Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Magical Item
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2002 :  20:46:37  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Whether it be due to extreme power or a perfect match for your personality most everyone has a favorite magic item. Artifact or not, from the simple to the complex all are fair game. From the lowly Ring of Warmth to the ever-so-powerful Staff of the Magi.

Cast your posts upon the water and no doubt they will be returned at least threefold.

A note to those who would post: Please include the powers of the item for those who may not be familiar with it.

Artalis

Email

Edited by - Artalis on 13 Dec 2002 20:49:29

sabre
Acolyte

Turkey
47 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2002 :  23:50:25  Show Profile Send sabre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a returning keen +2 tomahawk(it ia a kind of handaxe used by cherokees)...
and a "must" rope n' grappling hook...
by the way did i mention a reliable keen sneak attack dagger?
and last; a ring of featherfall(you can't choose where you fall from all the time...)

sabre
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2002 :  17:42:44  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realized I forgot to post my favorites:

In no particular order...

Boots of Striding and Springing
Rod of Lordly Might
Rod of Splendor
Ring of Rapid Regeneration
The Shenandriial

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2002 :  20:36:03  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first is the mighty peanut +1
Yes i know it's completly useless, you just deal 1 pt of damage... but it's a funny thing for an unusual character!

And the second is the cursed leaf
It's a little bit more useful: when you act on the forest in an evil kind of way, the leaf enclose your hand and you can't remove it. It tries to disable you from casting spell with somatic components, from fightin withe the cursed hand...
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2002 :  22:36:57  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite magic iten would bee Anyllan's Bottles, can you have some fun with one of those or what.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page

Oden Orcsblud
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2002 :  21:46:34  Show Profile  Visit Oden Orcsblud's Homepage Send Oden Orcsblud a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best magical item I've encountered is an invisible ring of regeneration. Unless someone knows of the ring, you are practically immortal, stuck dead one day, and back at the throat of your enemy before the end of the week.......lovely

Edited by - Oden Orcsblud on 20 Dec 2002 13:15:14
Go to Top of Page

Kitira Gildragon
Learned Scribe

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2002 :  14:18:21  Show Profile  Visit Kitira Gildragon's Homepage Send Kitira Gildragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not too hard to answer but it depends on class

Theif- Studded Leather: Night's Gift (?) +4), Dagger of Venom,
Boots of Stealth, Sword of Backstabbing +3

Warrior - Vorpal Blade ( 25% chance of killing anything),
Plate Mail Armor, Gauntlets of Ogre power

Cleric- Staff of Striking & Ankeg Armor(sp?)

Wizard- scrolls of Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting (great for
1 hit mage kills <evil grin>)

-Space for rent-
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2002 :  14:47:03  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kitira Gildragon
Theif- Studded Leather: Night's Gift (?) +4

Oooooo that sounds nice! I want one!!! Tell me more about this Kitira! Does it have any other abilities? Which product is it detailed in?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2003 :  13:59:42  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

quote:
Originally posted by Kitira Gildragon
Theif- Studded Leather: Night's Gift (?) +4

Oooooo that sounds nice! I want one!!! Tell me more about this Kitira! Does it have any other abilities? Which product is it detailed in?

It boosts the wearer's Hide In Shadows.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2003 :  14:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourite magical items is the Potion of Healing.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2003 :  23:16:02  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite would be the Bag of Holding, although i've noticed Katanas aren't very popular in the FR.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2003 :  23:25:50  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have to say MoonBlades. Its not the most powerful, but you get some nice bonuses.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Dark_Lord
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2003 :  16:34:33  Show Profile Send Dark_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hand of Vecna.....The coolest one too.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2003 :  20:38:22  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does the Hand (and the Eye) of Vecna do? On a related note, do you know the name of the Planescape campaign in which Vecna tries to take over Sigil? I saw it once several years ago, but I havn't seen it since.
Go to Top of Page

Minardil
Acolyte

Finland
18 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  17:09:21  Show Profile  Visit Minardil's Homepage Send Minardil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bag of Holding, absolutely. *sigh*. I remember when once I filled TWO Bags of Holding with gold pieces... It was GRAND. If I remember correctly, I used my third of those money to my tower... Couple of miles north along the coast from Waterdeep. You are welcome to visit...

