Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Kaladorm's Campaign Journal
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2005 :  00:11:43  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Note: This is for reference as to what's happening in the campaign and for the enjoyment of others either in or out of the game. Some of the transcripts here will not have been recieved by all players in the game (such as private conversations between characters/npcs) but will be posted here

The village of Hap. Small and unremarkable except to those who live there. This tiny village is set just under the peak of Haptooth Hill, where many adventurers dare to travel. More widely though Hap lies south-east of Essembra, the only settlement of any size in Battledale.
The village is a peaceful place, and it is clear the centre of activity is a converted barn. From snatches of conversation between the locals one can garner that this is a shrine to the Morninglord, the place known as Lathander’s Open Hand. A place for schooling, worshiping and general meetings.
It is the 1st Mirtul, just before midday. The village going about it’s business has the languid pace shattered when a bell inside the temple begins to toll with some urgency. Villagers rush to the shrine and a woman steps out of temple, trying to keep calm but still appearing quite troubled. The gathered group of villagers outside identify her as Dawnmaster Cathalandra Dovaer.
The Dawnmaster is a gentle looking woman, wearing simple no-nonsense clerical vestments, and displaying Lathanders symbol openly on a large medallion hung around her neck. She smiles lovingly at her flock, before making her announcement.
During this time a tall elf has appeared from the only place to stay in the town, the Millery Inn. He has long white hair that appears to have a silvery-blue sheen in the sunlight. He clutches a worn leather-bound book in his hand and stands silently, looking at the Dawnmaster intently. At his side strolls another elf, this one appearing quite lithe and graceful, and having spent a few nights away from civilisation (though none the worse for wear for it).
A cloaked and hooded creature, (possibly a female for those with keen eyes, though she is extremely tall) stands at the far edge of the crowd, observing the situation. A few villagers notice peculiar things about her and look concerned, starting to tug on the clothing of friends to get their attention, but the urgentness of the call quickly distracts their attention again, and all go back to waiting for Cathalandra to deliver the important news.
At Cathalandra’s side is a tall and striking young man. He also appears troubled at the news but a fierce determination burns in his eyes. He also displays the symbol of the Morninglord. Cathalandra speaks.
“Good folk of the village of Hap, as you know The Light of Lathander Mornstar, Stellaga Brightstar, had decreed that the treasured artifact of our village, The Blood of Lathander, should be transferred temporarily to Essembra in the hope of attracting more patrons of the Morninglord. It would then return here, where it has almost been forgotten, for us to bathe in Lathander’s radiance, and remember his great courage in protecting us all from the evil of the time.
“It grieves me to say that The Blood of Lathander has not reached its destination. It pains me to trouble you good folk with this problem, for I know it will greatly concern you. The guidance of the Morninglord will as ever be with us, but I need to call upon your aid in retrieving this blessed artifact. Please any of you that can help, come to me after the Highsun service in the shrine.
“Lathander’s most blessed time is almost upon us. There will be a short prayer to Lathander inside the shrine now, and then I urge you to go about your daily business. May the Morninglord shine bright upon you and your hearts.”
Cathalandra closes her eyes and bows her head slightly, whether in weariness or blessing is not obvious. She then returns inside to the shrine to prepare, the young man at her side.”

Mod Edit: Scroll no longer "sticky" at Kal's request

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Feb 2007 11:22:19

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2005 :  12:48:40  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The adventurers enter the shrine.

The inside of the shrine seems largely inappropriate for housing an artifact of Lathander. There are just a few cots and pews, and the altar. However it is clear this is a well visited place in Hap, and well loved by the villagers.
The folk in the shrine often glance up in the air above the altar during Cathalandras service and look down again as if in mourning.

After the service you see the Dawnmaster standing speaking in hushed tones to the bright young man also of the Morninglords faith that you encountered earlier.

As you approach Cathalandra looks a little shocked at the sight of the tall female, but then disregards it and looks incredibly weary. She says to you
"This has been a most trying day. I leave you in the able hands of Daleson Morningstar. He is a faithful of Lathander and will tell you everything you need to know"
At this she inclines her head to you all and takes her leave.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  12:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Lathanderite wears a worried look on his face as he turns to address you. He gazes at each of you intensely in turn before speaking. “Good,” he says, “the Morninglord has blessed us. I, as Dawnmaster Cathalandra has said, am Daleson Morningstar. I am an able soldier of the Light given a task to perform for my god. I welcome you to join me in this task. Please walk with me and I will tell you my quest.”

Daleson strides forward and circles the temple as he speaks. “The envoy of soldiers in the service of the Morninglord is missing. They carried with them a powerful artifact, the Blood of Lathander. While nothing is confirmed, their failure to arrive in Essembra is most troubling. I am setting off within the hour to locate the missing envoy and their charge so it may find its way to Essembra, and would be grateful and honored if you would join me in this mission. What say you?”
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  10:47:31  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I say aye," replies the tall, platinum-haired elf. "I shall help you in whatever way I am able."

Valanwé turns his head slowly, to his left and to his right. He sees that the others present are still pondering their responses to the Lathandrite's request, and continues, raising his hand in an Elven gesture of peace: "I am Valanwé, son of Ichthalien, and though the rest of my character will no doubt be revealed during the time we spend together, I thought giving you something to call me might be useful..."

