Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Artifacts..
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  10:30:36  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
"I you were a great hero of Faerun, what artifact(or magic item) would you like to carry and use?".

Feel free, to invent your own artifact. Please name it, describe it and include it's special powers, abilities. But please keep it balanced, don't make it an ultimate artifact. Keep in mind, powerful aritifacts also have negatives, sometimes - life, mana drain from the owner, curses etc.

"Do not be afraid of greatness. Some achieve greatness, some are born great, and some have greatness thrust upon them..."

Dark_Lord
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  10:44:52  Show Profile Send Dark_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He he. I'm very sorry, but...
The Hand of Vecna: Seldom is the name Vecna spoken, and even then only in the most hushed and terrified tones, for legends say the shade of this most supreme of all liches still roams the world.
Little is known of this being except that he eventually met his doom in some awesome conflagration—or at least that his physical body was destroyed. Still rumors persist that one hand (and perhaps an eye) survived even this destruction.

These rumors ascribe strange and powerful abilities to the Hand of Vecna, still imbued with the unquenchable spirit of Vecna. The Hand is variously described as large and small, but all accounts agree that it is extremely withered and blackened, as if from a burned body.
The first recorded appearance of the Hand was during the Insurrection of the Yaheetes, 136 years after the passing of Vecna. With the overthrow of Paddin the Vain, leader of the clan, the Hand apparently disappeared.

During the reign of Hamoch of Tyrus, the hand was discovered by the fisherman Gisel. For several decades he kept it as a curiosity, until he was slain by his brother who stole the artifact. The brother was waylaid en route to Tyrus and the Hand fell into the possession of the outlaw Mace.
With a single gesture of the Hand, Mace is said to have struck down the gates of Tyrus and brought plague onto the royal house. Stories are told how he spent one night in the royal bedchamber where he was visited by the spirit of Vecna. Undoubtedly he changed, for the next day he ordered the execution of his former followers to appease the wrathful shade.

In the 100 years of Mace's reign, the city of Tyrus grew in power, but it became ill-famed as the Slaughterhouse of the Western Shore. Mace (now styled Vecna the Second) was struck down by a Yemi****e assassin when the power of the Hand inexplicably failed him.
Since that time the Hand has appeared briefly in a number of widely scattered lands. Most of these appearances are unsubstantiated, but the corruption of the Paladin-King of Miro is a well-documented case. Foolishly fixing the Hand onto his own arm, the Paladin-King discovered too late that he could not remove it and in the end it destroyed him.

For the Hand to function, it must be touched to the stump of an arm, to which it grafts instantly. The grip is immensely strong (19 Strength, no attack roll or damage bonuses however).
At first, the Hand seems useful and harmless enough, but within it resides some portion of Vecna's evil spirit. Gradually the owner comes to believe he is Vecna. Good characters becoming cruel and malevolent; evil characters become the embodiment of corruption, eventually turning on their friends and allies.

Suggested powers for the Hand include: death ray (no saving throw, once a day), cause disease (100-foot x 100-foot area/2 times per day), animate dead (1/day), darkness (at will), +2 protection, web (1/day), disintegrate (1/day), regenerate 2 hp/turn, lightning bolt (12 dice, 1/day), and time stop (1/week).
Aside from the fact that the Hand is corruptive, its other major drawbacks include the fact that it cannot be removed short of chopping off the arm and the fact that those who see the Hand will covet it, attempting to take it from its current owner. Finally, the Hand foresees the moment of its owner's doom and its powers will fail just at that given time.

Cooooooooooooooooooooooool
I would carry it no matter what.
Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  11:14:09  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wandering, if Great Alaundo could answer me...
Could you, Master?

"Do not be afraid of greatness. Some achieve greatness, some are born great, and some have greatness thrust upon them..."
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  15:13:28  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Lord

Why would you want an artifact that subjugates your will to its own? Wouldn't that make you one of the sheep?
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  15:22:18  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by Ranaghar TsaranI was wandering, if Great Alaundo could answer me...
Could you, Master?

Ohhhhhh, hmmmmmmm, why of course Ranaghar......

