Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 New spells need polishing off
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Adrian Moonbow
Seeker

Denmark
64 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  07:11:34  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Moonbow's Homepage Send Adrian Moonbow a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Here are three of my new spells:

Comments:
Detect Lycanthrope: Based on Detect Undead.
Reveal Magic: Not just a write-up of the 2nd edition spell. Based on Detect Magic, yet powered up a bit.
Stasis: Should this be level 2 or 3? My friends and I think it would be appropriate at lvl 3, since it is permanent. If you can put more flavor text on this spell, say so.

Detect Lycanthrope
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 60 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped emanation
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute/ level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Originally created by the mage Kheruef and is loosely based on Detect Undead. The 'lycanthropic aura' is the special lycanthropic component that exist in the blood of the lycanthrope and that makes the lycanthrope a subject of this spell.
You can detect the aura that surrounds lycanthropes. The amount of information revealed depends on how long you study a particular area.
1st Round: Presence or absence of lycanthropic auras.
2nd Round: Number of lycanthropic auras in the area
3rd Round: The strength and location of each lycanthropic aura. If an aura is outside your line of sight, then you discern its direction but not its exact location.
Each round, you can turn to detect lycanthropes in a new area. The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.
Material Component: A tuft of hair from a lycanthrope.

Reveal Magic
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 0 ft.
Area: 25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels radius sphere
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 min./level (D)

Also known as Kheruef's Thaumaturgical Revelation, and made to show non-spellcasters the wonders of magic
The amount of information revealed depends upon the character watching the aura. If the character do not have the Spellcraft skill, then he can only see the number and location of each aura
If the person watching has Spellcraft then he can see the number, strength and location of each aura. If the items or creatures bearing the auras are in line of sight, he can make Spellcraft skill checks to determine the school of magic involved in each. (Make one check per aura; DC 15 + spell level, or 15 + half caster level for a nonspell effect.)
Magical areas, multiple types of magic, or strong local magical emanations may distort or conceal weaker auras.
Aura Strength: An aura’s power depends on a spell’s functioning spell level or an item’s caster level. If an aura falls into more than one category, reveal magic indicates the stronger of the two.

*Insert Aura power table from Detect magic here*

Lingering Aura: A magical aura lingers after its original source dissipates (in the case of a spell) or is destroyed (in the case of a magic item). If reveal magic is cast near such a location, the spell indicates an aura strength of dim (even weaker than a faint aura). How long the aura lingers at this dim level depends on its original power:
Original Strength Duration of Lingering Aura
Faint 1d6 rounds
Moderate 1d6 minutes
Strong 1d6x10 minutes
Overwhelming 1d6 days
Outsiders and elementals are not magical in themselves, but if they are summoned, the conjuration spell registers.
The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt blocks it.

Stasis
Universal
Level: Cleric 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, (M)
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Touch
Taget: One nonmagical, nonliving object weighing up to 50 lbs. + lb./level
Duration: Permanent

This spell preserves food stuff, dead bodies, everything nonmagical that would deteriorate over time. The spell covers the object in an invisible, intangible field which prevents air and moisture from causing decay and rot.
Material Component: A small lump of wax.

"I would have wanted not to die.
I would have wanted never to grow up!"
-Quidam

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2004 :  17:05:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My suggestions are to make reveal magic castable on one creature per two levels, and to make stasis either a higher level or a non-permanent spell (such as 24 hours per level).

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Adrian Moonbow
Seeker

Denmark
64 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  10:21:06  Show Profile  Visit Adrian Moonbow's Homepage Send Adrian Moonbow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The whole idea about stasis is that it is permanent.

It's level is derived partly from looking at the power of the other permanent spells available and partly from looking at a similar psionic power.

The 2nd edition spell Reveal Magic (that I looked at after I had created the first version of the spell) can be found in the City of Splendors boxed set.

"I would have wanted not to die.
I would have wanted never to grow up!"
-Quidam
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000