Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Magical Superpower Help
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2004 :  02:03:24  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I need some help with making a super powerful Sorcerer/Wizard. Does anybody know a place oline that might have some good stats for somebody like Elminster?
Or if you have some good ideas. His name is the Sage of Talboro and he's an evil Wizard. He's liven for about 5,000 years. He runs the kingdom of Talboro. Talboro is kinda like Thay.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  05:15:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What exactly are you looking for? If you want class levels, Elminster's a Fighter 1/Rogue 2/Cleric 3/Wizard 24/Archmage 5, for a total of 35 levels. With him being a Chosen of Mystra, he's got a Challenge Rating of 39.

But, unless you're planing on him personally fighting the PCs, then don't worry too much about your evil wizard. Your players don't need to know how powerful he is, or what his capabilities are. That way you stay flexible. Though I'd suggest you give him the full five levels of Archmage; he ought to have that, at least.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  10:43:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

What exactly are you looking for? If you want class levels, Elminster's a Fighter 1/Rogue 2/Cleric 3/Wizard 24/Archmage 5, for a total of 35 levels. With him being a Chosen of Mystra, he's got a Challenge Rating of 39.

But, unless you're planing on him personally fighting the PCs, then don't worry too much about your evil wizard. Your players don't need to know how powerful he is, or what his capabilities are. That way you stay flexible. Though I'd suggest you give him the full five levels of Archmage; he ought to have that, at least.

Agreed.

Targon, this is really all dependent on how much impact on, and usage in, this 'magical superpower' is going to have in your games.

What can you tell us...?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2004 :  19:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my players is begging for something good and I'm going to make him a Half Brass Golem. The player is going to be under the control of the Sage and my players will have to have some fights with him.
Also, my players work for a organization that was founded by a Silver Dragon by the name of Talorunetoracor aka Talon, the hated enemy of the Sage of Talboro. So the Sage is kinda bound close to the group as an enemy.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2004 :  06:16:43  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leave things vague until you actually need specifics. For now, just think of the things you need him to be. Obviously, he needs to be an epic character. Possibly on par with Elminster? In that case, he should be 30-35th level. Don't decide just yet, just keep that in mind. Now go and decide powers, abilities, magic items, etc. Obviously this guy would have cast a bunch of wishes so he'll have increased ability scores.

Likely he has some spell slots over 9th level because of his Intelligence score, so think about the Innate Spell feat. If he started with 18 Int and the Spellcasting Prodigy feat, and is at least 28th level, then he can have a modifier of +11 as far as spell DCs and bonus spells are concerned. Add Innate Spell and he could toss a fireball every round!

Five levels of Archmage is a must, of course. And so is the Mastery of Elements option. It could take a new light when the guy's Innate Spells are concerned: it can modify an elemental spell when cast. So, if he tosses out that spell-like ability fireball at the party, causing the party to put up a fire-absorbing protection . . . switch it to sonic, the least used energy form.

Think as well about Improved Familiar. I'm sure you can find a nice, powerful familiar for him. Something that can stand up to punishment as it attacks the party.

That's just a few things to think about. Go and look at what you want him to be, then think of ways to make him like that. Don't be afraid of multi-classing, either; this is an NPC, so you can make him whatever level you want, and bugger the XP penalty.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000