Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Dawn of Night (Spoilers for Erevis Cale Trilogy)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  21:19:11  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just got the Second Book in The Erevis Cale Trilogy.

When last we left the trio, one had become a Shade, another was worried about his girls, and Jak was dealing with his friend's transformation. Not to mention that whole about to drown part...

From the back cover

quote:

The shadows recede from a lost temple in a forgotten wilderness.

The sun rises on a new calling for a man as loyal as he is mysterious.

The day's beginning finds Erevis Cale holding in his steady hands more power than he dared hope for--and more responsibility than he ever imagined.

For now, he will have to put his trust in a god served by thieves and born of chaos.

Interesting.

Edited by - SiriusBlack on 24 May 2004 21:20:12

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  21:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::drool::

Cant wait to get my hands on this one! Cant believe its a year since I read book one

Hopefully it will be in my local hobby store soon. Let me know what you think, Sirius.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  21:53:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad
Hopefully it will be in my local hobby store soon. Let me know what you think, Sirius.

Can do.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  01:48:36  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought it didn't come out until June????Anyways I'll be patient,and can't wait to hear your thoughts Sirius

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  03:16:44  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya, doesn't it come out in June? I just got the first book two days ago and I didn't notice Dawn of Night there...

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  04:05:35  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, looks like it is time to make my weekly pilgrimage to the hobby store. Must have more Erevis.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  05:45:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

I thought it didn't come out until June????

The book has been available since last week from online retailers. I made a mention of it in Paul Kemp's thread. Most WOTC novels do come out early. Thus, about this time next month, I expect to have Annihilation in my hands.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  13:31:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are some additional details from the book.

This series concludes in Novemeber 2005 with Midnight's Mask. I know Mr. Kemp has another novel to write, a job, a wife, a dog, and four cats. But, 18 months til Cale is reunited with Tazi? Yes, the last part is pure wishful thinking on my part.

The cover art is by Terese Nielsen who has done work for WOTC before. I couldn't make it out when it was online, but in the background there are skulls. Creepy, which fits so far for the mood of this novel.

The book also contains a sample chapter for Annihilation which I discuss here

Additionally, the full listing for the upcoming Priests series is found within the ads for this book and is listed here
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  13:46:14  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was able to start reading the book last night. So far, good and very interesting.

The trio and their guide survives. Cale, unconsciously pulls them into the Plane of Shadow. He is a shade and appears to be dealing well so far although he does think again about Tazi's reaction to his change. Everyone pause here and go awww.

Jak meanwhile is coping with his friend's transformation that took place to save his life. Riven is not entirely trusting this new Cale, but that's Riven.

Their guide, Magadon, is currently leading them out of a bog they appeared in when entering The Plane of Shadow. This guy definitely needs to charge them more for his service.

The slaad are back and shown in the opening chapter with their father, The Sojourner. This character, Vhostym is something else. In thinking back on his life, he remembers when he was a younger githvyrik and later when confronting another creature is called "neither Githyanki nor Githzerai, but...similar" (p.28).
Go to Top of Page

mother1219
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  19:34:24  Show Profile  Visit mother1219's Homepage Send mother1219 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirius,

Any tips as to where I can order it now? I checked a few places online and found nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men...Godzilla.

Go, Go Godzilla

See my silly blog: http://www.motherlove.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  23:28:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mother1219

Sirius,

Any tips as to where I can order it now? I checked a few places online and found nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and Books A Million are all showing the book as available to order.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  16:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirius, now youve finished the novel, how do you rate it against Twilight Falling?

Ill try to glance over your replies as I dont want to read any spoilers but am just anxious to how the novel holds up. I have every faith in this one as Paul Kemp is one of my favorite FR authors, his writing style is excellent and brings out a real gritty flavor.

Scenes which particulary grabbed my in the first book are the ones in Selgaunt with Cale and Riven (the Tavern, the barn etc). Beautifully done. I hope that this book has the same type of flavor. I tend to get a bit worried when novels turn away from the reality of the Realms and head into other planes (that was what also concerns me about WotSQ as well as Dawn of Night).

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  17:08:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Sirius, now youve finished the novel, how do you rate it against Twilight Falling?

As good, at least to me. The things I really enjoy in a novel, are authors that have concrete/evolving characters and authors that bring out the atmosphere for a setting.

Kemp takes the reader through a variety of locations including one of my old favorites and one I had never enjoyed before reading this novel.

Cale and company continue to grow. Kemp really knows how to bring out the morality within characters that appear on the surface as amoral.

quote:

Ill try to glance over your replies as I dont want to read any spoilers but am just anxious to how the novel holds up.

I don't think there are any spoilers within this reply.

quote:

I tend to get a bit worried when novels turn away from the reality of the Realms and head into other planes (that was what also concerns me about WotSQ as well as Dawn of Night).

Bingo. I thought for sure when Kemp did this within the novel, that I'd find it boring. I did not. In fact, Kemp's novel has stimulated my interest in the shade, something other novels did not accomplish.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  01:20:39  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
***SPOILER***

Just finished reading the book and I've to say it's a good read. However, there's a lot of confusing mumble-jumble about the Weave Tap...

