Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Candlekeep Newsletter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2004 :  16:48:03  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Delete Topic
Well met

Going from a number of suggestions and interest mentioned within another scroll, I have hereby opened up a new scroll to discuss such.

Please put thy suggestions of articles and ideas to include in the newsletter. It would be preferable to try for a monthly publication, therefore announcements and details of new FR novels and products could be included, site update items, and possibly special features, such as "Feat of the month", "Realmslore of the month" and other interesting Realms items. We could also tie this in with the forum, mentioning scribes advancing to new levels of promotion etc.

The list is endless. I would like to hear any suggestions from anyone herein, and hear from any scribes who would be willing to devote a little time each month in aiding with the collation of material and production of the newsletter.

Thank ye.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2004 :  21:43:27  Show Profile
I would be interested in helping out with collation, formatting and such.

Also, having a solid deadline to work off is helpful-it might help us get some older, abandoned projects off the ground(nudges the local news updates and planar description projects).

Anyway, I'd be interested in providing something on each of the new(FR) planes each month, and my local news pieces on some of the areas I was to cover. I've got a few other things that might be worthy of inclusion-I'll see what I can dig up.

*skitters away from Feat of the Month* Please, no! 3e rules information is fine, but not something likely to be so unrelated to the Realms!

EDIT: So horribly beaten to the punch by the Sage, it's not even funny.

Edited by - Arivia on 27 Aug 2004 22:18:47
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  10:44:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Well, as I stated in the other scroll, I'd also be interested in helping out with the production of this newsletter.

Since my initial idea appears to be what prompted the creation of this new scroll, I'll simply add that the 'Current Clack' ideas does not have to be limited to the events for that particular month in the Realms. As other scribes have mentioned, various other pieces of Realmslore can also be adapted for this newsletter -- everything from the latest recipes being used by the master chefs of Waterdeep, to the most deeply profound ballads and epic tales being weaved together in the high court of the Forest Kingdom.

I see this newsletter as something more than just an ordinary information periodical -- I see it as something akin to a bard's journal, or travelling notebook... even a chapbook. A several page publication that offers little bits and pieces about the Realms as a whole.

Maybe we can even have themes set for the newsletter, or shape the content in a style similar to the Across Eberron booklet -- detailing a particular area of the Realms, and the daily cultural aspects of the area as the bard passes through the region.

What does everyone think?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  16:44:07  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met

Splendid, the more the merrier....many hands make light work.... and other phrases to that effect

Indeed, a fluff-heavy newsletter in that very format and content is what I envisage.

Alaundo

Edited by - Alaundo on 28 Aug 2004 16:44:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  17:59:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'd like to participate in this too, but my strongest skills are the editorial ones. I know not if someone else could handle that end...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2004 :  10:00:22  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message
I emailed Alaundo earlier before seeing this thread, so wont go into too much detail other than to highlight a few points.

I think if we're going to do this, we need to set up systems. One of the first ways that newsletters turn to crud is by being inconsistent. ie coming out off time, not having regular styles or content and any number of other problems.

This was my idea and im happy to work on it, but as I said to Alaundo, with laying it out, converting to PDF, mail formats, sending it to hotmail accounts for example and a number of other problems, there are going to be limitations.

For one, it seems people want to regard it as a an annul, or some kind of voluminous tome of info. Our newsletters are going to have to be more along the line of 500 to 1000 words. I mean we're talking about sending a web based document containing many pictures to people on hotmail and yahoo accounts. That leaves limited space. As well, someone has to lay all of it out, has to find/add pictures, convert it to PDF (which trust me takes a long time) ftp it across, organise the mail shot and indeed send it out and I feel sorry for the person who's hosting has to send out 500 200KB files...

What I'm trying to say, is lets keep the great ideas coming and try and build for the future, but walk before we can run. We need an idea for an introductory newsletter, one topic, decide on styles, formats, software, procedures, partners in the venture, dates, deadlines, regularoty, size, articles, features, canon/not canon, FR or all worlds, Eberron not Eberron, 3e only or all rule sets etc etc.

As I said to Alaundo, having the software, the means and the inclination to do this, I'm well placed to help, but there's only so much I can do. I still have a job and have 6 magazines that have to go out every month so my time will be limited.

Let's start planning the first newsletter first and then start planning the rest and growth afterwards. Once we have the system for actually producing and delivering the newsletters down, we can morph it and change it as much as we like.

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2004 :  11:24:21  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by MuadDib

What I'm trying to say, is lets keep the great ideas coming and try and build for the future, but walk before we can run. We need an idea for an introductory newsletter, one topic, decide on styles, formats, software, procedures, partners in the venture, dates, deadlines, regularoty, size, articles, features, canon/not canon, FR or all worlds, Eberron not Eberron, 3e only or all rule sets etc etc.

