Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Farthest Reach (The Last Mythal Book II) Spoilers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  15:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

The part where it said that the elven retreat was coming to an end, though it could be a wider statement showing the ending of the trilogy.

It has been officially stated that the Retreat is over. So, I don't see how a blurb saying this is deceptive.

Hey Woolsie, not that I doubt you, but where was it stated? I don't believe I've come across that bit of info.

As I recall, the first book more than makes this apparent. With Severil's efforts, we clearly see the "new" elven mindset coming into play in the Realms with regard to the Retreat.

I don't think we could call that a "new elven mindset" based solely on Forsaken House. It may be a new source of devision among the elves, but up to now, it is not an idea that I see as being embraced by elves in general. I agree that this seems to be the direction in which we the series is headed, but I would in no way think that Forsaken House "officially stated that the Retreat is over."

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  15:31:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 14 of the FRCS says the Retreat is over. :) So that was 2 in game years before the events in Rich's novels.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2005 :  18:29:48  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Page 14 of the FRCS says the Retreat is over. :) So that was 2 in game years before the events in Rich's novels.

Thanks Kuje, that is exactly what I needed. I thought Wooly was referring to something specific, I just couldn't figure out what it was.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

joshaway
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2005 :  02:10:54  Show Profile  Visit joshaway's Homepage Send joshaway a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Last Mythal has become my favorite series also. I lucked out and hastings had a copy yesterday, and I must say that I am tickled with it. My only problem is that I have to wait a whole year before the next part...

Something that struck me as funny though, when the battle between Aeraevin and Saelethil first started, I thought that Aeraevin was going to lose access to all of the high magic spells. I pictured him going back to the mages of Tower Reilloch and explaining his goof. "yeah...about that whole me leaving to study high magic thing..."

I loved the book though, and recommend that you all partake of it as soon as possible
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2005 :  15:30:10  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, this series is definitely turning out to be one of my favorites, if not my first choice. If Mr. Baker is checking in here, great novels. Random thoughts:

I wonder, given the amount of material provided in this book, whether this novel was in formulation before or after the release of certain sourcebooks such as Unapproachable East. I'm glad that the Star Elves are finally addressed in some manner in a novel and serve an actual purpose other than 'Here's another elf race...' It's also nice to see that sun elves are written as being more than just haughty arrogant rascists.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2005 :  18:42:57  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is one thing Araevin says in the end of the book that keeps nagging me....it sounds as if he is going to destroy Myth Drannors mythal........

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  12:59:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty
I'm glad that the Star Elves are finally addressed in some manner in a novel and serve an actual purpose other than 'Here's another elf race...'

Yes, while I still think the star elves did not need to be added to the Realms, I'm glad some author is finally including them in a novel.

quote:

It's also nice to see that sun elves are written as being more than just haughty arrogant rascists.

Those gold elves showing such traits probably have some other elven sub race blood way back in their ancestry.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  23:09:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So....,

Anyone else finish the 2nd book?

I'm.... kinda disgusted at the amount of destruction going on here. Starting from book 1 we have Evermeet, Evereska, The High Forest, Myth Drannor, Cormanthyr, and The Dales all invaded or taken over. The armies of Evermeet, the Dales, Zhentil Keep, Sembia, and Hillsfar are also attacked, decimated, or forced to retreat......

I want to know how Myth Drannor was taken over so easily!

And for the record: I hate that all the three main races of fiends are allies or working together. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 03 Jul 2005 00:38:18
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  00:35:21  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have.

I can see it kinda like a symbolizing of Birth. It has traditionally been a bloody and dangerous time in life till the recent times. The elves are fighting a bloody fight from the brink of wasting away. The are emerging from a slumber to a world they no longer know or have control over. Fighting a Fight they have forgotten how to battle.

Distruction and Chaos are hallmarks of Demons and so the spawn of demons. Under a powerful leader, Demon armies can be a force to be reconed with. Sarya has managed to weave a web that has control the forces she has collected. However, you must remember there is a more powerful darker force involved.

I more curious about this alterntive path of High Magic that is being revealed.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  02:25:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And for the record: I hate that all the three main races of fiends are allies or working together. :)

What?! How was that given any justification?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  02:29:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

The part where it said that the elven retreat was coming to an end, though it could be a wider statement showing the ending of the trilogy.

