Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Chosen of Vhaeraun
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  05:28:46  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is a template I designed, and would like reviewed by Bookwyrm and the Sage. Other opinions are welcome, of course, but you guys have helped me so many times, I couldn't resist asking your opinion.

Template: The Chosen of Vhaeraun

Latent Powers (Extraordinary Abilities):

Effective Dex raised to 25 (with all benefits)
Immune to disease and poisons
Chosen no longer requires sleep, and can function for up to seven days without food or water (as if a Potion of Vitality). No longer ages, though he may choose to appear of any age via other magics. He is also immune to magical aging.
Immune to Death magic, +5 vs. Shadow Weave Magic.
Chosen may detect magic at will, with in a 90' or line of sight range. Shadows dance around the magical object.
+2d8 Magic Resistance Bonus.
Always aware of name or nickname spoken, and the next 9 words, no matter how long between the enunciation of her name and the next words. May be tuned out by concentration, but is otherwise "always on."
Immune to the Effects of Illusion (acts as a permanent True Sight Spell) and Psionics
May call upon the shadows for protection: as Ring of Invisibility, Mindshielding, +5 to saves vs. Bright or Sudden Light, OR granting a +10 modifier to theOR a Scroll of Protection from Gas. Chosen may do this at will, and with unlimited duration, but only one effect may operate per round.

Manifested Powers (Supernatural and Spelllike Abilities):

Chosen may call forth the Shadowfire as follows: As Shadow Spray, Armor of Darkness, Blacklight, Darkbolt, and Globe of Darkness at will.
Chosen may "Shadow Walk" through the Demiplane of Shadow. 3 times per night.
May manifest Shadow Mask, and Cloak of Dark Power 2 times per night.
Chosen may become a Shadow 1 time per week.
Chosen may create a Web of Shadows (as per the 9th level mage spell) 2 times per day (as if cast by a mage of 18th level).
Shadowfire may also be used/manifested with/in the Chosen's body to banish all external magical or psionic compulsions without restriction.
The Chosen Drow keep their spelllike abilities and original Magic Resistance; they also gain additional +10 bonuses Hide in Shadows and Move Silently. They are not adversely affected by light conditions (natural or magical).

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

Edited by - Shadowlord on 04 Feb 2004 05:45:07

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  06:07:19  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that's one powerful template. I am pretty sure whoever carried that could take out Elminster and the Seven Sisters, not that it would be a bad thing. But, lets be sepcific. First, you do a good job of capturing the feeling a Vhaeraunite Chosen, with plenty of shadow-type powers, but I do see some problems. The most glaring problem I see is that it is too heavy on the latent powers. My biggest problem is the immunity to psionics, which comes across as kind of unecessary, since in most campaign you SR is used for psionics as well, and you assign a SR bonus with the template. Now, if you use a special PR (psionics resistance) it still is a bit much. The immunites to aging, disease, poison, and death magic are okay, that is an almost perfect mirror of the Chosen of Mystra (they are immune to disintegration though), so it is okay. It might be a good idea to add in the point about still having to rest to regain spells in part about not requiring sleep, for clarification. I am kind of confused by two things, first the immunity to illusions, do you mean magic of the illusion school or that they have permanent True Seeing and second, why did you make it +2d8 to SR as oppsed to a standard number + character levels bonus, like the Shade template (11+level)? Other things, the effective dex increase might be a bit much or too little, since some character could easily have more, other less. It should be a + number (i.e. similar to the +10 to efrfective constitution that Chosen of Mystra recieve), otherwise the ability can be utterly worthless. The other thing is that with all the heavu Manifested Power and the bonuses to saves there should be a light/shadow penalty or bonus situation to balance it out, again like the Shade. The added limitation adds flavor and help balance the heavy abilities the Chosen recieves. It does not have to be too severe, but there should be something to power it down a little. That's all I can do for now. Overall, not bad.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  06:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, let me clarify a bit. The shadow/illusion type abilities can ONLY be used at night. Note how on many abilities there is the can be used "1 time per night", as opposed to day. Sorry, I should have said that. Shadows are too weak during the daytime. Second, that means they have permanent true seeing. Third, I wasn't really sure on the Psionics thing, so that can be taken out. That better? And thank you, I do appretiate the feedback.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

Edited by - Shadowlord on 04 Feb 2004 06:13:22
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  06:21:36  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really, it depends on how you run psionics, and it might needs a change whent ehy release the updated psionics handbooks, but right now SR covers all, as psionics were made part of magic. Like I said, its not bad, jsut needs good tweaks, like any template.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2004 :  06:24:34  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I'll post a revised edition of the Chosen somewhat later when I get more feedback. Thanks for the help, Edain.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  03:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, here is the revised edition of my template, which is still open to review by all who are even remotely interested.

Template: The Chosen of Vhaeraun

Latent Powers (Extraordinary Abilities):
Effective Dex +10 (with all benefits)
Immune to disease and poisons
Chosen no longer requires sleep, and can function for up to seven days without food or water (as if a Potion of Vitality). No longer ages, though he may choose to appear of any age via other magics. He is also immune to magical aging.
Immune to Death magic, +5 vs. Shadow Weave Magic.
Chosen may detect magic at will, with in a 90' or line of sight range. Shadows dance around the magical object.
Spell Resistance: +2 per character level
Always aware of name or nickname spoken, and the next 10 words, no matter how long between the enunciation of her name and the next words. May be tuned out by concentration, but is otherwise "always on."
Immune to the Effects of Illusion (acts as a permanent True Sight Spell)
May call upon the shadows for protection: as Ring of Invisibility, Mindshielding, +5 to saves vs. Bright or Sudden Light, or granting a +10 modifier to Dexterity. Chosen may do this at will, and with unlimited duration, but only one effect may operate per round.

Manifested Powers (Supernatural and Spelllike Abilities):
Chosen may call forth the Shadowfire as follows: As Shadow Spray, Armor of Darkness, Blacklight, Darkbolt, and Darkness at will.
Chosen may "Shadow Walk" through the Demiplane of Shadow 3 times per night.
May manifest Shadow Mask, and Cloak of Dark Power 2 times per night.
Chosen may become an Undead Shadow (which is susceptible to all attacks regarding undead creatures, such as Turn Undead) 1 time per week.
Chosen may create a Web of Shadows (as per the 9th level mage spell) 2 times per week (as if cast by a mage of 18th level).
Shadowfire may also be used/manifested with/in the Chosen's body to banish all external magical compulsions without restriction.
The Chosen Drow keep their spell-like abilities and original Magic Resistance; they also gain additional +10 bonuses to Hide and Move Silently.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun

Edited by - Shadowlord on 19 Feb 2004 15:31:24
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  08:43:01  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really good work this, I quess you havn't just been on vacation, god luck with your project.

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Edited by - Ezindir the dark on 19 Feb 2004 08:43:45
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  14:32:20  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the +10 SR per character level is too powerful. A lvl 10 character would have +100 SR. No way anyone can breach that. Make it something along the lines of what monks get. It is powerful, but still it can be beaten.

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  15:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, thank you, Cherrn. I didn't mean for that to be 10........ Come to think of it, I did come home at 10 p.m., so I wasn't truly myself The SR has been revised

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  15:48:57  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that's a kind of SR I can dig Shadowlord. It looks good, maybe there's still a bit of tweaking in order, but still, it looks good.

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  16:13:35  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every good template is in need of tweaking at first Cherrn, but thank you for the compliments.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000