Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Priests Series
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  13:05:26  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the back of Paul Kemp's new novel, Dawn of Night there is a full listing now for the Priests series set to start this year.

We already know about

Lady of Poison July 2004 by Bruce R. Cordell
Mistress of the Night September 2004 by Dave Gross

But, to my knowledge, I have not heard up until now about this one

Queen of the Depths May 2005 by Voronica Whitney-Robinson

and finally

Maiden of Pain July 2005 by Kameron M. Franklin

Anyone heard of this guy????

A diverse range of beliefs appear to be explored in the above books.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  13:37:43  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Maiden of Pain July 2005 by Kameron M. Franklin

Anyone heard of this guy????

A diverse range of beliefs appear to be explored in the above books.

*chuckle*

Are you joking?

In the event your not joking, Kameron is the Winner of the Maiden of Pain writers comp

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  13:48:33  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
*chuckle*

Are you joking?

In the event your not joking, Kameron is the Winner of the Maiden of Pain writers comp

I am. I should have really had fun and put, "Is he one of them Eberron writers?"
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  13:57:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The same listing appeared in the back of Venom's Taste. There was another, confusing list for the Hunter's Blades trilogy, which suggested that the Two Swords would have been out this past April.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  14:08:51  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

The same listing appeared in the back of Venom's Taste.

That shows how strong my awareness is as I read that novel and don't recall at all seeing it.

quote:

There was another, confusing list for the Hunter's Blades trilogy, which suggested that the Two Swords would have been out this past April.

Wasn't that novel originally set to come out at that time? Or was it always set to come out in November?
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  04:27:19  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
October, I believe.

Which deity is "Queen of the Depths" supposed to be about? Is it Umberlee?

How about "Mistress of the Night"?

Wonder who else is gonna be 'on the list'....

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  04:34:40  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava
Which deity is "Queen of the Depths" supposed to be about? Is it Umberlee?

From the brief blurb for the book, I would say yes, it is her.

quote:

How about "Mistress of the Night"?

The blurb mentions fighing a goddess of secrets. Thus, I believe it will show a Selune priestess. I believe Dave Gross' Sembia novel included a priestess of this deity. Thus, perhaps she's the character mentioned that will take the fight to Shar followers.

quote:

Wonder who else is gonna be 'on the list'....

I got the impression that like The Rogue series, this four would be it and then the focus would shift to The Fighter series.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  05:34:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

The blurb mentions fighing a goddess of secrets. Thus, I believe it will show a Selune priestess. I believe Dave Gross' Sembia novel included a priestess of this deity. Thus, perhaps she's the character mentioned that will take the fight to Shar followers.

If it mentions secrets, then it is likely Shar, not Selune. Could we be seeing an explanation of the shadow weave?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  06:13:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
If it mentions secrets, then it is likely Shar, not Selune. Could we be seeing an explanation of the shadow weave?

-- George Krashos

But, why would a priestess of Shar be "fighting a goddess of secrets" and doing "everything to stop them?" Wouldn't that be a Selune priest fighting Shar's followers?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  07:02:28  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Assuming they gave the same rules to the other authors as they did for Maiden of Pain, the novel had to depict a cleric of the deity but it could be the protagonist or the bad guy

The goddess the 4 books are based on are

Shar
Talona
Umberlee
Loviator

I guess the book department must have a thing for evil women

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  09:18:57  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave Gross' book in this series features Radu Malveen (from Black Wolf fame), im particulary looking forward to reading about him again

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  12:45:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Dave Gross' book in this series features Radu Malveen (from Black Wolf fame), im particulary looking forward to reading about him again

And for those wishing the link to this information, try here where Dave Gross mentions the following:

quote:

In brief, Mistress of the Night is about what happens when an excessively violent priestess of Selune, Feena, and an excessively violent swordsman, Radu Malveen, come in on opposite sides of a conflict involving the cult of Shar. It's set in Yhaunn, Sembia.

Feena is as I suspected above, the Selune Priestess from Black Wolf.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  15:33:55  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't wait to read about Radu Malveen as well.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

OrnluTheWolf
Acolyte

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  16:35:18  Show Profile  Visit OrnluTheWolf's Homepage Send OrnluTheWolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will all of these be set in current time?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  16:39:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OrnluTheWolf

Will all of these be set in current time?

I don't think any mention has been made of the time frame for the novels. However, since, to my knowledge, the rogue series was set within current time, I'd go with that belief here as well.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  16:40:16  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Assuming they gave the same rules to the other authors as they did for Maiden of Pain, the novel had to depict a cleric of the deity but it could be the protagonist or the bad guy

The goddess the 4 books are based on are

Shar
Talona
Umberlee
Loviator

I guess the book department must have a thing for evil women

You're correct on the goddesses. If you check your Faiths & Pantheons, the book titles are all taken from secondary names for the deities. And, yes, if the guidelines for the other books were similar to the open call, then the priest of the focal deity can either be the protagonist or antagonist.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

mother1219
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2004 :  17:26:08  Show Profile  Visit mother1219's Homepage Send mother1219 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sirius,

Give me your copy of Dawn of Night

I cannot wait to read that book! AND you say it has a sample of Annihilation! ARGH! Gimme!

