Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Ghostwalker characters builds?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shuman
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  05:23:13  Show Profile  Visit shuman's Homepage Send shuman a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anyone done builds on the characters from this great novel? Any ideas? I was very impressed, and will look for more work by Mr. deBie. Thanks.

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  16:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have, but they are, ahem, top secret. If people want to design builds, though, I'd be deeply honored to look them over -- and maybe offer hints on who got close to what I had.

Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  16:27:03  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is it that I would find this PrC again?

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  16:46:26  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sword and Fist, a 3e supplement.

(Master of Chains is also in there, by the by.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 17 Feb 2006 17:03:29
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  16:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Sword and Fist, a 3e suppliment.

(Master of Chains is also in there, by the by.)

Cheers

Bleah...I don't own that. -_-. That explains why I don't remember it from the CF.

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  17:06:25  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah -- I've been hoping they'd bring it back in a 3.5e accessory, but so far, no such luck.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

shuman
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  21:15:08  Show Profile  Visit shuman's Homepage Send shuman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FYI, what I enjoyed most was your likeable bad guys, everything is shades of gray! Great character development and combat scenes. What other works are planned?

I may have to do some quikie builds myself...
These ideas didnt come from your home campaign, did they?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2006 :  22:13:44  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words! Such was very much my intention. :)

The ideas were quite original, though Walker's similar to a character "type" I've played before (dark brooding swordsman). I've never played Walker himself as a PC. Walker, Greyt, Meris, Arya, Bars, and Derst have all shown up as NPCs in my campaigns (Arya, mostly), but that's been after I'd written Ghostwalker.

I'd recommend checking out my thread in Chamber of Sages, so we don't get totally off topic. . .

http://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3930

There are two short stories by me: "The Hunting Game," in Realms of the Dragons II, and "The Greater Treasure," in the new Realms of the Elves anthology. Also in the works is my second novel, The Depths of Madness, which is due out March 2007.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

shuman
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  00:33:55  Show Profile  Visit shuman's Homepage Send shuman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off the top of my head:
Walker F6/Gw8?
Arya F8? (didnt seem like Paladin)
Derst Rogue8, Bars Pal8 or so
Meris, Scout of Ranger 10 or so
Dharan Greyt Bard 14 or so.

Alignments are more difficult for me. Thats what I like about how you wrote them. You cant say, with Meris or Greyt for example "Yeah, he's LE".
Am I close? First guesses, so not in depth builds.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  01:35:06  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you might want to consider using the Knight-Errant of Silverymoon prestige class from Silver Marches for the Knight-Errants from Silverymoon

And maybe lower the gap between Meris and Walker a bit, judging by the last confrontation between them I'd say they're pretty even.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

shuman
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  03:05:18  Show Profile  Visit shuman's Homepage Send shuman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. I didnt have the Silver Marches book present, and yes, I think I put Walker a bit high. Cant wait to find that accessory.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  20:16:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume you're at least tentatively interested in what the characters would be like in game terms for use as NPCs. I myself have them statted out, and while the stats don't perfectly sum up the characters, the reflection's there.

Also, I won't be able to dispense specific builds, because of WotC rights / NDA issues. I can merely give hints.

quote:
Originally posted by shuman

Off the top of my head:
Walker F6/Gw8?
Arya F8? (didnt seem like Paladin)
Derst Rogue8, Bars Pal8 or so
Meris, Scout of Ranger 10 or so
Dharan Greyt Bard 14 or so.

Alignments are more difficult for me. Thats what I like about how you wrote them. You cant say, with Meris or Greyt for example "Yeah, he's LE".
Am I close? First guesses, so not in depth builds.

Those are great preliminary guesses! There are many interpretations possible, but those look like good ballpark figures.

Remember that..............

*** SPOILERS FOR GHOSTWALKER ***

Walker wasn't always a warrior, and when you're resurrected in 3e, you don't lose levels if you're only 1st.

Arya's the only one of the three who has Knight-errant of Silverymoon levels. She is quote-unquote "Lawful Good" but she's certainly not a paladin.

By contrast, Bars is too much a paladin for Knight-errant and Derst, well, too much a rogue.

Meris is described in the book as a "wild scout" which is a prestige class in Silver Marches as well. He has the two-weapon fighting of a ranger, but also the High Sword Low Axe style feat from Complete Warrior (remember his trademark sword and axe?). And indeed, Kajehase has the right of it: he and Walker should be about equal in fighting ability.

Bard 14 would entail a bit much spellcasting for Greyt (he didn't do much more than glamors like Eagle's Splendor and Enthrall -- that sort of thing -- in the book), and a bit little fighting ability (remember, he held his own with Meris). You might think of multiclassing him as a swashbuckler, from Complete Warrior. I did.

Yes, CW was my bible on this. That and Sword and Fist. (Shatterspike originally showed up there, and, of course, Gyrspike! That was one of my personal challenges in the book: describing a fight with a gyrspike and having it make visual sense.)

And if/when you do get the Silver Marches, make sure to look up the little section on Quaervarr. It has Geth Stonar, Unddreth, and Amra Clearwater listed.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

shuman
Acolyte

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  04:30:13  Show Profile  Visit shuman's Homepage Send shuman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool. Thanks. These all make sense. I thought some Bard for Walker, perhaps Ranger also.

BTW, Just finished The Hunting Game, and am starting The Greater Treasure. Part of why I enjoy these stories is to decide what they would be in game terms. What I enjoy about your writing style is that you dont make it too obvious. I dont know if I can wait for March '07!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000