My trusty tomb of all-knowledge is all Id ever need Ahem, anyway, im not actually one to take an interest in Artifacts and items of great power, as a DM I encourage more from role-playing and setting the scene rather than high power campaigns so its hard to desire the ultimate artifact... its a very difficult question, and apologies for the pathetic answer Ill get back to you on this one once ive given it some thought....

::sits staring into the ceiling, hand on chin, pondering::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  15:31:32  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lash of the vampire(whip)

does 2d6 damage
50% chance to do 2d4 piercing damage
15% chance to drain 1d4 life ffrom opponent

cursed can't be removed from hand until drain 4hp from a creature each night.

it just seems like an interesting weapon to use.
It can't be all good it has to have a downside

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.

Edited by - Trafaldi on 13 Feb 2003 15:37:53
Go to Top of Page

Dark_Lord
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2003 :  19:12:12  Show Profile Send Dark_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lowtech

quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Lord

Why would you want an artifact that subjugates your will to its own? Wouldn't that make you one of the sheep?

Well..That was kind of a joke...I just wanted to emphasize its greatness.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  05:47:57  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. I've pondered something similar to Ranaghar Tsaran's question over the course of my writings, and I've created several artifacts like that. I'm going to do something here I've never done, and post something I've written. I think the sword in here's a little too "powerful" in the sense that Ranaghar Tsaran was talking about, but I'm going to share it with you anyway.

Now, bear in mind that this is not a Forgotten Realms thing. It was basically a doodle within a doodle. A writer in a (rather weak) story I was writing just for the heck of it was asked to write a small story about a magical sword. Like my character, I did it all in one sitting, which is why it's so rough.

---------------

The Sword of Ma’caresh was perhaps the greatest weapon ever produced by the ancient kingdom that bore that name. Forged of the finest mithril by the greatest of dwarven smiths, and enchanted by the most skilled of elven mages, it was to be wielded by a human warrior in one-on-one combat with the half-demon Gaer.

Gaer had issued a challenge to Ma’caresh, that it should send forth its greatest champion to meet him in single combat, or he would destroy the entire land for its crime of producing the warriors, mages, and clerics who had slain his Hell-spawned father. He would battle in human form, and use none of his offensive magics during the battle. None believed his promise of fair play, but all knew that Gaer had the power to do as he threatened.

And so, during the following year, the warrior Vaun did train, ruthlessly pushing himself to the limits of human ability, preparing to fight for his country. If he failed, all would perish, for the demon had placed an incredible spell upon the nation’s borders, allowing none but the demon himself to pass. He was obviously determined not to let any escape his wrath.

A month before the duel would take place, the nation’s most powerful archmage presented Vaun with the Sword of Ma’caresh. It had been honed by fire and spell until it was as hard and sharp as diamond, and given spells designed to block or lessen a demon’s magics. The mages who enchanted the Sword obeyed the demon’s rules that no offensive magics would be used in the battle, even though they did not believe the demon would stay true to his word. However, they gave it all the powers they could work into the mithril that they could. Bearing that amazing sword, Vaun could fly at will, or become as transparent as the air. He could detect the use of magic, heal wounds he had suffered, summon a protective sphere, or produce anything from pure darkness, to a gentle glow, to blinding light.

But the most unique magic was one that set it apart from all others, one that to this day has never been repeated. Merely by exercising his will, the wielder could cause the sword to change into any weapon he could think of. A broadsword, an axe, a scimitar, even a crossbow. The elven mages and dwarven smiths wanted to be sure that their champion would have every advantage he could.

Then the year was up, and Vaun went forth to meet with his nemesis in the Barrier Mountains, a dry and rocky battlefield. Nothing is known of the battle itself, as Gaer enchanted the area to keep out the scrying of mages and clerics. Finally, after a week of waiting, the king sent in a troop of his best men, along with twenty mages and five clerics. They found Vaun’s body, dead, lying next to the foul carcass of the half-demon Gaer. The Sword had been driven through Gaer’s body and into the earth, apparently using a last, mighty effort on the part of Vaun.

With the death of the demonspawn, the spell inhibiting travel was lifted. Contact was once again established with the outside world, and relatives assured of the safety of family. The kingdom and all lives within it, were saved, at the price of their greatest hero.

Vaun’s body was carried in state back to the capitol, where it was interred in the tomb originally meant for the king himself, who had decided that anything less would be an insult to Vaun’s memory. The Sword of Ma’caresh was placed over his coffin, so that it might ever be by his side.

