Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How up to date are you with reading FR novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 84

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2004 :  23:52:27  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
I heard rumors that the reprint versions of the Avatar trilogy (the ones with the fancy new art) could contain new elements or slightly modified events... did anyone else hear about such a thing?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2004 :  06:39:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valdar Oakensong

I am currently rereading the Avatar Trilogy because the last time I read it the 2 sequels were not out. The Quintet is soooo good isn't it Wooly, far better than the Drizzt novels

I don't know that I'd say that... But there was certainly less angst!

quote:

Was it the latest Feist book Sirius? I've been meaning to get it for a while. Nuff said about Feist you know how crotchety Big Al can get

Ooh, another Feist fan!

I'll bet that man could write a good Realms novels, given the chance... (See how I dodged Big Al's wrath? And it so amuses me to see someone else call him that! )

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Sep 2004 17:03:35
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2004 :  10:34:07  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ooh, another Feist fan!

I'll bet that man could write a could Realms novels, given the chance... (See how I dodged Big Al's wrath? And it so amuses me to see someone else call him that! )

Well met

::mutter, grumble::

I heard that, Wooly Rupert 'ware ye, for if I see any non-Realms tome on thy desk, then woe be tide

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2004 :  15:59:28  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Was it the latest Feist book Sirius? I've been meaning to get it for a while. Nuff said about Feist you know how crotchety Big Al can get

Yes, I recently finished Exile's Return. If anyone wishes to discuss that novel more or has questions about it, simply email me. Now if I can only get Amazon to speed up the shipment of Realms of the Dragons.
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2004 :  21:44:50  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message
I love the Drizzt novels Wooly, but I found the main characters in the Quintet to be more developed. The story was good too, Cadderly got his gal and there was less doom and gloom than usual.
None of this is meant as critisism of course, and as a last point WE WANT MORE CADDERLY BOB

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2004 :  08:33:52  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message
Finished Lady of Poison. It was alright. Bruce R. Cordell has a great vocabulary and his narrative is quite good, but his story seemed a little cliche and he really didn't capture the whole sense of disgust and whatnot when he described all the tainted things and stuff. I personally think Lisa Smedman would do a much better job at this novel considering the greatness of Venom's Taste and how some parts completely grossed me out. Just what I wanted.

Anyway, like Elaine Cunningham, I am also against modern terms being used in the fantasy world of FR. I think it completely disrespects the setting and Ed himself when there is a modern phrase used in a book. Such terms as "Ok" (which didn't come around till the eighteen hundreds) and "Way to go" and "Up and at 'em" just don't fit in there. And that's mostly why I disliked it.

But other than that, it was a nice little read if you want something simple.

Oh, also, I didn't really think there was much character development up until the end, when it started getting better. The climax was great and it seemed like Mr Cordell just sorta crammed all of his character development into the last forty pages to stop people from quitting. LOL.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ballistic
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2004 :  20:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Ballistic's Homepage Send Ballistic a Private Message
Here is my list.

all of R.A. Salvetore's FR books
Starlight and Shadows trilogy
The first 2 Evris Cale books
The Return of the Archwizards trilogy
The Avatar series
All of the Realms Of... books
Best of the realms
The Alabaster Staff
The first 3 War of the Spider Queen books
The Rage: year of the Rogue Dragons book 1
I am currently reading The black bouquet

Not bad considering i've only been into FR books sence 2002.

A friend will call you in jail.
A good friend will visit you in jail.
A really good friend will sit beside you in jail and say "Dude, that was Awesome!"
Go to Top of Page

honorandglory1709
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2004 :  05:11:54  Show Profile  Visit honorandglory1709's Homepage Send honorandglory1709 a Private Message
I own all of the novels.I started when they first came out and have bought them as soon as they hit the shelves.I also own all of the Greyhawk ,Birthright ,SpellJammer ,Ravenloft ,Mystara ,Dark Sun ,And Dragonlance.Plus Most of the Choose your own adventures books.

At my signal unleash hell
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2004 :  21:23:58  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by honorandglory1709

I own all of the novels.I started when they first came out and have bought them as soon as they hit the shelves.I also own all of the Greyhawk ,Birthright ,SpellJammer ,Ravenloft ,Mystara ,Dark Sun ,And Dragonlance.Plus Most of the Choose your own adventures books.