He pauses again briefly for thought, and runs his thumb over the golden clasp of his spellbook as he does so, tracing the outline of the dragon engraved thereon.

"I have been staying at the Millery Inn," he says to Daleson. "I will require some short time to gather my things, and arrange my affairs - I hope that that will be acceptable?"

Daleson:

I... we leave within the hour. More than enough time I think. Oh, and I thank you for any help you may lend to this quest.

Valanwé:

"Good," says Valanwé. "I shall attend to those things when our meeting is concluded."

He paused, considering what the potential reaction from his roommate might be, then turned to him: "What say you, friend?"
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  10:50:04  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As the Elf waits for an answer from the other, the cloaked figure lays
down the hood of her cloak. "I would be honored to help. I am known
as Caylith. I have recently arrived and would be glad to offer my
services in the Morninglord's cause. Can you tell us anything more?"
Her voice is low and scratchy.

Daleson:

"Thank you Caylith," Daleson replies. He gives the half-dragon a small, knowing nod having seen the goodness in her.

"I know little more. The artifact in question has been protected here mainly through its obscurity. The Morninglord's temple in Essembra sought to bring more Dalesmen into the Light, and so requested the honor of holding the Blood of Lathander for a time. The last place that the envoy was seen was near Arncar's Manor up Rauthauvyr's Road."
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  17:53:42  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not seen by the other characters but entered here for completeness

A cloaked figure slips away from the crowd of others who enter the shrine
and follows Cathalandra as she exits the room. Once out of sight of the
others, he removes his hood and inclines his head, offering a swift 'Well
met.' He reaches inside the lapel of his undershirt to reveal a small pin in
the shape of a crescent moon and stars. 'I will be willing to aid your
quest, should you wish for my help'.

"I see you are one of those who harp". Cathalandra relaxes a little.
"This greatly reassures me, in the hands of the capable Daleson
Morningstar, and with the Harpers as well as the Morninglord watching
over us, I have no doubt we will see this precious artifact safely
returned. Be wary though, I fear this is more at work here than a
simple theft, but I do not mean to trouble you with such matters. Go
now, and return swiftly. May Lathander ever shine on you."

Edited by - Kaladorm on 28 Mar 2005 18:57:30
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  18:53:32  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
During the course of the conversation, Valanwé sits down, still paying
attention to what is being said, and listens attentively. As the
conversation moves away from his concern or interest, he opens the book on
his lap to one of the middle pages, and stares at the magical writing on the
page in front of him.

"Draconic was never so annoying," he muses to himself. He looks up to check
the progress of the conversation, finds it still, as before, irrelevant, and
returns to his thoughts.

He runs his right index finger down the side of the book, discharging
crackles of blue lightning into the air as he does so, before 'earthing'
himself on a brass bookstand nearby, purely for the entertainment value. A
loud bang occurs when the single spark of energy flies from his right hand
to the bookstand. He smiles to himself, releasing his grip from the
bookstand (which remains undamaged), and falls into his own memory for a
while.

He paused for a few minutes before getting up, and returning his thoughts to
those in the room around him. He approaches Daleson:

"Well," remarks Valanwé, "if that's everything, I shall clear up my business
here, and meet you _where_ in half an hour?"

Daleson replies.
"We shall meet here since this is the location from which my brethren left with the artifact. Oh, and please do not damage the temple. I have a feeling we should save our energy and resources for the road ahead." Daleson gives a curt nod to Valanwé as the sorcerer leaves. He calls after him and the others, "One hour, no more!" before turning to attend the priestess.

Caylith nods at Daleson's words and turns to leave the temple.

Edited by - Kaladorm on 29 Mar 2005 02:43:50
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  18:54:33  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Additional information from Valanwé, not seen by other players but shown here as an insight into his character, as part of the above post.

<SNIP>

... and stares at the magical writing on the page in front of him.

He reads over the text of Ball Lightning for the third time that morning.
Scroll to book, no problem. Book to conscious thought - no problem.
Conscious thought to memory - and that's just where it wouldn't stay. He
didn't know which was the most frustrating - not being able to cast the
spell in the first place, or having it available, and not being able to cast
it.

"Draconic was never so annoying," he muses to himself...

</SNIP>

<SNIP>

... and falls into his own memory for a while:

It was the first trick he'd learnt, since having the power inside him or
being born - whichever came first. When he started, they'd thought he was a
sorceror - it wouldn't have been anything unusual if he had been. The first
time had been when he was angry - he'd felt it as a child, become frustrated
with a situation, and run away and hid. He found that if he concentratred
hard enough, he could create this effect from thought alone - harmless,
ineffectual energy, that spat from his hands - it didn't do anything - it
was just there. As he'd mastered the art of magic more formally though, he
found that he didn't need anger to 'perform' the trick, though it still
occasionally performed itself when he was in a rage.

He paused for a few minutes before getting up...

</SNIP>
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2005 :  18:56:26  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unseen by other characters

Valanwé pushed open the heavy iron door of the Millery Inn, and entered the bar area, which was strangely quiet, given what he had been used to trying to sleep against. A few patrons sat around in ones and twos in secluded coners - being a fairly average sun Elf, he looked, as usual, overdressed. He approached the bar, and waited to be served:

'Hail to ye, elf.' The bartender gives a friendly greeting.

'Would ye be wanting yer usual?'

