Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Suggestions accepted
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  15:56:19  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, i'm gonna end soon the Avatar's trilogy, and i summon () the great wisdom of the scribes here to recommend me what book should be next. (These are the first Forgotten Realms books ever read by me, so, i'm a little lost.)

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  16:11:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gion

Ok, i'm gonna end soon the Avatar's trilogy, and i summon () the great wisdom of the scribes here to recommend me what book should be next. (These are the first Forgotten Realms books ever read by me, so, i'm a little lost.)

What type of themes do you like in a novel? Is there a certain area of the Realms that interests you?
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  16:23:08  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, i prefer the magical ones, (specially druidic), or in other cases wathever related with gods, or the Zhentarims.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  16:45:01  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with The Hooded One's posted introductory top ten (I've recommended the same top four in the past, though I haven't read The Yellow Silk). Spellfire above all for reasons already said.

Gods seen directly are mostly confined to the Avatar series (original trilogy plus Prince of Lies and Crucible, of which I found Prince a strong book that didn't taste the way the Realms taste to me) -- the gods thankfully don't walk Faerūn all the time -- though Mystra pops up in e.g. the Elminster series, which will also serve your wish to see magic. Zhents of all kinds are in, for instance, the Shadow of the Avatar and the Shandril books. I don't have a good druidry recommendation.

Edited by - Faraer on 15 Jun 2004 16:45:53
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  17:56:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Indeed, i prefer the magical ones, (specially druidic), or in other cases wathever related with gods, or the Zhentarims.

The Moonshae novels by Douglas Niles are all druid novels. BUT one of them was the first ever printed material, back in 1987, except for articles in Dragon, so you might have a hard time finding them until the new reissues come out.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  17:58:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
The Moonshae novels by Douglas Niles are all druid novels. BUT one of them was the first ever printed material, back in 1987, except for articles in Dragon, so you might have a hard time finding them until the new reissues come out.

Aren't they about to be reprinted?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  18:34:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd say the two follow-up books to the trilogy, Prince of Lies and Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad. That is, unless, you're already including those when you speak of the Avatar trilogy.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  18:35:21  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you like reading about elven gods, try Elaine Cunningham's Evermeet: Island of Elves.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  18:54:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Aren't they about to be reprinted?

Sirius? Are you getting as senile as Wooly?

I quote myself, "so you might have a hard time finding them until the new reissues come out."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  19:32:39  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who might be wondering about the reiusse, check the following pages for covers and release dates:

Darkwalker on Moonshae: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/176080000
Black Wizards: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/176170000
Darkwell: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/176200000
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  19:34:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I quote myself, "so you might have a hard time finding them until the new reissues come out."

Getting, it's obvious, I am past that point already. Why do you think I give WR such a hard time?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  19:36:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

For those who might be wondering about the reiusse, check the following pages for covers and release dates:

Thanks for the links. I wonder if they are reissuing these with the possibility of a future novel or gaming product focusing on the area.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  19:50:43  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks for the links. I wonder if they are reissuing these with the possibility of a future novel or gaming product focusing on the area.
More than likely, it's a reissue for the sake of reissue. Much of the older D&D-world fiction that has sold well has seen reprint recently, or will soon. This has been done nearly to death with Dragonlance, as well.

Fifteen years after its conclusion, the first trilogy of Realms fiction--which has constantly been unavailable, but in demand--is finally seeing a rerelease, and I don't see that as a bad thing at all.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  20:18:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
More than likely, it's a reissue for the sake of reissue. Much of the older D&D-world fiction that has sold well has seen reprint recently, or will soon. This has been done nearly to death with Dragonlance, as well.

Good point as the Drizzt books have started to be reissued.

quote:

Fifteen years after its conclusion, the first trilogy of Realms fiction--which has constantly been unavailable, but in demand--is finally seeing a rerelease, and I don't see that as a bad thing at all.

Neither did I as it's clear that new novels are still coming out at a good rate. I still think I'll pass on the Niles trilogy as I've just never been that interested in the area or the characters.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  22:51:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Getting, it's obvious, I am past that point already. Why do you think I give WR such a hard time?

I'll have you know that the last few questions I answered, including the ones on Mintiper Moonsilver and Ibrandul, were entirely off the top of my head. Not remembering the order of books read about 14 years ago is not being senile!!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Jun 2004 00:39:15
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  04:55:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I'll have you know that the last few questions I answered, including the ones on Mintiper Moonsilver and Ibrandul, were entirely off the top of my head. Not remembering the order of books read about 14 years ago is not being senile!!

What last few questions? What are you talking about?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  05:46:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

What last few questions? What are you talking about?

*hangs head* I give up!

Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  19:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Druids, Gods, and Zhents...good luck.
The Best I could Think of:
1. The Erevis Cale Books (Shawdo Witness and The Erevis Cale Trilogy) By: Paul S. Kemp--Former Zhent involved and deals with Chosen (ex: Elminister is a Chosen of the Goddess of Magic) and specifically what that entails as far as a Chosen's relationship with a deity. Warning the concluding volume will not be released until Nov. 2005.
2. The Cleric Quintet (Starting with Canticle) By: R.A. Salvatore--Two druids feature predominately in the work and it also deals with the concept of being a Chosen of a specific deity--in this case Deneir(sp).

Also "The City of Ravens" by Richard Baker is an excellent introduction to the realms that I think is often overlooked.

The more knowledgeable scribes of Candlekeep may (or may not) be correct on Douglas Niles' works, but I have never read them so forgive my ignorance.

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000