Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Bruenor Vs. Gimli
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  19:03:33  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Drizzt and Legolas have been discussed.

Eliminster, Gandalf, and Walker Boh have been discussed.

Now we must see who would win Bruenor or Gimli.

Which of these great dwarves would win in a brawl?

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.

Edited by - Trafaldi on 03 Feb 2003 19:09:33

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  19:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a little confused.

Are you asking who would win in a fight, or a popularity contest?

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  19:11:49  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bruenor would win he's outlasted the harsh coldness of Icewind Dale, a dragon, and he's been at war with drow. I've not heard of much of what Gimli's done but I still think Bruenor would win.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  19:11:57  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, do to the fact that you have recently edited your comment to answer my question, I would have to have to say Gimli just because I have seen the movie and gottena visual on what he "might" be like in a battle (even though it seemed that all he did was get beat up in the movie and I haven't read the books).

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  19:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be a hard fight. I can't say who would win in such fight.

"Do not be afraid of greatness. Some achieve greatness, some are born great, and some have greatness thrust upon them..."
Go to Top of Page

Milythar Sylavin
Acolyte

Poland
6 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  21:50:11  Show Profile  Visit Milythar Sylavin's Homepage Send Milythar Sylavin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tolkien wrote so much beautiful words about nature, lands, conflicts, historical and social setting of a story, but he neglected (I don't know that it is correct...) some aspects of his heroes. I mean that we couldn't say how brave, strong and experienced they really are. Gimli isn't an exeption.
On the other hand, the world of Lord of the Rings is very raw, complicated and hard for its children... and Tolkien likes had good reason to prise someone in his tale.
I think that Gimli may not so bad chance to win in this fight or whichever other rivalry. My supposition is that he may be a winner.

Mielikki no egleria; he echad pan levain gelir.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  22:32:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been a long time since I read the books, but against the movie version of Gimli, Bruenor would definately win. (My friend Jon and his family are going to shun me for this, I'm afraid.) Sure, he helped hold off all those Uruk-hai on the bridge at Helm's Deep, but I think Bruenor would be tougher and more experienced.

You know, unlike the Gandalf/Elminster discussion, or the Legolas/Drizzt, I can actually imagine this happening. If these two met, they'd either become best of friends, or they'd tick each other off right away.

Hey, that's an interesting question: would they be like long-lost friends, or start bristling the moment they saw each other?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 21 Feb 2003 21:57:31
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2003 :  02:48:02  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vlad the impaler

Now we must see who would win Bruenor or Gimli.

Which of these great dwarves would win in a brawl?

I would have to say Gimli. Anyone who asks to be tossed into a army of orcs has to be more than a little bit 'ard.
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2003 :  13:42:00  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Gimli.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2003 :  10:14:14  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we'll never be able to find the answers to such topic!
Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2003 :  11:07:43  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

I think we'll never be able to find the answers to such topic!

We cannot say who of these dwarves would win in a brawl, now.But... The only way to find an answer to your questions Vlad, is very simple. We just have to open a portal(a gate), that leads to MiddleEarth and then we have to find Legolas, Gandalf, Gimli and bring them to Drizzt, Elmi and Bruenor.
See? That's very simple

"Do not be afraid of greatness. Some achieve greatness, some are born great, and some have greatness thrust upon them..."
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2003 :  19:54:17  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranaghar Tsaran

We cannot say who of these dwarves would win in a brawl, now.But... The only way to find an answer to your questions Vlad, is very simple. We just have to open a portal(a gate), that leads to MiddleEarth and then we have to find Legolas, Gandalf, Gimli and bring them to Drizzt, Elmi and Bruenor. See? That's very simple

This topic was interesting because you could really picture this battle with your imagination. The clang of axe on axe the thumps of a good headbutt and the cursing of dwarves.

Hey that sounds like a good idea who knows how to open the portals.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.

Edited by - Trafaldi on 06 Feb 2003 20:00:33
Go to Top of Page

enchantedgoblin
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2003 :  15:19:45  Show Profile  Visit enchantedgoblin's Homepage Send enchantedgoblin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to say Bruenor.
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2003 :  01:00:20  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Origianally Posted By drummerboy465

Not to spoil anyone's fun or offend anyone, but aren't these "someone vs. someone" topics a bit pointless? First of all, if any of these legendary heroes ever met, why in the world would they want to fight each other? Also, if any of you have read the 2nd Harry Potter book (yeah, I know most of you probably hate Harry Potter)or seen the movie, the lesson of it is that what defines us is not our abilities, but the choices we make. Just MHO

I guess its really just how you look at it. I beleive Vlad (scince I know him and hes horrible at wording) was just after your opinions. I agree, these kind of topics are a bit off, and these battles should never happen. But "IF" they did happen, in your opinion, who would win.