"No," replies Valanwé, not unkindly. "I wonder if I could have my horse, the bill for myself and my friend, and two bottles of strong wine for a hard journey?"

"Why of course master, give me just a moment" The Barman turns to face the other end of the room.
"Tessa!" He hollers. A young attractive barmaid comes over, with long curly brown hair, ample bosom, and a smile on her face.
"Would ye be so kind as to fetch our friend's horse from the stables?"

"Ahh no," interrupts Valanwé, beckoning to Tessa to wait for him. "If you're willing, I'll save you the job - if you can show me the way?"

"Of course master" Tessa flashes Valnwé a smile. "Follow me roun' th' back, I'm sure ye'll see we treated him well. Lively one that horse"

With that done the barman turns back to Valanwé.
"Now ye stayed here a week, and yer friend a few days less. With the few drinks ye both had, why don't we call it an even gold piece?"

"One second befre ye go master elf" calls the barman, "Ye said you had a hard journey ahead of ye. Might I ask where it is yer goin'? If ye're thinkin' to be helping Cassondra mayhap I can give ye something meself to assist ye."

"That's very kind of you," remarks Valanwé. "Indeed I am hoping to be of some assistance to Calathandra - but first..." He rummages in his purse, tied at his belt, and brings out his hands with the sound of the chink of metal. He takes the barman's hand, and closes it around the two platinum pieces he has just retrieved. "You know we drunk more than that," he whispers, leaning in, and smiling at the barman. "So thanks," he continues. "I have been very comfortable here."

"Well that's awful kind of you. Here let me get you something in return, I'd been saving it fer a special occasion" He rummages around in the back room for what seems to be four or five minutes. Tessa starts to look irritated and impatient and glances back to the few patrons in the room whose glasses are looking close to empty.

The barman returns and present Valanwé with a clear glass bottle of wine. "Elverquisst! Right from the elven homelands. I hope ye enjoy this master elf. Why not share it with your companions one night and let them know how good this stuff really is, I hope it brings you much pleasure!"

"Thank you kindly," replies the Elf. "I'm sure I shall enjoy it - perhaps I'll come back when this is all over, and we can have another drink? And thank you again - I wasn't lying - I've been very comfortable." Valanwé steps back from the bar and smiles, and they look at each other once more.

He bows briefly and scurries off into the backroom again, leaving Valanwé alone with Tessa.
"C'mon then master elf, lets be gettin' yer horse". She turns to leave. Valanwé follows Tessa through the back of the bar, and outside to the stables.

Tessa opens the stable door, inside is a single white stallion, which whinnies at the sight of Valanwé, pushing gently against the stable door with its body, and against Valanwé with it's head.
"Well if'n that's all master, I must be getting back inside, These drinks don't serve themselves!"

"Thank you, Tessa", replies the Elf, running his hand down the side of the horses face. "Thank you for all of your help, now, and during my stay - it is much appreciated. I'm sure I shall come back to visit soon."

"Well it was mighty grand meeting such a nice elf I must say. I only ever did meet the one other and she weren't nice at all... That haughty, dark skinned..." Tessa clenches her fists, "She enraptured me employer though, poor old Bernards been all funny since then" She looks behind her quickly, nervously, then smiles at Valanwé. "I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me. Safe travels, kind elf". At that Tessa turns to leave swiftly, not giving any chance for a response.

"Wait!" Valanwé calls back at her. "I've forgotten to ask you for a bag of feed for Arcanen - could you just help me with that quickly?"

Edited by - Kaladorm on 29 Mar 2005 02:44:46
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2005 :  01:21:22  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Valanwé sighs, and leaves his horse again to return to the bar. Entering, he
approaches, and waits for Tessa to serve him.

Tessa continues to serve the other patrons in the bar.
Bernard the barkeep comes over to Valanwé and says 'I thort you was leavin'
us? Shouldn't you get going after that relic?'

"Indeed," replies Valanwé. "Though I realised I had forgotten to do two
things. I need a bag of feed for my horse, if you can help me with that -
and I wondered if I might just say thank you to Tessa too? She has after
all, been very attentive during my stay - and I wouldn't be much of a man if
I didn't offer my thanks to her. Perhaps I could wait until she's free, just
to do that, and then I shall be on my way?"

'Well the horse feed is in the stables with yer horse. Ye paid me so well ye
c'n take what ye need from there. As fer Tessa she can make up her own mind.
But don't ye be keeping her long, she has work to do'
Bernard wanders into the back room shaking his head

Valanwé moves to one end of the bar, and waits until all the other patrons
have been served, and Tessa has a free moment.

Tessa finishes serving the other patrons, seeing there is no one else left
to serve and Bernard is busy, she comes to stand behind the bar and look at
Valanwé
'Yes? What is it you want? The horse is ready'

"Well," says Valanwé softly. "There were two things. The first is that I
wanted to say how appreciative I have been of your hospitality - so thank
you. I said as much to Bernard - but I have been so comfortable here, and
much of that is down to you, that I wanted to say it to you in person."

'Thank you for yer kind words'

"Not at all," replies Valanwé, smiling kindly at her. "The second thing -
well - it's just a simple question before I go really. Have no fear - I'm
not about to ask you out, or propose to you - you're an attractive lass to
be sure, but I think it would be a bit forward..."

