Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for R A Salvatore
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Charon
Acolyte

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  03:34:42  Show Profile  Visit Charon's Homepage Send Charon a Private Message
yes please tell me your writing more about the characters...PLEASE
especially about entreri and jarlaxle...perhaps about their mysterious pasts?

we...are...legion
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  03:38:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Charon

yes please tell me your writing more about the characters...PLEASE
especially about entreri and jarlaxle...perhaps about their mysterious pasts?

You have read their story in Realms of the Dragons?
Go to Top of Page

BrokenRulz
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2004 :  21:51:00  Show Profile  Visit BrokenRulz's Homepage Send BrokenRulz a Private Message
Time once again for a reader's review of The Two Swords, done by me: BrokenRulz. In no way, shape, or form do I speak for anyone other than myself and no, I have no affiliation with any sort of literary establishment...damnit...

I give The Two Swords an 8 out of 10. WHAT!? Is that what you just uttered? Did I really just hear a collective gasp of astonishment echo forth from lands near and far all the way to where I am on the East Coast? Why not a 10 out of 10? It's RA after all! It's Drizzt! What are you thinking man!

First of all, I have ready about 95% of all past and current FR books and only 2, that's right, TWO have recieved perfect 10 out of 10s. One was HOMELAND, by RAS. The other shall remain unnamed, for to speak it's name, even to write it, is to invite serious overdoses of good memory. But I digress...

The Two Swords is Excellent. We begin right away where we left off, the dwarves are besieged! Oh no! What will happen to Bruenor, Pwent, Banak, Bimbleboof, Kegstealer and Oakensplat do!? (Sorry, couldn't resist a little humor when it comes to RAS dwarf names) I'm worried about them of course, but I'm after one thing when I open this book: I want to see Drizzt lay it down! Yet it is to be awhile, sadly, before this is to take place.

Battles take place and my friends what battles! My interest is renewed. Epic battles take place the likes of which I have not read in some time and page after page flies by as your swept up in the events of war and loss. Dwarven rage, halfling courage (god love that Rumblebelly) and the ever awe inspiring site of Wulfgar and Catti-brie (will they get back together!!??) fighting side by side once more.

Am I giving away to much? No, I really don't think so. After all, RAS once again keeps you guessing about issues old and new time after time. Yes, the love triangle between Wulfgar, Catti-brie and Drizzt is finally brought to a close...or is it!? HA! You'll have to read and find out what that means! Dang you RAS! For that, I must dock you a point! You promised after all and I was still left with doubts!

Now we come to the meat of why you must read this book. Drizzt, that dark elf you all know and love, finally makes his move some pages into the book and let's loose with his blades upon orc, giant and a truly unique villain: Obould Many-Arrows. I like this orc, I really do. I also like the "vision" this character has and the direction he could take the Silver Marches for role playing and future novels.

Folks, I was forced to dock another point because it was blatently obvious that RAS didn't know what to do with the character of Delly Colson. She was sort of just...there...and I didn't really "get" her. I suppose she is supposed to represent "helpless, reformed hooker" or something along those lines and I'll admit she fufills an important part of the story, but she sort of just...I don't know...didn't do it for me. Sorry, but I don't really know what for. A part of the whole love triangle thing, I gue...GAH! That issue popped up again!? Curse you Salvatore!

Seriously though, read this book! It sets up an awesome idea for future novels, ones that will hopefully have more Drizzt and in some way involve Khazid'hea. WHAT!? That sword!? HA! You'll have to read the book and find out why I added that.

Enjoy folks! Thank you RAS! Keep 'em comin!

