Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Siege of Darkness
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  16:50:29  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have started reading this novel and I am at the part when magic ceases to function. it keeps mentioning the Time of Troubles so does this mean that the year in the book is during the Time of Troubles I am horribly confused.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  17:04:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

I have started reading this novel and I am at the part when magic ceases to function. it keeps mentioning the Time of Troubles so does this mean that the year in the book is during the Time of Troubles I am horribly confused.

Yes, if I recall correctly, that is the year the novel is set in, 1358 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2004 :  06:26:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That book was the first time I ever figured out what the Time of Troubles was. Everything else mentioned it, but since it was so well-known to gamers, it wasn't ever really discussed as "history" in the books, save for the actual trilogy and this book.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Fredegar The White
Acolyte

Greece
5 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2004 :  06:55:44  Show Profile  Visit Fredegar The White's Homepage Send Fredegar The White a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep! The novel takes place during 1358DR and finishes in 1359DR!

Dominus Noster Fredegar Perpetus Augustus
Sexpertius Faerunius Kujeus 31us
Writerious Astamatitous Wallace Fantasticus
Are you the church police? There is another dead bishop on the landing!!

A league away my death is found
By locals who tend this land
they lay me down in shallow earth
a single lotus placed in my hands

The Blue Lotus

My Dying Bride

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2004 :  07:41:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fredegar The White? Weren't you also on the WotC forums?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2004 :  15:16:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

For future reference, here's a WOTC page that details the dates for various FR novels.
Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  22:26:27  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The time of troubles is the Avatar series right?

" The truth comes out only in bold and underlined"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  22:38:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dantrag

The time of troubles is the Avatar series right?

The events of the Time of Troubles are the main focus of the Avatar series, but other books do happen while the Time of Troubles is going on.

Go to Top of Page

Dantrag
Learned Scribe

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  22:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Dantrag's Homepage Send Dantrag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really never understood the series... aren't all the gods banished. I mean there are more than there were in that room at the very first Shadowdale before they got banished.Like Lloth, or Deneir.

" The truth comes out only in bold and underlined"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  00:45:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really never understood the series... aren't all the gods banished. I mean there are more than there were in that room at the very first Shadowdale before they got banished.Like Lloth, or Deneir.

Indeed, all of the gods were banished to the Prime Material Plane. However, the series only focuses on the major deities of the Faerūnian pantheon.

Info on the other deities can be found in a variety of locales. A good amount of info is located on the Wizards page, at the link I'll provide below. If you've not read the series and click on this link, beware of the spoilers at the bottom of the page!

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/deitytrouble

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  04:08:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really never understood the series...

I always looked upon it as, "We need an RSE to promote our new edition." Thus, TSR talks to Ao and the rest is Faerun history.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  06:19:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The entire point of the Avatar Crisis was to change the Realms from 1st edition to 2nd edition. Making a major event allowed them to explain all the changes.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000