Tessa smiles briefly, clearly used to that sort of remark

"Also, there's the hundred-odd year age gap, but I should get to the point."
He pauses, considering his words carefully: "Now," he continues, "Firstly,
please forgive me for being nosey - it's not my intention. You may however
know, that I am going to be part of the group which hopes to aid Daleson
Morningstar - if you don't - that's where I'm headed when I leave this
place. Something you said outside worried me though. You mentioned that
another Elf was here? I wonder if you could tell me anything more, on the
off chance that it might be important? If I might also say - you obviously
care about Bernard a great deal - if there was anything that you were
willing to tell me, perhaps I might be able to help him too. Obviously, it's
your choice, and I certainly wont force you to say anything you don't want
to - but it just occurred to me that the two things might be related..."

'Well.....' She looks to see if Bernards about. 'I s'pose since ye've been
so nice already... There was another one, came by about 2 months back. She
didn't stay long but she must have been an elf. Like I said I haven't seen
many but she was right graceful, had an air about her ye wouldn't get on an
ordinary person. Her eyes weren't nearly so strange as yours though, forgive
the offence, and her skin weren't like yours either, not pale and fair but a
darker colour'

"No offence taken," smiles Valanwé, laughing quietly. "Please continue, if
you can."

'Tha's all I know, she didn' stay long. But Bernards been a bit funny since,
no longer as cheery and keeps himself to himself. He's right nice to the
paying customers still, but I know he's different'

"May I ask whether you think he would talk about it, were I to enquire?"

'I doubt it, like I said he keeps himself to himself. He won' talk to me
about it why should he talk to a stranger?'

"A fair point," remarks Valanwé. He rummages in his purse for three gold
pieces: "Please don't think I'm buying you off, or paying for the
information," he says, "though I _am_ very grateful." He places the gold
pieces on the bar for her: "This is just a little something for you that I
hope will make things a little easier. It is to say thank you for making my
life a little easier these past few days - you have been very kind, and it
is much appreciated. Fare the well, gentle woman." He smiles at her once
more, and returns to the stables.

Tessa nods her head in thanks then goes back to serving the other patrons

Valanwé quickly looks round the stables, and sees some bags of feed in the
corner. Having saddled Arcanen, he takes a medium sized bag, and places it
in one of the saddle bags. He packs up the remainder of his things, before
taking the horse's reins, and leading him at walking pace out of the
stables, and back towards the temple, which he enters, leaving the horse
temporarily tied up outside.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  02:46:27  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Valanwé re-enters the temple slowly, and quietly, having tied Arcanen, his
stereotypically white, and stereotypically speedy horse up outside. He sees
a man, who bears some resemblance to one of the personages present earlier,
sitting towards the front of the building. He sits down, some distance away,
on the other side of the church, just forward of the man he recognises.

After a few moments quiet reflection, he kneels forwards, holds his palms
out to his side, shuts his eyes and prays. [He offers thanks and respect to
Lathander in his temple, as his lips move silently in prayer, and then much
deeper, still and silent prayers to Corellon, whose symbol he bears,
tattooed on his shoulder.]

After some short time, he finishes, and returns to his sitting position, but
without looking around. He reaches down to his purse to retrieve a coin,
steps up and places the gold piece on the altar silently, before turning to
see whether anyone else has arrived.

Seeing no-one else present, he approaches the man who sits waiting, and
holds out a hand in greeting: "Peace to you friend," he says. "Might I ask -
did I see you here before?"

Selm initially shows no sign of having noticed the elf entering the temple
but a close observer would have seen that his whole posture changed slightly
and that he was closely scrutinising the newcomer. Nodding his head slightly
in appreciation of the gift on the altar, he looks up to face the elf.

Standing up as the elf approaches, he rises and clasps the offered hand.
"Well met friend, indeed you did. Selmwell Fletwaral."

"A pleasure," remarks Valanwé, shaking hands. "Perchance you didn't hear my
basic introduction earlier - my name is Valanwé. If I might ask another
question - are you here to aid Daleson Morningstar, or does your purpose lie
elsewhere?"

"Aye, I'm here for the same purpose as yourself. A wizard of no small power
I gather?"

"Indeed a wizard," laughs Valanwé. He continues, smiling: "My power is not
mine to judge, however - though I suspect that until I tell Comrade
Morningstar that my little tricks earlier were harmless, he may think that
any power is too much. However, I will resolve that with him later." He
pauses for a moment, pondering, and looks down at his now entirely normal
hands: "Still - I would not presume to guess a fellow adventurer's path
(though I do not take offence at your doing so) - of what training are you,
friend?"

"I am of no 'training' as such. I am merely a follower of the Lord of
Tranquility, Eldath. I seek to restore the peace and balance." He smiles,
"And a life of travel amongst the beautiful Dales is not such a bad life,
not such a bad life at all."

"A very worthy objective, and to be respected," remarks Valanwé, not
ungeniunely. "And yes indeed - the Dales are beautiful, though I confess I
have seen little of their beauty, and much of their strife of late. To
travel is a wonderful thing, but to travel to war - that is something I
never enjoy...." He tails off, suddenly quiet for a moment, concealing his
hands, now sparking red lightning. After a moment, he continues, somewhat
bitterly: "Please forgive me. I have been in the north of late, but what's
done is done and cannot be changed." A further pause: "May I sit with you a
while" he asks, "until the others return?"

