Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 67

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2004 :  08:28:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Oh, I like that naval campaign idea. It's sudden and wide-spread, but not an RSE like the Threat From the Sea. It would have very har-reaching implications as well that could get just about any PC in on it -- the first coming to mind is being hired to find out what exactly is going on that's disrupting trade routes. (Especially if the pirates are crafty, and do their best to make certain that it looks like just storms or something; wouldn't last long, but perhaps long enough for an "investigative" adventure to turn into a "law-enforcement" adventure, before becoming a "beat-the-heck-out-of-anything-with-horns-on-its-head" adventure. )

If it's a good-aligned party, you could bring the effects of that campaign up by having them defend a lone minotaur (like a minotaur bouncer ) from a mob of people who decide he's just "one of those bloody pirates." This could even be included as a clue to the nature of the pirates.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2004 :  09:02:27  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
I'd be interested in the university question as well. I've a character who actually got kicked out of that institution before he could graduate (not knowing much about it, I set the "graduation" level to be at third level). The reason for that was actually on exagerated charges -- he's a gifted wizard, but he's got an unusual familiar (a tressym, which is before the rules say he could) that didn't like people who didn't like his "person" and made no bones about it; an always-problematic habit of asking questions and finding out if other ways than those taught would work; and the unfortunate existance of one professor who hated his guts for being a half-blooded moon elf mongrel (the professor was a gold elf supremacist).

Basically, it was all an excuse for having a bookish, no-real-world-experience wizard thrust into the larger world of adventuring.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

mauricio
Acolyte

Brazil
15 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2004 :  11:01:44  Show Profile  Visit mauricio's Homepage Send mauricio a Private Message
Interesting, Bookwyrm... my latest character has a similar concept behind him. A bookish, young wizard with no real world experience who already regrets his choice of setting off on a journey to the distant land of Cormyr to study the War Wizards. He just came out of the university as well. That's why I wanted the info, mostly to use as background - and maybe as a source of information to the DM if I decide to go back to Silverymoon and the cosy libraries in there.

"We can learn from the past, but those days are gone. We can hope for the future, but there might not be one."
- Dream Theater, "A Change of Seasons".
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2004 :  13:10:03  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message
for "magic" colleges, there´s an 2e accessory out there:
"College of Wizardry"
TSR 9549

http://www.rpgunited.com/product/default/tsr9549.html

[edit]
...hmpf, should be more careful with the "post new replay"- buton...

thank you hooded lady for the glimpse into ed´s "gate- policy"! it seems close to the way i handle it. perhaps one difference is that i don´t restrict gates in general to highlevel campaigns, as my players are constantly reminded that they are not the only big fishes "out there" (and that some fishes are way larger... ). they are still the central characters of the story, but others enjoy cameo appearances from time to time.
example: at the moment one of our wizards shelters a mage that seems to be hunted by someone and lost large parts of his memory. as reward for using the pc´s library, house and time, the stranger gave him a quite useful (and expensive) magic spellbook (robust like steel, no(?) limit of spells that can be scribed in...). i wonder how many clues the pc needs until he suspects whom he harbours... one of the more desparate manshoon clones, of course.

and i´m happy to see that i seem to think along the same lines as ed concerning weakening planar borders- but i guess i stop rambling now before i clutter this scroll even more!

tauster

[/edit]

Edited by - tauster on 25 Oct 2004 13:28:51
Go to Top of Page

The Wanderer
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2004 :  14:24:43  Show Profile  Visit The Wanderer's Homepage Send The Wanderer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

It would have very har-reaching implications ...

