Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 characters with multiple powers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

barry
Acolyte

South Africa
27 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  20:16:43  Show Profile  Visit barry's Homepage Send barry a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
can a character such as a wizard priest reach levels of power "reserved" for those who concentrate on one ability such as being a 20 th level archmage or can they be a 18 level priest and archmage or druid or psionist .does this apply to the F/R books characters , whould they be to powerful? what are your thoughts?

Cyric
Senior Scribe

Norway
388 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  20:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Cyric's Homepage Send Cyric a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric is powerful....and in Baldurs gate 2 there was a elf who was priest and mage and she could be very powerful.
But i dont think that if you do not focus they could be very powerful...
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2003 :  21:17:13  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely...what you are referring to is called "multi-classing", and it is a very popular choice for most characters. As a matter of fact VERY few characters in the Realms these days are single-classed....

For example...

Drizzt Do'Urden is a level 10 fighter, level 1 barbarian and a level 5 ranger, according to the Forgotten Realms Handbook. Joining him in the ranks of multi-class characters are Elminster, Blackstaff, Artemis Entreri, Storm Silverhand and a host of others.....

Multi-classing is outlined in the Player's Handbook (version 3) on pages 21-23.

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  08:56:41  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's impossible to overbalance the multiclassing, if you follow the rules. You have to trade off things; every level you take of another class is a level lost from your main one. If you work it right, though, you can make a pretty powerful character, even measured against characters with the same number of levels but a single class.

For instance, one of my characters is a level-nine character; four levels in fighter (though it's been heavily modified) and five levels of wizard.

If he'd been a straight fighter, he'd have a Base Attack Bonus of +9/+4. That's four higher than a 9th level wizard, and gives an extra attack per round. He'd have had a higher Fortitude save bonus, two extra fighter feats, and more hitpoints. As a 9th level wizard, he'd have access to more powerful spells, which would be harder to resist, and his familiar would be more powerful.

As it is, he has a BAB of +6/+1 and access to 3rd-level spells. I traded in the armor proficiencies for some dodge bonuses, so he can handle melee combat better than a ninth-level wizard, and without the spell failure chance. He can also channel touch spells into his sword, allowing him to deal some extra damage if he beats the target's full AC. He also uses other spells to gain effectiveness in combat, such as mage armor, magic weapon, true strike, etc.

I think it's pretty effective. I haven't used him in combat yet, though. Well, except for in the introduction, but that's a cut scene. No dice rolls. I'll have to wait for Sage to throw a few enemies his way.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  11:43:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, I couldn't have explained that better myself...

As a side-note, I am currently getting all the CRs for the Encounters prepared as I type this...the first portion of the FR adventure will soon be ready.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2003 :  17:36:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay! I get to find out what happens!

I guess that the prologue I was writting will only get finished during play. Not so bad. Gives me a set situation to move it into. And I already told you the basic outline of what happens, so you'll know (should that be important).

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2003 :  08:03:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is...at least from an adventure design point .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2018 :  13:55:48  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker Barry,

There are certainly ways I think you can get characters to be commensurate power levels that you are talking about. However, there are not many combinations of classes/base classes/prestige classes, that will usually get as powerful as a straight wizard, cleric, etc.

Though, if you want to see the 2000 foot tall munchkin of ultimate obliteration, I am sure it is to be found on Giant In The Playground: giantitp.com.

All things broken can be found there, haha.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by barry

can a character such as a wizard priest reach levels of power "reserved" for those who concentrate on one ability such as being a 20 th level archmage or can they be a 18 level priest and archmage or druid or psionist .does this apply to the F/R books characters , whould they be to powerful? what are your thoughts?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000