Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Lost Empires of Faerun contents page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  20:38:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Im not sure I agree with WOTC view that LOEF is a PLAYERS book (The article was called 10 reasons for PLAYERS to buy LEOF) No players book should have monster stats in it

From WotC prespective, every player should buy every book even those that include monster stats. There are more players then there are DMs.

Besides perhaps a player might want to play one of those monsters as a PC so need to know the base stats *wink*

Yes, knowing the stats of something never saw before is mega gaming if the player uses the Out of Game Knowledge. Some DMs handle this by changing discriptions some. A black ooze might appear to be green, and so on. The dogface small humuniod might be a goblin, instead of a kobold (not the best example because the low level should be encountered fairly quickly) as ways to defeat the abuse of player knowledge magically allowing the PCs to correctly guess at the best type of attack, defense, etc.

Edited by - Kentinal on 26 Jan 2005 22:58:49
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  20:49:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Im not sure I agree with WOTC view that LOEF is a PLAYERS book (The article was called 10 reasons for PLAYERS to buy LEOF) No players book should have monster stats in it

I look at all those ten reasons' articles as just marketing. Regardless of whether or not LOEF ends up being considered by fans as a players book or not, WOTC most likely hopes sales are helped by calling it such.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  21:29:47  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, like City of the Spider Queen was a something all players needed to buy.

I mean really, not for knothing by Lost Empires isn't something I'm going to rush out and buy because ALL the campaigns I've ever played were in "current" time periods. I hate to say it, but I've only ever played in 2 epic "campaigns" and 1 of them was a 3 day, 14 hours a day, playing beign of epic proportion, that started at level 15. Haven't touched the ELH since and probably never buy one.

I can't see myself using this book either.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  22:42:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah but Sir Urza it IS a book set in the here and now - so it can help your gaming campaigns in the modern Realms. It showcases the legacies of these ancient empires and is chock full of realmslore and dates, dates, dates. It updates Netheril greatly, gives some more detail on the whys and wherefores of the Crown Wars (just why did the elves hack into each other?), more stuff on Imaskar, and reveals more than a bit of hitherto undetailed or secret 'stuff' about the Realms. For the crunch-masters, there are the aforementioned look at mythals (perfect for your home defence needs), a discussion of Mystra's Ban, epic spellcasting and "spells higher than 9th level", new spells and feats (of course) and some very powerful NPCs. Plus, a whole heap more. You don't want to buy this? Sheesh, there's just no pleasing some people.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  22:57:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

I noticed this part

quote:

plus instructions for those who want take action to bring them (dead gods) back to Faerűn.

That should make many players happy who always want to bring back certain deities.

I'm more interested in the info on the dead deities -- I could care less about bringing them back.

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

I look at all those ten reasons' articles as just marketing.

As do I. It's just cheap self-promotion.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  23:03:53  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah, humbug... a book for Players, a book for DMs. How does one expect DM's to start off, without having seen the side of playing first... And any gamer worth his salt can handle the disinction between Player material and DM material when it comes to playing the game.

And besides, the most important part of the book is what George is hinting at. The fluff & crunch (no not the doggies) and the dates, dates and more dates. That is at least for me the biggest value add.

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 26 Jan 2005 23:05:00
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  23:13:02  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

(just why did the elves hack into each other?)

I thought we know that already.

Detail might be useful however my scan indicates the following.

The Greys tried to take lands from the Black.

The Gold tried to take control of lands of the Green and Black.

The Greys backed the Gold effort.

The Black did not like this and sought defense/revenge.

Tactics used by all sides subject to question. I am sure by the end of it no race could claim the moral high ground, it is more uncertain as to which of the races had the moral high ground at the start of the wars.

Edited by - Kentinal on 26 Jan 2005 23:17:12
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  23:29:52  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Bah, humbug... a book for Players, a book for DMs. How does one expect DM's to start off, without having seen the side of playing first...

