Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Twilight War Trilogy - by Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2005 :  19:29:17  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met, fellow scribes

I hereby bring splendid news of Paul S Kemp's new Forgotten Realms trilogy due to start in Q2 2006. This is the RSE series which features characters from the Erevis Cale Trilogy. As to which characters these are, I know not.

I am extremely excited about this trilogy and i'm sure it will be just as amazing as Paul's previous work. The Erevis Cale novels are outstanding, and I personally believe Paul set a new flavor of Realms writing, with his work on Shadows Witness in The Sembia Series.

I could talk and talk on these books, so without further delay, the titles within this trilogy are as follows:

Book 1 - Shadowbred
Book 2 - Shadowstorm
Book 3 - Shadowrealm

If anyone else has any information on these novels, then please share them herein. Sadly, Paul no longer graces the halls of Candlekeep, but any information found on this would be appreciated.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2005 :  21:58:54  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is wonderful news Alaundo.Paul did mention that he was writing this.An RSE involving Cale to boot...I cannot wait...

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2005 :  22:53:32  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fantastic!!! Cale is one of my favorite Realms characters (as is Riven, although I fear for his fate following the events in Dawn of Night )

I can't wait to read Midnight's Mask and then get stuck into this new Trilogy I wonder where it's set. I suppose it's still early days to get any additional information as writing likely hasn't yet begun.

I'm curious as to what the actual RSE will be. This is gonna be one hell of a good trilogy

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

riverc0il
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  00:22:51  Show Profile  Visit riverc0il's Homepage Send riverc0il a Private Message  Reply with Quote
excellent news! thank you for sharing. after reading the first two cale novels, i have decided that paul kemp is the most exciting author to write a realms book since cunningham. i especially love the ambiguous approach and exploration of good vs. evil, bad characters that do good things, and good characters that do bad things. the world is so many more shades of gray than ever possibly get written about. i think paul is covering interesting ground while also weaving fantastic stories around involving and intriguing characters. i am really looking forward to the last of the cale trilogy, now i have to content myself to wait another half year for this exciting triology. even more fantastic that such a great author gets to pen a RSE.

-steve
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  04:47:57  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes!!! I loved the Erevis Cale trilogy and can't wait to get the final book. It's nice to read that he has another series.

Hmm... judging from the name of the series and the title of the books, I think the story may revolve around Mask and Cale's transformation.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  04:54:09  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm . . . I know this is REALLY putting the cart before the horse, but I wonder if the Shadovar are going to consolidate their hold on Anauroch completely and manage to rivitalize the immediate area around Shade, or if they are going to fix their Mythallar. It will be interesting to see, and who knows by the time the last book comes out maybe all the interaction my PCs have with the Shadovar will be over and I will manage not to alter the "alignment" of my game to cannon.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  05:36:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I have to get my butt into gear and read the first Erevis Cale trilogy. To the bookstore I go.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  16:54:46  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. Ditto here, Krash. Should be a good read.

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  01:40:40  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget to read about Cale in the Sembia series first if you have not yet done so!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  02:03:57  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I think I have to get my butt into gear and read the first Erevis Cale trilogy. To the bookstore I go.

-- George Krashos

Shame on you, George, for not reading it! Lol.

It's a great read. I find it different than some of the other FR novels because it's really dark, especially the scenes in Skullport.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  05:45:31  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the release of FR novels in the last 2-3 years has been exponential and it's not always easy to keep up. Considering how most people have written and said only good things about Paul Kemp's writing, I will pick up his novel series soon.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  16:28:10  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well, the release of FR novels in the last 2-3 years has been exponential and it's not always easy to keep up. Considering how most people have written and said only good things about Paul Kemp's writing, I will pick up his novel series soon.

-- George Krashos

Still haven't read his stuff yet, but chatted with him a bit over Realmslore and such. Good guy, this Mr. Kemp, and deserving of rising royalties.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  20:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Still haven't read his stuff yet, but chatted with him a bit over Realmslore and such. Good guy, this Mr. Kemp, and deserving of rising royalties.

Well met

Hmmmm that's the second time thou hast admitted to not reading some of the best Realms tomes of the past few years, Steven. I'm beginning to wonder if a great scribe of the Realms should be forgiven for this

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  14:23:33  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Well met

Hmmmm that's the second time thou hast admitted to not reading some of the best Realms tomes of the past few years, Steven. I'm beginning to wonder if a great scribe of the Realms should be forgiven for this

Been too poor in 2003-2004 to afford the luxury of a bookstore crawl.
Now I'm too busy with day jobs and novel work and trying to chase down the next date, etc. I'll get around to it all, but all I'm doing now is increasing that stack of books to be read, rather than still eking out the time to read them.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  14:56:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Been too poor in 2003-2004 to afford the luxury of a bookstore crawl.
Now I'm too busy with day jobs and novel work and trying to chase down the next date, etc. I'll get around to it all, but all I'm doing now is increasing that stack of books to be read, rather than still eking out the time to read them.

That applies to me, as well, friend Steven. And add to it the fact that for a while, I was burned out on Realms novels and thus didn't pick up too many, even when I had the money.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  15:30:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll get around to it all, but all I'm doing now is increasing that stack of books to be read, rather than still eking out the time to read them.
I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one in that situation.

It just seems that for every book that I read in the short amounts of free time that I have... three or four new books find their way onto my overall "MUST READ" stack.

So as much as I'm looking forward to this new trilogy... and the opportunity for Kemp to explore some pretty unrevealed areas of the Realmslore, I'm afraid it'll be at least 6-to-12 months before I read the first book AFTER its release date.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Toedoe
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  06:29:33  Show Profile Send Toedoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Fantastic!!! Cale is one of my favorite Realms characters (as is Riven, although I fear for his fate following the events in Dawn of Night )

Fear not, it was a plan Cale and Riven had to get someone close to the big bad guy. I'm sure they will both be in the new trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2005 :  14:29:08  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Fear not, it was a plan Cale and Riven had to get someone close to the big bad guy. I'm sure they will both be in the new trilogy.

You know you should really warn him of Midnight Mask's sample chapter spoilers there. As for Riven's fate, I have a gut feeling that he'll be the one to bite the dust. The feeling got amplified even further after reading the sample chapter. It's just a gut feeling though. I'll love to see him pull through. I would rather see Jak die because of two reasons:

1. I find him annoying a lot of times. Yes, he's the conscious of Cale but I look at him like some sort of mother to a teenage Cale.
2. It would be interesting to show Cale's reaction to Jak's death.

I'll just wait and see the death happens. But at the mean time my instincts go for Riven and my thoughts go for Jak to die.

Edited by - Paec_djinn on 31 Aug 2005 14:32:57
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2006 :  21:49:21  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazon.com Canada has just added the firstbook of Paul Kemps Twightlight War series to its catalog as a November release:

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786940778/qid=1139866630/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_0_5/702-0822389-7300844
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2006 :  08:21:30  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cale trilogy is one of the best trilogies I have read. I would personally rank it up there with the icewind dale trilogy, the songs and swords series, and the finder's stone trilogy. So needless to say I can't wait to read the next trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  19:24:44  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beezy

The Cale trilogy is one of the best trilogies I have read. I would personally rank it up there with the icewind dale trilogy, the songs and swords series, and the finder's stone trilogy. So needless to say I can't wait to read the next trilogy.

I second that Beezy, Paul has re-energized my wanting to keep up with my collection of realms novels. I will be in line to purchase the next trilogy at the first sign of it posting for sale
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000