Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New weapons
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brad_stubbert
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2003 :  00:24:37  Show Profile  Visit Brad_stubbert's Homepage Send Brad_stubbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey, i am new to fantasy and dungons and dragons but i have read alot about weapons (just read favorite weapon and/or armour). i do not know mif someone has allready started a topic on this or not but does anyone have any original weapon ideas. no matter how weird or wacky i want to hear them all.

Brad Stubbert- The Spider Mage

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2003 :  05:50:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try these venerable tomes: Artifacts and Favorite Weapon and/or Armor.

Better not let Alaundo catch you doing this! He likes to have each and every tome in this library to be unique. No overlap or excess copies. But don't worry. I'm sure that since this is your first offence, he'll go easy on you if he does find it.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2003 :  14:33:09  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

Indeed! Well guided Bookwyrm
Remember all, that we have a type of scrying device within the library to enable you to seek out tomes and scrolls scattered throughout the numerous shelves. Please use this before writing.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2003 :  07:55:06  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You beat me on that one Bookwyrm
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2003 :  15:42:18  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would go out and buy a Arms and Equipment Guide.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Brad_stubbert
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2003 :  17:35:16  Show Profile  Visit Brad_stubbert's Homepage Send Brad_stubbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
soory about that Alaundo i will not let it happen again.

Go to Top of Page

Hendrindar
Acolyte

13 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2003 :  20:22:16  Show Profile  Visit Hendrindar's Homepage Send Hendrindar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do you use the scrying device?

"
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2003 :  21:10:21  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You click here
Then you have to precise the word you're looking for (for example: "weapon")
Right after you choose if you want the search to
-Match exact phrase
-Search for all Words
-Match any of the words

You can already press "search". But you can have a more precise search (name of the scribe, forum, ...)

I hope it helped.
Go to Top of Page

sabre
Acolyte

Turkey
47 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2003 :  21:41:09  Show Profile Send sabre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have one idea and i crafted it myself.Ýt is called "s-bird".Ýt is a thrown weapon bigger but not heavier than shuriken.it is damage 1d3 and you can throw 2 sbirds with your first attack, one in the second and 2 again in the third and it goes like this.it threatens a critical on a 19-20 and critical multiplier is x2.I had a ambidexterous rogue/fighter in a game and He killed a zombie with this nasty wicked little things with four critical and a normal hit in one round.And because this weapon is bigger than shuriken you can add your half strength modifier to damage.

sabre
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  06:05:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trafaldi

I would go out and buy a Arms and Equipment Guide.

There's a certain store in a place similar to the jungles of Chult. There's a portal to it here at Candlekeep. They have such tomes at a very nice discount. (Just be careful about the women there. They can be deadly. )

However, such a tome is not what this young scribe was asking for. I'm sure that Alaundo will ask that this thread not be used any more, and that all such questions be added to the book Favorite Weapon and/or Armor.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2003 :  09:03:23  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope I'm not setting myself up for some chastisement, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think the other topics really apply here. Brad wanted to know about original weapon ideas, not your favorite one, or if it's an artifact.

Anyway Brad, here's mine, although it's not really mine, I got it from a Rolemaster supplement and converted over to 2nd Ed.

Khazail - (P.ka-ZALE) Dwarven made warhammer. This weapon is the same as a normal warhammer, except it's weight is lighter and shorter. It's design is better suited to the stature and 'bulkiness' of dwarves. In the hands of any race but a dwarf, it is a normal warhammer. If a dwarf wields it, it acts as a non-magical +2 warhammer, and can be thrown up to 25' with no penalty. When hit, there is a 5% chance per point of the wielders strength to knock down their opponent. It is generally made from high steel or any other alloy suited to weapons. If enchanted, the nonmagical bonus is cumulative with the magical one against normal opponents.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2003 :  04:30:36  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Artifacts deals with rare or one-of-a-kind items, whether made by Wizards or by a player.

Now, be careful. You'll wake Alaundo.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2003 :  12:01:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There may be an appology in order for several people from yours truly.

While reading my Player's Handbook I came across an alluded definition of the term "artifact." My earlier statements on this thread were made under the assumption that there was no narrow definition being used here.

However, under the description for the spell detect magic I found a chart, listing the relative strengths of a magical item's aura. There it listed "artifact" to be one peg short of "divinely made."

Never let it be said that I wouldn't eat crow if it was deserved. If that definition is being used here, then by all means, please continue using this thread. I'll even contribute -- once I convert some things to D&D stats.

