Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Realms to Real World Comparison
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Drummer Boy
Senior Scribe

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2002 :  05:39:42  Show Profile  Visit Drummer Boy's Homepage Send Drummer Boy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well put, Kitira. SOME of us (cough ME cough) do know that life exists beyond the borders of the US. I would agree though, that there really isn't that much in common between the US and the Forgotten Realms. I've always imagined the Realms as medieval/renaissance-like. Perhaps Europe in the Renaissance resembled the Realms well.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2002 :  10:23:39  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehehe... wasn't out to offend anyone. Though having lived in the US for a while, I have encountered some people who would miserably fail on any global geography test. But then again, there are people around the world who would be in similar difficulties.

Drummerboy, you put forward an interesting train of thought: reversal. For those twisted minds out there... what if Earth is a copy of the Forgotten Realms...?
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2002 :  12:18:29  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean America isn't Evermeet??
Go to Top of Page

Kitira Gildragon
Learned Scribe

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2002 :  12:33:31  Show Profile  Visit Kitira Gildragon's Homepage Send Kitira Gildragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could only wish. It's only a pitty that it's not the mideval period.*sigh* Think about how many people would have given my swords a nice red paint job...*EVIL GRIN*

MIH: No offense taken... yet.

-Space for rent-
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2002 :  02:12:41  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somewhere unknown in the Forgotten Realms probably on a different continent other than Faerun - The USA, somewhere in there the realm of fantasy and our realm there is no differences between the two.

-Feanor Karnil The Moon-Star

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2002 :  14:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Feanor, why do you continue to bother us with your psycho theories that make no sense at all? Anyways, Evermeet makes me think of Sweden.

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2002 :  14:59:58  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
isn't evermeet supposed to be a warm place?
Go to Top of Page

Artalis
Senior Scribe

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2002 :  15:48:09  Show Profile Send Artalis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All seasons in moderate form are represented on Evermeet. Nature is at it's best there. Winter has it's snows but not blizzards, summer is warm but not blisteringly hot, and so on.

To the best of my recollection at any rate. Let me see where did I put that scroll.... aha

"Evermeet's climate is not, as some legends
claim, eternal springtime. Instead, I suppose it
is most accurate to say that each season is perfect,
embodying the timeís essence, while at the
same time never growing extreme enough to
become dangerous. Spring is green and pleasant,
with occasional rains. Summer is warm
and balmy, with a few hot days. Fall comes
quickly, sweeping the island, turning the stands
of deciduous trees into myriad red, yellow, and
gold shades. Winter brings with it snows and
chill winds. These seasons vary only rarely.
Most of the time they present all that is best,
while minimizing their less desirable qualities.
world in an entirely different light. They are
not the rivals of nature, nor are they its enemies
or its masters. The elves are part of nature and
as such, must live according to the natural
order, not in defiance of it."

Evermeet -Island of the Elves Chapter 1 page 12

Artalis

Email

Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  00:27:10  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's what the 3rd Edition Forgotten Realms Net Compendium posits:

