Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Real world Quotes and Maxim Realmsified
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  05:40:45  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
10 Real world Quotes and Maxims, paraphrased or ascribed to Faerunian people and groups

Kill them all and let Kelemvor sort them out

Kill one man and you’re a murder, kill 100 men and your hero, kill 10,000 and you’re the Chosen of Bhaal

It’s like trying to find an honest cleric of Cyric

War is the continuation of Diplomacy by other means, and alot more enjoyable!
Follower of Tempus.

That Paladin of Tyr has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire!
Unknown adventurer

Fear Leads Anger
Anger leads to hate
Hate leads to power!

Maxim of the Church of Bane

Remember when you look into the Abyss something may reach out and pull you in.

Death is not the worst than can happen to men

Cleric of Kelemvor

False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil

Cleric of Cyric

Information, the first principle of warfare must form the foundation of all your effort. Know of course thine enemy but in him do not forget above all to know thyself. The Leader who embraces this shall be favored by the Lady of strategy and shall know victory.

Dogma of the Red knight

Feel free to add your own

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  05:47:12  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Make love, not war."

Various followers of Sune and Sharess

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  06:02:03  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

"Make love, not war."

Various followers of Sune and Sharess

A Cleric of Gargos would probably be inclined to say that you could do both

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  06:13:49  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love that last one D.
Here I go:

Time is the wisest counsellor of all.
Elven Maxim

There is no knowledge that is not power.
Church of Oghma

Death is the same for the weak and for the strong, for the poor and for the rich.
From the scipture of Kelemvor

Full night blooms before the light.
Human maxim

The worth of a man is not in what he has acquired, but in what he longs to acquire.
--At the Feet of Waukeen, an Acolyte's Story

Courage is not always the Paladin's charge, oft'times tis a small voice promising: "I'll try again in the morrow".
Common saying amongst Dalelands woman

Humility makes boys of strong men.
Banite maxim

Moderation is for monks.
The Collected Saying of L. Long

Couldn't help that last one...
Thysl in Silver

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  11:50:29  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hehehehe!

This are good ones...

Good idea, Dargoth!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  14:29:22  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where the heck are the Chosen when you need them?

-Exasperated Human

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  18:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An Cormyran is a man who does things because they have been done before. An Dalesman is a man who does things because they haven't been done before.
- Dalesmen saying
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  18:18:27  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a good idea, now it is time for my two coppers:

With great power comes great responsibility.
--spoken to Elminster

It is all fun and games, until someone looses an eye.
Then it is just fun!
--a cleric of Loviator

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  18:24:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or of course there is this one:

"Its all fun and games until someone looses an eye . . . or two . . . then its war,"

--Xulla the Beholder
Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  19:28:56  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an actual Realm's qoute (from El in M.D.)

A true mage acts as if they knew nothing of magic, if they live long enough they realize it wasn't acting.

Young dwarves think old dwarves to be fools, old dwarves KNOW young dwarves to be fools.

In this realm nothing is certain but orcs and cold days.
Anonymous Halfling adventurer, concerning the Silver Marches

Brains without brawn is like silver, still in the mine.
Dwarven saying

Trading costers are more dangerous than a standing army.
Anon. Dalelander

Music hath charms to soothe a savage beast, To soften stones, to bend the knotted oak.
Thysl, bard of Mistledale

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  19:33:24  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good idea Dargoth, I got so into it, I did 10 more

The visionary lies to himself, the liar only to others.
- Church of Cyric

There is no great genius without some touch of madness.
-Church of Cyric

What is good? All that heightens the feeling of power in man,
the will to power, power itself. What is bad? All that is born
of weakness. What is happiness? The feeling that power is growing,
that resistance is overcome.
- Priest of Bane

You see what power is - holding someone else's fear in your hand
and showing it to them!
- Church of Bane

The ability to see beauty is the beginning of our moral sensibility.
What we believe is beautiful we will not wantonly destroy.
- Church of Sune

Rarely do great beauty and great virtue dwell together.
- follower of Sune

You desire to know the art of living, my friend? It is contained in one phrase: make use of suffering.
- follower of Ilmater

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is.
Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can,
and keep moving.
- War-Priest of Tempus

Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather
than the victim.
- Priest of Mask

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good
men do nothing.
-Harper saying

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  20:32:36  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good ones Xymsa!

