Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Where are those dwarves
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2005 :  20:33:21  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi folks!

I have 1,402 (5% of 28,041) dwarves in Daggerdale. Maybe, you too. What would you do of them? I have, "for simplicity", 4 villages, 23 hamlets, 224 thorps, and 421 farmsteads (standalone farms with a population of 10 folks ... and yes ... they need a lot of protection) in Daggerdale. And yes, a large town named ... Daggerdale. As you might suspect, I am elaborating Daggerdale, and need some suggestion on how to handle the dwarf issue. For example, I could isolate 650 dwarves in one village, or could have the dwaves live integrated in the human society. How do you think those shield dwarves like to live. Isolated in large groups, are, split up among the humans of Daggerdale.

Furthermore, which is the best forum (and web place) to elaborate a dale or two? I mean, If I have ideas, and would like to receive some feedback, where to post stuff?

Best regards,
Manuel

Edited 2005-05-13: Just cosmetic changes.

Edited by - webmanus on 13 May 2005 14:04:21

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2005 :  21:03:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go for both. Have some larger communities where dwarves live side-by-side with humans, and some purely-dwarven communities. I think that dwarves would favor the latter, but there would still be plenty of the former.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2005 :  11:35:19  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your feedback!

I have not finnaly decided how to distribute my 1,402 Daggerdale dwarves. For the moment, though, I am playing with the idea of having 600 dwarves in nothern Daggerdale, 400 in middle Daggerdale, and the remaining 402 dwarves in southern Daggerdale.

I get the impression, that, the prime dwarven clan in Daggedale is the Brightblade clan, and, I have read that they have a silver mine in south Daggerdale, in Anathar's Dell. Are there any official figures about the size of this clan? Are there any other dwarven clan in Daggerdale?

I will start a new post, named Elaborating Southern Daggerdale, because, that is what I am most interested in, at the moment.

Best regards,
Manuel
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  21:11:01  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just some clans that could be found in Daggerdale:

- Brightblade Clan
    - Hillsafar Clan
    - Iron House from Tethyamar and Oghrann

Do you folks have other clans?

Maybe also:

- Tarynstone Clan, which was exiled from Myth Drannor 684 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2005 :  22:27:44  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not decided on the dwarves in Daggerdale, but I tend to favor a mixed population unless we're talking about clearly non-human communities like the dwarf cities in the Silver Marches.

That said, I would be great to see more info on dwarven families/clans in mixed communities like Daggerdale. I have struggled a bit with the elves and half-elves of Cormyr, so I can see where this "problem" is coming from
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  20:01:10  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dwarves of Daggerdale
There are today 1,400 dwarves in Daggerdale today. When the first dwarves settled down in the Dale is lost to history, but no to Oghma, the god of Knowledge. Thus, this knowledge should be available for us DMs. But, nobody will give us that information, so, we might need to give us that information ourself.
We know that Tethyamar was founded -145 DR by dwarves from Oghrann. And we know that the ruling clan is the Iron House, and not the Brightblade Clan. Not much. So, what follows, is noncanon.

The following is only a draft. If you have any comment, please let me know.
In Daggerdale, there are 1,400 dwarves that live in dwarven holds and communities together with humans and other races . Most of the dwarves, however, live in isolated holds. c 900 dwarves lives in isolated communities. Of the numerous clans that came to Tethyamar, only ten exits. The most renowned are the Iron House and the Brightblade Clan.

The Clanless Dwarves
In Daggerdale lives 400 clanless dvarves. These dwarves are found in Dagger Falls and the villages, hamlets, and thorps of the Daggerdalesmen of the Dale.

The Dwarven Clans of Daggerdale
Of the numerous clans from Oghrann that settled in Tethyamar remains only ten clans. The remaining 1,000 dwarves lives in small dwarven holds scattered all over the Dale.

The Brightblade Clan of Anathar's Dell of Tethyamar
The Brightblade Clan of Anathar's Dell of Tethyamar have c 300 members. Their halls are located in the silver mines below the community of Anathar's Dell.

