Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Who would write a good FR Novel?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  17:47:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

You know, my assistant at work says much the same thing!

That you should read the book, or that you should skip work?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  18:29:51  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree about Stackpole. I remember fondly reading the Rogue Squadron books and I, Jedi, and mourning when Aaron Allsted took over the X-Wing books (stuffed Ewoks . . . argh).

Knaack would be another great choice, though he tends to be very good at epic time perions, sweeping stories, and short of another RSE I don't know if he could contain himself in one smaller area. Also, he has become very tied to DragonLance. Has anyone read his Warcraft books?

A.C. Crispin is another Star Wars refugee I would love to see take a turn at FR. I think she did an awesome job at weaving a lot of dispartiate information about Han Solo together in her "pre history" trilogy about him.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 24 May 2005 18:30:37
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  19:17:29  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Hooded One could probably write an excellent FR novel. ^_^

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  23:24:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I have to agree about Stackpole. I remember fondly reading the Rogue Squadron books and I, Jedi, and mourning when Aaron Allsted took over the X-Wing books (stuffed Ewoks . . . argh).

I've only read one of Stackpole's Star Wars books: I, Jedi. However, what first turned me on to him was the epic scope of his writing in the BattleTech universe. I've also read several of his fantasy novels.

quote:

Knaack would be another great choice, though he tends to be very good at epic time perions, sweeping stories, and short of another RSE I don't know if he could contain himself in one smaller area. Also, he has become very tied to DragonLance. Has anyone read his Warcraft books?

I've read his Dragonrealm books... I've read at least one of two of his Dragginglance books, too.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2005 :  23:30:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stackpole's X-Wing books were pretty tight to the continuity, as it existed at the time, it created a new awesome villain without resorting to the "Dark Jedi" well, and he wrote the characters as very plausible, very likeable characters with good chemistry, as well as pacing his military scenarios very much in a manner that seemed, well, military.

Somehow I suspect his Battletech books fall somewhere in that same realm of praise, lol.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  01:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

You know, my assistant at work says much the same thing!

That you should read the book, or that you should skip work?

Actually, he suggested I read the book, but I'm sure he secretly wishes I'd call off work.

I was, however, going to pick up Martin's first book this evening, but a copy of Artemis Fowl caught my eye. I'd heard some interesting things about it and bought that instead. It's pretty good, so far.

Also, probably not the place, but I suggest the book Dragons of the Cuyahoga. A very well-written fantasy book set in the modern world (of Cleveland, of all places). Give it a shot.

Please, Alaundo, don't hurt me!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2005 :  02:24:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

The Hooded One could probably write an excellent FR novel. ^_^

Now, that would be interesting .

quote:
Knaack would be another great choice, though he tends to be very good at epic time perions, sweeping stories, and short of another RSE I don't know if he could contain himself in one smaller area.
I wouldn't say that. He seems to have done alright with the Minotaur Wars trilogy. He's managed to keep himself to one area of the continent.

quote:
However, what first turned me on to him was the epic scope of his writing in the BattleTech universe.
It was the same with me. For a long while after the initial trilogy, I felt that it just wasn't BT unless Stackpole was writing it.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2005 :  23:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree on a few authors mentioned--JMS and DeLint in particular.

I blush at being mentioned with others, and thank folks for the ego-massage.

Now I'll mention a few authors from whom I'd love to see their takes on the Realms:
Guy Gavriel Kay
Neil Gaiman
J. Robert King

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  01:36:08  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since Steve mentioned J. Robert King, I got to thinking of the other authors that made up the 'Wild Card Consortium' and, although Melinda Snodgrass was the first to come to mind, the one that really stood out was Chris Claremont. If they could pry him away from the X-Men books for a bit, I would love to see a series by him.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  02:35:48  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chris Clairmont did some excellent work on the X-Men for years, but somehow I see him as the prototype for authors that burn out on material that they used to write brilliantly. Chris Clairmont's X-Men stories, after years and years of writing them, seem to suffer from the same issue that a lot of scribes here feel that RAS's books suffer from, i.e. the same themes and storylines over and over again, the convoluted inventions that come about to tell the same basic type of story at a different time . . .

