Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Farthest Reach (The Last Mythal Book II) Spoilers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  02:25:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I got my copy of this tome today and look forward to hearing what others have to say about the second novel in this series. As promised at the end of the first novel, the book's back cover confirms that the action has shifted to the Cormanthor and Myth Drannor.

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  08:38:35  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But let us remember how the back cover of Forsaken House fooled us all. Nonetheless, I would think this time they would get it right, since it's quite obvious the action would have shifted there.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  13:17:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

But let us remember how the back cover of Forsaken House fooled us all.

What about the back cover fooled us?
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  14:19:52  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The part where it said that the elven retreat was coming to an end, though it could be a wider statement showing the ending of the trilogy.

The biggest thing which bugged me though was where Araevin was from. I generally put of this book for about 3 months since it appeared on my local bookstore's shelf because I was tired of the same setting as RotAW. Thankfully reviews from around the net changed my mind. But as you see it was almost very deceiving, at least to me.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  16:49:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The part where it said that the elven retreat was coming to an end, though it could be a wider statement showing the ending of the trilogy.

I think Severil's Crusade clearly shows an end to a retreat mentality in the elves.

quote:

But as you see it was almost very deceiving, at least to me.

Sorry you felt that way. You are the first person I can recall expressing such feelings about the novel.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2005 :  17:15:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It has been officially stated that the Retreat is over. So, I don't see how a blurb saying this is deceptive.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

monch9
Seeker

Poland
67 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  14:16:08  Show Profile  Visit monch9's Homepage Send monch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So, is anyone going to spill the beans

(Still waiting for my copy in the mail)

Monch
Go to Top of Page

Sandhrune
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  18:30:44  Show Profile  Visit Sandhrune's Homepage Send Sandhrune a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far so good. I am about to the middle.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  19:15:54  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The pros:
Well, we've got some great intrigues and battles heading up. Rich did a great job of conveying the urgencies involved in defeating the daemonfay. Malkizid is revealed and Sarya's plan comes into allignment. Aravein gets SEVERELY awesome this book, as do Seiveril, Ilsevele and Maresa's pretty decent.
Did I mention Fflar is incredibly awesome? The scene at the end at his wife's grave was great...as was his duel with Xhalph
And the fight with Aravein and Saelethil was great

The Cons:
It feels as if little REALLY happened this book.The subplot with Maalthir, Sarya and Xhalph was a tad no-where and didn't really inspire fear from our villains considering they're nearly killed.
That blasted Xhalph survived...I swear, Meth or Fflar better get this blasted Daemonfay.
Malkizid was not a disappointment, but his role was. He's got about two scenes and we learn very little of him. Though, Aravein indicates Malkizid is the TRUE threat here and he's got an awesome title: "The Branded King."
I wish we had a bit more action, but not a major complaint
It's so easy to pity Fflar...and I hope to see his duel with a certain Nycaloth next book.

Also, we seem to have a lot of new Fey'ri now...did some of the old leaders die besides Nurthel? Maalthir's Red Plumes are being routed by Xhalph and Sarya is preparing to attack Seiveril's crusade...and Aravein's told his companiopns there's a TRUE threat behind the Fey;ri and Aryvandar's last Mythal must be destroyed.

All in all a great book and I can't wait for Final Gate. I'm hoping to see Fflar and Seiveril vs. Xhalph and Mardeiym, Aravein and Ilsevele take out some of Sarya's top Fey'ri and Malkizid show what he can do.

I also want Maalthir to die horribly, and Zhentil Keep to have a bigger role
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2005 :  22:07:57  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ethriel (and any others lucky enough to have the novel), does Araevin finally get a personality? That was one of my (few) complaints about Forsaken House, that the main protagonist felt... well, not dull, but underdeveloped.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2005 :  00:39:46  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aravein most certainly grows, especially just prior to and after his fight with Saelethil
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2005 :  02:41:38  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

Ethriel (and any others lucky enough to have the novel), does Araevin finally get a personality? That was one of my (few) complaints about Forsaken House, that the main protagonist felt... well, not dull, but underdeveloped.

I definitely agree. I only thought that the scenes in Evermeet were the only few developments to him.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2005 :  03:59:20  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy Elminster and the Knights of Myth Drannor spoilage Batman! In surge of the Srinshee, that can only mean one thing... umm anyone know what the is?

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2005 :  14:25:56  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
It feels as if little REALLY happened this book.

This is not an uncommon complaint about middle books of trilogies. The first book has the excitement of newness and freshness as the characters and situation are introduced. The third book has the battles and conclusions the reader has been waiting throughout the series to read. But the second book is a continuation of the first and sets things up for the finale, which sometimes result in a slow-moving book where little of great consequence happens.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2005 :  20:42:55  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

This is not an uncommon complaint about middle books of trilogies. The first book has the excitement of newness and freshness as the characters and situation are introduced. The third book has the battles and conclusions the reader has been waiting throughout the series to read. But the second book is a continuation of the first and sets things up for the finale, which sometimes result in a slow-moving book where little of great consequence happens.