The Deepdigger Clan of Tethyamar
The Deepdiger Clan of Tethaymar have c 100 members. They live in the hamlet of Deepdigger Hold in middle Daggerdale. Around the dwarven hold has a community of farms grew up.

The Doubleaxe Clan of Tethyamar
The Doubleaxe Clan of Tethyamar has c 100 members. Their hold, Doubleaxe Hall is located in middle Daggerdale in the Dagger Hills.

The Greatanvil Clan of Tethyamar
The Greatanvil Clan of Tethyamar has c 100 members. Their hold, Greatanvil Hall is located in northern Daggerdale.

The Iron House of Tethyamar
The king of Tethyamar and most of the members of the clan left Daggerdale to find a more secure home in the kingdom of Cormyr. Behind remained a small group of the hidden that settled down in the secret hold of Iron Hall in the Dagger Hills. There are c 50 hiddens in Iron Hall.

The Oreseeker Clan of Tethyamar
The Oresseker Clan of Tethyamar has c 100 members and their hold, Oreseeker Hall is located in the Dagger Hills.

The Steellink Clan of Tethyamar
The Steellink Clan of Tethyamar has c 100 members. Their hold is located in the foothills of the Desertsmouth Mountains.

The Timekeeper Clan of Tethyamar
The Timekeeper Clan of Tethyamar has c 50 members.

The Truehammer Clan of Tethyamar
The Truehammer Clan of Tethyamar has c 50 members.

The Vanguard Clan of Tethyamar
The Vanguard Clan of Tethyamar was already a small clan in the times of Tethyamar. Today, this clan of hidden counts only c 50 members. They live in a secret hold in the Desertsmount Mountains six miles north of the Dagger River. The chief of the clan is Nor 'the Gray' Vanguard, son of Delgar, blood of Immar, of Vanguard Hall of Tethyamar.
Go to Top of Page

Griselame
Acolyte

France
18 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  10:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Griselame's Homepage Send Griselame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah Anathar's Dell is the prime dwarf settlement in Daggerdale.It's independent and produces jewels and diamonds in its mines..

Notice that they don't have good relations with the Morn family , as Colderan Morn was at war with them a century ago...And Randal Morn wants to establish peaceful diplomacy with them again as he can't offer to be in trouble with them while the Zhentarim watches Daggerdale with envy again....

By the power of Tyr !!!
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  10:40:22  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Griselame,

Do you have any details on Colderan Morn? When was he borned? When did he die? Who was his wief? Any sons and daughters? How about brothers and systers? When did he become the ruler? Other details?

Do you think, that in my draft, I have too many clans? Too few or many clanless dwarfs? Please, any feedback would be appreciated. How about the names? Which do you like? Which do you think are just horrible?

Best regards,
Manuel of the Webs
Go to Top of Page

Griselame
Acolyte

France
18 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  11:08:36  Show Profile  Visit Griselame's Homepage Send Griselame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Colderan was a powerful wizard and (If I remember well) the great-grandfather of Randal Morn. He lived around 1250 (but i'm not sure of the exact dating)He was pretty evil , or maybe he wanted to establish his power and be strong , so he quickly got in trouble with the Brightblade dwarves , and it evolved into war . In the end , the dwarves were pushed out of Dagger Falls and forced to abandon their holy site in Eagle's Eerie(that's why the dwarves are so reluctent about the Daggerdale authorities and especially the Morn family).

He was also the first builder of the Constable Tower , and he got killed finaly. He was briefly revived by an evil priestess who wanted to use his powers , but he finally bet her and took the power again , before being killed again...

His tomb is lying somewhere under the city of Dagger Falls. I have other infos at home , so I will communicate it to you as soon as I can....Hope it's already hopeful !

About your clans , they sound pretty good , but aren't you afraid to have too much of 'em ? And remember that many Tethyamar houses left the region and established somewhere else....For example , Ghellin , the last heir of the Tethyamar's royal family , died in Cormyr around 1369....

Why not an adventure where Ghellin's followers come back to Daggerdale with the Ghellin's ashes and want to put them in a sacred place into the heart of Tethyamar ? Could be a cool diplomacy/dungeon/legend kind of adventure !