However, before the very eyes of the on-looking mourners, the Sword began to disappear. Fearing it to be the work of another demon, the mages present attempted to save it, but all their most powerful magics were turned aside. Within moments, the Sword of Ma’caresh was gone.

None know the truth behind this event, but many tales abound. Perhaps the Sword itself wished to be with its master’s spirit, wherever it might have gone. Perhaps a higher power decreed that such a weapon was too powerful to stay in the mortal world, now that the demonspawn was vanquished.

Or perhaps it is simply being kept safe, held in trust for the next time the world needs such a hero . . . .

---------------

Well, there it is. The sword I would want. Maybe not quite so top-heavy, but similar.

If this is too "much" then I've got others . . . . This is just the one I'd written a short story about.

Speaking of which, how is it? Remember, this has had little editing, and the ending sucks . . . but it's the first one I've ever posted on the Web.

Niiiice critics . . . goooood critics . . . .

-----

PS - I hope Alaundo doesn't yell at me for this . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 30 Jan 2003 05:49:59
Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  10:23:45  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This isn't too "much, Bookwyrm.
When I wrote that you should keep it balanced, I meant that you shouldn't write something "childish" like:
"I want a powerful ring that will grant my every single wish and will kill somebody, when I only think about it" - that's wrong
You're artifact, Bookwyrm, is very good...

Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2003 :  13:00:21  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the only artifact I have ever created. I do not know if I will ever introduce it into my campaign but perhaps some day there is a villain who is in need of an efficient sword...

Name: Skildbladner
Type: Long Sword
Enchantment: +5
Damage: 1D8 + 5 per enchantment, +10 per strength
Speed factor: 2
Special Powers:
Negative Plane Protection
Strength 22
-2 AC bonus
Each succesful hit has a percent chance equeal to the amount of damage inflicted by that hit to kill the victim outright. When the character wielding the weapon has caused 1D10 x 100 points of damage this way (counting excess hit points of creatures slain outright) the character’s soul will be comsumed by the sword thereby becoming a part of it and rendering him permanently dead. The only thing which can revive the character is detroying the weapon through the use of a wish (this is the only way to break the weapon). This will release the soul of the slain character and his soul enters the nearest dead body which must be of any human, demi-human or humanoid. Unfortunately, this will release all the other souls in the sword as well (6D6) and if there isn’t a sufficient amount of dead bodies nearby, roll randomly to determine which souls enter the bodies. Any souls in excess are forever lost 50% chance or will return later as ghosts or some other ethereal form of undead. There is a 25% chance that any soul revived this way will be insane, its mind corrupted and broken by the transformation.

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2003 :  06:43:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To Echon: EEK! Now THAT's a villian's sword!

To Ranaghar Tsaran: Okay, that's good. I still think all those powers would be a bit much, but I'm glad it's acceptable.

I started pondering another sword, this time starting from a Realms-only approach (Ma'caresh sounds a little like it existed at the same time as Netheril, but I don't think I could call it the Realms). I'm still working on backstory, partly in class (I'm bad, I'm bad) and if I finish soon enough I might post that one here too. I'm afraid I can't do stats like Echon did, because I've never campained (just played some of the computer games).

I guarentee that part of this sword's story (the most recent part) will be unusual. Very. In two ways. In fact, this may turn into my first Forgotten Realms fan fiction. I'd need more plot first, though . . . .

(By the way, I'm not up on my Elvish. What's that signature of yours? I only recognize Mielikki's name.)

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2003 :  14:05:37  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

(By the way, I'm not up on my Elvish. What's that signature of yours? I only recognize Mielikki's name.)

I think this is a quaestion for me...well that's not Elvish, it's Drowish.
"Mielikki tlu malla; Il morfel jal ilta dalharen loffta"...I like to use it and it means: Mielikki be praised; she made all her children happy.

(When I talk about her children, I mean animals and elves. Maybe it's not right, but she's so magnificent, that for me, she's the goddess(mother) of whole nature. And by the way... If I would like to have an powerful artifact, it would be connected with Her)

Edited by - Ranaghar Tsaran on 31 Jan 2003 14:08:47
Go to Top of Page

Milythar Sylavin
Acolyte

Poland
6 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2003 :  14:34:55  Show Profile  Visit Milythar Sylavin's Homepage Send Milythar Sylavin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's true, Ranaghar, but Mielikki is also a human goddess. Some beast and human are Her children too.