But then again, its new territory, and Chris has written brilliantly in the past. Did anyone read his "Willow" follow up stories for Lucas . . I never read them and I always wondered if they were any good.
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  02:43:13  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the first follow-up to Willow and thought it was good.

Have you picked up any of "The End" books for the X-Men? This is where Claremont decides how the X-Men would meet their makers if he was writing the stories. Thus far, pretty good.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  02:52:21  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, no I haven't. The last time I tried to get back into the X-books was when Grant Morrison took over. I think he started out brilliantly and came up with some much needed shaking up, but in the end it just seemed like he wanted to do as much damage as he could to say that he had done something "different."

So now I hate Scott, think that Jean was a really wishy washy person dispite saving reality, and feel like Magneto went from one of Marvel's prime villains to an out of step has been. Nice work Grant! (But I loved his Justice League stuff . . . really!)

To keep this post on track just let me say that Grant would NOT be a one of my picks to write in the Forgotten Realms. (Though maybe another Canadian, one associated with the X-Men, might be interesting . . . John Byrne?)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  02:56:05  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to clarify . . . I meant another Canadian, i.e. Ed Greenwood is Canadian and so is John Bryne, not to imply that either Grant Morrison or Chris Clairmont were Canadian. Sorry for any confusion.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  02:56:08  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To The Sage, Wooly, and SirUrza: "Once A Hero" it is. As for where: sorry, I didn't overhear that part. My ears are only so long, you know. They'd be longer, but my get in the way.
To all who suggested * I * write a Realms novel: sure, I think I could write a dandy book. The question is: would WotC publish it?
You think Ed's quill runs a little blue . . .
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  02:59:46  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know this tends to show what we read outside of the Forgotten Realms, but hey . . .

Has anyone read K.W. Jeter's bounty hunter Star Wars book? They seemed to have a flair for dark underworld seedy environments that might work well in places like Mulmaster or Westgate.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  03:28:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

To The Sage, Wooly, and SirUrza: "Once A Hero" it is. As for where: sorry, I didn't overhear that part. My ears are only so long, you know. They'd be longer, but my get in the way.
To all who suggested * I * write a Realms novel: sure, I think I could write a dandy book. The question is: would WotC publish it?
You think Ed's quill runs a little blue . . .
love to all,
THO

Thank you for sharing that title, dear Lady Hooded One. 'Tis another reason for me to try to track down that title.

Edit: Whoops, my bad. That's not the book I'm missing... Though I don't really see how this one could have been done in the Realms, it is a very good novel. There was a lot of nifty things in there, and a couple of things that caught me by surprise.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 May 2005 04:29:01
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2005 :  19:05:21  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also suggest Terry Pratchett, but I don`t dare because the thought of what he might write in the realms is to..........let`s just say "territory better left unexplored".

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  01:41:05  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe if we gave Terry one of the undefined continents, we could enjoy his writing while minimizing the damage . . .

So what would the name of Discworld's Crystal Sphere be anyway?
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  01:45:35  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Flatland?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  02:15:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Now I'll mention a few authors from whom I'd love to see their takes on the Realms:
Guy Gavriel Kay
Neil Gaiman
J. Robert King
Neil Gaiman... very good choice for any fantasy novel author. However, I feel he'd be more at home in the Eberron setting, writing about Dal-Quor.

quote:
Chris Clairmont did some excellent work on the X-Men for years, but somehow I see him as the prototype for authors that burn out on material that they used to write brilliantly.
Have any of you read Chris's sci-fi/fantasty novels?

quote:
Strangely, I don't have a copy of that one.