Some were forced to start out as DMs, alas I have seen a trend that new players are recuited as DMs so that the DMs can become players. Of course the created DMs certainly need to read the PHB as well as the DMG.

quote:
And any gamer worth his salt can handle the disinction between Player material and DM material when it comes to playing the game.

Alas some players and DMs are not worth thier salt, both play to win as opsoed to playing a never ending game.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  03:03:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I'm more interested in the info on the dead deities -- I could care less about bringing them back.

Of course you're not interested...yet. I can see a new poll one day at Candlekeep. Which dead deity do you wish would return to the Realms?

quote:

As do I. It's just cheap self-promotion.

Every company does self-promotion. I'm not going to knock WOTC for the article no matter how amusing it is to read some of the writing within it. Interesting, is the author of this article the same one who writes the FR adventures that seem so generic?
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  03:46:10  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In a few more days there should be a 10 Reason for DMs to Buy LEOF, they have done a Players and a DMs reason for every book since they started those articles.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  04:09:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Yeah, but who manipulated and influenced first the Ilythiiri and then the Vyshaan of Aryvandaar ...?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  04:23:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah, but who manipulated and influenced first the Ilythiiri and then the Vyshaan of Aryvandaar ...?

-- George Krashos

Well the surface Elves say that the Drow manipulated the Vyshaan. The winners however tend to write the history. It strikes me strage that the Ilythiiri would plan to work to their own demise. There again, plans do not often go as well as they were planed.

It would be interesting to discover a hidden force that doomed the inocent and guilty equally alike. However I suspect the histrory will not provide much information on this. Maybe a creator race was behind it all or the Dragons, Lolth controling (at least for a time) Elven destiny certainly a canidate as well.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  11:08:59  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

Well the surface Elves say that the Drow manipulated the Vyshaan. The winners however tend to write the history. It strikes me strage that the Ilythiiri would plan to work to their own demise. There again, plans do not often go as well as they were planed.

It would be interesting to discover a hidden force that doomed the inocent and guilty equally alike. However I suspect the histrory will not provide much information on this. Maybe a creator race was behind it all or the Dragons, Lolth controling (at least for a time) Elven destiny certainly a canidate as well.

Gold Elves have pretty much always tried to be pure as newly fallen snow when it comes to the Crown Wars and the Dark Elves being driven off to the Underdark.
Guess they don't like what they see when they look in the mirror.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  14:52:09  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good Lord will this month ever END?!?!?!?

Must have book now!! Need for campaign!!!

Go to Top of Page

edbonny
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  20:01:25  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elf_Friend

Good Lord will this month ever END?!?!?!?

Must have book now!! Need for campaign!!!

Does anyone know when LEOF is coming out? I am rather excited about it, too.

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  20:12:15  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edbonny

Does anyone know when LEOF is coming out? I am rather excited about it, too.

- Ed

"Release Date February 2005"

Edited by - Kentinal on 27 Jan 2005 20:13:28
Go to Top of Page

edbonny
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  20:45:29  Show Profile  Visit edbonny's Homepage Send edbonny a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]

You wouldn't happen to have a day to pair up with that month, would you?

- Ed
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  20:53:10  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even Amazon does not yet have actual release date.
Nor could I find it of WotC site, though a date might be there someplace.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2005 :  23:00:59  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im going to ring WOTC Australia today and see if i can wrangle a release date out of them

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  05:47:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Im going to ring WOTC Australia today and see if i can wrangle a release date out of them

I'll be interested to hear what they say to you.

The reply I received from them about six days ago suggested that the actual release date in Australia was still rather nebulous...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  05:52:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if they'd ever answer there bloody phone Id tell you what they said!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  11:17:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

if they'd ever answer there bloody phone Id tell you what they said!

I can tell you what they'll likely say... "Hold, please!"

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  11:20:26  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edbonny

quote:

[quote]

You wouldn't happen to have a day to pair up with that month, would you?