Havn't we been a busy boy. I am still working my way through Lady Of Poison, not bad, not brilliant.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  15:44:02  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
Well i'm currently reading Mistress of the Night and last week finished reading Prophet of Moonshae (an excellent read!), prior to that, I read one of the best novels i've read in a long time - The Ruby Guardian.

Prior to that, I read Finder's Bane, Forsaken House, and Lady of Poison. I'm finding that some of the older novels I have neglected to read until just lately have been pretty amazing (Finder's Bane and Prophet of Moonshae to name two).

Once I have finished Mistress, I intend to continue with the Druidhome Trilogy and also the last novel from Shadows of the Avatar.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  15:51:34  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
I'm still busy scavenging for oop books, and hustling to get them read. I am currently reading Elfsong, Azure Bonds, and Halls of Stormweather. I have trouble finding time to read with the demands of school, work, gaming, and a new baby, but I do what I can. Right now I'm obsessed with Erevis Cale, so I'm sure I'll be adding his trilogy to the my list of "in progress" books.
I recently finished Venom's Taste, and I thought it was great. Also the Rogue series book with Tazi Uskevren was really cool, Zsas Tam is one of my favorite baddies.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  22:47:46  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message
Just started Realms of Dragons.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2004 :  02:49:13  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

Just started Realms of Dragons.

Just started Mistress of the Night last night.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2004 :  15:40:30  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

Right now I'm obsessed with Erevis Cale, so I'm sure I'll be adding his trilogy to the my list of "in progress" books.

Xysma, I'm pleased to read that bit about Cale but have a more important question: Did you find your sig (i.e., "with my good eye closed") in the lyrics of a Soundgarden tune? If so, I can only say: Excellent!

Me, I get inspired by Chris Cornell's lyrics every time I hear them, whether he's solo, with Temple of the Dog, with Soundgarden, or (now) with Audioslave.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2004 :  21:31:00  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
I'm impressed, a great writer with great taste in music! Absolutely right about Soundgarden. In my humble opinion Chris Cornell has the best voice in rock. His lyrics are excellent, I am a fan of all of his projects. I'm really into Audioslave, it's not quite Soundgarden, but I do like it better than Rage Against the Machine. Badmotorfinger is one of the all time great rock albums.

By the way, Cale is an incredible character. I've only read the short story from Halls of Stormweather, and he is already at the top of my list of favorites.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2004 :  22:29:51  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message
Just finished Mistress Of The Night and it was an excellent read. Now on The Rage. Paul and Xysma my dog is named Murphy Cornell Jones in honour of the great man, and when we saw him on his solo tour my wife was so excited she threw up everywhere and we spent most of the gig by the toilet. Rock and Roll.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  05:39:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:

Just finished Mistress Of The Night and it was an excellent read.

Agreed, I'm about 2/3rds of the way through that novel now and it's been a pleasure filled experience.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  13:34:56  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
Valdar, great dog name. My dog got handed down to me when my brother moved, so I didn't get to name her. Now I'm stuck with a dog named Autumn. (Just kidding, her name's not that bad.)My wife has never vomited over Chris Cornell, but she does get this weird look on her face when he's on tv, and she gets realy embarrassed when I call her on it.
Is Mistress of the Night the new volume of the priests series? I'll have to pick that up this weekend, I didn't realize it was out. Anyway, enjoy The Rage, I loved it. Very cool characters, and a good story, I can't wait for the Rite.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  15:12:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma
Is Mistress of the Night the new volume of the priests series?

Yes, it's the second book in the series. The final two books for that series come out starting around June of next year.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  15:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Just finished Mistress Of The Night and it was an excellent read.

Agreed, I'm about 2/3rds of the way through that novel now and it's been a pleasure filled experience.

I'm at about the same point, Mr Black. What are your views so far? Any particular favorite areas\chapters?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  17:18:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
I'm at about the same point, Mr Black. What are your views so far? Any particular favorite areas\chapters?

Let me finish before posting my full thoughts. But, so far, pleasantly surprised at my reaction to this novel.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  14:17:55  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage
quote:

Paul and Xysma my dog is named Murphy Cornell Jones in honour of the great man, and when we saw him on his solo tour my wife was so excited she threw up everywhere and we spent most of the gig by the toilet. Rock and Roll.

Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  17:47:11  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp
Xysma, I'm pleased to read that bit about Cale but have a more important question: Did you find your sig (i.e., "with my good eye closed") in the lyrics of a Soundgarden tune? If so, I can only say: Excellent!

Me, I get inspired by Chris Cornell's lyrics every time I hear them, whether he's solo, with Temple of the Dog, with Soundgarden, or (now) with Audioslave.

Paul

Mr. Kemp likes Audioslave?! Awesome! I've yet to meet an author that likes "heavier" music. Any others that you like? Metallica? Possibly some punk or alternative?

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  17:51:17  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message
Whoops! Forgot to post how I'm doing on my FR novels

Well, I read Starless Night by RAS on Saturday and read Realms of Shadow on Tuesday. Now I'm working on Daughter of the Drow by Elaine Cunningham. Pretty good so far; she's definately captured the lifestyle of the drow and has got the "lyrical writing style" (Quote from RAS) appropriate for the drow.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  22:59:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valondil the Ranger

Whoops! Forgot to post how I'm doing on my FR novels

Well, I read Starless Night by RAS on Saturday and read Realms of Shadow on Tuesday. Now I'm working on Daughter of the Drow by Elaine Cunningham. Pretty good so far; she's definately captured the lifestyle of the drow and has got the "lyrical writing style" (Quote from RAS) appropriate for the drow.

I love Elaine's stuff, and I like the way she handled the drow. She did an excellent job of "humanizing" them while still showing just how evil and ruthless they can be.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  01:12:18  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage
quote:

[quote][ Mr. Kemp likes Audioslave?! Awesome! I've yet to meet an author that likes "heavier" music.

Valondil,

I suppose that depends on how you define heavy. Definitely enjoy Metallica ("For Whom the Bell Tolls" is still a favorite), Alice in Chains, Godsmack, and bands of that nature. I don't like (to choose one example) Slayer and that kind of driving metal.

As far as other stuff, I'm a big classical music fan, with Schubert and Sibellius being my favorites. I also dig sonic/alternative/electronica stuff like Portishead, Lisa Gerrard (with and without Dead Can Dance), etc.

In terms of more mainstream stuff, I love Barenakedladies, Jeff Buckley, Dave Matthews, Sting, and Peter Gabriel. In fact, Dave Matthew's "Grave Digger" inspired a scene in Midnight's Mask.

All in all, it depends on my mood.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 11 Dec 2004 01:14:55
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  03:36:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I love Elaine's stuff, and I like the way she handled the drow. She did an excellent job of "humanizing" them while still showing just how evil and ruthless they can be.

Ah yes, what's the line that stands out in my memory? Oh yes:

"There's more than one way to twist a knife."
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2004 :  18:57:17  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

[quote][ Mr. Kemp likes Audioslave?! Awesome! I've yet to meet an author that likes "heavier" music.

Valondil,

I suppose that depends on how you define heavy. Definitely enjoy Metallica ("For Whom the Bell Tolls" is still a favorite), Alice in Chains, Godsmack, and bands of that nature. I don't like (to choose one example) Slayer and that kind of driving metal.

As far as other stuff, I'm a big classical music fan, with Schubert and Sibellius being my favorites. I also dig sonic/alternative/electronica stuff like Portishead, Lisa Gerrard (with and without Dead Can Dance), etc.

In terms of more mainstream stuff, I love Barenakedladies, Jeff Buckley, Dave Matthews, Sting, and Peter Gabriel. In fact, Dave Matthew's "Grave Digger" inspired a scene in Midnight's Mask.

All in all, it depends on my mood.

Awesome! I LOVE Godsmack! Their lyrics totally rock and their heavy feel is the best there can be.

Sorry if I'm pressing a bit, but have you heard of a heavy industrial type band called KMFDM? I like to listen to a lot of their stuff when I write and I was just wondering if you've heard of them...?

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2004 :  23:27:22  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Ahem

Mayhaps this discussion of music not of Faerun should continue through email\private messages, Valondil

Thank ye.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  00:44:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Ahem

Mayhaps this discussion of music not of Faerun should continue through email\private messages, Valondil

Thank ye.

Yeah... Besides, Big Al's aged ears can't take modern music, you know that!

*ducks and runs*

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 84 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000