Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Lost Empires of Faerun sourcebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2004 :  19:13:25  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is any information available on what ancient kingdoms are to be detailed within this sourcebook?

I hear some time back that (whilst still existing) Mulhorand and Unther will be covered.

With the recent releases of Lady of Poison and Forsaken House, Im hoping to see some of Narfell over in the east as the ruins there REALLY got me intrigued, as well as all that ancient elven realms of the North etc.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Alaundo on 16 Nov 2004 11:06:21

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2004 :  07:42:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm still hoping that the ancient realms of the Imaskari are going to receive some treatment in this tome. That will likely be loosely combined with the material on Mulhorand.

I've been wishing for more material since the reworking of the Deep Imaskari in the Underdark tome.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2004 :  23:18:01  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm still hoping that the ancient realms of the Imaskari are going to receive some treatment in this tome. That will likely be loosely combined with the material on Mulhorand.

I've been wishing for more material since the reworking of the Deep Imaskari in the Underdark tome.

He, I guess you know my answer to that Sage After one of my players, who are playing a Deep Imaskari requsted some info on them and their lost empire I set out on a hunt, wish there was more though to be found.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  02:42:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed I do.

The mystery behind the Imaskari has always been one of my favorite elements of the ancient Realms. They represent a society and culture that was not wholly lifted from ancient Earth, much like the Egyptian-styled Mulhorand.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2004 :  18:43:20  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Indeed I do.

The mystery behind the Imaskari has always been one of my favorite elements of the ancient Realms. They represent a society and culture that was not wholly lifted from ancient Earth, much like the Egyptian-styled Mulhorand.

I had hoped that the Shoon would be original enough, but in retrospect, they do take on a lot of Roman influences (at least in terms of how they build their capitol city-state). Beyond the imperial structure et al, the Shoon have lots of details that have yet to come to light (nor can I find a whole notebook filled with scribbles from when I wrote LOI and EoSS and Wyrmskull Throne). Mayhaps one of these days I'll get around to writing up something on the Shoon and bouncing it this way or that....

As it is, I'll just wait patiently for Ancient Empires like the rest of us.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  08:56:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Mayhaps one of these days I'll get around to writing up something on the Shoon and bouncing it this way or that....

Now that, is definitely some information that I would like to read.

As it stands however, I once ran an April Fool's Day campaign which was based in the continental European period, just before the "dawn" of the dark ages. I'd completely removed all the "human" Roman imperial elements, and replaced it with the Shoon as they had been detailed up to that time.

I'll dig up my old notebooks and see if I can find some additional notes on this, to post here.

Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2004 :  23:14:35  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering having read the posts it seems ancient empires sets alot on the eastern ones but does anyone know if will it detail any western empires they may not be as old but some could be interesting?

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Sylvos
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2004 :  08:34:53  Show Profile  Visit Sylvos's Homepage Send Sylvos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was actually hoping it will not only detail the previously mentioned empires - read netheril, imasker, pre-crown war elven states but perhaps even the empires of the Sarukh and maybe dragons/giants. A little background into the ancient ancient wars of the creator races I feel would be a nice touch for this sourcebook since it's always hinted at but never fully detailed out.
Go to Top of Page

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2004 :  14:26:28  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it would be very interesting since the creator and giant races were before the rise of the current empires. since they have never really been detailed it would be a very interesting piece to read. I would be interested in the shapechangers.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2004 :  11:09:19  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears as though the product has been renamed! Now entitled "Lost Empires of Faerun"

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/fracc/177380000

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2004 :  14:22:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

It appears as though the product has been renamed! Now entitled "Lost Empires of Faerun"

From the makers of Independence Day, Drizzt and the Lost Empires of Faerun, A Steven Spielberg film.

At least that's what immediately came to mind when I read the title. Still, from what I've heard so far, they can call it whatever they wish. I still think it will be good.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  02:01:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Hmmm... interesting.

I wonder, does the renamed title of this particular tome have any possible connection to the 'Lost Empires' series of FR novels?

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  14:59:07  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I am very much looking forward to this particular tome. Ruins are an area which has held my interest for many, many years. I wonder, Eric, could ye possibly inform us as to which ruins and empires in particular are covered. I believe Lord Rad has mentioned his interest in the ruins of Narfell, I must say that the area which I would like to read about also. That said, I don't believe there is an area of the Realms which doesn't intrigue me and interest me greatly

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 16 Nov 2004 15:00:42
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  21:35:11  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They could have named it A Spelunker's Guide to Faerunian Ruins and it would still be something I'm looking forward to. As long as it combines the old civilizations with the current ruins to tie it in with what is happening in the Realms now.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2004 :  23:42:34  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sincerely hoping that certain aspects of the various lost kingdoms of the Western Heartlands and the Sword Coast North are touched upon in this book. Over time, I know that my impression of the wilds of these areas has changed.