Al Qadim/Zakhara Al-Qadim boxed set - culture reference:________, names: Arabian
Amlar (Forest) culture reference:________, names:________
Amn - culture reference: Spain and Portugal (FR3) names: Spanish and Portuguese
Anauroch/Bedine - culture reference: Touareg and Saharian desert-like nomads (FR13), names: Touareg and Saharian Bedouin
Baldur's Gate - culture reference: Renaissance (Maztica novels Spanish and Portuguese and FR15), names: _________
Calimshan - culture reference: Arabian Sultanate (FR3), names: Iranian or Turkish
Chessenta - culture reference: Sparta ??? (FR10), names: AncientGreek
Chult - culture reference: African (FR16) African
Cormyr - culture reference: English, French (FR0, English,
Ring of Winter), names: French
Dalelands - culture reference:________, names: ________
Damara - culture reference: Classic Germanic kingdom during the Holy Roman Empire, names: German
Earthspur - culture reference:________, names: ________
Endless Waste - culture reference:________, names: ________
Evermeet - culture reference: Elven/Atlantis (Elfshadow, Elf Coral Kingdom), names: ________
Fuirgar - The land of the Stone Gitans - culture reference:________, names: Eskimo
Great Glacier - culture reference: Eskimo See FR14, names: Eskimo
Great Rift - culture reference: Dwarven (FR11), names: Dwarf
Halruaa - culture reference:________, names: ________
Horde lands - cultural reference: Mongol (Hordes), names: Mongol
Ice Peak (the) - cultural reference: Eskimo, names: Eskimo
Icewind Dale - culture reference:________, names: ________
Impiltur - culture reference:________, names: ________
Lantan - culture reference:________, names: ________
Luiren - culture reference:Halfling (FR16), names: Halfling
Marsember - - culture reference: Cormyr Venice, with its canals, names: ________
Maztica - cutlural reference: Central and South Incas american, Aztec Incas and Aztec (Maztica boxed set and series), names: ________
Moonsea - culture reference:________, names: ________
Moonshaes - culture reference: Celtic (FR2), names: Celtics, Gaelics, Wales
Northern Moonshaes and Luskan - culture reference: Vikings (Scandinavian) (FR2/FR5), names: Norwegian, Danish, Swedish
Mulhorand - culture reference: Pharonic Egypt (FR10)names: Egyptian
Murghom - culture reference: Baghdad (i.e. modern Iraq)under a caliph, etc., names: ________
Narfell - culture reference:________, names: ________
Nimbral - culture reference:________, names: ________
Plain of Horses - culture reference: Mongol (Hordes), names: Mongol
Quoya Desert - culture reference:________, names: ________
Rashemen - culture reference: Ukrainian/Russia (FR12), names: Ukraine/Russian Peasant
Raurin - culture reference: pre-Saharan Desert, names: ________
Sembia - culture reference:________, names: ________
Semphar - culutre reference: Baghdad-like culture, names: ________
Shaar (The) - culture reference:________, names: ________
Shou Lung Kara-Tur boxed set - culture reference:________, names: Chinese
Sossal - culture reference:________, names: ________
Thesk - culture reference:________, names: ________
Tethyr - culture reference: North Africa (FR3), names: Arabian
Thay - culture reference: Egypt (FR6), names: Egyptian
Turmish culture reference: Ottoman Empire, names: ________
Ulgarth Feudal system (FR16) - culture reference:________, names: French
Unther - culture reference: Sumeria/Babylonia (FR10), names: Sumerian
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  01:42:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

To be honest, I don't think America really has a Faerunian counterpart......

I think of Waterdeep as London, Silverymoon as Rome, Calimshan as the Middle East, etc., but I don't think that the USA has much of a hold on the Forgotten Realms as far as a translation might go....

Neither should any other particular country, as far as I'm concerned.

Waterdeep is...Waterdeep. There is nothing in the real world quite like it. Same goes for Silverymoon, and any other FR location.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 25 Oct 2005 01:42:53
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  01:54:30  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huzzah for the learned woman!

I agree with RF - and by making comparisons to the real world, Faerun loses somewhat of its mystique. I mean, I don't want to go to a Realm that is the equivalent of Germany. I can play a myriad of other RPGs and get that experience.

The Realms is unique and wonderful place - I doubt Ed designed any part of it to copy any culture completely. Though some lands do have a influence - what else could he have gone off of. All creation comes from a spark.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:09:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I agree with RF - and by making comparisons to the real world, Faerun loses somewhat of its mystique. I mean, I don't want to go to a Realm that is the equivalent of Germany. I can play a myriad of other RPGs and get that experience.

The Realms is unique and wonderful place - I doubt Ed designed any part of it to copy any culture completely. Though some lands do have a influence - what else could he have gone off of. All creation comes from a spark.

C-Fb

As do I and we've been told by Ed, repeatedly, that he didn't copy or base Faerun on any cultures from Earth but TSR did in the parts they added on.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

C-Fb

Thank you...and you're right! I love the FR precisely because it's a fantasy world and there is no place on earth quite like it. If I want historical fiction, there is another genre for that.

And I know Kuje has been trying to drive this point home for a long time.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  02:43:50  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah - seriously - the Realms should stay in the fantasy place. I mean, I could draw tons of comparisons between Thay and China, but I am not going to go there, because Thay has kick butt mages that rock the casbah and China has diplomats and politicians. Meaning: I like my fantasy being fantasy, and my real world being my real world.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  15:46:32  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Well, I suppose you have to look at Faerun herself as the whole of the British Empire prior to the Revolutionary era (late 1700's-1800's) but with a cultural focus just prior to the Renassiance....

That's how I've always seen it...

yeah this is true!

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Forge
Learned Scribe

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  16:03:35  Show Profile  Visit Forge's Homepage Send Forge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I agree that the Moonshaes have a Nordic slant, they are also very Irish/Celtic in feel. You have 2 distinct cultures meeting there.

I've always felt that Cormry had a Aurthorian feel to it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000