Mielikki no egleria; he echad pan levain gelir.
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2003 :  04:56:36  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm: Whoa...that was really good! Sounds like a very interesting artifact.

I'd have to say that the artifact that I'd pick would be a tie between one I created and one from Baldur's Gate 2. the one I created is actually not an artifact...it's just a crystal fife. It's enchanted with protection spells and such. it's only used for spells songs.

The one from BG2 is:
Staff of the Woodlands +4
Barkskin, enhanced charm animal (though I wouldn't use that very often...I never use charm animal...never found a good reason to use it), summon shambling mound. duration, five minutes
Saving Throws: Save vs. Spells with a -4 penalty
THACO: +4 bonus
Damage: 1D6+4
Saving Throws: +2
Speed Factor: 1
Damage Type: Crushing
Proficiency Type: Quarterstaff (Two-handed)
Only usable by: Druids

so yeah...either of those would be really cool to have.

By the way, I like that saying Ranaghar. That's really cool.

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  16:24:43  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sadonayerah Odrydin
By the way, I like that saying Ranaghar. That's really cool.

Thank you very much, Sadonayerah.I just say what I think...what I believe.

Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2003 :  01:44:15  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to go with Nighteyes' Blades The Shenandriial.
They were made for him and are truly very impressive. I imagine they look like Arwen's blade in The Fellowship of the Ring only silver.

Elven Swords of Light (the Drow's Bane Swords [Shenandriial in the elvish tongue])

Enchanted silver and adamantine swords that never require sharpening, identical in size and weight, they can only be used by an Elf at level 10 or higher. If held by any other race of character it deals 1d8 of damage per round.

The enchantments are only present in the weapons if the swords are together, if separated by any distance greater then 100 yards they are merely ornamental long swords. Only together are they whole.

The blades cannot be identified by any means available to an enemy (Detect Magic). Only those familiar with the blades and the chosen wielder can identify them.

These lethal blades when used together increase hit/damage totals by +5 normally. They are especially deadly against Evil, Undead and Regenerating creatures; increasing hit/damage totals by +7, and against Drow; increasing hit/damage totals by +9.

The wielders base AC is 0

The swords can be thrown individually or at the same time, flying in a figure eight like pattern. (They magically return to the hand from which they were thrown in the same round)

Each blade is capable of casting spells, one with offensive magic the other defensive. They are capable of casting with or without the wielders instruction.

Don-Tauivan Velahr “Defender in Silvered Moonlight” Abilities:

Sphere of spell protection: (Permanent Effect) Whenever the wielder has the blades out he is protected by a magical shell/barrier that halves damage taken by magic. A saving throw can be made against spells for the remaining half, but minimum damage is 1/4 of total.

Wall of Force (2x/day) a wall of force spell creates an invisible barrier in the locale desired by the caster, up to the spell's range. The wall of force cannot move and is totally unaffected by most spells, including dispel magic. However, a disintegrate spell will immediately destroy it, as will a rod of cancellation or a sphere of annihilation. Blows, missiles, cold, heat, and electricity do not affect the wall of force. Spells and breath weapons cannot pass through it in either direction, although dimension door, teleport, and similar effects can bypass the barrier.

Teleport w/o error + Resurrection (1x/year) If the wielder is struck dead (-11hp), and the swords are still on his person, they will magically resurrect the wielder to a state of unconsciousness (0 hp) then teleport him/her to the Temple of the Seldarine, in Evermeet where a group of priests and priestesses are always on staff. This action cannot fail. Once the wielder is dead the action occurs flawlessly.

Don-Tauivan Drow Ndengin “Drow Slayer in Silvered Moonlight” Abilities:

Lightning Strike (2x/day) (when spell is cast the swords develops a powerful electrical charge that gives a jolt to the creature touched. The spell remains in effect for one round per level of the wielder or until it is discharged by the swords touching another creature. A touch from the opponent does not discharge the spell. The lightening strike delivers 1d8 points of damage, plus 1 point per level of the wielder (for example, a 20th-level ranger would discharge a shock causing 1d8+20 points of damage).

