Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 The Shining South Sourcebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  20:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The WotC third trimester catalog is apparently in hobby stores by now, so I no longer have to be secretive about the fact that I wrote The Shining South sourcebook, for release in October 2004. The topic originally came up in a thread in the novels forum, but I decided to bump it over here, where it's more pertinent.

Rad originally asked:
quote:
Thomas, how much coverage is there on Veldorn? Ive always been quite intrigued by it but very little information exists in previous FR products.

The quick answer is, about 3 pages. But it's part of a larger chapter that deals with the entire region known as the Shining Lands, which also includes Estagund, Var the Golden, and Durpar, and those three by necessity got more detailed examinations. Veldorn, quite simply, is one of those places that really needs 192 pages all on its own to cover everything that needs to be covered, and there just wasn't room to do more than a cursory examination of what's going on there.

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  21:33:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thomas Reid:

This area's received coverage in past products, albeit some time ago. How much in the way of changes can we expect? Were you directed to implement any changes to the region and/or developments? Any constraints on what you could or could not do?

Thanks in advance for any reply.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2004 :  22:16:28  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Thomas

Are you the sole author of this sourcebook? If not, which areas did you work on?

Do you know if it is to include a poster map?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  02:31:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few questions for Thomas

Does the Shinning South have any adventures in it ie like the Silver Marches has?

Did you introduce Al Quinn Expates into any of the southern nations like they did with Kara Tara in Thesk?

Do you touch on Ulgarth? (it seems to have been cut off the map)

Given your involvement in the WOSQ saga and you writing up Dambrath where tempted to stir things up in that nation? (Say like a certain Drow city converting to Loviator)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  13:59:15  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

This area's received coverage in past products, albeit some time ago. How much in the way of changes can we expect? Were you directed to implement any changes to the region and/or developments? Any constraints on what you could or could not do?

Well, aside from the obvious differences (2E to 3.5E), I tried very hard to smooth over some hiccups that existed (Ed Greenwood and I came up with a solution for one particularly odd descrepancy that existed between two older sources--I bet some of you might be able to guess what I'm talking about).

I wasn't directed to make any specfic changes, but I was encouraged to focus on the cool stuff. The area has only been detailed once before, in Tom Prusa's FR16--The Shining South accessory, so I pulled what I liked from that, and developed some new material to go with it.

No one gave me any specficic restraints, but that's a lot of area to cover in 192 pages (plus all the mechanics-driven chapters, of course), so nothing got as much detail as I would have and could done.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  14:01:37  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Are you the sole author of this sourcebook? If not, which areas did you work on?

I wrote the whole thing. I received a lot of references from Eric Boyd and others, and I included as much of that material as I could.

quote:
Do you know if it is to include a poster map?

No, the maps in SS are just like the ones in Unapproachable East, full-color maps in the pages themselves.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2004 :  14:05:34  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Does the Shinning South have any adventures in it ie like the Silver Marches has?

There are three very small mini-adventures, similar to SM.

quote:
Did you introduce Al Quinn Expates into any of the southern nations like they did with Kara Tara in Thesk?

No.

quote:
Do you touch on Ulgarth? (it seems to have been cut off the map)

Yep, very briefly.

quote:
Given your involvement in the WOSQ saga and you writing up Dambrath where tempted to stir things up in that nation? (Say like a certain Drow city converting to Loviator)

Actually, no, because I had to make it gel with information in the Underdark sourcebook. That one was further along in development, so I ran with their stuff.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Alrunes Sinethal
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  01:32:36  Show Profile  Visit Alrunes Sinethal's Homepage Send Alrunes Sinethal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope Luiren gets alot of attention. The halflings are like the forgotten race of tha major D&D races. The humans, the elves and the dwarves all have their kingdoms and wars and such. The short folk naturally got the short end :) Let's see some hobbitons, baggins, and stings. Some nice illustrated holes, some delicious food, some ridiculous customs, some hilarity. Basically anything that will make a simple rural live kewl. LIke who cares about gold pieces, spells and magic items

.........reborned from the ashes
belovéd of the dead.............
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  01:57:52  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thomas,

I hope this works out well. Vaelan or Vaelen? And how much did you work from Ed's notes -- the FR series not by him varied a fair bit on that score, with no clear credit given.

The difficulty with Luiren is that although Ed established a lot about what it's like in GAZ8 The Five Shires (though it takes a little interpretation to the Realms), the 3E FRCS took in the changes D&D made to halflings, and the two aren't hugely compatible. We can hope that Thomas will do a good synthesis, but the business of rules remains to represent milieux, not change them.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  06:15:36  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Vaelan or Vaelen?

That's one of those things that Ed and I had to tweak a bit. I'll hold off on commenting on it and let everyone find out when the book goes on sale. But I did address it.

quote:
And how much did you work from Ed's notes -- the FR series not by him varied a fair bit on that score, with no clear credit given.

I spoke with Ed on a few different points, but I didn't just sit down and write out his notes.

As far as Luiren goes, I tried to capture as much of the feel of what was described in FR16 while still maintaining continuity with the FRCS. I touched on their lifestyle while aiming my major effort toward what would be interesting from a campaign standpoint--in essence, the potential for conflict.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com

Edited by - Thomas M. Reid on 11 Apr 2004 06:16:42
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  03:48:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you get the feeling that the guys at WOTC like Jigsaw puzzles?