All in my most humble opinion of course, my suggestions and ideas:

Newsletter: should be monthly

Topics: one short story per month, one PrC/Feats/rules article per month, one fan Realmslore article per month, one Q&A Realmslore column per month, one "crunchy" FR gaming rules-related Q&A column per month, one miscellaneous topic column written by Ed Greenwood, one miscellaneous topic column written by any other willing FR author. (miscellaneous for both because I don't think we should stick them in a box -- this should be for them to run free with the wind and spread their wings as they see fit!)

Canon/not-canon: NOT CANON -- I can't even start to think of what could happen to our great site if we'd start making claims of canoncy around here... I hate lawyerssssz. Let's say it can be canon for those who want it to be...

Style: I'm not knowledgeable in this department, but I'd like something that screams "Realms"... Maybe in the style of the 2nd edition campaign setting "Grand Tour of the Realm" book... with nice medieval-looking headers and all...

Format: Word, please... PDF is "okay" but it really bites when comes the time to rip off all that good info and stick it into our own games. This should be by the gamers for the gamers: anything that complicate the cut and paste process for a DM is bad... very bad...

Partners in the venture: NONE -- again, not a lawyer here, but since its going to be mainly fan contribution, introducing money movements into this may result in ugliness later (i.e. "I gave you guys money to show my business -- NOT a logo of my company standing right under the picture of a frustrated bloodied dominatrix beating the crap out of five old men!!!"; or worse: "Hey! I wrote this for free... yeah... but how much money are you guys getting for these ads hmm?")

FR/Other worlds: NO!! FR ONLY!! and particularly NOT Eberron!!!!

Rules of use for crunchy articles: 3.5... I know many here still use the old editions, but we gotta keep up with the times here.

My two coppers of course...

PDK
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2004 :  12:41:18  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message
Ok, just to clear up one or two of my points:

I think the format should be PDF because it affords the best compression. I mean imagine trying to send a word document with embedded pictures, macros, buttons and what not to someone on hotmail, but that's just my 2c.

What I meant by partners in venture would be who would write regulars, who's on the production team, who's on distribution, who's on mailing etc etc. I think we should have an open door policy but also a high standard.

Otherwise I 'really' like PDK's idea on content. The only other thing I can think to include would be the interviews with famous authors. We could also use the newsletters to advertise upcoming author interviews.

As for frequency, I think a monthly, web-mag as it seems its going to become is cool, although it would seem people will have to dload it, as it will simply be too big to mail around. I also like the idea of a weekly letter, 500-1000 words, just some random info, links pics and one or two juicy tidbits, announcements and upcoming products and the link. Something like IMDB or Gamespot do...

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  03:22:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight
Style: I'm not knowledgeable in this department, but I'd like something that screams "Realms"... Maybe in the style of the 2nd edition campaign setting "Grand Tour of the Realm" book... with nice medieval-looking headers and all...

Hmmm...

That's a style type that I was considering myself. I'll second (or third) this option, Alaundo. It's Realms-specific, while being generalised enough to be useful to not only Realms-devotees, but those who only have a basic understanding of the setting.

We do afterall, want to make this periodical accessible to everyone who has an interest in the Realms, no matter how small.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  06:24:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight
Format: Word, please... PDF is "okay" but it really bites when comes the time to rip off all that good info and stick it into our own games. This should be by the gamers for the gamers: anything that complicate the cut and paste process for a DM is bad... very bad...

One note-if this does go to PDF, it will likely be from a text document piped through a virtual printer, most of which do support text selection in the end result.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  07:18:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I am more in favor of the monthly, web-based version, myself. A month gives the contributers more time to get everything they need to make it happen, and hosting it somewhere on the site means we don't have to worry about all the complications of e-mail. We could simply e-mail out a link, and have done with it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  08:53:29  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message
I too would like to see a monthy e-magazine format. As Wooly said, a month also gives people plenty of time to put something together for the mag and is a bit easier on the people having to do the hard work in actually producing it and sending it out.
The link would be easier as well, that way you don't have the problem of subscribers with free email accounts not being able to get all the goodies the mag may contain.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  11:33:30  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
::frantically scribbed down lists of ideas from fellow scribes::

Well met

Splendid, keep the ideas flowing.

I would personally prefer the newsletters in PDF format. However, there is no harm in having the newsletters available as online pages as well as the option to download it in PDF.

As for the frequency, monthly would be ideal.... the only problem I would envisage is commitment. Remembering that the newsletter would have to be in constant development throughout each month and thus require much time and effort for those involved. ...but aye, ye live for the Realms, I know

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  13:34:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Well, with my unusual work and study schedule, I've always had time to work on some of my projects during the day (although mostly late at night). I'm certain I can commit myself to a project such as this. It is afterall, as you say O Master Sage, a known fact that we "live for the Realms".

I much prefer to work as part of the source material team though (perhaps there should be two or three scribes set to a specific task -- it would level the load of work to be done on such contributions). I'm mostly an "idea-man" afterall.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  14:42:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Well, with my unusual work and study schedule, I've always had time to work on some of my projects during the day (although mostly late at night). I'm certain I can commit myself to a project such as this. It is afterall, as you say O Master Sage, a known fact that we "live for the Realms".

