should be some dice rolling anyway, if no other reason than to help players who might not be as "forceful" or other in real life and can't fake it.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  22:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's fair, Bookwyrm. If a given player can't roleplay something out very well, then using the dice is an acceptable substitute.
It's just that roleplaying tends to be more interesting and captivating then simple dice-rolling.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  22:50:10  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they can't roleplay then kick them out.
No,you are right Bookwyrm.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  22:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's cruel, William.
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2003 :  23:02:15  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's cruel, William.

I was joking,I wouldn't do that!!!hehehe

Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  14:33:59  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We just make them try. If they can't at least try to role play it them maybe let them roll and fill in the blanks for them based upon their rolls.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page

SanguineDefect
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  15:42:45  Show Profile  Visit SanguineDefect's Homepage Send SanguineDefect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We can't find these bits of info in the tomes provided by candlekeep?
*Shall check later on when more time is allotted to him*
And what is a "rumor" in the game?

Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elyhinn dal lil alust
Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  20:58:26  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How does the twilight elves look like? can someone describe me? Sage, Bookwyrm,Arivia does anyone know? please...

-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  22:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of the twilight elves before. Are you referring to the lythari, or star elves or what?
SanguineDefect, see my answer to the Gather Information question. You can seed rumors onto the table, and the PCs won't know what's true or not...
Go to Top of Page

SanguineDefect
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2003 :  22:06:24  Show Profile  Visit SanguineDefect's Homepage Send SanguineDefect a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've never heard of the twilight elves before. Are you referring to the lythari, or star elves or what?
SanguineDefect, see my answer to the Gather Information question. You can seed rumors onto the table, and the PCs won't know what's true or not...

ah, Muckle thanks

Nindyn vel'uss kyorl nind ratha thalra elyhinn dal lil alust
Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  08:12:40  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the information I was looking for, thanks anyway. They look like drows but they are a good race it is not a very balanced race though but looking like a drow is enough flaw I think
If anyone is interested in new races www.geocities.com/plutoreus/monster_new_races.html can work

-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  10:06:44  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok, here is a question:

I dont get 3.5 rules, but here goes anyway. So now i have found out that in my game i can level up in any class i want, the only restrictions being that i cant lvl up into a cleric if i have no deity and more than two levels difference between the classes and i get penalised.

So, now assuming i have a sorcerer, and then i lvl up in fighter, or some class that can wear heavy armour. Can I then equip that armour and cast spells or are they disabled? Im not talking about the percentage successful casting inabilities of the armour, just will i be able to cast on principle?

As well, I see that dual-wielding has been amended to to a -6 main hand and a -10 off hand skill set with dual wielding feat bringing it down to -4 -4 and then light weapons bringing it to -2 -2. Does this mean that with dual-wielding you will always have -2 -2 at best? Is there no way to improve this? Why have they basically killed the appeal of dual wielding? I mean it looks like i will need a +2 to thaco weapon just to get a normal chance of hitting.

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  10:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For your first question, MuadDib, yes, you can. Arcane spell failure chance applies, but that's it.
The -2/-2 penalty is applied to your normal bonus.
Example follows.
Daren, a 9th level human fighter, is using a longsword and a short sword. His Strength is 18, and he has the Two-weapon Fighting feat. Normally, he gets one attack at +13(base attack bonus(9)+Strength modifier(4)), and an additional attack at +8(base attack bonus reduced by 5 for first iterative attack(4)+Strength modifier(4)). When he uses the shortsword, he gets an attack with the shortsword at +11(base attack bonus(9)+Strength modifier(4)-two weapon fighting penalty(-2, because he's using a light weapon, and he has the Two-Weapon Fighting feat.). He does not gain his additional attack with the shortsword, because he doesn't have the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat. The attacks with his longsword are at +11/+6, because now the -2 penalty from two-weapon fighting applies.
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  10:40:36  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So if i am using light weapons and I have 'improved' dual wielding, will it down to 0/0?

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2003 :  10:44:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, Improved Two-Weapon fighting gives you that extra attack, if you have it.
Daren would have another shortsword attack at +6 if he had taken that feat.
The only feat that Wizards has published that completely erases the penalty is an epic feat, which means you must be at least a 21st level character to take it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000