Selm raises an eyebrow at the mention of Valanwé's time in the North.
Deciding to see whether he could be goaded on the subject, he asks "You have
been in the North? Do tell me what strife has been happening there? Is it
something to do with Evereska? And by all means sit down."

"It is... difficult," replies Valanwé, slowly, having sat and attained
comfortable posture. "I fought at Evereska, against the Fey'ri. Of all the
battles I have seen, this was the bloodiest. Perhaps it was not the
'greatest' of conflicts, but 'brutal' does not even come close..."

"There was another battle at Evereska?" Selm sits forward rapidly, looking
shocked. He sighs, "It's only been a blink of an eye for the Tel Quessir
since the Phaerimm assault. I'm sorry to hear you have been suffering so."
As an afterthought he adds, "And please inform me what Fey'ri are, I've not
come across them."

"The Fey'ri are an abomination to the Elven race, may Corellon strike them
down!" replied Valanwé, unexpectedly finding himself raising his voice. "I'm
sorry," he says, continuing: "The Fey'ri are a half Demon, half Sun Elven
race, bred to strengthen one of the once great Elven houses, now fallen into
disrepute. What has passed, and what I have heard are likely two seperate
things; however, what I know, is that Sieveril sent a call to all able and
willing to join him at Evereska in the battle. I went, along with two of my
close friends, and we fought for days on end, beating wave after wave of
them back, until finally they could carry on no more. The battle was won,
but my friends were lost, (may their spirits rest in Arvandor for all
eternity). It is for them that I pray. I tell you though - there is nothing
harder than walking onto the field of battle to first face a corruption of
those that you love as your own, and then slaughter them mercilessly in the
name of 'good'. Still - it had to be done, else - Corellon forbid - Evereska
would have fallen, and another great star of the light of the Elves would
have dimmed."

Selm watches the elf's face as he finished his tale. Not wanting to break
the mood, he begins, "I am very sorry to hear that. Your people have
suffered so much, especially in recent times. Eldath's blessing on your
companions." After a pause for reflection, he adds to himself "Some stars
continue to shine though, may my Issinofil's light never dim," before
falling silent once more.

At this point, the door to the temple swings open, and Valanwé and Selm turn
their heads to see who enters.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  16:38:44  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Caylith finished her packing quickly and since has been patiently
waiting outside the temple with her horse until someone else returns.
Seeing the cloaked figure return, she reenters the temple, and looking
around moves toward the one she thinks is the cloaked figure who joined them earlier.

As the party prepares their mounts for their journey, Daleson saddles up first and addresses the group from his makeshift podium. "Well met to all of you again. May Lathander shine his presence on our jouney. We still have need to introduce ourselves, so I may make a roll call of sorts. I, by appointment, will lead us in our quest. My given name by my dwarven family is Daleson Morningstar. I AM a holy knight of Lathander, an experienced Dales fighter, and a minor healer in my faith. Please introduce yourselves so we may better understand your strengths.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2005 :  22:16:47  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking in his turn, Valanwé says: "I am Valanwé, as I have allready mentioned. My calling is to that of Wizardry, in which I have been trained and encouraged for the last hundred years by my father Icthalien, and my mother Nerith, largely in and around Evermeet." He pauses, briefly: "I hope that I shall be of some assistance to us all."
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2005 :  13:18:44  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At her moment, Caylith speaks in a deep husky voice. "I am Caylith
d'Varen. I am the daughter of the dragon, Justiariath and Caren of
the clan Varen. We are located in the mountains. I have only begun
to travel withing the foothills. My talents lie mainly in my sword,"
she pats it fondly, "as well as a type of magic. I. too, hope I will
be of some assistance in this journey."
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2005 :  22:59:27  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The formerly hooded figure acknowledges the others with a good natured
smile. "I'm Selmwell Fletwaral, I follow the gentle path trod by Eldath.
Well met to all of you."
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  11:30:42  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After a second uneventful day of travelling since leaving Hap, the sun has
almost vanished from sight and the light is failing. 'One more day of this
and we should be there by tomorrow sundown,' muses Selm. "I think we should
be stopping sooner rather than later," he pipes up. "Some of us were not
blessed with the ability to see well in the dark. Besides, I'm starving," he
adds with a wink. So saying, he pulls out a metal flask from his cloak and
takes a long swig of tea. Then, he whips it off and with a hushed word, it
expands to the size of a small tent.

Trahæarn ap Cathaoir replies
"As you say, not all of us have our sight tied to the rising and setting
sun. When time comes, I will keep watch until relieved."
Trahæarn slings his pack over a convenient branch, and sets about cleaning
and honing his longsword. In the waning light, it becomes more apparent the
brown dye placed in his elven-silvered hair wasn't an affectation, more
simple - though effective - camouflage.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2005 :  21:40:20  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Before everyone finishes unpacking," says Valanwé, "if I might make a
suggestion?"

He looks back at the group, and recieveing no immediate reaction, continues:
"Might take a minute or two - maybe ten, but see what you think..."

He turns and faces away from the group, towards a clearing on the other side
of the road, and raises his arms, two spheres of energy forming around his
hands, one a shining but deep blue, the other yellow. A light wind seems to
pick up from nearby as the spheres grow larger. He turns his hands over, so
that his palms face upwards, and the spheres float three or four inches
above them. He stands silent, deep in concentration.