- Ed

I'll give my Local Game Store a call later when they are open in about 7-8 hours and ask.
They get material on release day, provided it doesn't get lost in shipping. Apparently WotC is afraid of people selling items before release date, so ship it same day on the release day.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  11:25:16  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Tin Soldiers (a store in Sydney) supplier the release date for Lost Empires of Faerun is the 18th of Feb

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  14:46:24  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Tactics used by all sides subject to question. I am sure by the end of it no race could claim the moral high ground, it is more uncertain as to which of the races had the moral high ground at the start of the wars.

That was EXACTLY my intention when I wrote the sketchy history of the Crown Wars back in 1995/1996--Despite what they would have you believe, Absolutely No Elf Can Claim Moral Superiority About These Activities. Any attempts to explain away what was done is spin-doctoring. However, it's been so many millennia and with so much spinning done by every subrace for every reason under the sun (or under the dark, as it were), I truly doubt there's any power other than the Seldarine themselves (and maybe a few select high priests) who might have a handle on what truly went down.

Make no mistake--the Ilythyri were bad news and many of them (but certainly not ALL their subrace) deserved the fate they got. It's also assumed legend/history that the Vyshaan were bad news as well, though not among certain stubborn factions of gold elves.

By the by, I LOVE the fact that Rich Baker refers to them as the Vyshaanti in his books--He didn't even know of the Doctor Strange homage until I gleefully thanked him for it. (For those who aren't comics goobers like me or Wooly, he's the Sorcerer Supreme of the Marvel Comics Universe and the Vyshanti are among the powers he invokes to get his spells.)

In any case, the "truth" of what happened around the Crown Wars is (or at least should be) nebulous and cagey, allowing you and yours to build the campaign the way you wish AND have the backstory/legends that let you use/view elves however you wish. Are some of them still flagellating themselves with guilt over the Crown Wars or the Fall of Myth Drannor? Are they trying to get back to what they see as their rightful place? Are they willfully ignoring historical record in favor of their personal takes on how they see history? Does anyone else care about this beyond the elves themselves?

Looking forward to this product, but also knowing that most of the pieces are already in play. What y'all lack are dates or specifics, and those are always nice.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 28 Jan 2005 14:53:17
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  16:13:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

According to Tin Soldiers (a store in Sydney) supplier the release date for Lost Empires of Faerun is the 18th of Feb

I've found my old email sent from WotC Australia.

In it, they mention that their "best" possible guess for the Australia release of LEoF would be around the 19th or 20th of February. So, it doesn't look too far off the mark... .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  16:22:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

(For those who aren't comics goobers like me or Wooly, he's the Sorcerer Supreme of the Marvel Comics Universe and the Vyshanti are among the powers he invokes to get his spells.)

And I feel like an even bigger goober now for even mentioning this, but those collective of powers are spelt "Vishanti" . I didn't mean this as a challenge Steve... it's just that -

Well, the only reason I posted this was to direct interested parties to a site that contains some fascinating facts on the Vishanti, taken from the three volumes of the Dr. Strange comic series.

And now, back to the Realmslore...

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  16:57:34  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
And I feel like an even bigger goober now for even mentioning this, but those collective of powers are spelt "Vishanti" . I didn't mean this as a challenge Steve... it's just that -

Well, the only reason I posted this was to direct interested parties to a site that contains some fascinating facts on the Vishanti, taken from the three volumes of the Dr. Strange comic series.

KEWL!

I'd never heard of/seen this site, so the link is much appreciated!

SES

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  22:44:36  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aye, confirmed it with my Local Gaming Store. The 18th of Feb is release.
Curse you WotC, you are making us wait on purpose.
I think all Realms products should be released on the 1st Friday of the Month of release.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  00:51:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

Aye, confirmed it with my Local Gaming Store. The 18th of Feb is release.
Curse you WotC, you are making us wait on purpose.
I think all Realms products should be released on the 1st Friday of the Month of release.

Actually, that date is better as a release date, for me. I've not got much spare cash this pay period, but I'll be fine on the next one (except for the money I've got to drop for Valentine's Day ).

And there's three other gaming supplements I want that are coming out any day now. They're not Realms supplements, but I think The Sage could guess at least a couple of them.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000