Go to Top of Page

Brad_stubbert
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  01:26:56  Show Profile  Visit Brad_stubbert's Homepage Send Brad_stubbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow Bookwyrm i'm glad that you stay true to your quote, what edition do you play? sorry i have not replyed in so long but i've been really busy will try MUCH harder to give more positive feed back. By the way Yasraena i like Khazail and sabre teh s-bird sound like it would fit into any good campain as well.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  05:23:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's quite all right, Brad, I know the feeling. I'm in a busy spell myself.

As for the edition, I've never actually played, since the computer games don't really count. (And I've only played the Eye of the Beholder trilogy, Dungeon Hack, and Menzoberranzan.)

However, I am "getting into it" -- Mumadar seems to have taken leave of his senses and decided he might let me into a PBeM. He seems to approve of the character I submitted, at least. That's using 3rd.

I'll get around to those weapons I promised . . . sometime . . . .

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 20 Apr 2003 05:23:53
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  10:01:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings,

Brad, I have just recently started up a thread in the Running the Realms section about an Underdark Campaign that I was running. In the thread I have listed some weapons that were used in the campaign.

Here's the thread -
http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=844

Be sure to check in from time to time because there are more to come.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 20 Apr 2003 10:02:59
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  18:10:16  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mangonel of Vampire Flinging

This seige weapon is best used when it is bright and sunny so that the Mangonel of Vampire FLinging will actually fling screaming flaming undead humanoids with enhanced canines. The tragectory works best when the screaming flaming undead humanoids are launched OVER the wall to attack defenders, but if the engineer misses and HITS the wall it is often fun to see the screaming flaming undead humanoids burst into flaming fragments. It is also a good idea to fling coffins at the wall so the melodramatic vampires can lament as their hope of reforming are, well shattered.

If an engineer must use the Mangonel of Vampire flinging during the night, it is best used when facing off a pack of werewolves. If used against the werewolves, they will stop pursuing you and devour the melodramatically depressed vampires, because the vampires are an insult to the werewolves savagery, and non depressed emotions.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Brad_stubbert
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2003 :  19:42:46  Show Profile  Visit Brad_stubbert's Homepage Send Brad_stubbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a feeling you put a lot of thinking into the Mangonel of Vampire Flinging. And i never knew that about werewolves.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  01:08:16  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YES!!!! Werewolves EAT vampires. Because werewolves are cool and vampires are STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPID!!!!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Edited by - Mournblade on 21 Apr 2003 01:08:51
Go to Top of Page

Brad_stubbert
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  03:28:25  Show Profile  Visit Brad_stubbert's Homepage Send Brad_stubbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well now that we know that about werewolves i'm going to have to stop making fun of them.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  04:02:28  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mournblade94

Mangonel of Vampire Flinging . . .

*blink*

What kind of a crazy weapon is that? And where do you get the vampires?

Go to Top of Page

Brad_stubbert
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  04:31:29  Show Profile  Visit Brad_stubbert's Homepage Send Brad_stubbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i never even thought of that

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  17:12:41  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrn there are plenty of game conventions where Vampires are overpopulated. YOu can just take them from there. Beware though, their laments will drive you mad.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  19:31:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do I sense a bit of a pet peeve, Mournblade?

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  20:34:10  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Bookwyrm it is enough of a pet peeve for me to SHARPEN wooden stakes.

Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2003 :  21:59:35  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mournblade94:
quote:
YES!!!! Werewolves EAT vampires. Because werewolves are cool and vampires are STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPID!!!!

I'm going to do quick way, way, way, way OT post, then run away before Alaundo notices:

vampirethemasqueradeisareallycoolgame.

<run, run, run>

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 21 Apr 2003 22:00:29
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2003 :  01:18:28  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2003 :  09:28:24  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, as I promised, a New Weapon.

Force whip

Requires:
Exotic weapon proficiency
Weapon finesse (whip)
Weapon specialization (ranged)
Weapon focus (whip)
High concentration (see text)

A rare, but not unheard of, weapon is the force whip. Appearing at first to be a simple, six-inch tube, when activated it extends a flexible, softly glowing ribbon of force that can be manipulated in the same was as an ordinary whip.

It is a feared weapon, due to the fact that the force-ribbon is so thin it can cut through most solids. Unlike the ordinary whip, it can easily cut through many rocks and at least gouge nonmagical armor and weapons. A successful trip or disarm attack with this weapon will slice through whatever was targeted, completely severing it unless the target has a bonus of +4. Otherwise, it deals 1d8+3 damage (normal, not subdual).

More feared, though, are those who wield this weapon. Anyone attempting to attack with a force whip must not only be skilled in the use of whips, but also must succeed at a concentration check (DC 15 + any outside interference) or loose control. The nature of the force whip makes it dangerous to the user (or companions thereof) if this happens. Any bearing this device is to be treated with caution -- that person is likely not to be trifled with.