Can we not be friends? After all, our dust shall be equal in the end.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  19:49:54  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oo . . . a bag of holding . . . . Yes, many's the time I've wanted one of those in real life. People are always amazed at the sorts of things I'm always carrying around. My pockets are all bulging usually -- if I don't have any pockets I feel naked, frankly.

Next to that, a ring of teleportation without error would be good too. No more traffic jams, or long drives.

Heh. Um, this was the thread on daydream wishlists, right?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Xaralin
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  04:16:57  Show Profile  Visit Xaralin's Homepage Send Xaralin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How ablout a +5 Thunder Sap? j/k. I think I like Vorpal weapons the best.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  06:24:07  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was always a fan of a ring of three wishes. So many chances for mayham. I will ever maintain that the worst thing a person can do is throw their dice at the Dm and then casta wish spell...ahhh...the memories...

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 23 Apr 2003 06:28:00
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  06:32:52  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to agree: Bah of Holding. I love them and they are so helpful. I hope my DM will allow me to get one or two later. I also like the Crystal Shard except that it tries to overpower the will of the holder of the shard.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

TsilfaEor
Acolyte

France
9 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2003 :  22:43:53  Show Profile  Visit TsilfaEor's Homepage Send TsilfaEor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My elven nature prays and dreams of one divine present: a MoonBlade!
The union of one's self with the sword and is beautiful fighting powers is the best that could happen to me.

As for the armor: Celestial armor is my preferred (even if it is simple)

Tsilfa

"He who controls the past commands the future.
He who commands the future conquers the past."
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  10:12:03  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favourite magical weapon depends upon what you play:

PC: A +1 longsword! My god, there is nothing more refreshing that when you are a low level and your part gets its first two magical items a potion of healing and a longsword +1! Imagine what you can do with your sword +1, no opponent will be out of your reach and you will bring your wrath down on every one. Deffonetally for a low level player Character getting the parties first weapon +1 is a major confidance booster, you know longer feel like a piddily low level!

DM: For a DM whom wants to add a bit of fun to their campaign, either a Wand of Wonder or a deck of many things! One of these two will introduce a little amount of random uncertianty and light humored jovial fun into your game. IMO For a DM these are the best Magical items to include in you game!
Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  13:47:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

My favorite magical item - Elminster's Eversmoking Pipe.

My Sage PC has one, which Elminster crafted especially for him. For me, no sagely character is complete without one.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms lore needs

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  04:50:52  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That old, senile,loudmouth made you a pipe?! I had to fight a small war to get him to tell me where he hid my staff!! Ugh...Chosen, you can't live with em', but you can't cause large-scale, irrepreble topographical damage without em'.

In any case, oh wisest of all sages, care to share with me how you managed to get such a toy off the old man? Because...well...I want to get ym staff back! (It's a really cool staff, it let's me operate at peak effciancy inside dead magic and wild magic zones.)

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  05:29:13  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I already posted this on another thread somewhere in this vast library, but WTH, here it is again:

Ring of the Archmage - A plain, unadorned ring of the purest Mithril. Will allow the wearer, who must be an Arcane caster, to memorize double the normal amount of spells per day. (at 15th level that comes to 52. BOOOYAH!!!)

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  10:35:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Edain Shadowstar said -
quote:
In any case, oh wisest of all sages, care to share with me how you managed to get such a toy off the old man?
All I can say at this point was that it was a reward for services rendered to the Old Mage of Shadowdale.

Actually the adventure revolved around finding and retreiving a very unique tome of forgotten lore from a citadel deep in the heart of Thay (our DM wanted to give us a challenge), but we later discovered that that was the easy part. The tome itself was sentient and it's corrupt mind threatened to overpower and control any who came into physical contact with it, transforming the victim into a slave-womb from which an ancient and vile demon of great power could grow and be reborn .

