Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Opportunity for aspiring writers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  23:41:06  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Wizards of the Coast has published another open call for book proposals. This time they're looking for someone to write an Eberron novel. If you're interested, check out the notice on the WotC site.

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  03:07:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a direct link for those interested.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  05:55:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I now have a reason to look into the setting sooner rather than latter. Or rather, I would if I thought I could actually do it. Unfortunately, I doubt that I could actually concieve of a book in a setting I know little about, write ten pages set somewhere in said book, and send it in in time.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

rumblebelly
Acolyte

Turkey
25 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  06:50:31  Show Profile  Visit rumblebelly's Homepage Send rumblebelly a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yes now that the eberron setting core rule book is out

but remember bookwyrm, this setting has no books! (or so I know) thus you'll have an oportunity (like RAS when he wrote the crystal shard) to create your own fantasy playground and maybe shape the whole setting yourself

this is the end of the world news: sponsored by god
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  15:07:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I won't be entering the open call. I'd like to, but I've simply got to much to do.

I know the Lady Kazandra is currently working on her proposal though. And, before anyone asks... it has nothing to do with warforged...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Fireheart
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  16:14:03  Show Profile Send Fireheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Richard and SiriusBlack,

I may have to think real hard on that.
~Fireheart

I believe in what I see/I believe in what I hear/I believe that what I'm feeling/Changes how the world appears
-Rush "Totem"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  16:20:03  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rumblebelly
but remember bookwyrm, this setting has no books! (or so I know) thus you'll have an oportunity (like RAS when he wrote the crystal shard) to create your own fantasy playground and maybe shape the whole setting yourself

Actually, aren't there already plans for Eberron novels to come out late this year? I could have sworn part of their promotional push mentioned novels.

Well, even so, the author for this proposed novel will be one of the first if not the first to write for the setting.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  16:21:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fireheart

Thanks Richard and SiriusBlack,

I may have to think real hard on that.
~Fireheart

You're welcome. Good luck to any and all who enter. For those who are interested and think it would help, Keith Baker, Eberron's creator, is answering questions on a thread over on ENWorld's message boards.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  17:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Actually, aren't there already plans for Eberron novels to come out late this year? I could have sworn part of their promotional push mentioned novels.

Well, even so, the author for this proposed novel will be one of the first if not the first to write for the setting.

Yes, the novel proposed in the open call is actually the last in a series that introduces Eberron. I believe Keith Baker and Edward Bolme are also writing books in that series.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  17:51:42  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kameron M. Franklin
Yes, the novel proposed in the open call is actually the last in a series that introduces Eberron. I believe Keith Baker and Edward Bolme are also writing books in that series.

Thank you for the confirmation. With your post or the start of my second pot of coffee, my memory clicked and I recall Matt Forbeck (Who has not gotten enough accolades for his wonderful work on Redhurst: Academy of Magic) is also writing a trilogy of novels set in Eberron. His series starts early next year.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 23 Jun 2004 17:53:06
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  03:52:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those with any editing experience, WOTC is also looking for Role Playing Game Editor. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the link.
Go to Top of Page

Windshear
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  07:42:08  Show Profile  Visit Windshear's Homepage Send Windshear a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sigh* I thought about writing a proposal, but I'll be up to my ears in lawyers throughout the latter half of July and most of august I'd guess. I might give it a crack anyway, depending on time constraints.

Work is the scourge of the drinking classes --- Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  03:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I won't be entering the open call. I'd like to, but I've simply got to much to do.

I know the Lady Kazandra is currently working on her proposal though. And, before anyone asks... it has nothing to do with warforged...

That is correct Sage. I'm working on my own submission since receiving the CS tome in the mail the other day. My proposal is based on an Inspired character.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  07:56:45  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is slightly unfortunate that we can't be given a hint as to what will already be covered in the first two books of the series by Keith Baker and Matt Forbeck, since proposals inadvertantly duplicating their efforts will most likely be rejected.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  11:33:24  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That has been discussed to some degree on the WotC Eberron boards, Sarta. Baker and Forbeck have both provided areas of the setting they have considered "off limits" (so to speak) to the open call. However, since the Last War has had such an enormous impact on nearly every level of Khorvarian society it's unlikely that duplicate plots will occur, especially at this early period.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2004 :  21:15:07  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I just spent about an hour going through those boards. So far, from what I've seen NDA's are keeping them from mentioning anything about off-limit areas.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  10:28:00  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's strange . . . I was just reading it yesterday. Although, it is under a peculiar thread title . . .

Go to Top of Page

Erin Tettensor
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  13:08:26  Show Profile  Visit Erin Tettensor's Homepage Send Erin Tettensor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't speak for the contents of the WotC boards, but the open call announcement itself does contain limitations on which geographical areas the submissions staff will consider.

What I would find more useful is some guidance as to what types of character classes and/or races will be showcased in the earlier books. The Maiden of Pain open call was far more detailed in this regard. Perhaps Wizards are too anxious to preserve some element of surprise for the upcoming novels.

Edited by - Erin Tettensor on 28 Jun 2004 13:10:46
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2004 :  14:30:30  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's where I originally must have read about those details then . . .

Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Acolyte

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  12:57:08  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am going to submit my idea but I was wondering a few things. Firstly is it ok to create a name for a town in the Eberron world? And can major characters specified by the creator be used in the submission?

Sarta, where is the link to this discussion?

Oh and another question. If they reject the idea can I use the idea and the names I come up with for other writings of mine?

Thank you. :)

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."

Edited by - Gareth Yaztromo on 12 Jul 2004 13:00:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  13:04:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gareth, due to the NDA, the thread was removed from the WotC boards. If you are looking for further details, I suggest you post this question on the Eberron boards.

Good luck .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gareth Yaztromo
Acolyte

Australia
37 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2004 :  13:43:49  Show Profile  Visit Gareth Yaztromo's Homepage Send Gareth Yaztromo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sage, thanks for the help.

"Gereth Yaztromo is arguably the most famous wizard of Allansia due to his part in a number of the most well known sagas of that region from the third century AC. He is also known as one of the three Star Pupils of the Grand Wizard of Yore.."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000