By the power of Tyr !!!
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  13:43:38  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coult if mean that the Brightblade dwarves settled down in Anathar's Dell around 1250 DR?
Go to Top of Page

Griselame
Acolyte

France
18 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  14:05:32  Show Profile  Visit Griselame's Homepage Send Griselame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I think so !

By the power of Tyr !!!
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  14:17:09  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Lost Empires of Faerūn (LEOF), numerous clans settled down in Tethyamar. Now, what is numerous? How about 20?

OK, if 20 sounds like a appropiate figure, would you think that the extinction of 10 of those clans is an appropiate figure? Thus, wars and other events, from -145 DR to 1372 DR would result in the existance of only 10 Tethymar clans year 1372 DR. If half of those clans left Tethyamar and Daggerdale with the fall of the kingdom of Tethyamar, then five clans would be left in the Dale. Does that sound appropiate? Or, do you think that five Tethyamar clans in Daggerdale are too many clans? If five sounds as an appropiate figure for the number of clans that departured, then, what would you say if 2 - 3 of those clans settled in Cormyr, 1 - 2 in the Dalelands (and then, other Dales than Daggerdale), and 1 - 2 in the Moonsea?

Please, feal free to play with figures. What is you view?

Edited 2005-05-13: Changed sentece to "1 - 2 in the Dalelands (and then, other Dales than Daggerdale)".

Edited by - webmanus on 13 May 2005 14:25:15
Go to Top of Page

Griselame
Acolyte

France
18 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  14:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Griselame's Homepage Send Griselame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why don't you use some of your clans as those who betrayed and helped the fall of Tethyamar , because they were jealous of the royal clan ,etc....
Nobody excatly knows what invaded the old dwarf city , nor we don't don't know who ruled this army....With the help of some ambitious clans....
And it could lead to a very political campaign/Scenario , involving old dwarven hates and stories....

PS : I'm currently working on an english version of my own work about Daggerdale...As soon as I finish it , I'll send it to you , OK ?

By the power of Tyr !!!

Edited by - Griselame on 13 May 2005 14:38:00
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  14:44:55  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the Zhentarim had a finger in the fall of Tethyamar, according to LEOF. Furthermore, it is clearly stated that the dwarves fell to a a legion of barghests and demons summoned by the orc adepts backed by an archmage (who claimed to be the great Hulundadim).

Betrayal, could be ... but, I am not so ...

I am still more interesting on figuring out who those 1,400 dwarves in Daggerdale are.
Go to Top of Page

Griselame
Acolyte

France
18 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  14:56:13  Show Profile  Visit Griselame's Homepage Send Griselame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok ,ok .... I knew there were some "demonic" powers acting in the fll of Tethyamar , but it's just a possibility....Like Myth Drannor for example. With the helping hand of some betrayers , the elvish forest kingdom has fallen more quickly....

By the power of Tyr !!!
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2005 :  15:46:31  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi folks!

So, after some comments, I have made the following new draft. What do you think? Maybe, you have already done this, that is, you have already decided which clans exists in Daggerdale and so on. Nevertheless, any feedback is appreciated. Maybe, you have a Tethyamar clan in your Moonsea campaign, Mistledale campaing, and so on.

The following is only a draft. If you have any comment, please let me know.
In Daggerdale, there are 1,400 dwarves that live in dwarven holds and communities together with humans and other races . Of the numerous clans that came to Tethyamar, only ten exits. The most renowned are the Iron House and the Brightblade Clan.

The Clanless Dwarves
In Daggerdale lives c 400 clanless dvarves. These dwarves are found in Dagger Falls and the villages, hamlets, and thorps of the Daggerdalesmen of the Dale.

The Dwarven Clans of Tethyamar
Of the numerous clans (c 20) from Oghrann that settled in Tethyamar remains only ten clans. Five clans stayed in the Dale and the other five moved on and settled in Cormyr, other parts of the Dalelands, the Moonsea, and other lands of the Inner Sea. The clans that remained in the Dale are the Brightblade, the Greatanvil, the Oreseeker, the Timekeeper, and the Vanguard. The clans that left the Dale are the Deepdigger, the Doubleaxe, the Iron House, the Steellink, and the Truehammer.
Most of the c 950 dwarves that have clan association and that lives in the Dale, live in small dwarven holds scattered all over the Dale. These clans are led by chieftans and elders and they all recognise the chieftan of the dwarven clan Iron House as their king.