This year they'll have finished off the southern edge of the map, from Chult in the west (Serpent Kingdoms) to Var the goldern in the Eastern (Shining south)

Anyone want to bet that next year we see Old Empires (Which will link UE with SS) and Cold lands (which will link up with UE in the north and finish the eastern edge of the map)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  04:47:17  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thomas

Did you introduce any new races in SS?

Is there much infomation on Zakhara in SS? (there seems to be a fair bit of trade and interaction going on between the nations of the Shining South and Zakhara, at least according to the origional SS)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2004 :  05:02:04  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Did you introduce any new races in SS?

Not as such. There are four human cultures detailed, and two races that have been seen before that are given the full-blown treatment.

quote:
Is there much infomation on Zakhara in SS? (there seems to be a fair bit of trade and interaction going on between the nations of the Shining South and Zakhara, at least according to the origional SS)

No. I comment more than once that trade is heavy on the Great Sea (and I mention some of the goods that come from elsewhere), but I don't detail anything about Zakhara itself.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

mother1219
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  16:47:29  Show Profile  Visit mother1219's Homepage Send mother1219 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really, really hope the Adama concept got some nice attention. Pretty please? :)

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men...Godzilla.

Go, Go Godzilla

See my silly blog: http://www.motherlove.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2004 :  18:25:34  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mother1219

I really, really hope the Adama concept got some nice attention. Pretty please? :)

Not sure what you are looking for specifically, but I covered it in detail. There's even a prestige class associated with it.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  03:32:40  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it possible for us to know (roughly of course) what type of monstrous creatures will be detailed in this sourcebook?.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  04:15:24  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Is it possible for us to know (roughly of course) what type of monstrous creatures will be detailed in this sourcebook?.

I think I'd better not reveal too much before the book comes out. I'm not really sure what Wizards will frown on, so I'm going to err on the side of conservatism.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  05:46:51  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay then, thanks anyway .

Can you at least tell us then, whether there are any "new" creatures?. And of course, by "new" I simply mean creatures that have never been featured in a Realms product before.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  06:54:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thomas

The old SS featured a couple of kits for followers of Halfling deities does the 3ed one have something similar?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  15:54:47  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about the realms of Dambrath and Halruaa?. Do they receive any detailing in the sourcebook?.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  16:02:48  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What about the realms of Dambrath and Halruaa?. Do they receive any detailing in the sourcebook?.

Dambrath was certainly mentioned as being included when Thomas replied in another post. Id assume that Halruaa (and Luiren) are two as theyre the two main nations of the Shining South.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  16:07:30  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rad .

Although, it's not Dambrath that I'm really concerned about. I want to read about the 3e realm of Halruaa. I've been waiting for this, since I first read about Halruaa in the 2e Shining South sourcebook last year.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  17:42:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope they fixed the discrepency between the article Elaine wrote up about Dambrath and what was printed in the old Shining South and Faiths & Avatars in Loviatar's entry.

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/crinti.htm

And we discussed the error here:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=180162&highlight=dambrath

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

mother1219
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  22:18:46  Show Profile  Visit mother1219's Homepage Send mother1219 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:Originally posted by mother1219

quote:

Not sure what you are looking for specifically, but I covered it in detail. There's even a prestige class associated with it.

Thomas

Ooooo...*drool* PrC associated with the Adama. Sweeeeet. I was really just talking about the Adama as a broad concept/philosophy. Sounds like I won't be disappointed.

I really enjoy the SS, and Estagund in particular. Some of the social values and social class set-up stuff there is ripe for the writing/playing.

Thank you very much.

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men...Godzilla.

Go, Go Godzilla

See my silly blog: http://www.motherlove.blogspot.com/

Edited by - mother1219 on 15 Apr 2004 22:20:36
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  22:51:24  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can you at least tell us then, whether there are any "new" creatures?. And of course, by "new" I simply mean creatures that have never been featured in a Realms product before.

Some of the creatures I included have never been in a supplement with game statistics (any edition of the game), but there is nothing that was created from scratch--they either came out of a novel, an old FR comic, or other stuff of that nature.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  23:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The old SS featured a couple of kits for followers of Halfling deities does the 3ed one have something similar?

Not per se, but I did do some other things specifically devoted to the halflings of Luiren.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  23:04:58  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The regions that are included in the sourcebook are:

The Shaar
The Great Rift
The Eastern Shaar
Veldorn
Halruaa
Dambrath
Luiren
Estagund
Var The Golden
Durpar

Plus some minor information on bordering areas.

Thomas

*edited for very confusing typo.

www.thomasmreid.com

Edited by - Thomas M. Reid on 17 Apr 2004 04:03:00
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  23:08:11  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

I hope they fixed the discrepency between the article Elaine wrote up about Dambrath and what was printed in the old Shining South and Faiths & Avatars in Loviatar's entry.

Yep, I have tried to clear up as many discrepancies as I could.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com

Edited by - Thomas M. Reid on 15 Apr 2004 23:09:55
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2004 :  23:39:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid

quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Yep, I have tried to clear up as many discrepancies as I could.

Thomas

Good good. It'll be nice to have a sourcebook that doesn't create more errors that conflict with the older 1/2/3e material. :) Yes I am jaded, sorry!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  10:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Reid, I've never heard of a place in the Realms called, Car the Golden. Are you sure that's correct?. I thought it was supposed to be Var the Golden . . . .

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2004 :  15:16:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mr. Reid, I've never heard of a place in the Realms called, Car the Golden. Are you sure that's correct?. I thought it was supposed to be Var the Golden . . . .

I'm sure that was a typo on his part. The C and the V are right next to each other on the keyboard, after all....

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000