When my friend and I were designing this adventure I was reading some of my old Marvel comics - the Chthon and Darkhold storyline, so basically this is where my inspiration for this adventure came from. It was similar in design since the Darkhold was always supposed to be the doorway or medium through which the demon, Chthon could re-enter our world.

Anyway once all the trials were over, we returned the tome (in a specially crafted bag of holding) to Elminster, and he rewarded the members of the party with an assortment of magical items. The adventure however had cost the party dearly, one the PC's had been killed in the intial infiltration into Thay.

Well that's all for now,

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  11:20:39  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What did the others get?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  08:23:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Bookwyrm said -
quote:
What did the others get?
The other members of the party received several items which included -
  • a +2 large shield
  • a +3 Ring of Protection
  • a +2 Throwing Dagger of Uncanny Accuracy
  • a +2 longsword named Ultimate Justice
These items were selected randomly from a large table of 20 items the DM had constructed. The DM then rolled a d20 and made available the magical items, with the players choosing what they wanted from the results.

Good learning...

Go to Top of Page

ShadowPavement
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  14:08:26  Show Profile  Visit ShadowPavement's Homepage Send ShadowPavement a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite item definately has to be the lowly ring of sustinance. Never worry about food or sleeping again.

I think that any party that adventures together for a long time should have three items for every member. A ring of sustinance, a Hewards handy haversack, and boots of striding and springing. These are all relatively cheep minor magical items that any explorer/adventurer should never be without. Otherwise you'd never be able to get all the treasure back to town since your pack is full of nothing but food, rope, and lamp oil :-P

Some people would complain if you hanged them with a brand new rope.
-Hanibal Smith
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  20:03:54  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know they were minor magical items. I certainly didn't know that the ring of sustinance also let you skip sleeping. They certainly sound like a good kit to have.

By the way, what does the haversack do? I know what a haversack is, but what's the enchantment on it?

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 28 Apr 2003 20:05:20
Go to Top of Page

Cult_Leader
Learned Scribe

USA
337 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2003 :  22:19:14  Show Profile  Visit Cult_Leader's Homepage Send Cult_Leader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowPavement

My favorite item definately has to be the lowly ring of sustinance. Never worry about food or sleeping again.

I think that any party that adventures together for a long time should have three items for every member. A ring of sustinance, a Hewards handy haversack, and boots of striding and springing. These are all relatively cheep minor magical items that any explorer/adventurer should never be without. Otherwise you'd never be able to get all the treasure back to town since your pack is full of nothing but food, rope, and lamp oil :-P

Indeed that ring is a good ring to have. But my fave magic item is the cube that has six sides of course lol. And each side is attuned to one relm and world, I.E hell, mount cellestrious (is spelled right) astral plane, etc. Why? I would attune three sides for sure, One to hell, One to Mount Cel. and one to the prime/home plane. I would make sure that the opening to hell was only set up for the devils plane of hell. ANd put up a sign that states: Please pay toll to enter mount cel. And since they are LE creatures they would pay the toll. The toll box would also say .. please do not touch toll bow nore remove money from it. The sign would also state that it is one gold for each creature who uses the portal. ^_^. In mount Cel.. I would simply put up a sign that sasy... Please pay toll to go to hell. The toll box itself would still have the same sign upon it about not touching it heh. And as for me I would only go to those planes when the gold needed to be taken otu of the toll bin so more coins can fit in it. Nice way to make money huh? The other three sides would be set up to planes and realms that I can run away to if something goes wrong.

"Madness you say! Do you fear me? Are you afraid of what I might do, of what I might say? What a fascinating reaction. Don't you find it somewhat encumbering?"

Piddles assumes a deep and resonant voice. "Space...the Final Frontier. These are the voyages of the starship...Garou. It's mission: to slay Wyrm creatures where they live and breed. To accumulate more Garou than the world's entire population. To produce metis like no one has before." - Piddles

"Aren't you people supposed to be doing something? Like, entertaining me, the fascist wizard?" - InleRah

I have the passwords to the minds of everyone and the cheat codes to the universe - Me
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000