D.
Go to Top of Page

laethyn
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  06:37:26  Show Profile  Visit laethyn's Homepage Send laethyn a Private Message
Don't you love how Bob can install a sense of closure, and doubt, with but a single word? (regarding Drizzt and Cat)

As far at the book goes, I really enjoyed it. Though I am looking forward to hearing more of Artemis and Jarlaxle (the next couple of books should focus on those 2, with some Companions of the Hall short stories to keep us sated), I really enjoyed that although it is ended, there is so much left undone, and they are all in a "strange place". Ah well, Curse you Bob! (Still convinced both Bob, and Thomas (yeah, you admited it, don't try and deny it!), use subliminal messages in their works)
Go to Top of Page

Charon
Acolyte

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  10:07:16  Show Profile  Visit Charon's Homepage Send Charon a Private Message

You have read their story in Realms of the Dragons?
[/quote]

No, sorry, not as of yet...where i live, the bookstores have only a limited supply of fr books (but i have read many thanks to the local library and the books i had manged to get my hands on)...it is getting better however...but on to more exciting topics...I HAVE A FANTASTIC IDEA!!!

just hear me out...im sure you all know that artemis is growing older...slower...and sob (i quote) losing that fine edge of brilliance...i do not want this to happen...so i say that artemis should be bitten by a vampire and afflicted with the disease so that he live forever, continue his travels with jarlaxle and become so damn strong he'll be invincible...Come on mr salvatore, i dont want arty to die! Just think of the adventures he could have...
neway...i hope you like my idea

we...are...legion
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  16:02:34  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
I HAVE A FANTASTIC IDEA!!!

just hear me out...im sure you all know that artemis is growing older...slower...and sob (i quote) losing that fine edge of brilliance...i do not want this to happen...so i say that artemis should be bitten by a vampire and afflicted with the disease so that he live forever, continue his travels with jarlaxle and become so damn strong he'll be invincible...Come on mr salvatore, i dont want arty to die! Just think of the adventures he could have...

I take it you haven't heard of Artemis' recent change?
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  22:37:52  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
I HAVE A FANTASTIC IDEA!!!

I take it you haven't heard of Artemis' recent change?

I think he hasn`t. *g*
Go to Top of Page

Elven One
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  22:43:59  Show Profile  Visit Elven One's Homepage Send Elven One a Private Message
What is the change with Entreri?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  23:22:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elven One

Take a look at this thread.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  23:57:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Elven One

He got a new tailor.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  04:38:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
He got a new tailor.

Not to mention a new patron that should make life...interesting for the character.
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2005 :  11:10:14  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message
Gromph Baenre is the fistborn son of Yvonnel Baenre
Triel Baenre is the fistborn daughter of Yvonnel Baenre
Gromph is 700 years old, but how old is Triel?
Is she older or younger then her brother Gromph?

And I want to know a timeline about Jarlaxles early years please.
All I could find was this:They never had three children at once. It was Gromph and Dantrag. When Yvonnel gave birth to Ibilith, she went to sacrifice him to get back in Lloth's favor. But before the Spider could feast upon the baby, an enemy house stole it. (Mizzrym or HuNett) So they only had two males(thought that Ibilith was dead.)
In Melee Magthere, Jarlnain(Ibilith) befreiended Zaknafein and they killed Dantrag. Hence now one known male.
Bergin'Yon was born last. Two known males, and you don't really find out that Jarlaxle(Way to get an Identity crisis. Three different names) is a Baenre until after the seige of Mithril Hall I beleive. And Bergin'Yon ditches by then...

From another board:
I'm looking to get the birth order correct as well as any children I have missed. I figured in one of your many D&D books there would be some info about them.

Yvonnel Baenre(Late matron mother)

Triel Current matron mother

Gromph Archmage

Bladen'Kerst(deceased) Was a priestess of Lloth and an extreme sadist.

Quenthel Mistress of Arach Tinilith

Sos'Umptu Cares for the Chapel

Dantrag(deceased) ex weapons master

Jarlnain(a.k.a. Ibilith and Jarlaxle)

Vendes(deceased)The unholy Executioner

Bergin'Yon Where-abouts unknown. Deserted after the seige of Mithril Hall.

Merith(adopted) ex commoner and very blunt priestess
Go to Top of Page

pocnib
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  00:45:27  Show Profile  Visit pocnib's Homepage Send pocnib a Private Message
Just a quick series of small questions that someone may or may not be able to answer
Has it been released as to when the Hunters Blade trilogy collectors edition will be released?
Are there further books in the Drizzt series post Hunters Blade in the works?
Is there any truth to rumors of a series about Enteri?
And finally more of a question for thought...Drizzt v. Jarlaxle who would win.
Thanks in advance if any answers can be given
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  04:48:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pocnib
Are there further books in the Drizzt series post Hunters Blade in the works?