Again, I say Gimli.

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

sushisauce
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2003 :  03:02:57  Show Profile  Visit sushisauce's Homepage Send sushisauce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gimli.
!)He from LOTR
2)I'm to this relm and don't know the other guy
3)as for resistance to cold, Gimli is the best!

And about Drizzt vs. Legolas
isn't DRizzt a drow which is different from an elf esp. the LOTR elves
and The Gandalf matter, Gandalf is supreme. Even the elves and Sauron fear him when he's angry

Normal is what we choose it to be.
Go to Top of Page

Aust Grimshadow
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2003 :  21:23:57  Show Profile  Visit Aust Grimshadow's Homepage Send Aust Grimshadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say Bruenor hands down. He has much more experience as far as battles go, and he seemsto just be a better fighter overall then Gimli. However, it is quite hard to compare the two character b/c they live in such different worlds. It doesnt seem fair to contrast a dwarf from a place like ten towns, (a place that gets attacked just about once a week by who knows what) and Gimli from dwarven mines ( place that doesnt require skill in the battlefield to survive.. ME and FR are just too different to draw a fair comparison.

"Lies engulf the drow in fear and mistrust, refute friendship at the tip of a Lolth blessed sword. The hatred and ambition fostered by these amoral tenets are the doom of my people, a weakness they perceive as strength. The result is a paralyzing existence that the drow call the edge of readiness." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

jason12345
Acolyte

Afghanistan
19 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2003 :  01:59:59  Show Profile  Visit jason12345's Homepage Send jason12345 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha ha ha! Yet another "who would win, FR or LOTR" I know that Gimily would kick Bruenor's behind. Gimily is like the coolest person in LOTR other then Gandalf and Frodo and Legolas and Bilbo. I think that any LOTR characters would win in a fight against any FR characters because LOTR started everything related to Dungeons and Dragons. So my answer is Gimily.

P.S. I suggest we next discuss this topic: Who would win, Alaundo or the Blue Power Ranger from the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (my vote is for the Blue Power Ranger)

Just kidding

"Beans are neither fruit nor musical"

-Bart Simpson
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2003 :  15:05:58  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is NOT a popularity contest so it wouldn't matter who is 'cooler' but I say again Bruenor would win. The votes for the fight would be pretty much even, because most people who have seen the LotR movies and not read the FR books would of course say that Gimli would win. And those who have read the books would say Bruenor would win. But if they made a movie over the FR books I'm sure that would change everyone's mind and show how much better the FR characters are better than the LotR characters.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2003 :  19:28:44  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats not entirely true Feanor, even though I agree with you for the most part. There are probably many LoTR characters that could best their FR counterparts, and vis-versa. Its really impossible to tell, and is all just a matter of opinion (so most people will probably put their favorite).

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2003 :  21:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jason12345

I think that any LOTR characters would win in a fight against any FR characters because LOTR started everything related to Dungeons and Dragons...

We all know that Tolkien is the "father of fantasy", but it doesn't mean, that everything else is worse...it is not worse, it just diffrent

Go to Top of Page

Elminster
Acolyte

South Africa
9 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2003 :  06:33:03  Show Profile  Visit Elminster's Homepage Send Elminster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's put it this way. In both LOTR and in Forgotten Realms, the denomination (clan) and direct lineage are imporant for both Elves and Dwarves. For example we know that in LOTR the Teleri were the best sailors, the Noldor were the craftsmen etc. We know also that the descendants of Dain (the great dwarf) are more fantastical and powerful (in whatever sense of the word) than dwarves from 'lesser' clans. Gimli is a many routed descendant. A kind of branch name if you please...from Gloin etc. Had he been descended directly from Thorin Oakenshield it might be different.

Breunor on the other hand is sole heir to the throne of Mithril Hall (excluding the books where he takes control of it again if you see my meaning - im a bit behind - books are so expensive). He has a more royal and direct lineage than Gimlie. Add to that fact the experience Gimli has gained being much older and wiser than Gimli.