It has been officially stated that the Retreat is over. So, I don't see how a blurb saying this is deceptive.

Hey Woolsie, not that I doubt you, but where was it stated? I don't believe I've come across that bit of info.

As I recall, the first book more than makes this apparent. With Severil's efforts, we clearly see the "new" elven mindset coming into play in the Realms with regard to the Retreat.

I don't think we could call that a "new elven mindset" based solely on Forsaken House. It may be a new source of devision among the elves, but up to now, it is not an idea that I see as being embraced by elves in general. I agree that this seems to be the direction in which we the series is headed, but I would in no way think that Forsaken House "officially stated that the Retreat is over."

I didn't mean to imply that it was the "only" elven mindset -- but rather a "new" mindset being born among the elves which has taken on a different opinion about the Retreat.

Please note where I placed my original emphasis.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  02:38:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I haven't seen one that explained it to my satisfaction. Sarya just kept summoning them or the three main fiends just kept following her orders.

Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  02:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got the book yesterday (along with the Best of Eddie) and finished it last night. I found it a bit irritating at first, how the chapters were so short and jumped between too many people/groups.

That aside, I still loved it. I won't post any spoilers, but will say it is worth the money. Oh, how I wish more FR books were in hardback!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  03:02:33  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to mention that it might not be Sarya that are controlling the Fiends perhaps some ARCHevil is controlling them? Perhaps some of the Devils in Myth Dranner have been working under this evil, preparing the way for it's subvertion. Perhaps it links with the Last Mythral mentioned in the Last Chapter of the Book before the Epilogue.

Perhaps Sarya might be the big bad in appearance, while blocking sight from the true big bad.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  03:19:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I haven't seen one that explained it to my satisfaction. Sarya just kept summoning them or the three main fiends just kept following her orders.

I would agree. That hardly seem like a worthwhile possibility given what we already know about the relationships betweem the various fiendish races.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  03:24:06  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I would like to mention that it might not be Sarya that are controlling the Fiends perhaps some ARCHevil is controlling them? Perhaps some of the Devils in Myth Dranner have been working under this evil, preparing the way for it's subvertion. Perhaps it links with the Last Mythral mentioned in the Last Chapter of the Book before the Epilogue.

That may be but demons, devils, and yugoloth's would not work together.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  03:26:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would agree. That hardly seem like a worthwhile possibility given what we already know about the relationships betweem the various fiendish races.

Yup. Parts of this novel just bothered me. :) As I said in my 1st post.

Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  06:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've got the book on pre-order from amazon since I enjoyed the first in the series so much. I'll give some more relevant opinion once I've read the material in question, so the following is just based on what others who have read it have told me.

If Sarya is using Tanar'ri and 'loths, or Baatezu and 'loths, it's not a problem. But Tanar'ri and Baatezu -will not- work together. It's probably an issue for any Baatezu to obey a half-Tanar'ri like Sarya, let alone just bend over and fight alongside full blooded ones. It's going to take some serious explanation to rationalize this, and Malkazid alone wouldn't fit that bill. Powerful archfiend or not, he couldn't force CE and LE fiends to work alongside one another, they'd butcher each other the first chance they had.

I can think of one totally applicable justification for it, but I really doubt that they'll be introducing a Baernaloth as an antagonist in the series. But if they did, it'd be the coolest FR book ever.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.

Edited by - Shemmy on 04 Jul 2005 19:35:11
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  08:02:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

I can think of one totally applicable justification for it, but I really doubt that they'll be introducing a Baernaloth as an antagonist in the series. But if they did, it'd be the coolest FR book ever.
That's do-able, but highly unlikely to ever appear as a plot device in an FR novel. Perhaps as a campaign element though, provided a DM wished to deviate slightly from the events as they happened in the novels.

But you're right, it would be something I'd definitely enjoy reading about .

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  14:27:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

Got the book yesterday (along with the Best of Eddie) and finished it last night. I found it a bit irritating at first, how the chapters were so short and jumped between too many people/groups.

That aside, I still loved it. I won't post any spoilers, but will say it is worth the money. Oh, how I wish more FR books were in hardback!