ROFL.... Was that on purpose, Bookwyrm? Seems you have pirates in the head

The Wanderer
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2004 :  15:18:16  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
mauricio, I’ll send your Silverymoon request to Ed, but as he’s run into the NDA wall here before when asked about the Gem of the North, I suspect a lot of what he’d like to tell you will have to be omitted.
tauster, Ed doesn’t restrict gates to high-level play either. My Knights character was second level at first involuntary gate encounter, and the Realms is full of them; they’re a staple of adventurers’ colourful tavern tales, believe me. I meant that as a game designer, Ed considered that plane-hopping battles for control of gate networks (against various mysterious ‘got there first’ power groups) was an ideal focus for campaign play when PCs reached high levels. I know he expressed this on several occasions to TSR, and if I recall correctly, mentioned it in that classic DRAGON 37 article, too. The “Old Grey Box” Realms set has a gate linking the Halls of the Beast-Tamers with Undermountain, and Ed has many such unassuming, ‘forgotten’ gates awaiting the unwary, all over the Realms. However, like Capn Charlie, he didn’t want them to become magitech ‘all modern conveniences’ elements. We Knights became one of the dangers of gate-hopping when the Zhents uncovered a few of them that would have made their Moonsea – Waterdeep run swift and easy . . . and we rapidly discovered that there were far more sinister and powerful forces trying to stop the Zhents than just one adventuring band out of Shadowdale.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Taelohn
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2004 :  18:35:46  Show Profile  Visit Taelohn's Homepage Send Taelohn a Private Message
Might it be possible to list some such gates, and their locations/destinations?

Who else besides the Zhents tends to control many of them? Halaster, Larloch, perhaps the Thayans?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2004 :  21:13:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer

quote:

It would have very har-reaching implications ...

ROFL.... Was that on purpose, Bookwyrm? Seems you have pirates in the head

Aarrr, ye bilge rat! Now ye makin' light o' me typin' skills. Thar's too much for a lubber like yeself t' try. Mark me words, ye're in fer a world o' hurt should we two e'er cross our blades . . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  01:52:32  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, all. I bring the latest words from Ed of the Greenwood:

Hi, kuje31. Diseases, now:
As for how I handle them, well, ’tis like this: I rarely foist diseases onto Player Characters unless they do something very dangerous -- drink tainted water, get parasites from food or contact with their open wounds where the parasites are carrying diseases, fight hand-to-hand (grappling) with monsters carrying diseases, and so on. I think it’s just unfair and not all that exciting in terms of the entertaining adventure experience (consider this phantom near-immunity to be a side benefit of PCs being “exceptional” individuals).
Most diseases CAN be readily purged with magic (i.e. they’re not immune), and casting spells to combat diseases provides most priesthoods with their bread-and-butter daily income. What I don’t allow is spell-caused diseases to easily or swiftly spread beyond the spell effect (otherwise, all Faerun would have been laid waste long ago, and there’d now be no realms and almost no creatures left to write about).
To paraphrase some of what I’ve said earlier in this thread and to combine it with Faraer’s lore-help and my notes:
Most civilized people in the Realms know that disease transferral works "sorta like this for shaking fever, like that for blacktongue," and so on. They disagree on treatments (aside from rest, care, bathing and purgatives, careful feeding of observed specifics), except for remembering what worked for them and their friends. The reasons for these disagreements are the various churches, most of whom do their level best to keep influence and control (and a continuing flow of coins for healings) by spreading misinformation (at the lower ranks, this is usually done unwittingly; the village priest knows no better, and is merely repeating what a superior has told him) as to precisely how this or that disease is best treated. As with real-world doctors, differing views on illnesses and their treatments often lead to heated professional disagreements.
“Bad hygiene” in the Realms means wash hair every four days or so and before special occasions, bathe “smelly areas” of one’s body every night if possible, scented oil plus sand-scrub when bathing impossible—not reeking, filthy bodies, okay? “Unwashed peasants” is not the Realms norm.
Known Afflictions:
Fevers: blacklung fever, blacktongue, marsh fever, shaking fever
Diseases: darkrot, sallar (typhus), whitewasting (leprosy)
Plagues: featherlung, Spotted Plague, the Shaking Plague (Scardale)
Magical diseases: lycanthropy, mummy rot (flesh rot), green rot/scaly death (Talona)
heartstop (heart attack)
‘winterchill fever’ (pneumonia)
Also, we see examples in published Realmslore, but so far haven’t gained Realms names for: various wasting and rotting diseases, cankers, and the mental illnesses of paranoia, kleptomania, nymphomania, pyromania, and delusions (hallucinations).