The other contributing factor to Breunor's 'winning' or woteva, is that Tolkien doesn't describe power in the terms that Forgotten Realms authors do. Gimli killed 42 orcs in the battle of Helm's Deep being his most major battle in his life. Bruenor seems to kill that many with startling regularity so it is difficult to compare them as the wrinting styles are different. My opinion though, Breunor would win, if nothing else than his better equuipment and experience.

I have not followed the Gandalf/Elminster, Drizzt/Legolas threads but on those topics i can only say as well that the writing tyles again confound one. For instance in the whole of Tolkien's collected works, never does Gandalf "cast a spell" with a certain mechanism and with certain damage as it were. So i would have to say as a wise man and mover/changer of events, the best would be Gandalf - if only cause he has lived so much longer than Elminster. As for powerful magic, can ANYONE really compare to Elminster?

Drizzt and Legolas? one is ranger the one is a sort of non descript archer (not the ranger kit mind you) and with a bow, legolas wins. With swords, Drizzt obviously. Add to that Gwuenvyer (spelling i have NO idea) and his magic birth rite, i say overall Drizzt.

Enter no conflict against no fanatics unless you can defuse them. Oppose a religion with another religion only if your proofs (miracles) are irrefutable or if you can mesh in a way that the fanatics accept you as God-inspired. This has long been the barrier to science assuming a mantle of divine revelation. Science is so obviously man-made. Fanatics (and many are fanatic about one thing or another) must know where you stand, but more importantly, must recognise who whispers in your ear.
*Missionera Protectiva - Primray Teaching
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  04:43:39  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In all truth...I'm kind of tied between the two. In a sense I think that Bruenor would definitely win...but to an extent I kind of think Gimli would. I mean, the evidence that Bruenor is indeed a very strong fighter is pretty much a deciding thing that he would win, but I think that Gimli would have a chance.

So either one could win is my opinion.

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

DragonofJustice
Acolyte

46 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  06:12:49  Show Profile  Visit DragonofJustice's Homepage Send DragonofJustice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bruenor vs. Gimli. I've got to say, that would be a much more interesting match than El vs. Gandalf and Drizzt vs. Legolas. Mostly because I can already see the blood and gore splattering over everything.
How can one discount Gimli so quickly. Don't go by the movie, it doesn't do him justice. Go to the originals, the books, specifically the Two Towers, and Helms Deep. He is hard core!
Having said that, however, he would still lose. I have this vison of both of them near death, weapons shattered, blood and gore everywhere, and Bruenor snapping Gimli's neck killing him, moment prior to dying of the wounds given him by Gimli. Gimli would lose, by dying first, but Bruenor wouldn't be far behind him.
Go to Top of Page

Aust Grimshadow
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  14:01:58  Show Profile  Visit Aust Grimshadow's Homepage Send Aust Grimshadow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couldnt have said it better myself.

"Lies engulf the drow in fear and mistrust, refute friendship at the tip of a Lolth blessed sword. The hatred and ambition fostered by these amoral tenets are the doom of my people, a weakness they perceive as strength. The result is a paralyzing existence that the drow call the edge of readiness." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  19:06:09  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  19:30:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please, don't encourage him in his bloodthirsty ways! I'm his younger brother, after all . . . .

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Jalfrez
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2003 :  19:42:22  Show Profile  Visit Jalfrez's Homepage Send Jalfrez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually think it would be a long fight(like Drizzt and Entrie). My guess would be Brenour, because Gimli isn't as smart as Brenour.It would be a battle of wits.

Millike for all
Go to Top of Page

DragonofJustice
Acolyte

46 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2003 :  06:01:51  Show Profile  Visit DragonofJustice's Homepage Send DragonofJustice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why does Bookwyrm show fear? Cheer up little wyrm. I have cut off any body parts . . .of late.
Go to Top of Page

sushisauce
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2003 :  01:47:25  Show Profile  Visit sushisauce's Homepage Send sushisauce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah... a family or...fighting? fear? or.. just brotherly love?

Normal is what we choose it to be.
Go to Top of Page

DragonofJustice
Acolyte

46 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2003 :  06:15:58  Show Profile  Visit DragonofJustice's Homepage Send DragonofJustice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(DOJ smiles slightly)
Let us call it spending quality time between brothers. What is a little squabble between two magic wielding dragons? We've never completely destroyed a place. Why do you thing my brother is so good at repairing windows that people have been thrown through. He has experience. I throw. He lands. I make him clean up.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2003 :  06:21:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, that would be Father that makes us both clean up. Now, that's a dragon to be reckoned with!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000