After two or three minutes of silence, his lips begin to move in a
near-inaudible whisper as he chants over and over the words of the spell:
"Ectra mijs nonol éffana, ectra mijs nonol éffana..."

After perhaps another three minutes of chanting, he turns his hands inwards,
palm facing palm, and forces the spheres of energy together. A great light
is produced as they touch, and rippling pale green energy covers his body,
encasing it and discharging to the ground at his feet. His eyes also glow
green, and he continues the chant, at a much louder volume.

After a further fifteen seconds or so, he draws his hands into his chest
across his heart, and then, with a sweeping gesture he flings his arms
forward and shouts "Danach evo danach!!". Bolts of the same green energy fly
from each of his fingers and thumbs now split wide apart, apparently at
random as Valanwé holds his arms quite still. The bolts however, start to
trace the outline in three dimensions of a small stone cottage, and as the
spell progresses, more and more of it appears until finally the energy
fades, and standing in front of them is the completed building.

Valanwé lowers his hands, and rubs them together in front of him, sighing.
They still crackle with energy, as he turns to the group:

"I don't know about you lot," he remarks, somewhat playfully. "But that's
where I'm staying..."
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  02:49:10  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Caylith cocks her head sideways and looks at Valanwe, "Interesting...A
spell I assume? How long does it last? Is it fortifiable? How many
entrances does it have?" She stops suddenly realizing her questions
could be considered rude. "My apologies, sir...I have just never seen
such a spell."
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  01:13:39  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Indeed, a spell," replies Valanwé, smiling at Caylith. " 'Leomund`s Secure
Shelter' is the name I have learnt it by. It is fortifiable with anything
with which you might wish to fortify it, has one alarmed entrance and two
securable windows - and please, don't apologise."

Valanwé raises a hand, and beckons Caylith towards the door: "Feel free to
look around. Assuming my preparation and casting have been correct, you
should find chairs, beds and tables enough for all of us, a fireplace and a
desk. The doors and windows are locked magically, the chimney is barred, and
narrow, and the walls are just as they appear - solid stone. Relatively
defensible, I'd suggest. The horses can be tied up outside, round the back
of the cottage."

Valanwé approaches the door, unlocks it with a whispered word, and pushes
the door open.

"Please come in, all of you," he calls back to the group. "You are most
welcome..." He turns to Caylith and adds more quietly: "... at least for the
next fourteen hours or so, anyway. After that, it'll fade, and disappear -
but I should imagine we will have moved on by then. Watch out for the
servant though. He's entirely under my control, so you've nothing to fear -
but he is invisible - some of my previous guests have found this a little
disconcerting."

Valanwé enters the cottage, and looks around, inspecting his handiwork, and
finds it as expected. He stands and waits to see if the others will join
him.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2005 :  16:19:49  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Selm stands back and watches Valanwé work his magic, nodding appreciatively
at his skill. After he has finished his explanation to Caylith, and offers
it to the others, Selm begins, "It certainly does seem to be a very useful
thing to be able to call upon. Have you dwelt inside often? It's simply that
it strikes me as drawing attention to itself, has this ever been a problem?"
he adds, gesturing broadly outward. "I would be delighted to join you for a
meal but I'm afraid I will decline one of your beds. I will watch over the
horses and I prefer to sleep closer to nature anyway. Eldath will watch over
me, I assure you."
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2005 :  08:08:13  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Beautiful night, isn't it?" remarks Valanwé, standing just outside the
cottage many minutes later.

"Not so bad, no", says Selm from a tree branch somewhere above and to the
left of Valanwé. "Selûne is bright tonight."

"Indeed," replies Valanwé, looking up at him. "I always find coming out on a
clear night helps me to rest now. It's quite a while since I've been home -
I suppose there's some comfort to be had in that wherever you are, you
always see the same stars as the people waiting for your return. If only
they were mirrors! Then you could catch at least a fleeting glance at where
you came from - if only to remember."

Nodding sagely, Selm looks pensive for awhile before choosing to reply. "I
have always found solace under the stars. They are always there to remind
you, even when you can't see them." He pauses, before adding, "Especially
those than burn bright enough to create a lasting impression."

"A lasting impression?" asks Valanwé. "Of what star do you speak?"

A slight smile crosses his face. "Oh you know, people you meet, places you
visit. Some things are hard to forget. Your star, for instance, burns
passionately for the love of your people. Although," he pauses for breath,
"you seem to be something more or less than fully Tel'Quess, if you'll
pardon the expression."

"How can you tell?" asks Valanwé, smiling at him once again. "It is true -
several generations ago, new blood entered my family. To this day, I do not
know what it was, or from whence it came - but I do not (I think) have any
'unnatural' qualities about me - I must assume that it has little, or no
effect on my being. But still - might I ask - how could you tell?"

Grinning, Selm replies, "So I was right! Your eyes are just too golden if
that makes sense. I can't really explain it but I lived amongst the
Tel'Quessir for a few years and there was just something slightly different
about you that I couldn't quite work out." Idly scratching his head, he
continues, "It's not at all obvious by the way so I wouldn't worry about it,
and I won't be letting the whole of the Dales know about it. Issinofil
always said I'm good at seeing things others miss," he finishes with a
shrug.

