Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

Alparon
Seeker

Turkey
67 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  01:21:51  Show Profile  Visit Alparon's Homepage Send Alparon a Private Message
mmmmmmmm.................
Crucible didn't show up in Turkey
is it worth waiting for?

I am Cyric, the One and the All, God of Murder and Intrigue, Patron of Deception and Chaos, Prince of Lies, the Dark Sun, rightful Lord of the Dead, Cyric-on-a-stick, and known to some as "the Mad God." I welcome you to The Land of the Dead...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  02:22:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alparon

mmmmmmmm.................
Crucible didn't show up in Turkey
is it worth waiting for?

Crucible is indeed a good read -- it's one of my fave Realms novels.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Dec 2004 02:22:58
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  03:50:27  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
FINALLY picked up the Empires and Maztica trilogies and read them (I love Half-Price Books!) Great reads, but not exactly the best Realms novels. But they ain't exactly set in the Realms, are they? Hmmm...

In any event, I'd still recommend them. The different flavors can give some great alternatives to Medieval role-play.

Also got part 3 of War o' the Spider Queen. Even better. While I would NEVER knock the Drizzt's books, they didn't give alot of info on day-to-day drow life. These are great!

Can't wait for Waterdeep!
Or the second part of the Year of Rogue Dragons.
Or Last Mythal.
Or etc, etc, etc...

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  04:32:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

FINALLY picked up the Empires and Maztica trilogies and read them (I love Half-Price Books!) Great reads, but not exactly the best Realms novels. But they ain't exactly set in the Realms, are they? Hmmm...

In any event, I'd still recommend them. The different flavors can give some great alternatives to Medieval role-play.

I've never read the Maztica trilogy, so I can't comment on it (I have, in fact, avoided it like the plague). As for Empires being set in the Realms... Well, Kara-Tur and the Hordelands aren't part of Faerûn, but they are officially part of the Realms proper. And the last book, Crusade, does happen in Faerûn.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  13:53:52  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
Having recently finished the Return of the Archwizards trilogy and Elfshadow, I found myself a little sick of elves, so I have been putting off the rest of Songs and Swords and The Last Mythal for a while now. Well, during a break from my studies last night, I began reading The Last Mythal. Let me put it this way, I'll have a lot of work to do tonight, since I never started studying again. So far, this is a great read. Even ages-old elven problems, (i.e. human friends getting old) are handled so well as to be new again. I can't wait to finish this one.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  15:22:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

Having recently finished the Return of the Archwizards trilogy and Elfshadow, I found myself a little sick of elves, so I have been putting off the rest of Songs and Swords and The Last Mythal for a while now. Well, during a break from my studies last night, I began reading The Last Mythal. Let me put it this way, I'll have a lot of work to do tonight, since I never started studying again. So far, this is a great read. Even ages-old elven problems, (i.e. human friends getting old) are handled so well as to be new again. I can't wait to finish this one.

Be sure to share your thoughts in the thread devoted to the novel. I agree with you, that novel was a great reading experience.
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  18:12:06  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Ahem

Mayhaps this discussion of music not of Faerun should continue through email\private messages, Valondil

Thank ye.

Eeek. Sorry, Alaundo. Got a bit carried away with my heavy metal talk.

Won't happen again.

And sorry to you, Mr. Kemp. Didn't mean to press it or anything

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  21:55:22  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message
Gonna finish The Rage tonight and I am very impressed with the book, bring on book 2. Think I will read The Two Swords next, or maybe one of the Realms of.. books. Which one would anyone recommend?

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  04:34:32  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
I have almost every book, at this point I'm just missing Dragonwall (The Empires #2) and the Twilight Giants trilogy, but that'll change when Twilight Giants gets reprinted.

As far as reading, I've read just about all the books of consequence and most of the popular authors as well. I haven't started on Sembia yet though, I always find something else to watch.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  14:36:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
I'm just finishing up reading The Rage again in anticipation of receiving Book II in the series later this week.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2004 :  16:05:46  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong

Gonna finish The Rage tonight and I am very impressed with the book, bring on book 2. Think I will read The Two Swords next, or maybe one of the Realms of.. books. Which one would anyone recommend?

I suggest Realms of Dragons book, there are plenty of good short stories in there, especially 'Standard Delving Procedure'

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2004 :  07:52:26  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message
Just finished The Two Swords- nice ending and I like how the book ties in with The Demon Stone game. Started Twilight Falling last night and already on page 128, very good so far.

Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  00:40:11  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message
Have now finished the 2 Cale books- Mr Kemp you are a swine for the cliffhanger in Twilight. It's a good job that I had the 2nd or you would have heard my screams from the USA. Now I am near the end of The Summoning, and I am enjoying it.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  02:14:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
Finished The Rite yesterday. I've started reading a non-FR series again as I think it's a good couple of months or longer until a new FR novel comes out.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  02:36:38  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message
Picked up Extinction, The Rite, Mistress of the Night, and The Ruby Guardian today. I'll probably start with The Rite and randomly decide what to follow it with.

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  03:00:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Picked up Extinction, The Rite, Mistress of the Night, and The Ruby Guardian today. I'll probably start with The Rite and randomly decide what to follow it with.

All good books. Be sure to share your thoughts on each in threads devoted to them.
Go to Top of Page

Schala
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  04:27:21  Show Profile  Visit Schala's Homepage Send Schala a Private Message
I just recently finished reading The Two Swords, which was pretty good. I was surprised that I liked it so much. I had been getting seriously tired of Drizzt, but that book was actually good. Much better than The Lone Drow. I also finished Mistress of the Night. Pretty good. Can't wait for the other Priest books. Wonder if they'll do a Cyric book? Or do the two Cyric books now count? Oh well.

Devoted Follower of Cyric, the One and All.

~Death to all who oppose Cyric. Bow down before his supreme power, and yield to him the blood of those that do not believe in his supremacy. Fear and obey those in authority, but slay those that are weak, of good persuasion, or false prophets. Bring death to those that oppose Cyric's church or make peace, order, and laws, for only Cyric is the true authority.~
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  09:12:32  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message
Just finished The Rage and Dawn of Night--both spectacular novels. Now I'm caught in a crossfire trying to figure out which I should read out of these: The Alabaster Staff, The Yellow Silk, and Mistress of the Night. Can someone help me out and make the decision for me?

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  11:59:06  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message
I have only read Mistress Of The night, but it was a good read. People do not seem to like The rogues novels very much but as I have not got to them, I can't comment.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  12:51:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valondil the Ranger

Just finished The Rage and Dawn of Night--both spectacular novels. Now I'm caught in a crossfire trying to figure out which I should read out of these: The Alabaster Staff, The Yellow Silk, and Mistress of the Night. Can someone help me out and make the decision for me?

The Yellow Silk, without a doubt! I much prefered this novel to the others, thats not to say I didn't enjoy the others in the series, but it just stood out a lot more for me.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  14:10:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

I've only read two of the above three you mentioned. But, of those two, Mistress of the Night stands out, by far, as the better read.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  14:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

I've only read two of the above three you mentioned. But, of those two, Mistress of the Night stands out, by far, as the better read.

So I assume the other one to be The Alabaster Staff then?

I was a little disappointed with Mistress of the Night, I think I had hyped it up way too much over many months though

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2004 :  14:54:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
So I assume the other one to be The Alabaster Staff then?

Yep, that's the other novel I read.

quote:

I was a little disappointed with Mistress of the Night, I think I had hyped it up way too much over many months though

I enjoyed it more than any of the other Rogue/Priest novels.
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  05:53:56  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message
Lord Rad won. It just so happens that right after I posted, I decided to pick up The Yellow Silk. One of my bipolar-reading spells, I guess. Anyway, I'm only about thirty pages in but I'm really enjoying it. Tycho (is it pronounced Teecho or with a long I?) is a great character and Li sure is mysterious, though I found it kind of stereotypical (for lack of better word) to name him Li because he's an oriental from Shou Lung.

Anyway, I'll come back and tell you if I liked it or not, but I'm sure that it'll be good.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  06:50:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Lord Rad won.

This time, but the Sirius shall strike back.

Enjoy the book.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  10:21:50  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Lord Rad won.

Enjoy the book.

I recommend you read this novel too Sirius. I know you haven't been too impressed with the other novels in the series (I was also surprised how highly you rated Mistress too), but I still say that out of all the Rogues and Priests books to date, The Yellow Silk is my favorite.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  11:16:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Lord Rad won.

Enjoy the book.

Yeah, but the Sirius will lose at the end of Return of the Rad.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2004 :  16:14:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
I recommend you read this novel too Sirius. I know you haven't been too impressed with the other novels in the series (I was also surprised how highly you rated Mistress too), but I still say that out of all the Rogues and Priests books to date, The Yellow Silk is my favorite.

It was the holiday spirit that led me to rate MoN high. Isn't there a line in one of those things people sing this time of year...Peace on earth...good will to FR novels? Or something like that.

I'll consider what you have said. You usually have good taste.

Of course if having the rank of Master Blaster Reader meant anything I'd have a review copy in my hands right now.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2004 :  00:09:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I went to the bookstore this eve hoping to find The Rite, but they didn't have it yet.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Dec 2004 00:12:11
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2004 :  05:50:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I went to the bookstore this eve hoping to find The Rite, but they didn't have it yet.

Which one?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000