Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Lost Empires of Faerun sourcebook
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  14:29:15  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet Mother of All that is Good and Pure! Just that small teaser has me more anxious than ever to get this book. The map is extraordinary, just what I was hoping for in this product. And the timeline excerpts indicate that the authors are going to focus on the demonic ties in Narfell, which is perfect for my current campaign in Damara.

This has been elevated from "Must Have" to "Camping out in front of my FLGS the night before the release date." Will February ever arrive?

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  14:38:22  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, wait I just have to whipe the drool of my desk and keyboard. Looks like I will do the same Ezra now where did we stuff away that tent. The map just looks awesome.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  15:50:12  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Ezra
Just that small teaser has me more anxious than ever to get this book.

Yes, if the rest of the tome is anything like the excerpts, I am going to be one happy consumer.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  16:30:07  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Brother Ezra
Just that small teaser has me more anxious than ever to get this book.

Yes, if the rest of the tome is anything like the excerpts, I am going to be one happy consumer.

Amen to that

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  20:19:05  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'm still as giddy as a schoolboy!

-- George Krashos

I'm happy as a clam!

The mind boggles trying to stat out a Qysar Shoon VII (NE male human demilich EL necromancer 31/archmage 5!!!.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  02:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now if those excerpts aren't making your mouth water, you can't be a true fan of the Realms. I've seen most of what's coming but I'm still as giddy as a schoolboy!

-- George Krashos

SAGE

If you come at him from Perth and I come at him from Sydney we'll have flanking on George and we can split his advance copy of LEOF 50/50

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  02:56:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, am quite looking forward to this book. I'd be drooling, but I obviously have more composure than some of you guys.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  05:15:49  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

Now if those excerpts aren't making your mouth water, you can't be a true fan of the Realms. I've seen most of what's coming but I'm still as giddy as a schoolboy!

-- George Krashos

SAGE

If you come at him from Perth and I come at him from Sydney we'll have flanking on George and we can split his advance copy of LEOF 50/50

Hah hah . . . Not if I get to him first, you won't

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  06:06:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I, too, am quite looking forward to this book. I'd be drooling, but I obviously have more composure than some of you guys.

Which some?
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  06:07:51  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Map!Map!Map!Map!Map!Map!Map!Map!Map!Map!Map!
I'm pretty excited about that map. Ya know, they could print a book of maps, or a portfolio of maps, and I would likely pay $50 US easy for a product like that.
Lost Empires should be good to.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  06:14:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

I'm pretty excited about that map. Ya know, they could print a book of maps, or a portfolio of maps, and I would likely pay $50 US easy for a product like that.

Good maps like full sized ones? Yeah, I most likely would be right there with you.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  08:30:55  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

SAGE

George has the special ability of being immune to flanking. Tis from being too learned of a scholar, he's read all the tricks that can be done.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2005 :  13:44:13  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Speaking of Maps, didja see the preview they posted?

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/TheYearofOathsForsaken2.jpg

Nice.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  00:38:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elf_Friend

Speaking of Maps, didja see the preview they posted?

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/TheYearofOathsForsaken2.jpg

Nice.

It is a nice map, but it would have been nicer if it was bigger.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  01:02:00  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have to say im a little disappointed with the map

I was really hoping that they'd include cities on the map but it looks like where only going to get regions and nations.

I was really hoping that LEOF would show the locations of where all the Netherese cities came down when Netheril fell

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  01:17:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There might be more detail and regional maps in prodct.

However we will need to wait and see what is included to know one way or the other. I also was not impressed by the image asfar as that goes.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  02:45:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have to say im a little disappointed with the map

I was really hoping that they'd include cities on the map but it looks like where only going to get regions and nations.

Hey c'mon - they can't do everything for you. Any FR fan can look through the 17 years or so of FR products and pinpoint all of the cities and settlements and put them on the map themselves. Back in my day ...

quote:

I was really hoping that LEOF would show the locations of where all the Netherese cities came down when Netheril fell

And what would be the fun in that? As a DM I'd then be constrained in terms of where I put my ruined Netherese cities. It's a fine line between detailing everything and detailing most everything.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 08 Jan 2005 02:47:09
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  03:02:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, we know the locale of the three that the new-born Mystra "caught." And we know the locale of two in the Sea of Fallen Stars and one off the coast of Tethyr... I wouldn't mind knowing a few more, but what we already have is a good enough start for me.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  03:07:02  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer the old school of FR books where the Developers told the DM exactly what was going on (The 1ed Grey Boxset)and what the players know.

As for locating where the cities are its near impossiable the old Age of Netheril boxset had maps with where the cities where but obviously that was pre the appearance of Annouch desert and the disappearance of promient Netherese era land marks (Due to the Sharn magic) however added to this I now have to deal with the 3ed Changes to the FR map which makes most of the Netheril era map completely unrecognisable on the 3ed FR map

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  06:07:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, I'm very curious on how big the map is within the product.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  06:41:50  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Yes, I'm very curious on how big the map is within the product.

its a 2 page spread like the one in Underdark

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  14:44:47  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I prefer the old school of FR books where the Developers told the DM exactly what was going on (The 1ed Grey Boxset)and what the players know.