I have two questions though. One, what the hell happened to Erevis's sword? Two, is Skullport destroyed?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  03:15:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101
Two, is Skullport destroyed?

The author certainly leaves you hanging with Skullport's fate doens't he?

Would WOTC's novel department authorize such a change? Wouldn't they get Troy Denning to destroy Skullport if they planned such an action?

Seriously, I don't know and I think that's the clear intent. We won't know until November 2005 the fate of Skullport.

Conspiracy theory mode on....if Skullport were badly damaged and the power/control the Skulls have over the city weakened, it would certainly open the door for a new faction to seize control of the area.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  04:07:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oy, hangs his head in frustration. I guess I better read this asap to see how bad WOTC destroyed another place in FR. GODS this is worse then 2e's RSE's! Grumble, guess this book is next on my to read list.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 06 Jun 2004 04:08:09
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  04:12:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

Oy, hangs his head in frustration. I guess I better read this asap to see how bad WOTC destroyed another place in FR. GODS this is worse then 2e's RSE's! Grumble, guess this book is next on my to read list.

Nothing is certain. The main antagonist at the novel's conclusion basically reveals that he's uncertain as to Skullport's fate. I definitely think some changes will take place with the city. Perhaps not major, but some type of change due to this novel's events.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  05:44:22  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Two, is Skullport destroyed?

The author certainly leaves you hanging with Skullport's fate doens't he?

Would WOTC's novel department authorize such a change? Wouldn't they get Troy Denning to destroy Skullport if they planned such an action?

Seriously, I don't know and I think that's the clear intent. We won't know until November 2005 the fate of Skullport.

Conspiracy theory mode on....if Skullport were badly damaged and the power/control the Skulls have over the city weakened, it would certainly open the door for a new faction to seize control of the area.

Sirius, I can totally see a change of power in Skullport, especially since at least two of the Skulls have died already. Speaking of them, I actually never knew they were Netherese until this book...

I don't think Skullport will be destroyed, and there are many reasons to that. One, if Skullport is destroyed, that means most likely Qilue will die too. I don't think Paul S. Kemp is allowed to kill off Greenwood's characters, right? That's kinda like having RAS putting Elminster in one of his novels then having the Sage get chopped by orcs... Also, it would affect Waterdeep greatly along with the many organizations on Faerun (ex. Iron Throne) with the loss of Skullport. I don't think WotC are going to let such a Realm-impacting thing happen, especially since we already have several big events happen: bane's resurrection, the return of the Shade and Lolth's silence. I don't think WotC has to make this year anymore special, you know? Lol.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  05:51:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't think WotC has to make this year anymore special, you know? Lol.

Two things:

1: No way even if Skullport is Tilverton style gone will Qilue be killed off.

2: Did this series give a date as to when it started? I notice it, unlike some others, does not give dates as to when each event within is taking place.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  06:07:47  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... well in the novel there was a part mentioning how the slaadis had to be really discreet because Vhostuym (sp?) didn't want the attention of a Chosen. Then there was another part mentioning about how if Skullport was destroyed, a certain "Chosen" would be killed along with everyone else and that would draw the attention of Mystra, something Vhostuym did not want even though he had no choice.

But I agree that Qilue probably won't die because if she does, I expect a lot of outrage from the readers.

Sirius, in the books, there was a lot of reference to the "Five". Now I know they are the Chosens of the Shadowlord but only four were named: Erevis Cale, Drasek Riven, Kesson Rel and Arvis of Hartvale (something like that). Why is there no mention of the fifth of the Five? Is it purposely left out for the DM's choice, kinda like how the last of the Seven Sisters was purposely not made in the early editions so DMs could make their own choices?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  16:32:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sirius, in the books, there was a lot of reference to the "Five". Now I know they are the Chosens of the Shadowlord but only four were named: Erevis Cale, Drasek Riven, Kesson Rel and Arvis of Hartvale (something like that). Why is there no mention of the fifth of the Five? Is it purposely left out for the DM's choice, kinda like how the last of the Seven Sisters was purposely not made in the early editions so DMs could make their own choices?

Possibly. That might be something to ask Paul Kemp over on this thread. I also know there is one novel left, so he might be waiting to introduce someone else.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2004 :  19:32:56  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

I wouldn't completley panic yet. While the book leaves things looking bad, I wouldn't count Skullport out yet.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

SarielRahab
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2004 :  18:09:37  Show Profile  Visit SarielRahab's Homepage Send SarielRahab a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it will be interesting to see what will happen to Skullport.

Some points, spoilers o-hoy (though there have been some of them here already)

First off; the Sojourner seems like an increadibly powerful psionisist. He is at least 10.000 years old, and consider the chosens as more of a hasle than a real problem.