To my knoledge, none currently are planned.

quote:

Is there any truth to rumors of a series about Enteri?

Yes, check out R.A. Salvatore's message board for information on Promise of the Witch Queen. Good title by the way.

quote:

And finally more of a question for thought...Drizzt v. Jarlaxle who would win.

Doesn't matter. Everyone with a lick of sense knows Artemis would smack them both around.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 15 Feb 2005 04:50:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  05:21:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Doesn't matter. Everyone with a lick of sense knows Artemis would smack them both around.

And Belwar Dissengulp could take Entreri.

Go to Top of Page

pocnib
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2005 :  22:42:32  Show Profile  Visit pocnib's Homepage Send pocnib a Private Message
quote:

I must strongly disagree that point, Drizzt could easily handle Artemis as it is shown in Icewind Dale, plus Drizzt has grown stronger since Icewind Dale and therefore can beat Artemis even easier. Also with Jarlaxle, I seemed to get the impression that he was feared by Artemis and even controlled Artemis to an extent. I doubt Artemis would allow this if he were the stronger. Also, with Belwar thrown into the match...Belwar would beat Artemis hands down, as for against the drow I doubt he would have such luck.That would be another interesting match. So Drizzt v. Jarlaxle, winner v. Belwar and all three could beat Artemis.
To conclude I truly would like to see an all out fight between Drizzt, Belwar, and Jarlaxle.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2005 :  23:45:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I must strongly disagree that point, Drizzt could easily handle Artemis as it is shown in Icewind Dale, plus Drizzt has grown stronger since Icewind Dale and therefore can beat Artemis even easier. Also with Jarlaxle, I seemed to get the impression that he was feared by Artemis and even controlled Artemis to an extent. I doubt Artemis would allow this if he were the stronger. Also, with Belwar thrown into the match...Belwar would beat Artemis hands down, as for against the drow I doubt he would have such luck.That would be another interesting match. So Drizzt v. Jarlaxle, winner v. Belwar and all three could beat Artemis.
To conclude I truly would like to see an all out fight between Drizzt, Belwar, and Jarlaxle.

It's pointless to ponder, as are most X vs. Y discussions. It keeps coming down to opinion... As for Belwar, I only mentioned him as a joke.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2005 :  04:51:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
It's pointless to ponder, as are most X vs. Y discussions. It keeps coming down to opinion... As for Belwar, I only mentioned him as a joke.

Fish...and...barrel
Go to Top of Page

Jargan
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  02:48:17  Show Profile  Visit Jargan's Homepage Send Jargan a Private Message
Two words 'bring Jaraxle back'..........oh wait, that is three.........

" It's are wits that make us men."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  06:21:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jargan

Two words 'bring Jaraxle back'..........oh wait, that is three.........

I do believe we will soon be seeing more of Jarlaxle and Artemis.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2005 :  17:57:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
I do believe we will soon be seeing more of Jarlaxle and Artemis.

Yes, do a search of this site Jargan or go to R.A. Salvatore's message boards and you'll see an upcoming novel will feature these two characters.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 20 Mar 2005 17:58:13
Go to Top of Page

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  11:49:32  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message
I was wondering how you pronounce svirfneblin (the Deep Gnome) It slows down my reading when that word comes up in Exile

Thanks for your time.

Tip of the Month: don't drink the dirty water. You know what i'm talking about if you know what i mean.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  17:47:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by LordAnki

I was wondering how you pronounce svirfneblin (the Deep Gnome) It slows down my reading when that word comes up in Exile

Thanks for your time.

Not to be flip, but I pronounce it exactly as it's spelled.

Go to Top of Page

pocnib
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  22:51:53  Show Profile  Visit pocnib's Homepage Send pocnib a Private Message
I tend to pronounce it with two extra soft es, kinda se-viref-neblin
it really just depends on what you are comfortable with, just dont let it slow you down
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  23:54:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I do have to admit, when I first saw the word (I think it was in MC3), it gave me fits trying to figure out how to say it.

