Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Element absorbing cloak....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Baltor
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  16:48:47  Show Profile  Visit Baltor's Homepage Send Baltor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm the DM and one of my party members wants to create a cloak that absorbs(converts to healing) an element (only one, decided upon creation). Is this fair? If so, about how much should an item like this cost?
I realize the potential that this item could have, ruling out the neccessity for a cleric or some specificly healing oriented class.
Thanks in advance.

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  17:20:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it would only be overpowering if the wearer were hit by this particular energy often. Of course, then the mage might be using these sorts of spells on himself, effectively turning a damage-producing spell into a healing one.

I'd suggest it be like a robe that gives energy resistance 5/-, but I'd make it 3/- instead, letting the wearer heal that much. The robe would deal +3 damage of the opposing element, though. Have to keep things balanced.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  19:37:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing to keep in mind is that in 3e D&D, not all of the energy types are created equal. Fire is the most prevalent, with cold falling in behind it(in most campaigns, not mine), followed by electricity, acid, and finally sonic. This sort of thing is especially a problem with the 0-level arcane energy ray spells, which would immediately outpace their healing equivalent in terms of power.(cure minor wounds-1 hp healing, ray of frost, 1d3 hp healing, greater range(I believe)). Things become even more unbalanced when you look at fireball vs. healing circle. Oh, and if you're going to restrict the cloak to sonic or acid or such, the feat Energy Substitution/Energy Affinity could throw a wrench in your plans. Ultimately, you might have to restrict it to enemy spells or such...your choice.
Go to Top of Page

Aman the Rejected
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  22:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Aman the Rejected's Homepage Send Aman the Rejected a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could make the 'healing' temporary hit points only ...

-"The night went by peacefully and your watch was unsuccessful."
-"What do you mean? Am I blind now?"
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2004 :  09:09:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Something I noticed a few days ago is that the Book of Exalted Deeds presents a spell that does exactly what Baltor has suggested. As such, this is a completed version of such an item.

Edited by - Arivia on 20 Feb 2004 09:10:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000