Now, the ending, and beware, this is more of a major spoiler!! In the end, when Riven betrays them all, am I the only one thinking that this MAY have something to do with the spells they are casting when still in the Plane of Shadows? It seems to me that a guy like Riven wouldn't ordinarily open himself up to being mindread like that, and if anyone did, they would probably not like what they found out. Besides, Riven seems like more of a fanatic for the Shadowlord than Cale, and would not abbandon Mask like this (though Mask is a plot-within-plot-guy). I believe Riven is working his way to the Sojourner, a most dangerous infiltration indeed. If I remember correctly the spells they cast outside Elgrin Fau makes out a loose thread. It sure is a believable betrayal though.

Anyone knows anything about Kessen Rel? Sounds like a cool guy.

I can't wait untill Mask finaly is restored to his former might, and hopefully even a bit more :)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2004 :  18:17:03  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Riven's move at the end is very intriguing. However, the fact he didn't finish off Cale raises my suspicion that this is a play by Riven to get inside The Sojourner's organization.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2004 :  19:43:20  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, in my opinion he's trying to get close to and take out the Sojourner in an effort to curry favor with Mask. This, and the betrayal of Erevis, are very in keeping with the teachings of Mask. He used to have the intrigue portfoloio after all. I think Riven may also be worried about killing Erevis. It may displease Mask. He'd rather show Mask that he's the more worthy of the two.

In my opinion, Riven's developed a love/hate relationship with Erevis much like a jealous younger brother. Erevis has always been the favored one, the smart one, and the only person who's really beaten him. This latest betrayal is his attempt to step out of the shadow of Erevis.

From a mechanics perspective, anyone have any thoughts about Riven's dark tongue powers?

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  03:37:49  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirius a question you posted above asks if the novel if the series gave a date when events started taking place.Chapter 8,pg.122 states,"Drow ,he(Azriim)had learned,was obsessed with House affiliations,especially recently,when rumors in Skullport told of a drow civil war."

Sounds to me like it is along the same timeline as WoTSQ.A nice little throw in.Especially since Paul is writing the final novel.HMMMM,I'm wondering if the final Chosen of Mask is drow???Highly unlikely,but.....

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  03:50:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Sirius a question you posted above asks if the novel if the series gave a date when events started taking place.Chapter 8,pg.122 states,"Drow ,he(Azriim)had learned,was obsessed with House affiliations,especially recently,when rumors in Skullport told of a drow civil war."

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I got spoiled with Richard Lee Byer's last novel being so detailed on the timeline.

quote:

Sounds to me like it is along the same timeline as WoTSQ.A nice little throw in.Especially since Paul is writing the final novel.HMMMM,I'm wondering if the final Chosen of Mask is drow???Highly unlikely,but.....

What's funny is as I'm opening this thread to read your reply I'm thinking, "You need to start a rumor that this series and WOTSQ are going to be connected since they are written by the same author."
Go to Top of Page

CurseLord
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  20:46:31  Show Profile  Visit CurseLord's Homepage Send CurseLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished Dawn of Night and it was an excellent read. At first, I didn't think I would like them walking around the Plane of Shadows, but I was glad I was wrong. I also enjoyed the description of Skullport and how terrifying it can be.

Also, does anyone else think that the woman named Varra that Cale had met in Skullport will play any important part in the 3rd novel. I am most curious to learn what she said to Cale in their last conversation.

quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

From a mechanics perspective, anyone have any thoughts about Riven's dark tongue powers?

I believe it is supposed to be something like Dark Speech from Book of Vile Darkness.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  22:03:05  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirius it's definitely an intriguing thought.I highly doubt it,but you never know.It's something that I wouldn't mind seeing.I also agree that there should be some kind of timeline,or date when events take place.The day and month would suffice.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  00:33:21  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the others about Riven. Because Cale and the rest of them all want to stop the Sojourner but they knew that they don't know how to find it, especially since Cale now realize's its might and power. Like you all said, I suspect Riven will pretend to betray them and then figure out a way to get the others to the Soujourner's Plane.

However, I'm wondering how they are even going to defeat the Sojourner. If a deva is helpess against him, how can the four of them do anything against the Soujourner? I think Mask might make a "special appearance" in the third book. What do you all think?

Go to Top of Page

Proc
Acolyte

Canada
32 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2004 :  01:18:42  Show Profile  Visit Proc's Homepage Send Proc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading Dawn of Night, and I enjoyed it greatly. Some thoughts I had after finishing and reading this thread...

I had forgotten Magadon's "precaution", until someone pointed it out in this thread. It seems a plausible reason why Riven would betray Cale, (though jealousy for Cale being favoured by Mask would also be a plausible reason) but also why he asked Azriim to read his mind, and why he left Cale alive. This after Riven has said more than once that he never leaves his victim's alive...

My favourite section of the novel had to be the description of Skullport and it's inhabitants. I loved just how vivid a picture I was able to get from that description, plus it contained my favourite line from the novel, Azriim's only complaint about the city: "Skullport was the boil on the arse of the world, and it stank accordingly."

As for the Sojourner, I agree that he does seem immensely powerfull. Overwhelming powerfull celestials and demons with his thoughts, and able to project his consciousness in to orbit around Toril. But he does have a weakness - light. Even the softest, faintest light burns and blinds him. I thought this was wonderfully ironic considering his nemesis is a servant of the Shadowlord...

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
- George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000