Go to Top of Page

Lokahn Mandrake
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  23:37:03  Show Profile  Visit Lokahn Mandrake's Homepage Send Lokahn Mandrake a Private Message
I think I say (SZverrf - NEB - LINN). But hey, that's just me. I agree, use whatever pronunciation is easiest for you and seems more natural.

Cheers,

Lokahn Mandrake

Modified 3.5DM

Does anybody else get post count envy when they look just a little bit south of The Sage's Avatar? <psst..."Don't stare Kuje, it's unseemly." ;)>
Go to Top of Page

LordAnki
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2005 :  18:43:29  Show Profile  Visit LordAnki's Homepage Send LordAnki a Private Message
Well met,
I was wondering if you had written or if you knew of where I could find a full version of the song of Mithril Hall that is on the first page in Streams of Silver. Thank you.

Tip of the Month: don't drink the dirty water. You know what i'm talking about if you know what i mean.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  12:22:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
For R.A. Salvatore fans, Elaine Cunningham's blog had a recent entry that might interest some of you. The excerpt is posted below:

quote:

Friday, June 24, 2005
New insights from old friends

I usually talk to Bob Salvatore at least once or twice a month, and always come away from conversations with something to think about. Last week he'd just returned from BEA, and had some observations about the publishing industry in general and fantasy in particular. Apparently fantasy publishers were almost a no-show at this convention, the biggest book convention in the U.S. Very few big-name authors were there. He stopped by to chat with one well-known fantasy writer, expecting to find a crowd milling about, but found the author sitting in the booth alone. Not sure what this means, but it's rather disconcerting.

He also had some interesting observations about the importance of "fronting a line." Publishers sometimes decide whether or not to send an author on tour based on their observations of how that author reacts with and is perceived by fans. Some people might write well, but lack the presence or "gravitas" to enhance--or at least, not actively detract from--the reader's perception of the written work.

This got me thinking about what makes a good "front man." First, a few things that DON'T work: some writers and game designers take enthusiasm for their work to extremes, others are arrogant assholes, some have dubious social skills, others can't stop shooting off their mouths. I've met examples of all these. I've also encountered aspiring writers whose online persona suggests they're a PR disaster waiting to happen. I know people who have all but written off some hopefuls on the basis of their online persona and the way they interact with other readers and writers.

What DOES work? Bob mentioned Dragonlance as a world that benefited from its creators, and noted that he considers Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman role models. They interact with readers extremely well, and Tracy is one of the best con guests you could hope to find. His "Killer Breakfast" has been a GenCon highlight for years. Bob observed that the Forgotten Realms was presented as a team: Ed Greenwood as creator and Jeff Grubb as developer, founding novelists (Doug Niles, R.A. Salvatore, and the husband/wife team Jeff Grubb & Kate Novak) and game designers. I'd have to agree with this assessment, but Ed and Bob are both extremely good front men, both in front of a crowds and in making one-on-one connections.

Few people can duplicate Ed's personality and spur of the moment creativity, or Bob's unique combination of blue-collar sensibilities, chess master intelligence, and that indefinable alpha male thing. So, what about the rest of us?

I don't think you have to be gorgeous and witty and incredibly charismatic to be an effective promoter of your books. Nora Roberts comes across as warm and approachable, a regular gal. Anne Rice projects an otherworldly, enigmatic quality at signings that, in context, works for me. Jane Yolen is an accomplished storyteller. Tracey Hickman elicits smiles at GenCon by hawking his books with, "Free books here! Get one free with the purchase of each high quality book jacket at only twenty-four ninety-five!"

There are many indefinables at work here, but there are also things a writer can do to help present his or her work in a positive fashion. Obviously, it's pretty tough to sell a bad story, and the writing comes first. But promotion and presentation are things writers need to think about.

More about this in months to come.

Go to Top of Page

pocnib
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  05:09:47  Show Profile  Visit pocnib's Homepage Send pocnib a Private Message
Has the release date been set for Salvatore's next book? Or has anything been said about another Drizzt book?(One with Drizzt as the main character)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  11:26:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Has the release date been set for Salvatore's next book?

October 25th.

quote:

Or has anything been said about another Drizzt book?(One with Drizzt as the main character)

To my knowledge, nothing has been mentioned. You might wish to check Mr. Salvatore's web site to know for certain.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000