Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 limbo
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sirkillalotcd
Acolyte

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2004 :  14:47:59  Show Profile  Visit sirkillalotcd's Homepage Send sirkillalotcd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I heard my friend say something about limbo and i would like to know what it is i think it is one of the realms or something but i am not sure.

sir_kill_alot_cd

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2004 :  18:15:47  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Limbo is one of the planes - not part of the Realms.

The Sage will likely be along in a moment to tell you aaaaall about it

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2004 :  20:14:24  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

*Runs for the hills*

A quick run-down: Limbo is the embodiment of Chaos, an Outer Plane and the home of the Slaadi. Officially the 3.x Realms is not connected to it - something I rectify IMC.

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2004 :  06:27:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
However, the main villians in the Cale spin off are from Limbo. :) So I guess one of the authors feels it is a canon plane still. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2004 :  07:39:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That I will, although maybe a day later than some expected...

Anyway, Limbo is an outer plane where pure roiling chaos reigns supreme. It is reality undefined, and reality unrefined. It is the ultimate miasma of elements, matter, and energy. Limbo is believed to have no layers. It's likely that if there were layers, they would not be able to maintain integrity thanks to the ever changing nature of the plane. Think of the plane as a roiling soup of limitless possibilities and everything and nothing can exist.

Limbo is chaos and exuberant creativity, where the terrain responds to mind, and disaster results if concentration is broken. Unmodified chaos is primordial soup, erupting from time to time into pockets of fire (hot, very hot, smoky or not), air (still, windy, hot, cold, temperate), water (boiling, icy, temperate, fresh, salty, still, turbulent), earth (rock, soil, sand), and mixtures of these (anything natural).

Confused yet...?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2004 :  07:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

That I will, although maybe a day later than some expected...

Anyway, Limbo is an outer plane where pure roiling chaos reigns supreme. It is reality undefined, and reality unrefined. It is the ultimate miasma of elements, matter, and energy. Limbo is believed to have no layers. It's likely that if there were layers, they would not be able to maintain integrity thanks to the ever changing nature of the plane. Think of the plane as a roiling soup of limitless possibilities and everything and nothing can exist.

Limbo is chaos and exuberant creativity, where the terrain responds to mind, and disaster results if concentration is broken. Unmodified chaos is primordial soup, erupting from time to time into pockets of fire (hot, very hot, smoky or not), air (still, windy, hot, cold, temperate), water (boiling, icy, temperate, fresh, salty, still, turbulent), earth (rock, soil, sand), and mixtures of these (anything natural).

Confused yet...?

Also, it is the home of the slaadi, githzerai, and some other races I've forgotten but the Sage will remember.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2004 :  07:44:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle
Officially the 3.x Realms is not connected to it - something I rectify IMC.

Ooh, I'd like to hear more about this Sarelle...

It is possible to have Limbo joined to the Material Plane, or as close to joined as a plane of shifting chaos can be... MotP 3e presents an option whereby the outer plane of Limbo is instead shifted to become the edge of reality in a campaign cosmology, existing outside of the planar framework surrounding all - much like the current Astral Plane. In this arrangement, Limbo essentially is the unrefined realm of pure possibility, where all creation is born, and where all creation ends.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2004 :  07:57:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
Also, it is the home of the slaadi, githzerai, and some other races I've forgotten but the Sage will remember.

Ah yes. It should be noted that most any race can make their homes in Limbo. They simply must be able to withstand the mental effects caused by the chaotic and everchanging terrain.

Anyway, some other inhabitants of the plane of Limbo are: obviously the Limbolings. Chaos beasts, primals, and xaotes round out the listing for creatures in Limbo. There are others, but the populations of these creatures never reach the levels of those races already established.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2004 :  08:00:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another interesting Limbo tidbit - The dimensional nature of Limbo should change constantly, and never in its history has it ever been consistent planewide.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2004 :  09:56:37  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like The Sage is on form, as expected on this matter

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2004 :  12:57:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rad...

I'd neglected to mention another important race which inhabits this churning plane of chaos (or rather, the Limbo in my campaign) - one of my homebrew races... the Uncreated. This is a specifically interesting race because they are partially based on the 'anarchic creature' template presented in the MotP 3e. I didn't really like the idea of having just one or two of these creatures running around, so I decide to construct a native planar race around the theme of the template.

Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2004 :  15:23:30  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

However, the main villians in the Cale spin off are from Limbo. :) So I guess one of the authors feels it is a canon plane still. :)

Hmm - thanks for that info, kuje. Good for Paul S! I so didn't buy the home of FR slaadi being The Supreme Throne. Maybe he can sneak some references to the Demonweb Pits ala the Abyss into Ressurrection!

quote:

quote:
Officially the 3.x Realms is not connected to it - something I rectify IMC.

Ooh, I'd like to hear more about this Sarelle...

I may or may not have mentioned it before - I have the 3.x cosmology AND the Great Wheel. The 3.x cosmology is the cosmology that structurally links with Abeir-Toril, and is the home of FR's gods (most of the time), but the Great Wheel is connected to Toril in subtler ways - portals to the various planes dotted throughout Faerūn and beyond (example - Throrgar's connection to Pandemonium in Underdark). Also, I have the 2e divine realms of Realms deities be in two places at once (or one place, accessible from two places - its complicated) - their new area and the old one (example - in for For Duty and Deity Waukeen's Outlands home is described as one quarter of a giant marketplace for four trade deities, so IMC Waukeen's divine Realm would be accessible there, but would lead out onto Brightwater.)

More importantly, I still eagerly await your thoughts on combining the two cosmologies, as mentioned on another thread, Sage.

Edited by - Sarelle on 06 Jul 2004 15:33:29
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2004 :  15:26:07  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyway, some other inhabitants of the plane of Limbo are: obviously the Limbolings. Chaos beasts, primals, and xaotes round out the listing for creatures in Limbo. There are others, but the populations of these creatures never reach the levels of those races already established.

Don't forget the neraph! (Although... this race does confuse me; in the Monster Manual II there is a race that seems to fill an identical role - the chaond.)

Out of curiosity - which tome are Limbolings, primals and xaotes found in?

Edited by - Sarelle on 06 Jul 2004 15:27:42
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2004 :  15:51:09  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

An excellent catch, Kuje! To my knowledge, you are the first to raise this.

For the record, using Limbo was not an oversight by me but a deliberate choice. I'm aware that Limbo, as such, does not touch the current FR cosmology. I stuck with the reference because Vhostym (who is not called "The Sojourner" for nothing) has an encyclopedic knowledge of, and virtually limitless access to, the entirety of the multiverse. For me, that meant he could reach across cosmologies (if you will) and into Limbo.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2004 :  17:25:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hmm - thanks for that info, kuje. Good for Paul S! I so didn't buy the home of FR slaadi being The Supreme Throne. Maybe he can sneak some references to the Demonweb Pits ala the Abyss into Ressurrection!

Maybe, but this I doubt because it's all explained in the 5th Spider Queen novel. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2004 :  17:28:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp
An excellent catch, Kuje! To my knowledge, you are the first to raise this.

For the record, using Limbo was not an oversight by me but a deliberate choice. I'm aware that Limbo, as such, does not touch the current FR cosmology. I stuck with the reference because Vhostym (who is not called "The Sojourner" for nothing) has an encyclopedic knowledge of, and virtually limitless access to, the entirety of the multiverse. For me, that meant he could reach across cosmologies (if you will) and into Limbo.

Paul

AH! See now that I can by and if only we could get such text, like that, in the sourcebooks. :( Pity that we don't, but if we did most of us older fans would not complain so much since we were given a in game reason WHY such and such got changed. :) But thanks, Paul, for the extra info and I guess I am very very anal about my realmslore and have become very jaded, so I tend to keep track of changes that show up in novels and sourcebooks.

Edited by - Kuje on 06 Jul 2004 17:31:09
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  09:04:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
More importantly, I still eagerly await your thoughts on combining the two cosmologies, as mentioned on another thread, Sage.

Forgive me Sarelle, but you'll likely have to refresh this old Sage's memory...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2004 :  09:07:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Don't forget the neraph! (Although... this race does confuse me; in the Monster Manual II there is a race that seems to fill an identical role - the chaond.)

Out of curiosity - which tome are Limbolings, primals and xaotes found in?

Limbolings are not detailed in any tome. They are purely a creation of the bizarre mind of James O'Rance (of DL, PS and several other settings fame)... Primals and Xaotes have likewise never been detailed in any official capacity. They are both online PS community creations.

I'll search my archives for the appropriate URLs.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000