As for locating where the cities are its near impossiable the old Age of Netheril boxset had maps with where the cities where but obviously that was pre the appearance of Annouch desert and the disappearance of promient Netherese era land marks (Due to the Sharn magic) however added to this I now have to deal with the 3ed Changes to the FR map which makes most of the Netheril era map completely unrecognisable on the 3ed FR map

I'll have to go with Wooley and Krash on this one. There is such a thing as too much detail. For example, I'd rather have the freedom of putting a Netheril crash site just about anywhere I want. I think they don't detail these things on purpose so that DM's have the freedom to do it themselves.

As for the maps being in the book as opposed to pull out. I actually prefer it. Maps get lost, torn, bent, crap gets spilled on them. If its in the book its safe. I'll never lose it and its easy to reference. It all comes down to personal preference here.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2005 :  15:14:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
its a 2 page spread like the one in Underdark

A centerfold? How interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  14:19:21  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elf_Friend

I'll have to go with Wooley and Krash on this one. There is such a thing as too much detail. For example, I'd rather have the freedom of putting a Netheril crash site just about anywhere I want. I think they don't detail these things on purpose so that DM's have the freedom to do it themselves.

I'll have to disagree here. For those of us that no longer DM but has an intense love for the setting, it's impossible to have too much detail. After all, A DM can always alter anything he/she desires to suit their campaign. Don't like where WotC placed the Netheril crash sites? Just move them. Those of us without campaigns have no desire to *customize* things for our worlds. Tell us where the crash sites are damn it!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  15:06:07  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Realmslore
Don't like where WotC placed the Netheril crash sites? Just move them.

That would seem to make sense. Of course, by doing that, a fan's campaign, if he/she had one, would no longer be following canon
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  18:03:56  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Brian, I don't think there can be too much Realmslore.

I love to know every detail of canon, but I don't have a problem changing things up to suit my campaign where needed.

Every campaign diverges from canon at some point. Even if you meticulously try to follow canon, if you are running an ongoing campaign, then a novel or sourcebook is likely to be published that will change assumptions about the NPC, or the place or the god you were using, making your campaign suddenly an alternate history.

But that's okay. I like to think that no one is playing in the real Realms--everyone's campaign is one of an infinite number of alternate reality Realms that diverges in some small measure from every other.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  18:49:32  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

I love to know every detail of canon, but I don't have a problem changing things up to suit my campaign where needed.

Every campaign diverges from canon at some point. Even if you meticulously try to follow canon, if you are running an ongoing campaign, then a novel or sourcebook is likely to be published that will change assumptions about the NPC, or the place or the god you were using, making your campaign suddenly an alternate history.

But that's okay. I like to think that no one is playing in the real Realms--everyone's campaign is one of an infinite number of alternate reality Realms that diverges in some small measure from every other.

Aye, being true to canon isn't always the best way to go. My own FR Campaigns (two) has alot more gods than current Canon says.
Then my Drow campaign really goes alway from Canon. Drizzt never left Menzoberranzan, Zak is still alive, House Do'Urden was never destroyed. But otherwise says to Canon. Companions of the Hall do exist and did reclaim Mithral Hall just without Drizzt helping. Matron Baenre is still alive, hasn't attempted to invade Mithral Hall yet.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  19:07:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

As Gray knows, since I've argued with him enough times about this over on the boards that must not be named, this is how I stand. This is also why I WANT WOTC to detail the new planes and stop giving us the silly, "We changed it and now all your old lore is worthless in canon and the planes have always been this way." They have done this with more then just the planes as well and yes some of us have complained about it for years.

I guess Steven, Ed, Eric, and others spoiled us in 2e and we demand that from WOTC still. :)

Or maybe I'm just a vocal loudmouth that needs to shut up and stop being a "canon nazi" who demands that WOTC explains thier changes with an in game explaination.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 11 Jan 2005 19:10:49
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  19:30:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Or maybe I'm just a vocal loudmouth that needs to shut up and stop being a "canon nazi" who demands that WOTC explains thier changes with an in game explaination.

Well it would be interesting to understand how infravission turned into darkvission and MR turned into SR, such a project would appear to be rather major undertaking.

Yes it is useful to have a smooth transition, however the conversion was massive to the entire system and many defy explaination. The redefining of planes yes appears to be a bug not well explained. Lolth it appears might being moving out of the abyse for example.

I do not expect that everything that was canon to be imediately replaced with corrected canon. The amount of material (espcially if including novels) that require revission to be 3.5 complient is massive.

Now if WotC though that they could sell the revisions on a large enough scale, they most certainly would do so. That would result in over something like 1,500 USD per gamer if not more.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2005 :  21:12:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco
My own FR Campaigns (two) has alot more gods than current Canon says.

How many more gods and what roles do they fill?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000