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men...Godzilla.

Go, Go Godzilla

See my silly blog: http://www.motherlove.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  00:16:29  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mother1219
I cannot wait to read that book! AND you say it has a sample of Annihilation!

The sample chapter was a lovely bonus especially since Elminster's Daughter didn't have a preview for any upcoming novel.

I really want to see a sample chapter for Lady of Poison so I can possibly determine whether or not I will be buying the novel.
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  03:39:12  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see why they would choose three major deities such as Selune, Umberlee, and Loviatar and then stick in a minor one such as Talona. Talona never really got mentioned until Venom's Taste (which I loved).

Also, Bruce R. Cordell always wrote stuff for D&D and stuff, why now is he making an appearance by writing an FR novel?

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Check out my webpage at http://iankappos.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  04:14:38  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Valondil the Ranger

I don't see why they would choose three major deities such as Selune, Umberlee, and Loviatar and then stick in a minor one such as Talona. Talona never really got mentioned until Venom's Taste (which I loved).

The impression I got, and this is just a personal one, was these books were to spotlight deities not previously focused on within novels. Alas, like the Rogues series, I think these novels will be either hit or miss for me.

quote:

Also, Bruce R. Cordell always wrote stuff for D&D and stuff, why now is he making an appearance by writing an FR novel?

Has he written any other stuff say for a D20 company? I know he wrote D&D stuff, but I could swear I've seen the name elsewhere too.
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  05:20:45  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He wrote one of the D&D novellas under the pseudonym T.H. Lain.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  09:25:30  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

... and of course in the Cleric Quintet.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  15:23:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He wrote one of the D&D novellas under the pseudonym T.H. Lain.

Ah, thank you for that information Valondil.
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  16:04:45  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No prob. You know what D&D novellas I'm talking about, don't you, Sirius?

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  16:23:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No prob. You know what D&D novellas I'm talking about, don't you, Sirius?

The ones featuring the iconic characters. Correct?

Additionally, after doing some research, I see Mr. Cordrell has done work for Malhavoc Press in writing the award winning module, If Thoughts Could Kill.
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  18:55:50  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup. You got it. So, yeah, I guess this is his first NOVEL novel, per say.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  20:04:25  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yup. You got it. So, yeah, I guess this is his first NOVEL novel, per say.

I think you're right on that. I'm looking forward to reading it, as Bruce Cordell is one of the best writers I know who's still a WotC full-timer, and he's a heckuva nice guy to boot. This novel should be good.

Steven Schend
Who is still amazed that Bruce got him to actually like psionics...

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Valondil the Ranger
Learned Scribe

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  23:55:13  Show Profile  Visit Valondil the Ranger's Homepage Send Valondil the Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you like psionics, read Venom's Taste about the yuan-ti (one of my fav races. Faced them on one of my first DnD quests) by Lisa Smedman. It was very good.

--Your humble ranger,
Valondil

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2004 :  00:16:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Bruce Cordell is one of the best writers I know who's still a WotC full-timer, and he's a heckuva nice guy to boot. This novel should be good.

If I recall, and I may be mistaken, he posts on the ENWorld message board. If memory serves, he was very polite and nice when dealing with others on there.

Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  21:08:11  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is anyone else slightly disappointed in how this series has turned out? It had so much potential, but I feel very deflated after reading them. This is nothing against the authors, who are great people. They're just . . . I don't know . . . not the quality I was expecting. Especially two of them, which I felt were two the of the worst fantasy novels I've ever read (I won't name them). Who knows, perhaps Queen of the Depths will be the redeemer of this set.

Like I said, it's nothing against the authors, I just am very let down (I was SO excited to read them). Is anyone else feeling this way?

Edited by - wwwwwww on 15 Jul 2005 21:10:35
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  23:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wwwwwww

Is anyone else slightly disappointed in how this series has turned out? It had so much potential, but I feel very deflated after reading them. This is nothing against the authors, who are great people. They're just . . . I don't know . . . not the quality I was expecting. Especially two of them, which I felt were two the of the worst fantasy novels I've ever read (I won't name them). Who knows, perhaps Queen of the Depths will be the redeemer of this set.

Like I said, it's nothing against the authors, I just am very let down (I was SO excited to read them). Is anyone else feeling this way?

To be honest, I agree. I don't think any of the novels in the series have been anything to write home about. Again, I think the authors are great and have done some excellent work prior, but I feel that this series AND the Rogues series are a little mundane and not really doing the Realms any justice. I feel that the authors are being surpressed and the stories a little forced. For example, the Rogues series felt like all authors were told "ok, write a story where the protagonist is a rogue and that there is an item which is key to the story (Crimson Gold, Alabaster Staff etc.)". However, one book which did stand out in this series, by far, was The Yellow Silk by Don Bassingthwaite. Highly recommended.

Back the The Priests, in particular, I felt that Maiden of Pain was a little misplaced. The feeling of the character just didn't seem right for Loviatar.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000