"You are very observant," replies Valanwé. "It is strange though - I am the
only member of my family that I am aware of to have such eyes. And
Issinofil?" queries Valanwé. "You have mentioned what I might presume to be
a 'her', a couple of times now?"

"My partner," comes the simple reply

Valanwé nods his head in acknowledgement: "As yet, I have no companion in
this mortal coil. Having said that, unless my life is unexpectedly
terminated, which I certainly don't intend - I should have another four or
five hundred years to search for her..." He tails off, into his thought, and
then grins at Selm: "Here's hoping, eh?"

"Don't we all? But yes, I hope you find happiness."

"Well," says Valanwé. "I suppose I must rest. The cottage will have
dissappeared before I've read my spellbook at this rate..."

"Aye, rest well, my friend."

"You too," offers Valanwé. "Will you keep watch for yourself, or would you
like me to ask someone to come out later? I would offer myself, but I fear I
may be of less help tomorrow..."

"I'll be fine, but thanks for the offer."

"Then I shall bid you a pleasant night's rest. May Corellon watch over us
all."
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2005 :  19:30:33  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To Selm (and Elussien)

At about 3am you see 3 men standing just outside the house.
You cannot make any details out about them but the smaller man appears
to be the leader.
You also notice a shadowy humanoid shape in the woods behind the 3 men.

The men begin to talk and you can make out their conversation clearly.
"Davrel you sure this is the place? Only I thort they was supposed to
be campin' here and fas' asleep.Not holed up in some cottage"
The smaller man stays silent a second and then draws himself up.
"Of course it is, he said they'd be around here on this exact night,
all we had to do was catch them in their 'sleep'" He chuckles at this
as if having said something amusing. After no response from the other
two he continues.
"Well what are you waiting for? Time to go to work", he edges towards the door.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2005 :  16:23:02  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elussien watched these guys, knowing they weren't the smartest bunch or at least appeared as much. But they were intent on doing something to whomever was in that cottage, if there was anyone in there at all. He really didn't care what happened to the prey, but he was intent on disrupting Ronalds plans. What he really needed were answers. If these guys died he wouldn't know why Ronald wanted whoever was inside. As he thought about what the leader had said, he started to feel extremely uneasy about the situation. It would appear that they "knew" these people would be camping here, which lead to something that made his skin crawl.

He had to do something and do it quickly. As swiftly as possible, he made his way as close as he could, then layed down and waited. He coated the first bolt on his crossbow with his vial of carrior crawler juice and leveled it at the lead guy. If they planned on sneaking into that house he was gonna take down this guy so he could be questioned later.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  17:15:56  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are all awakened by a cry from Selm, calling the alarm. You
struggle to grab your things and move outside.
Meanwhile outside there are four men you do not recognise. One
viciously stabs at Selm, but misses, and Selm erects a shield of
divine protection around his person. The other man with the large
sword swings for Selm but finds he cannot make contact with his body.
From out of the bushes a crossbow bolt fires at the wiry man attacking
Selm. It makes contact with his thigh, and the man turns stiff and
unmoving.
The last burly man runs to where the shot came from and hits the
attacker viciously on the shoulder with his hammer.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  23:13:39  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The bolt lances through the air with sure fire accuracy and Elussien grins in triumph. That guy was gonna be his play thing after all was said and done. He was about to load another bolt when one of the attackers spots from whence the shot was fired and is quick to rush up on Elussien. So fast was the pace of attack that the man lands a nasty blow, making Elussien groan in agony. The pain soared through his body in waves and it was only through strong will and knowledge of impending death, that he was able to act.

"Look you fool..." all the while he spoke, he moved like a worm, twisting turning, angling his hand towards his sword. If he could only get it... "...I was hired by Ronald YOUR employer to take that leader of yours out! He's a spy, a rat, a FINK! LISTEN TO ME OR WE BOTH DIE!!!" He hoped this worked
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  23:14:51  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Patefac!" shouts Valanwé, sitting bolt upright in bed, and thanking his
stars that he hadn't chosen to sleep on the bottom bunk. A green hazy glow
appears around the handle of the front door, and there is a clank of metal
as lock is magically opened.

Sliding off the six foot high bunkbed as this happens, Valanwé grabs his
bow, and his quiver, and slings them over his back, and pauses only for a
moment to see how the others are doing.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2005 :  23:18:17  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elussien draws his short sword. The thug grunts in his response to his statement and continues to swing for him, but misses.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  10:20:27  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Selm steps away from the thug, out of range of his sharp sword, and utters a prayer to Eldath. A bright blast of divine white light shoots from his outstretched hands and slams into the man, leaving scorch marks.
Unperturbed by this the man strides forward and makes a vicious swing for Selm, his large sword cutting a wide gash across Selms chest but does not penetrate too deeply.
The leader of the group still stands unmoving.

Unarmored, Daleson grabs his shield and his morningstar, leaving his two-handed axe behind, and bolts from the door. He squares off against the nearest opponent and commands them "Leave now or we WILL be your death!"

Following suit, Caylith grabs her sword and rushes out of the building. Looking around she tries to determine if any of the attackers are not fighting with her compatriots.