I'm a little under 100 pages from finishing this. But, I can already understand the points you make. Mr. Baker really has gotten numerous groups involved and I don't see how he could have made the story plausible without taking this action. However, it does tend to make the novel a bit convoluted. This novel could do with another 100 or so pages to fully detail all this interaction among various power groups.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  21:43:05  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember who's behind the Baatezu: The Branded King. And with the lovely choices laid out before the Devils- serve us, or die horribly- I doubt it's that difficult a choice.
And the Tanar'ri answer to Sarya, and Malkizid does for the moment, so...
Go to Top of Page

Ty
Learned Scribe

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  23:12:14  Show Profile  Visit Ty's Homepage Send Ty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*** SPOILER (potentially) ***

I think that the novel points out the friction between the devils of Myth Drannor and their half-tanari neighbors. However, we also do have Sarya consorting with an archdevil. There is some indication in the novel (although not stated in an explicit manner) as to why the devils are working 'with' the demonfaey; freedom from the wardings of Myth Drannor.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  23:54:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ty

I think that the novel points out the friction between the devils of Myth Drannor and their half-tanari neighbors. However, we also do have Sarya consorting with an archdevil. There is some indication in the novel (although not stated in an explicit manner) as to why the devils are working 'with' the demonfaey; freedom from the wardings of Myth Drannor.

I don't buy it, sorry. No normal devil would work with tanar'ri spawn and not all of them are devils that were in Myth Drannor, some she summoned.

Even her "patron" couldn't force devils to work with her.

But this is my bias, and no one really can convince me with the little info that we have about why they are working with her and tanar'ri. :)

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  01:15:32  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the Answer is Obvious. All of the Fiends are Working together because Malkizid has saved them a Bunch of money on Car Insurance.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  01:43:03  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, the Answer is Obvious. All of the Fiends are Working together because Malkizid has saved them a Bunch of money on Car Insurance.

That is certainly amusing to me.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  02:25:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ty

I don't buy it, sorry. No normal devil would work with tanar'ri spawn and not all of them are devils that were in Myth Drannor, some she summoned.

Even her "patron" couldn't force devils to work with her.

But this is my bias, and no one really can convince me with the little info that we have about why they are working with her and tanar'ri. :)

And although I haven't read the novel yet, I would have to again agree with Kuje. Everything I've heard so far regarding the connections between demons and devils in the trilogy doesn't exactly square with what has been published time and again about tanar'ri and baatezu relations.

Regardless of how powerful the "patron" is, she cannot wash away the almost genetic drive for demons and devils to dislike each other -- it's a reflection of their differing alignments and the environments they come from. This has been the "fiendish" way fo many millenia, and isn't likely to just up and change through the application of one particular demon- or devil-lord.

If that were the case, the Blood War would have ended centuries ago... Any of the most powerful demonlords or archdevils could have strived to unite both races if it was simply a matter of personal power and charisma.

No, the relationships between demons and devils is a lot more complicated than that...

Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  05:02:51  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we're underestimating Malkizid...and the 'instinct of survival'
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  05:40:10  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't buy that, either. The Blood War is pretty much eternal. Practically nobody can make the tanar'ri work with the baatezu. It's less likely to happen than Lolth rejoining the Seldarine, or the elves and drow suddenly coming together to sing "Can't we all just get alooooong."
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  05:57:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there a Blood War in 3E? More correctly, is there a Blood War in the new cosmology of the Realms? I haven't even looked at my sources, so the answer is likely "yes", but if it isn't then maybe all Lower Planes creatures just want to get onto the Prime so that they can (to quote "Lost in Space") 'crush, kill, destroy'.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2005 :  09:03:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Is there a Blood War in 3E? More correctly, is there a Blood War in the new cosmology of the Realms? I haven't even looked at my sources, so the answer is likely "yes", but if it isn't then maybe all Lower Planes creatures just want to get onto the Prime so that they can (to quote "Lost in Space") 'crush, kill, destroy'.

-- George Krashos

Yes, the Blood War is mentioned in 3e FR -- in the PGtF. It's referenced in the planar description sections for the Abyss, the Barrens of Doom and Despair, the Blood Rift, Clangor, and the Nine Hells.

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Jul 2005 09:06:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000