As for Talona, she’s worshipped for appeasement by most folk in the Realms (i.e. “My Jhardath’s going on a journey; by this prayer and offering, dread Talona, keep him from your embrace!”), although there are non-fighting types (the stereotype being the aged crone) who pray to Talona to bring diseases down on their foes (“Let sores burst in his mouth until he cannot swallow fast enough and his tongue become stuck, let shaking fever make him unable to walk or ride or hold things, let marsh fever make him spew up all he tries to eat or drink, and sweat out all the rest until his innards and all dwindle, let . . .” and so on, in like manner).
So there you have it.

I’ll get to your greatnephew request, I promise! Must run now; am writing a humorous scene in a charity tale with great glee . . .

So saith Ed. Who must be finishing the last Pentacon charity short story (well, actually, they’ve apparently all grown into LONG stories) now -- almost in time for THIS year’s Pentacon!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  02:01:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
I’ll get to your greatnephew request, I promise! Must run now; am writing a humorous scene in a charity tale with great glee . . .

So saith Ed. Who must be finishing the last Pentacon charity short story (well, actually, they’ve apparently all grown into LONG stories) now -- almost in time for THIS year’s Pentacon!
love to all,
THO

Thanks Ed and again thanks to THO for being the go between, between us and Ed!

And I wait patiently for info on El's great nephew :) I also had a question or two, that I did post many months ago, about the Feast of the Moon but that reply may have been lost in the later requests. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 26 Oct 2004 02:03:29
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  14:54:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
To kuje31 and all scribes patiently (and not-so-patiently) awaiting replies from the Great Sage, fear not: I’m not going to let Ed forget or ignore any queries you’ve put to him (that other scribes haven’t helpfully answered on this thread). We’re way back at Page 31 (that’s where the oldest unanswered questions start), but please remember you’re dealing with the world’s busiest writer.
Believe me, most of us couldn’t even keep up with Ed’s daily e-mail, let alone WRITE anything. And it’s harvest time out where he lives, and some farmers need pitch-in help, and Ed’s not one of those neighbours who ignores those needs. As he put it once: “I feed folks’ dreams, but these guys feed folks’ tummies, and starving dreamers don’t last long -- so they must come first.”
Sometimes Ed can answer queries quickly and easily, and does so (so recent questions get almost immediate replies), and sometimes he can’t answer due to NDAs. However, I can e-mail him and phone him . . . not to mention occasional surprise visits. (I sometimes slip into his bed and wait in the dark. Then, when he comes striding up to get another armload of books from his study, I can ask throatily from out of the darkness, “Aren’t you FORGETTING something?” Not that he jumps when I do this, anymore. I do it all for you, fellow scribes.)
So patience, patience. After all, Ed’s much easier to get hold of than, say, Elminster.
THO
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  15:07:01  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:

To kuje31 and all scribes patiently (and not-so-patiently) awaiting replies from the Great Sage, fear not: I’m not going to let Ed forget or ignore any queries you’ve put to him (that other scribes haven’t helpfully answered on this thread). We’re way back at Page 31 (that’s where the oldest unanswered questions start), but please remember you’re dealing with the world’s busiest writer.
Believe me, most of us couldn’t even keep up with Ed’s daily e-mail, let alone WRITE anything. And it’s harvest time out where he lives, and some farmers need pitch-in help, and Ed’s not one of those neighbours who ignores those needs. As he put it once: “I feed folks’ dreams, but these guys feed folks’ tummies, and starving dreamers don’t last long -- so they must come first.”
Sometimes Ed can answer queries quickly and easily, and does so (so recent questions get almost immediate replies), and sometimes he can’t answer due to NDAs. However, I can e-mail him and phone him . . . not to mention occasional surprise visits. (I sometimes slip into his bed and wait in the dark. Then, when he comes striding up to get another armload of books from his study, I can ask throatily from out of the darkness, “Aren’t you FORGETTING something?” Not that he jumps when I do this, anymore. I do it all for you, fellow scribes.)
So patience, patience. After all, Ed’s much easier to get hold of than, say, Elminster.
THO