Initially, I viewed these areas as being ones lacking in a true history of nations per se but rather, minor city-states that rose and fell over time. Over the past seven or so years, I've had to revise that opinion to conclude that major kingdoms with armies of hundreds of thousands of men ruled the land. The breakup of these kingdoms left Daggerford, Secomber, and others as the remnants of those civilizations while many other cities, fortresses, and relics of these kingdoms lay waiting for rediscovery.

Literally, it reads like a tragedy to me, where good doesn't triumph and humans (and elves and dwarves) fail in their attempts to civilize the land around them.

Ah well, I'll sit back and hope.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2004 :  08:49:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting musings, Ty. By realms of the Sword Coast/Heartlands, I imagine you mean the "big ones": the Fallen Kingdom and the Kingdom of Man. I'm sure they'll get mentioned ...

As for realms in the Heartlands, have you checked out "Serpent Kingdoms"? It deals with realms like Shavinar, Ebenfar (of Verraketh the Shadowking fame) and a few of the minor holdings that held sway for a few years.

My own thoughts on the Heartlands (Fields of the Dead area) is that no major realm/kingdom has ever controlled this area. Lots of minor, petty kingdoms and attempts to forge a lasting realm, but nothing to compare to the Shoon Empire, Cormyr, the Fallen Kingdom, et. al.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  01:47:09  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George Krashos,

For some odd reason I recall a webpage with a History of the North as compiled by yourself... Am I getting old and senile or is that in fact still to be found somewhere on the internet?

By the way, can I also call you Krash?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2004 :  03:32:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Guilty as charged. Eric Boyd has kindly hosted my revised North Timeline (soon to be revised again after Lost Empires and City of Splendors redux) on his website. Go here:

http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/history.html

And yes, call me "Krash" if you prefer - it was my usual moniker among friends as there were at least 3 and sometimes 5 Georges in the usual social circle!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2004 :  07:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm i wonder if we'll get our first look at Lost Empires of Faerun on sunday, Decembers "Whats coming up" article should come out this weekend..........

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2004 :  08:53:29  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks like it has a lot of crunch as well. Lost Empires of Faerűn contains five new in-depth prestige classes, 16 new feats, and 29 new monsters If I wanted that I could always go down to the local store and buy some serials.

All tough those 29 new monster do look interesting. I consider them as crunchy serials who have been in the bowl of Lost Empires of Faerun (also known as milk) to long and become fluffy and nice.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2004 :  22:58:39  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hymn

Looks like it has a lot of crunch as well. Lost Empires of Faerűn contains five new in-depth prestige classes, 16 new feats, and 29 new monsters If I wanted that I could always go down to the local store and buy some serials.

All tough those 29 new monster do look interesting. I consider them as crunchy serials who have been in the bowl of Lost Empires of Faerun (also known as milk) to long and become fluffy and nice.

The monster section in LEOF is the monster section that got cut from PGTF ie LEOF monster section will be a 3.5 reprint of some of the Monsters from Monsters of Faerun.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2004 :  00:01:07  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
The monster section in LEOF is the monster section that got cut from PGTF ie LEOF monster section will be a 3.5 reprint of some of the Monsters from Monsters of Faerun.

Bha I should have known it was to good to be true.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  06:43:04  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hey Eric

Whats the story behind the Olin Gisir and Cultist of the
Shattered Peak PrCs in LEOF?

Tks in advance

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  07:01:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As PRCs go, they are both interesting - even for a low-rules guy like me. Oh, and they both have something to do with lost empires.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  07:13:29  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

As PRCs go, they are both interesting - even for a low-rules guy like me. Oh, and they both have something to do with lost empires.

-- George Krashos

Well we know that the Glorious Servitor is based on Mulhorond and we can safely bet that the Magelords PrC is tied to that kingdom where Elminster was born. I reckon the Sunmaster PrC is a PrC for Priest of the "Dead" god Amaunator

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  11:15:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-- George Krashos

Such a helpful and informative response, Krash!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  15:19:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I could tell you, but then I'd get killed. We'll all have to wait and see the final product.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2004 :  22:50:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I could tell you, but then I'd get killed. We'll all have to wait and see the final product.

-- George Krashos

But I thought Wizards fired all the thugs when they took over from TSR?...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2004 :  04:45:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's that nasty 'geas' and 'Shaeroon's Scimitar' in combination that keep me silent, not the thugs.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  06:56:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have our first few excerpts for this tome.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 06 Jan 2005 06:57:54
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  11:31:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now if those excerpts aren't making your mouth water, you can't be a true fan of the Realms. I've seen most of what's coming but I'm still as giddy as a schoolboy!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000