Disintegrate: (2x/day) this spell causes matter to vanish. It affects even matter (or energy) of a magical nature, such as Bigby's Forceful Hand, but not a globe of invulnerability or an antimagic shell. Disintegration is instantaneous, and its effects are permanent. Any single creature can be affected, even undead. Nonliving matter, up to a 10-foot x 10-foot x 10-foot cube, can be obliterated by the spell. The spell creates a thin, green ray that causes physical material touched to glow and vanish, leaving traces of fine dust. Creatures that successfully save vs. spell have avoided the ray (material items have resisted the magic) and are not affected. Only the first creature or object struck can be affected.

Dispel Magic Barrier: (Permanent effect) Any magical barrier/protective field struck by the blade is dispelled as if by a 20th level mage. The wielder can destroy most barriers with a single swipe of the blade in most cases.

The swords are intelligent weapons (intelligence 16 Ego 16) and have both a male and a female identity. With this sentience they are the ones who choose who their wielder can be (magically sticking to surfaces like sovereign glue until they are touched by one who is worthy of their power, they choose only Lawful/Good Elves). Each blade craves Drow blood, and so confident in their chosen wielder they often urge him/her into a hunt. If the wielders mind is weak, they can actually force their will upon him (wielder must be at or below 15 for INT, WIS, and CHA to be dominated). They communicate with their wielder by telepathy once the user has achieved a level of 15 or higher, often alerting the wielder of the presence of evil (detect evil), or the direction in which evil lies. The Queen of Evermeet may also communicate to the wielder through the swords via telepathy.

Artalis

Email

Edited by - Artalis on 09 Feb 2003 01:46:06
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2003 :  04:36:59  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
heh... those sword sound kinda cool... tho it'd be funny if a drow could wield them... :P considering there COULD BE lawful/good Drow... hehe... and drow ARE elves, despite what most of them may think...

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2003 :  10:00:05  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artalis
I would have to go with Nighteyes' Blades The Shenandriial.

Well I cant blame you there Artalis, I was very impressed by them when I first read Nighteyes character when it (sorry, "HE") appeared at Candlekeep.

So where can I get a pair of those swords, I want some!!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Deneir
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2003 :  00:57:14  Show Profile  Visit Deneir's Homepage Send Deneir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well since I don't Play D&D i don't know any stats 'bout stuff but
I like the artifact "Ghost" had in the Cleric Quintet it allowed him to switch bodies with anyone and then he would kill his body, and heal it after the spirt of the other had died. Even though it's an evil weapon and I think Cadderly desroyed it, it would be sweey. Also I think Artimis Entrein's (poorly spelt) sword and dagger is a very powerfull combo.
But the king of Artifacts has to be Jarlax the drow and former leader of a band of rouge Drow.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2003 :  20:49:50  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay. Remember I said I was working on another sword? Well, here it is. It's a moonblade, which has formed the core of my fan fiction; or rather, it's because of this idea that I started writing it.

This moonblade has only had five holders, including the current one. That's unusual, since it has been in constant use, but each wielder has lived to a ripe old age. Here are the powers and histories behind them:

First rune:
“Danger”

Power:
When the moonblade is on the holder’s person, a vague sense of possible dangers aimed at that person is felt. When it is held in the holder’s hand, the dangers become more clarified. (Basically, like a combination of detect evil, detect monster, and other spells.)

History:
The first possessor of this moonblade was a scholar, specializing in finding information on lost civilizations. (We would say an archeologist.) Working as he did in the field, where things can become somewhat dangerous, he usually traveled with a band of adventurers for protection. This was especially necessary due to the fact that this elf was often too absorbed to notice danger; however, after he had been accepted by the moonblade, this changed with the power that developed.

Second rune:
“Speed”

Power:
Equivalent to a haste spell.

History:
The second holder of this moonblade was a female warrior, who, lacking the strength of most, made up for it in speed. After being accepted by the moonblade, its power enhanced that ability even further.

Third rune:
“Dispel”

Power:
Can be used to block unfriendly magics; however, the wielder has to be prepared to do so.

History:
The third to be chosen by this moonblade was also a warrior, one who had made it his duty to fight against evil mages. When he found himself standing alone against one, the moonblade granted him the power to block that mage’s magics.