Edited by - Kaladorm on 06 May 2005 00:02:54
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  00:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Selm again steps away from the brutal onslaught, and cries out loudly
for his beloved deity to aid his companions. With their spirits
bolstered they charge into battle a little more confident of their
actions.

Seeing Selm being hard pressed by the combatant, Caylith rushes to his
aid, and swings her sword at the man, the dark metal edge slicing a
handful of chain links from the armour and embedding itself in his
flesh. The small static shock from the weapon runs through the metal
armour, jerking the mans attention towards his attacker.

As the man turns, four globes of crackling energy fly towards him at
an astounding pace, and wrack his body with pain. One hits him on his
free arm, another catches his thigh, and two more thud into his chest.

Despite this severe beating he continues to turn towards Caylith. With
a mighty roar and amazing strength the man chops downwards heavily
with his sword. The blow presses through Cayliths guard and knocks her
attempted parry downwards, before continuing on to drive the massive
weapon into her collarbone. A loud crack issues forth across the
battlefield and she screams in pain, the scream sounding in part like
a wounded woman, and in part like an angry lizard hissing. The amazing
blow forces Caylith onto one knee and causes significant damage.

Across the battlefield Elussien still struggles with the large man
wielding a hammer and shield effectively. Realizing this guy was
either not impressed with his dramatic show of lying, or he was just
plain stupid. Probably the latter. Finally with his short sword in
hand, Elussien had to play this battle by ear. Nothing that had
transpired was planned, nor had he time to think of a devious demise
for the enemy. The thug was intent on taking his life and Elussien
planned to show him just how difficult that course of action could be.
Using the same tactics he had used earlier, he wormed his way about
along the ground but also made a swipe at the mans legs with the
deadly steel he held. The desperate lunge for the man fails, and
Elussiens sword embeds itself into the ground where the thug was
standing only moments before. With an evil laugh the man stares at
Elussien attempting to tug free his only apparent weapon before
commencing his attack.

Daleson charges over to assist the shadowy elf, struggling to hold his own against the large warrior. The thug notices this and shifts to the side slightly.

With one hand holding his shield up, and easily blocking the assault from Daleson, he swipes down with his hammer, and lands a crushing blow on Elussien's skull. His eyes roll back, and he sways unsteadily, momentarily stunned by the vicious blow. Blood begins to trickle down the left hand side of his face.

Trahæarn moves out of the door, and silently pads over to the bloody man desperately fighting for his life with Caylith and Selm. Calmly he draws his short sword and stabs it into the mans stomach. The thug's eyes go wide, and he then slumps forward onto his knees, clutching the embedded blade. Trahæarn then puts his boot onto the mans shoulder, and roughly shoves him off the end of his blade and onto the floor.

Edited by - Kaladorm on 06 May 2005 20:42:35
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  20:41:09  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elussien growls in vain as his blade bit deeply into the soil. This guy was really starting to get on his nerves. Knowing he had no other choice, he quickly yanked on the blade hoping it would slip free before this guy pummeled him to death.

Selm stands behind Caylith as she moves to engage the last active foe.
He whispers softly and a peaceful look comes over his face. This peace
is then transferred over to Caylith, and the pain on her features
softens as her wounds close.

She does not give this time up for resting however, and moves in to
attack, slashing her dark sword back and forth. She slashes across the
man's face and causes a deep gash down the side of his face, one eye
cauterised shut by the magical electricity from the blade.

Valanwé mutters the same incantation as before, and again the globes
of magical energy ly out from his outstretched hands, to strike his
new target square in the chest.

Elussien meanwhile fumbles for his blade, and manages to pull it free,
whilst ducking out of the way of an over confident lunge from the
thug.
Blood dripped down Elussiens face, reeling from the incredible blows landed to him. His head was spinning like a loosed dagger and it wasn't slowing down. When the Thug came at him again, it was more chance luck that saved his skull then his amazing evasive skills. Suddenly he brought free his sword, which now provided him a means to end this entanglement.
With all the skill he had learned over the years Elussien gripped the hilt firmly then swung again at the enemy, hoping his blade would at least take this guy by suprise or just plain skill.

Daleson continues to stride into the battle, confidently swinging his
mace back and forth. The first swing glances off the mans elbow and
causes him discomfort but no serious pain. The second blow misses
entirely.

Trahæarn moves in to finish off his second foe. Seeing the man
weakened he lunges for him but the well trained warrior parries the
blow with his hammer, and locks Trahæarn's weapon. He then lifts his
shield up and thuds it against Trahæarn's jaw, causing him to stagger
wildly.

Edited by - Kaladorm on 20 May 2005 15:47:36
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  17:06:16  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Selm slips away from combat, preferring not to engage in the brutality of fight, knowing it could have only one conclusion. He instead approaches the helpless member of the attackers, whom he knew to be the leader from the overheard conversation previously. A brief search of the man yielded a number of items which Selm then inspected, having liberated a vial of blue liquid, a wallet filled with tools, a large amount of gold, and a small wooden ring from him.

Caylith follows up her previous attack and again slashes the man, who is losing blood at a rapid rate.

Valanwé then sends forth more pure magic from his fingertips, this time all that can be seen of them is a streak through the air as they dart towards the man. The magic blasts through him and out the other side, then fades away into nothingness. After this relentless barrage from the party the man finally drops down to the floor and lies unmoving.

Edited by - Kaladorm on 12 May 2005 17:06:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000