Well this book doesn't waste time on reflecting on book 1. Too many book 2s I've read spend a lot of downtime on reflection and then have 50 or so pages of build up for book 3. In this, we start off basically where book 1 left off and things keep moving for the main characters and everyone else is building up, with minimal backstory or repeating.

The only thing I really worry about is if book 3 deliver the goods considering everything that's been built up.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  01:43:35  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, let me be the first to say: this series is my new favorite series in the FR. These books are a elven fanboys dream, I even found myself thinking certain things and then they came to pass in the book, how sweet! Richard definately has started to tie up things that will hopefully bring the Elves back to the forefront in the FR. I could go on and on about this book ( I personally enjoyed it as much as the 1st book in the series) but for those of you out there that havent gotten this book and read it I SAY DO IT!!

Prince Forge of Avalon
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  01:57:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Prince Forge of Avalon

but for those of you out there that havent gotten this book and read it I SAY DO IT!!

Prince Forge of Avalon

I'D LOVE TO IF I COULD FIND THE DARN THING! Yes, I'm annoyed! I'm still looking for the Best of Ed Greenwood as well! DARN you local bookstores! Darn you!

Rant over. :)

No Alaundo don't whip me for being off topic! I've been good and I've given you some scrolls and lore. *Hides*

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  03:01:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do any Australian scribes have an update on the release of this novel here in the Great Southern Land?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  12:12:57  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje
I'D LOVE TO IF I COULD FIND THE DARN THING! Yes, I'm annoyed! I'm still looking for the Best of Ed Greenwood as well! DARN you local bookstores! Darn you!

I got both novels sitting on my reading shelf.

And for those who have fully read this novel, do the drow within the Cormanthor make any appearance?
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  15:56:15  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're mentioned, but they're not risking a fight with Sarya's army
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  16:35:13  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Yeah, yeah. Mock my pain. Soon I shall turn to Loviatar and destroy you all! Especially if Alaundo keeps whipping me. :")

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  16:35:39  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today I bought Farthest Reach, Elfsong, The City of Ravens, Cloak of Shadows and Mistress of the Night, so my mood could be described as: MUAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
One thing that strikes me in Farthest Reach is that the Dales seem a bit to weak for their own good. It sounds as if they are just sitting ducks for anyone with a half-decent army.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  17:15:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, yeah. Mock my pain. Soon I shall turn to Loviatar and destroy you all! Especially if Alaundo keeps whipping me. :")

If it's any consolation, the last time I was at the book store, they had neither book... I couldn't go on Friday (take my girlfriend out for her birthday, or buy books?), but I hope to find both books this Friday. And with it being a 3-day weekend, I may be able to slide out the door early...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2005 :  19:18:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
If it's any consolation, the last time I was at the book store, they had neither book... I couldn't go on Friday (take my girlfriend out for her birthday, or buy books?), but I hope to find both books this Friday. And with it being a 3-day weekend, I may be able to slide out the door early...

Cool beans. I'm going to try back later this week as well. I'm just annoyed. :)

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  03:48:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

And that folks is why I like Vhaeraun dark elves....wise beyond their years.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  13:06:26  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And that folks is why I like Vhaeraun dark elves....wise beyond their years.

It was said that Auzkovyn and Jaelre were being hunted by some kind of demon. Maybe they are talking about a certain character from WOTSQ?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  14:54:42  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Sirius, my friend...Vhaeraun's Dark Elves and Eilistraee's will never be able to come out on top of the stupid spider-kissers because of the wicked God Ra Sal'Vatore...and the mighty Wizards of the Coast
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2005 :  21:04:48  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It has been officially stated that the Retreat is over. So, I don't see how a blurb saying this is deceptive.

Hey Woolsie, not that I doubt you, but where was it stated? I don't believe I've come across that bit of info.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  02:30:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

quote:

Hey Woolsie, not that I doubt you, but where was it stated? I don't believe I've come across that bit of info.

As I recall, the first book more than makes this apparent. With Severil's efforts, we clearly see the "new" elven mindset coming into play in the Realms with regard to the Retreat.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  12:46:05  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But Sirius, my friend...Vhaeraun's Dark Elves and Eilistraee's will never be able to come out on top of the stupid spider-kissers because of the wicked God Ra Sal'Vatore...and the mighty Wizards of the Coast

A topic for another thread.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  12:50:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
With Severil's efforts, we clearly see the "new" elven mindset coming into play in the Realms with regard to the Retreat.

Exactly and although I'm only 150 pages into the novel, he's clearly not alone in seeing his crusade as a Return.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000