Well met, Hooded One

Oh worry ye not, for i'm sure my fellow scribes have plenty studies of Realmslore to be keeping them occupied

Just ensure ye don't jump out in the dead of night and scare the Old Sage too much.... we can't afford to do without him for too long... say, a tenday at the very most

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  15:25:49  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Now I have Summoned to Destiny, and I like the folded covers (with flaps like a dust jacket's) that French publishers use. Tanya Huff's introduction is yet another defence of fantasy. (I like Clark Ashton Smith's, and Clive Barker's in Everville: "‘I had this guy come up to me,’ Ted said, ‘fancy shoes, designer hair-cut, he says: fantasy is so passé. I said: what fantasy? He looks at me like I farted. He says: these works of yours. I said: this isn’t fantasy. This is my life.’" But really, in the context of art, which is made of imagination, it's the realists who need to justify themselves.)

This is the non-Realms secondary-world fantasy short fiction by Ed that I'm aware of.
"Princesses Don't Kneel" (Troll #1)
"The Sword of Dreams" (Tales From Tethedril)
"The Dragonjaw Door" (2001 World Fantasy Convention Souvenir CD-ROM)
"The Night of Three Strangers" (fastforwardgames.com)
"The Fallen Star" (Children of the Rune)
"Stormsong" (Summoned to Destiny)
Any more?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  19:25:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, Faraer. There’s lots more non-Realms Ed stuff. Just off the top of my head (this list is FAR from exhaustive), Ed’s done three Castlemorn short stories; “A Slip Of The Knife” in the Kenzer sourcebook he did, Geanavue; three charity fantasy short stories that will only ever be published if their recipients wish; a collectible chapbook Band of Four story, “Where Only Madmen Hide” and several not yet published tales that are contracted but not yet announced (so I won’t announce them here yet, either).
Then there’s what’s on my bookshelf. Again, lots of entries are missing from here, but this is a ‘starter list.’

“Writhe, Damn You” (modern urban Lovecraftian horror) in NORTHERN HORROR (Canadian Fiction Anthology series) (Quarry Press 2000 trade 1-88052-266-7)
“The Shadow of a Sword” (Arthurian fantasy) in THE DOOM OF CAMELOT (Green Knight Publishing 2000 trade 1-928999-09-3)
“The Witch of the Dawn” (teen horror) in BE AFRAID! Tales of Horror (Tundra Books 2000 trade 0-88776-496-7)
“One Last, Little Revenge” (zombie horror) in THE BOOK OF ALL FLESH (Eden Studios 2001 trade 1-891153-87-0)
“All One Under The Stars” (space opera) in THE BAKKA ANTHOLOGY (Bakka Bookstores Limited 2002 trade 0-9731508-3-1)
“No Stars To Steer By” (space opera) in OCEANS OF SPACE (DAW 2002 mass market 0-7564-0063-5)
“O Silent Knight of Cards” (teen horror) in BE VERY AFRAID! More Tales of Horror (Tundra Books 2002 trade 0-88776-595-5)
“The Man In The Wall” (superhero) in PATH OF THE JUST (Guardians of Order 2003 trade 1-894525-82-5)
“The Secret In The Cellar” (zombie horror) in THE BOOK OF FINAL FLESH (Eden Studios 2003 trade 1-891153-78-1)

(The Bakka one, a collectible, has the same sort of bookflaps that SUMMONED TO DESTINY does. Google “BakkaPhoenix” on the Net to find the store’s website.)
Happy reading!
love,
THO

P.S. Quick Realms relevance (to elude the wrath of Alaundo): Ed has done at least two FR collectible chapbooks: "One Comes, Unheralded, To Zirta" and "A Dance In Storm's Garden." I can say no more about them right now, so please don't ask.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 26 Oct 2004 19:34:15
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  20:41:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

P.S. Quick Realms relevance (to elude the wrath of Alaundo): Ed has done at least two FR collectible chapbooks: "One Comes, Unheralded, To Zirta" and "A Dance In Storm's Garden." I can say no more about them right now, so please don't ask.

