Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Lost Empires of Faerun contents page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  09:23:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And there's three other gaming supplements I want that are coming out any day now. They're not Realms supplements, but I think The Sage could guess at least a couple of them.

Oh, I can . Any of them you're waiting for in particular?

Unfortunately for me though, I've only just found out that the shipment carrying one of those supplements will be delayed for at least three-to-four weeks... .

I suppose I can badger you with questions though, until it arrives... .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  11:27:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

And there's three other gaming supplements I want that are coming out any day now. They're not Realms supplements, but I think The Sage could guess at least a couple of them.

Unfortunately for me though, I've only just found out that the shipment carrying one of those supplements will be delayed for at least three-to-four weeks... .

Indeed, there is one in particular I can't wait to get my hands on... But I'll take this discussion to PM. I tempt the wrath of Big Al enough without discussing other settings in here!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Jan 2005 11:32:16
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  13:11:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Indeed, there is one in particular I can't wait to get my hands on... But I'll take this discussion to PM. I tempt the wrath of Big Al enough without discussing other settings in here!

True. Discussing this elsewhere would be the more appropriate option, for in the words of Sage Schend, we must do all we can to -
quote:
keep Alaundo from smacking us with the Rod of Pointless Postings.
There, that should do it .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2005 :  22:18:08  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

A question for Eric, Ed and George

Does LEOF provide any further infomation on Myth Adofhaer? (The missing sun elf city mentioned in Magic of Faerun)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2005 :  22:55:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2005 :  23:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Maybe ...

-- George Krashos

hmmmmm

I came up with a couple of ideas for what happaned to that city in my Complete Forgotten realms article including

5)Drow god Ghaunadaur took the Sun Elf city and trapped it in the Underdark beneath the High forest inside the massive fungus known as Araumycos…

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 01 Feb 2005 23:17:58
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2005 :  23:29:26  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

hmmmmm

I came up with a couple of ideas for what happaned to that city in my Complete Forgotten realms article including

5)Drow god Ghaunadaur

Err not sure can be called a Drow god, just some perfer slime to spiders.

Edited by - Kentinal on 01 Feb 2005 23:31:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  00:30:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe ...

-- George Krashos

Krash, you tease!

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
5)Drow god Ghaunadaur

He's listed as part of the drow pantheon...

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  00:38:48  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:
5)Drow god Ghaunadaur

He's listed as part of the drow pantheon...

Well the slime and ooze pantheon has not gotten much attention the last 30 years and yes some misguided drow do perfer slime to spiders. *wink*
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  06:07:01  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
10 Reasons for DMs to buy LEOF (And in my opinion the ONLY people who should be buying it)

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/news/20050202news

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  06:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Servant of the Fallen feat sounds interesting

By the way the pic to the right is awesome!

and if all the pics in LEOF are on the same level then Ill take back Half of the bad things I said about wotc for using Animie in Races of Faerun

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 02 Feb 2005 06:12:49
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  07:42:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The picture does look nice. Thanks for posting this update.

I found this part the most interesting

quote:

4. Add Secretive Elves to Your Campaign: Try adding in Olin Gisir -- an elf who works to keep ancient knowledge secret and out of the wrong hands (probably nonelven hands, from her point of view).

I can't wait to find out more about this elf.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  12:50:28  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

10 Reasons for DMs to buy LEOF (And in my opinion the ONLY people who should be buying it)

I can understand your feeling about DMs only, however WotC perger greater sales, further at least the PrC should be information avaialible to players. DM of course could provide (What I expect to be a small part of the book) that information on a need to know basics.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  13:01:18  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

I found this part the most interesting

quote:

4. Add Secretive Elves to Your Campaign: Try adding in Olin Gisir -- an elf who works to keep ancient knowledge secret and out of the wrong hands (probably nonelven hands, from her point of view).

Could be very interesting, perhaps coming from the line of Nether Scrolls aquiriers.
Go to Top of Page

edbonny
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  14:07:24  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

and if all the pics in LEOF are on the same level then Ill take back Half of the bad things I said about wotc for using Animie in Races of Faerun

I believe (and I may be going out on a limb here) that the artwork next to that list is the final battle with an artificer of Imaskar battling a Mulan in the Imaskar capital city. It appears similar to my art order which called for the ruler of the Imaskar wielding one of the seven Imaskarcana and riding atop a dragon battling an incarnation of a Mulan deity.

-Ed
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  02:17:51  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh a First of the Imaskari eh, neat. And now we know why The Cultists wear purple at least

I find the snippet about "1. Add Meaning to Your Campaign:" interesting since it summs up more or less what is the true force behind the realms.

Also "7. Flesh out Your Ruins:" looks nice. I have such troubles with that... not. But interesting never the less.

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi

Edited by - Hymn on 03 Feb 2005 02:33:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  06:05:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In case y'all didn't notice, we now have excerpts from this tome.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  06:12:36  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

The Olin Gisir are a PrC. So there are more than one of them - the wording does make it seem like this Olin character is pretty interesting, though!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 03 Feb 2005 06:13:47
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  06:21:35  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still blaming the Drow for the 5 Crown wrs and not explaining the source of the Dark Disaster. So much for available explaination of the Crown Wars, though I can hope for some more balanced information in that chapter.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  06:30:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't judge a chapter by a timeline.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  07:00:28  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Don't judge a chapter by a timeline.