NOTES
Feel free to tweak with this. There are a lot of modifiers that can apply to it. I didn’t want to add built-in variables (varying lengths and thicknesses, mental control) because I don’t want it to be an uberweapon. It’s a relatively simple magical weapon. It’s already hard to defend against and to use; don’t adjust it in that sense. I guess you can if you want, but I think that would just go into the realm of “tacky.”

This is the first thing I’ve created like this for game use, so I’ve probably left something out. Plus, I've written it late at night while taking a break from more "legal" pursuits () so I've likely made some obvious writing mistakes if nothing else. I'm just too lazy to proofread right now . . . .

Let me know if you’ve got any questions.

Go to Top of Page

Brad_stubbert
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  01:39:28  Show Profile  Visit Brad_stubbert's Homepage Send Brad_stubbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm i underestimated you, well not totally i knew you were going to put in a weapon but i did not think it would be so complex and thought-out but i do have a question or two; where do you get these force whip(s), do they require any special techniques to create and are they limited to any class/race? thanks again for this very original weapon.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  03:13:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brad_stubbert

. . . where do you get these force whip(s) . . .

That's up to the DM. However, they wouldn't be in any ordinary sort of shop. It's more likely that it would be gained through commissioning a spellcaster.

They aren't unknown, but most people have never seen one. Just the tales. Keep in mind that with all such tales, they'll most likely be exagerated.

quote:

. . . do they require any special techniques to create . . .

I don't know. I don't know the rules for this. Perhaps all that would be needed is the telekinesis spell and proper item creation feats, but the maker would need to be of a certain level (6 is the TK spell's level) and a high Craft rating. Anyone have any suggestions?

quote:

. . . are they limited to any class/race?

Well, the weapon specialization feat is only allowed for fighters, so I suppose so. Up to the DM, though.

quote:

thanks again for this very original weapon.

You're welcome. I've had this knocking around in my head for a few days, and just sat down and wrote it out.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  08:56:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a new one. I kind of like this one -- it's based on something from my very first fantasy story. However, it's certainly changed from the original, as that one had a very different magic from that of D&D.

Bracers of Attack and Defense

These bracers are often inscribed with a curious design, that of a dagger on a shield. This comes from the fact that they aid the wearer in both areas of combat (Hence the name.)

When the being wearing them sharply raps them together, blades will shoot out over the backs of the wearer's hands. This is a magical, not a mechanical, action, as the metal itself is reshaped. (Therefore it is all one piece.)

These blades are to be considered punching daggers, with the following exceptions. First, they are always at least enchanted +1. Second, they allow the wearer to manipulate and hold other objects. (This is limited by mobility -- obviously the extended blade will get in the way of some actions. This is at the DM’s discretion.)

Another effect that occurs is a protection field is activated when the blades are extended. It is always at least a +1 bonus to AC, and is in fact the same bonus to defense that the blades give to offence. (This may also give a saving throw versus some sort of physical damage, as determined by the DM. This would only deal with combat (trauma) damage, however, not poison or Will saves or such rolls.) The defense bonus is only available when the blades are extended, though.

Activating the bracers’ two effects is a free action, as is deactivating it. Once deactivated, it cannot be activated again for three rounds. If affected by dispel magic or an antimagic field it is as if they were deactivated by the wearer. The same time limit to reactivation is in affect.

These “bracers of attack and defense” are very popular among wizards and sorcerers, as they give them weapons (and a nice AC bonus) while leaving their hands free for spellcasting gestures. Fighting type characters are divided on whether they’re worth it, although monks are able to use their full unarmed attack bonus with these blades. Bards are advised not to use them, as they can damage instruments when extended.

Prices vary with the metal used and enchantments cast. (In other words, I’m too lazy to figure it out, so it’s up to you DMs. ) One can usually find at least one pair in a large enough city. (Perhaps even two or more in a place like Waterdeep. Again, DM”s choice.)

The bracers are usually as long as a human’s forearm, but can vary in size (corresponding to character size -- i.e., Small, Medium, and so on) and basic look. The size of the blades are the same as those of the bracers themselves. The blades only appear while on a living being, and if removed in any way they disappear. They can be made of any metal that will take magical enhancement.

NOTE: When I thought of the name for these bracers, I swear to you that I hadn’t noticed that it formed the acronym “BAD.” Feel free to ignore that bit of tastelessness. Unless of course you actually think it’s funny. If you do, you probably need a humor transplant, though.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000