I much prefer to work as part of the source material team though (perhaps there should be two or three scribes set to a specific task -- it would level the load of work to be done on such contributions). I'm mostly an "idea-man" afterall.

If we do go the task-setting route, I'd like to extend my hand to cover 3e rules, if any of that's needed.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  14:47:48  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message
You could put certain people in charge of each section but that doesn't mean they have to do the work themselves it just means they are responsible for making sure the work gets done. For example whoever is in charge of the short stories doesn't have to write one themselves they just take all short stories contributed by the rest of us and decide which one to include in the newsletter. I hope that makes sense.
I'd love to be involved in this as well but most likely I'll just be submitting my own short stories, PrC's, magical items, etc... that will hopefully be included in it at some point

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  15:09:18  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message
Ahh a splendid idea indeed. Now I feel really sad I have been gone for so long from these lovely halls. Having a 3 year education in graphic production both online and print I am putting my hand up for helping out with that as well as some articles if I ever scrunge up the material. Altough with my nice spelling I should probably stay away from that

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2004 :  13:41:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Has there been any new developments with this "idea"?

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2004 :  14:19:36  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:

Well met, Sage

Alas, time has not been on my side of late, however, I have been in talks with a number of scribes on this matter and something will certainly be underway soon. I can not give a more accurate time on any developments but I will be setting up project objectives within the near future.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2004 :  21:04:00  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message
quote:

he was about to make the same question myself, saved me the trouble to do it

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  01:39:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Well, Alaundo has contacted me on this subject, so I took a look for this thread; I'd never looked through it before that I can remember.

I've proposed that I take the gameplay aspects, at least at first. I named some subjects to talk about regarding gameplay aspects of the Realms, and Alaundo liked them. I might also write a short story or two sometime in the future. I might also have some Realms-specific feats or the like sometime as well. In addition, I'll do a little editing, at least at first.

As to the newsletter itself, why are we making it monthly? Are we really going to have enough material when we start to do this twelve times a year? Why not bi-monthly, or skip some months? Remember, we aren't going to get any money for this, so this will all be in addition to our real-life work.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  02:55:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Aye,

I to got an email from him. I hope my reply went through. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  06:23:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
By the way, what do we call this? The Candlekeep Chronicle, perhaps?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  07:46:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Well, Alaundo has contacted me on this subject, so I took a look for this thread; I'd never looked through it before that I can remember.

I've proposed that I take the gameplay aspects, at least at first. I named some subjects to talk about regarding gameplay aspects of the Realms, and Alaundo liked them. I might also write a short story or two sometime in the future. I might also have some Realms-specific feats or the like sometime as well. In addition, I'll do a little editing, at least at first.

As to the newsletter itself, why are we making it monthly? Are we really going to have enough material when we start to do this twelve times a year? Why not bi-monthly, or skip some months? Remember, we aren't going to get any money for this, so this will all be in addition to our real-life work.

Well, I've sent off my reply to Alaundo about this project, along with some fresh ideas.

As for the publication period... Why not make it a quarterly edition?

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  09:11:15  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
Well met, fellow Scribes.

Thank ye all for replying (Kuje, I have not received a reply from thee, could ye please try sending it again), i'm sure that with all this enthusiasm and knowledge that we can make this a great periodical indeed

Indeed, a monthly publication would be hard-pressed ('tis a flaw of mine to be overly ambitious ), however, I may have suggested to a number of ye that bi-monthly would likely work out much better. Quarterly at the most. As with most new ventures, we can see how it goes and see how much material gets submitted.

I envisage that the first issue (or two) will be a general Realmslore theme, afterwhich, themes will be announced for those wishing to contribute articles and such for the following issue.

I will respond to thy personal scrolls later today. I have had some very positive responses. Some columns and suggestions are already assigned, which I will discuss later.

Thank ye all once again.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  09:14:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
How many scribes have signed on so far, Alaundo?

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  09:25:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:

How many scribes have signed on so far, Alaundo?

Well met

To date, we have ten scribes, with varied expertise in both Realmslore and design.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  09:39:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
And when would you like material ready?

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  10:18:12  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

And when would you like material ready?

Well met

Ooohh, as soon as possible, my dear Bookwyrm, as soon as possible

I will be opening up a private chamber for the newsletter staff soon, in which, we can discuss schedules and work assignments.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  10:43:26  Show Profile
Responded to your second email, Alaundo.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  17:23:43  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message
What if we did simple slimmed down monthly issues most months but some nice "jumbo" issues quartery? Perhaps leave things that take a long time (such as artwork and fan fiction) for the jumbo issues? Just an idea.

Now I'm confused will this be open content as in we will be accepting submissions from any and all scribes of Candlekeep or is there going to be a selected staff which produces all the material?

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000