-- George Krashos

I indicated I did not know the chapter, was however commenting on the time line setting a tone.

The timeline indicates the gold claimed to be related to the black and green (that other history indicates wanted to be away from the gold in the first place), then goes on to admit that the gold started to harress trade routes of the black and green, nothing more. However the black assassians which certainly were not caught, started the bloody wars. The timeline implies an outline that appears to be one sided. The timeline chooses not to explain about the Dark Disaster, but knows about assassins and secert worship of the slime god.

I do hope the chapter does include the greys invading the Southern forests of the black which is the most likely cause that in time lead to the Crown Wars. The timeline outline offered however does not appear to indicate this at all.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  07:10:53  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Umm correct me if Im wrong but wasnt the Border Forest seperated from Comanthor by Drow Wizards starting a massive fireswith the Fire Spider spells?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4686 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  07:19:36  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Umm correct me if Im wrong but wasnt the Border Forest seperated from Comanthor by Drow Wizards starting a massive fireswith the Fire Spider spells?

So the black used fire, in Second Crown war IIRC. Besides it was the Wizards not the whole race.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  08:50:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then it would appears we have a Realm Lore inconcistency

"Meanwhile, far to the northwest of the Elven Court, the sylvan elf civilization of Rystall Wood was a wild, carefree realm in what is now the Border Forest. Though Rystall Wood survived for many centuries, little physical evidence of its existence remains, since the sylvan elves built few permanent structures.............

The meteor strike touched off fires that destroyed a vast swath of forest, cutting off Rystall Wood from the rest of the Cormanthor. Most of the survivors migrated to Semberholme or Jhyrennstar."

Meteors or Drow Wizards?

LEPF vs MOF

I am happy to see that the Sundering has returned to the FR timeline

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Durak
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  10:08:59  Show Profile  Visit Durak's Homepage Send Durak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure what caused the fire factually.
But some history is written on rumours. Maybe one rumour was Drow wizards, and another rumour was meteors. Depending on your outlook, you can take one as true.

Or maybe a Drow wizard called down some flaming meteors. :)
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  10:52:56  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rumours are for Players

DMs should get the truth

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  11:17:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Then it would appears we have a Realm Lore inconcistency

"Meanwhile, far to the northwest of the Elven Court, the sylvan elf civilization of Rystall Wood was a wild, carefree realm in what is now the Border Forest. Though Rystall Wood survived for many centuries, little physical evidence of its existence remains, since the sylvan elves built few permanent structures.............

The meteor strike touched off fires that destroyed a vast swath of forest, cutting off Rystall Wood from the rest of the Cormanthor. Most of the survivors migrated to Semberholme or Jhyrennstar."

Meteors or Drow Wizards?

LEPF vs MOF

No, we don't have a Realmslore inconsistency. Cormanthyr (p.33) clearly states that the fall of Uvaeren and the Twelve Nights of Fire causes Rystall Wood to become a separate forest in -5000 DR.

The Spiderfires in -2439 DR (Cormanthyr, p.34) widens the cleared lands between Rystall Wood and Cormanthyr.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  11:31:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The timeline indicates the gold claimed to be related to the black and green (that other history indicates wanted to be away from the gold in the first place), then goes on to admit that the gold started to harress trade routes of the black and green, nothing more. However the black assassians which certainly were not caught, started the bloody wars. The timeline implies an outline that appears to be one sided. The timeline chooses not to explain about the Dark Disaster, but knows about assassins and secert worship of the slime god.

I do hope the chapter does include the greys invading the Southern forests of the black which is the most likely cause that in time lead to the Crown Wars. The timeline outline offered however does not appear to indicate this at all.

Hmmm, you seem to be an Ilythiiri apologist. Everything in the Lost Empires timeline is from the Cormanthyr accessory, although due to space constraints it wasn't copied verbatim into LE.

Before the Crown Wars, the Ilythiiri did thwart the unification of the green and moon elf realms of Thearnytaar, Eiellur and Syorpiir by use of spies and assassins. These four realms skirmished and fought for millenia before Aryvandaar kicked off the Crown Wars with its annexation of Miyeritar. So to be clear, the Ilythiiri were not choir boys and certainly not innocent parties to the developments that occured.

Ilythiir and Aryvandaar were mirror images of each other: power hungry, arrogant and with an "end justifies the means" attitude.

Oh and the 'grey invasion of the Southern Forests of the black' occurred in -11450 DR: The Sable Wars. This was AFTER Ilythiir had destroyed Syorpiir by fire in -11600 DR. It was this action of the Ilythiiri that prompted the moon and green elven attempted invasion of the dark elf realm of Ilythiir.

I'd suggest you give the timeline and accompanying discussion of elven history in the Cormanthyr accessory a good read. It'll clear up a lot of stuff.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  11:39:26  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah fair enough (I wasnt aware of the earlier event)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2005 :  15:27:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice to see the elfblades made it in this time and that lore is included in their descriptions as well as details on how a player can end up wielding one when not using his/her moonblade.

The art for the blades was a nice surprise as well. Thanks WR for giving the heads up about this. Although you lose bonus points for y'all.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000