Can you at least say, O Lovely Lady of the Hood, whether these two chapbooks were published in the past, or are something to look forward to?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  21:56:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello, Wooly dear, Lord Keeper Of My Leash. (purrr)

“One Comes, Unheralded, To Zirta” was published as a chapbook in 2000, as a giveaway at GenCon that year (that was in the days of only one annual GenCon, in Milwaukee). It’s a reprint (with intro by Jeff Grubb) of Ed’s 1987 (very minor) revision of his original Realms story from 1967 or so. This story was available on the WotC website as a free download for some years.

“A Dance In Storm’s Garden” was a VERY limited-run chapbook published in 2003, as a special story for a fan. It’s an original Realms short-short tale, and for now, at least, must remain a hard-to-get collectible.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  22:13:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
A postscript to the above:
Every copy of THE BAKKA ANTHOLOGY was signed by all of the contributors, I believe, and several of Ed’s tales have won Honorable Mentions in the annual YEARS BEST FANTASY & HORROR anthologies edited by Ellen Datlow & Teri Windling:
“The Witch of the Dawn” in the 14th Annual anthology (covers 2000)
“One Last, Little Revenge” in the 15th Annual anthology (covers 2001)
and:
“O Silent Knight of Cards” in the 16th Annual anthology (covers 2002)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2004 :  23:23:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Hello, Wooly dear, Lord Keeper Of My Leash. (purrr)

“One Comes, Unheralded, To Zirta” was published as a chapbook in 2000, as a giveaway at GenCon that year (that was in the days of only one annual GenCon, in Milwaukee). It’s a reprint (with intro by Jeff Grubb) of Ed’s 1987 (very minor) revision of his original Realms story from 1967 or so. This story was available on the WotC website as a free download for some years.

“A Dance In Storm’s Garden” was a VERY limited-run chapbook published in 2003, as a special story for a fan. It’s an original Realms short-short tale, and for now, at least, must remain a hard-to-get collectible.
love to all,
THO

Thank you for that info, O leashed and lovely Lady.

Now, how to properly reward you...

Go to Top of Page

The Blind Ranger
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  05:18:14  Show Profile  Visit The Blind Ranger's Homepage Send The Blind Ranger a Private Message
I'm curious if Ed can provide any information on the music of the Realms, in particular if symphonies are at all seen or heard playing (in Waterdeep perhaps?) Also, if a sort of classical music does exist, how would it sound, for instance, would it sound like Mozart, or some other such famous composer's work? I have a player who is curious about this, and wishes to make it a part of his character. Many thanks!

-The Blind Ranger

I see what I need when my sight is not enough.
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  05:48:47  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message
Hail & Well Met Hooded One,

I come in supplication with a couple of curious questions for Mr Greenwood.
Firstly: are there or have there ever been any "good" Liches in the Realms?
Secondly: How would Eilistraee & her cult feel/react to a male drow necromancer who converted to the faith but still wished to become a Lich?
I understand that Eilistraee has necromancy within her spheres of magic but Lichdom is a very extreme step to take and as a DM, I'd view it as not a "good" act.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Your (occasionally ) humble Paladin of Torm,
Talwyn

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  06:08:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

are there or have there ever been any "good" Liches in the Realms?

If you're using just the Monster Manual, then there's no such thing as a good lich. If, however, you have Monsters of Faerun, you have that option. The typical good lich in the Realms is an archlich. If the base creature is elven, though, then it's a baelnorn.

If, on the other hand, you're looking for actual names, then I'll leave it for Mr. Greenwood to answer. I can't remember names, and I'm positive that I haven't seen them all anyway. (I do know there's an archlich somewhere by the Dales and Myth Drannor, and there are rumors of baelnorns still protecting areas of that elven ruin.)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  06:39:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

are there or have there ever been any "good" Liches in the Realms?

If you're using just the Monster Manual, then there's no such thing as a good lich. If, however, you have Monsters of Faerun, you have that option. The typical good lich in the Realms is an archlich. If the base creature is elven, though, then it's a baelnorn.