The Brightblade Clan of Anathar's Dell of Tethyamar have c 300 members. Their halls are located in the silver mines below the community of Anathar's Dell.

The Greatanvil Clan of Tethyamar
The Greatanvil Clan of Tethyamar has c 1 50 members. Their hold, Greatanvil Hall is located in northern Daggerdale. Around the dwarven hold has a community of farms grew up.

The Oreseeker Clan of Tethyamar
The Oresseker Clan of Tethyamar has c 200 members and their hold, Oreseeker Hall is located in the Dagger Hills. About half of the members of the clan live in Oreseeker Hall. c 50 of its member lives in Oreforger Hold in the Dagger Hills and c 50 lives in the hold of Delgar House, also in the Dagger Hills.

The Timekeeper Clan of Tethyamar (Hidden)
The Timekeeper Clan of Tethyamar has c 250 members and their hold, Timekeeper Hall is located in the Desertmouth Mountains, halfway south from Dagger Falls.

The Vanguard Clan of Tethyamar (Hidden)
The Vanguard Clan of Tethyamar was already a small clan in the times of Tethyamar. Today, this clan of hidden counts only c 50 members. They live in a secret hold in the Desertsmount Mountains six miles north of the Dagger River. The chief of the clan is Nor 'the Gray' Vanguard, son of Delgar, blood of Immar, of Vanguard Hall of Tethyamar.

Other Clans
In the Dale lives dwarves who are member of other clans, for example, Hillsafar dwarves. These few dwarves live in the Dale, away from their clan's halls and count c 50.
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  15:27:47  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My latest research make be believe that the Brightblade Clan is a very small clan, consisting of maybe five families. Thus, the figure below, 300, might get changed. Furthermore, now I am pretty sure that the Brightblade are a Tethyamar clan.

Link to my homepage: http://user.tninet.se/~bsu242v/

Edited by - webmanus on 10 Aug 2005 15:28:15
Go to Top of Page

Misericordia
Seeker

Italy
66 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  16:19:46  Show Profile  Visit Misericordia's Homepage Send Misericordia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If this can help you...
According to FRQ3 - Doom of Daggerdale,

At least 100 years before that adventure dwarves lived there as goldsmiths, and they refused to sell a magnificent jewel to Belesaria, the wife of the Mage-Lord (grand-grandfather of Randal).
So the Lord cursed them (I can't remember the curse, sorry!), and they went to their cousins under the mountain, leaving in Daggerdale only few champions.
Today no dwarf of Brightblade Clan will aid any descendant of House Morn.
If you need some others info i'll check the module at home.
P.S.
The Mage-Lord crypt lies under th temple of Lathander.

Omnia sunt communia.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  16:23:29  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Misericordia

If this can help you...
According to FRQ3 - Doom of Daggerdale,

At least 100 years before that adventure dwarves lived there as goldsmiths, and they refused to sell a magnificent jewel to Belesaria, the wife of the Mage-Lord (grand-grandfather of Randal).
So the Lord cursed them (I can't remember the curse, sorry!), and they went to their cousins under the mountain, leaving in Daggerdale only few champions.
Today no dwarf of Brightblade Clan will aid any descendant of House Morn.
If you need some others info i'll check the module at home.
P.S.
The Mage-Lord crypt lies under th temple of Lathander.

Is there any way for Randal to make up for his ancestor`s crime?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  16:23:44  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Misericordia,

I have looked at Doom of Daggerdale, and, here are my notes ...

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4867

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  16:26:01  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am looking at the folowing matter ... I have some comments ...
quote:
Is there any way for Randal to make up for his ancestor`s crime?
Coming back later ...

Go to Top of Page

webmanus
Learned Scribe

Sweden
338 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2005 :  18:13:04  Show Profile  Visit webmanus's Homepage Send webmanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did create the following post:

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4922

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000