Fourth rune:
“Position”

Power:
The possessor of the moonblade can remember every place he or she has been to since the moonblade came to that person, and can navigate any such place without consulting a map. (Compare to mapping in a campaign.)

History:
The fourth person to hold this moonblade was a mage who was also absent-minded like the first holder. Often he got lost on the way to places familiar to him, much less to places foreign. However, after the moonblade accepted him, this changed.
(He remained absent-minded to the end of his days, however, which were ended prematurely and ultimately led to this blade’s discovery by the fifth and most recent holder, as shown below.)

Fifth rune:
“Knowing”

Power:
The bearer of this moonblade can tap into the skills, mostly martial in nature but will some others, of those who once possessed it as well. (Note that this rune means “knowing,” but not “knowledge.” Knowledge is to have facts, while this manifests as more of a feeling; basically an idea of the best moves in a fight, etc.)

History:
The current possessor of this moonblade did not know what it was when he drew it. Attacked by a party of drow in the halls of Undermountain, he drew a sword being which had been carried by one (now dead) in an attempt to protect his companions. (These drow had recently killed the last holder of the moonblade, and knowing what it was, were taking it back to the Underdark as a trophy.) Unknowing of the danger, he simply saw it as the only weapon within reach, and drew it in time to parry a blow that would have killed him.
The moonblade, sensing his desire to defend his wounded companions, accepted him, even though he was not the best candidate for a moonblade. He was also granted his power almost at once, for even though he was a good fighter with a quarterstaff, he only had a passing familiarity with blade work. As such, he was granted access to the collective fighting skills of the spirits still in the sword.

Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2003 :  22:49:15  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::blinks and scratches his head:: Um... the moonblade was 'discovered'... i dun mean to be an arse... but as i recall... moonblades have to be passed down through a family of elves... not just anyone can pick it up without being injured (unless of course such a power was imbued by a wielder... as i believe happened with Arilyn and Danilo as he was eventually able to hold the sword at one point in time without being harmed...)

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2003 :  23:17:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I know . . . I should have mentioned that. Although, I seem to recall something about how a moonblade can be discovered . . . . I could be wrong.

Anyway, this story (as I have stated numerous times) is non-canon. I've already taken liberties with two parts . . . what's one more?

Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2003 :  17:07:28  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aaahhh...yes...a moonblade. I have always wanted to wield such a perfect weapon and find out, if it is more powerful than my longswords...

Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2003 :  06:50:52  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Firestalker:
A mighty medallion blessed by the lady of Magic, Mystra. It holds many surface race magic spells. It can be used as a spellbook to study spells or you can summon up spells right from it's depth.
If you summon up a spell from it without studying, you cannot use the spell until a week has elapsed.

I made this artifact for a story I started writing a few monthes back. I love my Firestalker. *Hugs Firestalker to protect it from thiefs.*

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

Ranaghar Tsaran
Learned Scribe

Poland
133 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  20:27:53  Show Profile  Visit Ranaghar Tsaran's Homepage Send Ranaghar Tsaran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice artifact...I would use that, if I could get one

Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2003 :  08:43:38  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the compliment. My mind is busy think of new Artifacts. (Big pun LOL) If I come up with any new ones, I'll be sure to post about them.

Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2003 :  22:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New Artifact:

Ring of Shapechange

You can shapechange yourself into anything. The effects of the ring can stay active for up to 2 weeks. When two weeks elapses, the ring's power will fade and it will need to regenerate its power over the next week before the effect can be used again.

Please tell me what you think of my little item.

Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  17:24:09  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Longsword +1, Mighty Cleaving, Throwing

I rolled this out and got it, i cant wait to use it

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  03:32:54  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trafaldi, that sword sound cool. But I think that would be funny, throwing a long sword. I can see short swrods but long swords are funny.

Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2003 :  15:39:36  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can throw it up to 10 feet.
I also have a buckler +1 of bashing which I have strapped on the arm that holds my flaming whip +1 so if I alomst trip or disarm myself instead of an enemy I can drop the whip and bash thier face in with the buckler.

Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2003 :  23:44:41  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does people think of my last artifact? It took my a couple days to hammer it out and I was just wondering what people thought.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000