If, on the other hand, you're looking for actual names, then I'll leave it for Mr. Greenwood to answer. I can't remember names, and I'm positive that I haven't seen them all anyway. (I do know there's an archlich somewhere by the Dales and Myth Drannor, and there are rumors of baelnorns still protecting areas of that elven ruin.)

It's not just rumor -- there was at least one baelnorn in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy.

Ed has written of at least three archliches that I can think of, and two were in the Realms: Malithra Undra Shalrin Rallyhorn, who in life was a noblewoman of Cormyr (in the short story "Moonrise over Myth Drannor"); Lady Alathene Moonstar, proprietress of The Blushing Mermaid in Waterdeep, also a friend to that city's Lords and the Tel'Teukiira (Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, and a mention in Cloak & Dagger); and Sharangar Szeltune (she's the non-Realms-specific one; she was in Lost Ships, a Spelljammer supplement, which was written by Ed).

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  09:20:24  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's not just rumor -- there was at least one baelnorn in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy.

Ed has written of at least three archliches that I can think of, and two were in the Realms: Malithra Undra Shalrin Rallyhorn, who in life was a noblewoman of Cormyr (in the short story "Moonrise over Myth Drannor"); Lady Alathene Moonstar, proprietress of The Blushing Mermaid in Waterdeep, also a friend to that city's Lords and the Tel'Teukiira (Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, and a mention in Cloak & Dagger); and Sharangar Szeltune (she's the non-Realms-specific one; she was in Lost Ships, a Spelljammer supplement, which was written by Ed).

I'm not 100% sure, but wasn't there an archlich friend of Elminsters in Shadows of Doom also? I can't remember her name and don't have the novel with me at the moment to confirm.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  09:36:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
quote:

And MoF says that there are several. I just wanted to say rumors. Sounds more mysterious, and also (as Mr. Greenwood has pointed out) more flexible for the Dungeon Master.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  12:33:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

Ed has written of at least three archliches that I can think of, and two were in the Realms: Malithra Undra Shalrin Rallyhorn, who in life was a noblewoman of Cormyr (in the short story "Moonrise over Myth Drannor");

Refresh my memory Wooly, where do I find this short story?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  14:13:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Refresh my memory Wooly, where do I find this short story?

-- George Krashos

From this link, you can apparently find it in a computer game.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  15:25:42  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
George, Ed's story was in the 1993 IBM (4 HD) diskette first release (by SSI) of the EYE OF THE BEHOLDER III ASSAULT ON MYTH DRANNOR, but not in the later Interplay "Archives Silver Edition" Forgotten Realms Archives Volume 1 compilation DOS CD-ROM.
Specifically, it occupies about the first third (26 pages) of the paperback game "Rule Book" (of course ), part number 511591.
Hope you can find it!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  15:40:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

George, Ed's story was in the 1993 IBM (4 HD) diskette first release (by SSI) of the EYE OF THE BEHOLDER III ASSAULT ON MYTH DRANNOR, but not in the later Interplay "Archives Silver Edition" Forgotten Realms Archives Volume 1 compilation DOS CD-ROM.
Specifically, it occupies about the first third (26 pages) of the paperback game "Rule Book" (of course ), part number 511591.
Hope you can find it!
love,
THO

Yup. I don't have the game and have never played it, but thru an odd chain of "hey, let me borrow this from you" requests, the book came to my hands and wound up residing there.

Beautiful Lady, do you think there's any chance we could get a web-based copy of "A Dance In Storm’s Garden" for this site? Ed has many fans here, and I know we'd like to read that tale... Thanks to the goodness of some of the scribes here, we've tracked down "One Comes, Unheralded, To Zirta", so it'd be great to have the other tale to accompany it.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  15:46:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ahem, Wooly, remember I said I couldn’t say any more re. the chapbooks? So all I can reply to your question is, I’m afraid: no.
Sorry.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2004 :  16:41:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Ahem, Wooly, remember I said I couldn’t say any more re. the chapbooks? So all I can reply to your question is, I’m afraid: no.
Sorry.
love,
THO

D'oh! Well, it was worth a try.

I wonder if this means it's soon to be re-published...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000