Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Favourite Novels Part 2
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2004 :  12:33:31  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Since there were a lot more novels than I originally anticipated and even with Alaundo's extension, I still found that I couldn't fit all the series into one poll. Therefore there are two.
Note: Only series that are entirely published are included here as some of us are still waiting for a few novels to hit the shelves.
Note 2: There are a few series not listed in either polls due to space restrictions, plus I think two is enough on this topic.

Choices:

Path of Darkness Series
Lost Empires Trilogy
Nobles Series
Sembia Series
Return of the Archwizards Series
Counselors and Kings Trilogy
Starlight and Shadows Series
Cormyr Saga
Netheril Trilogy
Druidhome Trilogy
Rogues Series
Hunter''s Blades Trilogy

(Anonymous Vote)

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2004 :  14:28:49  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The mid 90's is where I fell off on most of my required Realms reading, but I own most of the books and just need to read them. Hunter's Blade is the only one of these series' that I have read all the books from.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2004 :  16:47:45  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote for the Cormyr books was lost when I clicked on 'check results' first...
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2004 :  21:31:27  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sembia won this time, not only were the books excellent they introduced a few new authors onto the scene and also the wonderful Mr Cale.

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2004 :  01:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for the Councelors and Kings series here. Matteo is one of my favorite characters. This series is very compelling and has so many plot twists and great story plus the setting was very new and interesting at the time. The Sembia series would be a very close second for me though that is a great colection of books from some of the best FR authors.

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  11:37:38  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sembia Series earned my vote here. Although each novel was separate and written by various author, the novels were well developed and the authors did a good job linking them to each other by detailing the events of famliy Uskerven. The Uskerven family in itself was very interesting to read about.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Enialus Meliamne
Acolyte

Portugal
43 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2004 :  22:23:38  Show Profile  Visit Enialus Meliamne's Homepage Send Enialus Meliamne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

I voted for the Councelors and Kings series here. Matteo is one of my favorite characters. This series is very compelling and has so many plot twists and great story plus the setting was very new and interesting at the time. The Sembia series would be a very close second for me though that is a great colection of books from some of the best FR authors.

Agreed good Elf! An excellent series (I just finished approx 1 month ago). Matteo was an Excellent character, though I think Tzigone would be my favorite. A very well done read and an interesting Prestige Class to learn about to boot.

Unashamed RAS fan.

Unashamed fan of THE Drow Elf Ranger.

Reader of any author in FR who entertains or weaves a good yarn.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2004 :  01:44:24  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Definitely The Sembia series.They were excellent books that introduced some appealing characters.Erevis Cale being the best of the best,and also one of my favorites.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  14:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a Netheril fanatic but didn't vote the Netheril triology because the second was pretty good with Karsus and all but there was too much emphasis on the land below and not enough on the flying cities for my taste. Good novels, but not enough to beat its competition. Sembia series gets my vote (multiple stories all intertwined written by various authors....can't go wrong with that)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  16:59:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its a pretty dead race between Cormyr trilogy (essential Realms-lore) and the Druidhome trilogy (I think I must admit that I enjoy reading them more). Out of pure nostalgia my vote goes for Druidshome.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  17:07:11  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A dificult choice, indeed!

My vote goes to Starlight and Shadow trilogy.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

ElvenBard
Acolyte

Turkey
8 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2006 :  02:25:06  Show Profile  Visit ElvenBard's Homepage Send ElvenBard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it is strange that i couldn't find Icewind Dale Trilogy in the poll.. so i decided Starlight and Shadows Trilogy is the best among them, E. Cunningham did a great job!
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2006 :  03:33:50  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with Paths of Darkness.

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Zimme
Learned Scribe

Denmark
209 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2006 :  15:31:23  Show Profile Send Zimme a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Out of the choises I had, I chose Hunters blade. allways was a sucker for the writings of Salvatore. War of the spider queen, is
allso a fine thing. =)

Sometimes I feel like Beshaba is sitting on my back, devoting her entire attention to me!

Rannek.

Go to Top of Page

koz
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2007 :  09:45:35  Show Profile  Visit koz's Homepage Send koz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't finished all of the series listed so I will base my vote on the ones that I have. I absolutely loved the Paths of Darkness series. The two standouts being The Silent Blade and Sea of Swords. I was going through some very difficult times when I read read The Silent Blade so I could empathize with Wulfgar a little. Trust is a hard thing to gain once it's lost. I loved Sea of Swords for the seafaring. I was a big fan of The Threat from the Sea so this really hit the spot. The Lost Empires were good reads just not quite my style I guess. The Return of the Archwizards was really good in my opinion. I liked how a lot of towns, races and people had to put aside differences to confront a common enemy. Once that enemy is defeated all bets are of though. The Hunter's Blades was also very good. Not quite as epic as we are used to from Drizzt and the gang but that is one of the things I liked about it. Yes having thousands of orcs and giants is a tough task but compared to the the quest for Mithril Hall and the Drow invasion it was nice to see a localized threat that someone in a larger city could care less about unless it affected them. Very well done. My vote goes for The Paths of Darkness though. Being able to identify with a plot line is hard to do in a fantasy novel. Being able to bring subject matter like that into a fantasy novel and making it work is even rarer.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  00:34:10  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I really didn't like Troy's (Denning) contribution/ideas, I voted for the Cormyr series. I honestly think that 'Cormyr: A Novel' is probably the best FR novel ever written, and shows Ed's marvelous talent at storytelling (if you want to REALLY get into the mood, try listening to the album 'El Greco' by Vangelis while reading =)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Twilight
Seeker

Canada
68 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  04:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Twilight's Homepage Send Twilight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sellswords Series because Jarlaxle is the coolest character in the realms and Artemis is a close 2nd
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000