Thank you Lady Hooded One. I'll track down this novel with the utmost haste... .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  02:27:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

I would also suggest Terry Pratchett, but I don`t dare because the thought of what he might write in the realms is to..........let`s just say "territory better left unexplored".

Rincewind in the Realms... Hmmm.... Now how might that go .

quote:
It may be a little difficult to encompass the entire realm of the Discworld in a crystal sphere -- remember, the Great A'Tuin is always moving...

On a related note though, Pratchett's style, as well as many of his curious creations from the novels have heavily influenced my gaming style in my Planescape campaigns on occasion.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  03:09:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Strangely, I don't have a copy of that one.

Thank you Lady Hooded One. I'll track down this novel with the utmost haste... .

I think it's still available; I'm fairly certain I saw it the other day at B&N. If you can't find it, let me know, and I'll see if that copy is still there.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  03:25:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll keep that in mind .

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  03:30:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
It may be a little difficult to encompass the entire realm of the Discworld in a crystal sphere -- remember, the Great A'Tuin is always moving...

On a related note though, Pratchett's style, as well as many of his curious creations from the novels have heavily influenced my gaming style in my Planescape campaigns on occasion.

Actually, I believe Discworld was indirectly mentioned in the original Spelljammer boxed set... Page 65 of the Lorebook of the Void, under Starbeasts, includes the line the world is held by a giant on the backs of four elephants, which in turn rest on a huge turtle, which moves about at the bottom of the crystal shell. A similar set-up is mentioned on the next page, only now it's four elephants on eight dragons on a turtle.

Page 73 of the Concordance of Arcane Space illustrates a sphere with at least three elephants supporting a hemispheric world on their backs; the elephants stand on a turtle that is directly on the crystal sphere.

I've only read one Discworld novel (which didn't impress me), but I seem to recall a passing mention of the world being supported by four elepants on a turtle.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  03:41:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Actually, I believe Discworld was indirectly mentioned in the original Spelljammer boxed set... Page 65 of the Lorebook of the Void, under Starbeasts, includes the line the world is held by a giant on the backs of four elephants, which in turn rest on a huge turtle, which moves about at the bottom of the crystal shell. A similar set-up is mentioned on the next page, only now it's four elephants on eight dragons on a turtle.
Ah yes, I remember that know. But the starbeasts have no gravity or atmosphere, so "indirect" is definitely the important word there.

In addition, I don't think starbeasts have their own orbiting sun and moon.

quote:
...I seem to recall a passing mention of the world being supported by four elepants on a turtle.
That's right -- four giant elephants upon whose shoulders the disc of the world rests.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2005 :  19:43:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but that's not necessarily a Discworld reference per se. Terry borrowed it from ancient mythology, remember.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  00:30:38  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, the first few Discworld novels, in my opinion, were a little dry, and tried a bit to hard to be a direct parody of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. The later books, where the setting took on more of its own character, were hilarious, especially the more Death showed up.

Back on topic though . . . here is another off beat suggestion. Has anyone read David Brin's uplift novels? He seemed to be able to make different species with different cultures seem beleivable, so hey, who knows?
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  00:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though I haven't read David Brin, it reminded me of the Gaean Trilogy by John Varley. He had a way of bringing new, yet old, races to life (if you read it, you know what I mean).

Edited by - Melfius on 02 Jun 2005 00:59:59
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  01:38:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of authors that have a more irreverant slant to their fantasy, has anyone ever read anything from Tom Holt? He might be an interesting person to recruit for the Realms, though I would almost fear for what Ruathym would be like afterwards . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2005 :  02:23:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Yes, but that's not necessarily a Discworld reference per se. Terry borrowed it from ancient mythology, remember.
love,
THO

Indeed. The second incarnation of the Hindu deity Vishnu is a sea turtle. According to Hindu myth, four elephants standing on a turtle's back hold up the universe. When the earth shook, it was believed this was because the creatures supporting it were moving about.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000