Watch the strong and resilient oak. See it succumb to the wind, the cold, the bough-breaking snowfall. Now watch the sapling pine. See it bend in the wind, endure the cold, take refuge in the snow. Now learn to be as the sapling pine; unbreakable through humility.
--Maxim of the Yellow Rose Monostary

I can read the runes on the wall.
Idiom denoting foresight

Know now young knight, afor ye raise that steel: those that live by the sword shall surely parish by it.
--From the tragedy Opander, Knight-Marshall Ulthan to the title character

I know not which way the wind blows, yet I go.
Shaundakulin declaration of faith

--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  23:02:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite Realms quotes:

Worship the gods, listen to their advice, but don’t lend them money.
-- Hu Sen

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  16:10:49  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What? Were ya born in a barn?

-Neverwinter Noble to a trader from the Ten-Towns.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  16:56:14  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't judge someone for the size of his "weapon"

- Halfling motto

The difference between the madness and the genius, is only the success

- Another cleric of Cyric

(Is soo easy to make Cyrics mottos)

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 22 Oct 2005 16:59:19
Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  17:27:31  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you call a hundred orcs tied together in the bottom of the ocean? - A good start.
Dwarven joke. (I just changed things from a real world joke)

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  18:27:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talanfir Swiftfeet

What do you call a hundred orcs tied together in the bottom of the ocean? - A good start.
Dwarven joke. (I just changed things from a real world joke)

You know, I'd expect that a lot of real-world jokes, based on ethnicities or nationalities, have Realms equivalents...

"So a Dalesman, a Sembian, and a Zhent walk into a tavern..."

"How many Waterdhavians does it take to light a lantern?"

"This Helmite priest meets a Sunite priest, and says to her... "

And so on...

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  18:35:09  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"More knows Szass Tam for ancient than for liche."

"There are no news, as bad news."

- That's what the people could think an Arpistwould say cause their habit of always being where they shouldn't.

"The good if short, twice good"

- Another halfling motto, I love those little guys.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 22 Oct 2005 21:53:14
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  23:19:29  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure this is QUITE right, but these are some Realms-equivalents of lines from one of the funniest movies ever made (anyone who can identify it gets a gold star). The last two are from me, the first from Malarick over at Worlds:

"Faerun's my beat, and I'm Walking it."

or

"You really must try this platter o' orc. It's a slow-roasted Orc, nothing fancy. It just happens to be my favorite, and I order it with a crappy mead in every dive I go to in this country. And honestly, that is the best it's ever been anywhere. In fact, it's too good. It's so good that when I'm finished, I'll pay my gold pieces, walk straight into the kitchen and stab the cook. Because that's what I do. I restore the balance to this country."

Here's a dialogue between the Lord of the Shadovar and one of his minions:

"I told you to slay all of the Chosen!"
"But my Lord. . ."
"Are you a ArCANist, or a ArCAN'Tist?"

And, about Elminster:

"What's yon old man called?"
"We call him 'El,' as in 'THE.'"
[Sigh.] "I know what it means."

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  23:25:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm wanting to say it was Once Upon A Time in Mexico, or something like that...

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  23:35:02  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm wanting to say it was Once Upon A Time in Mexico, or something like that...

And you're wanting to be right.

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  00:33:41  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
War never solves anything
Maxim of Eldaths Clergy

Really? Perhaps you should take that arguement up with the founding fathers of Narfell and Raumathar.
Follower of Tempus response to the above

I want to see the enemies blood! I want to bathe in their blood! I WANT TO BATHE IN THEIR BLOOD FOR A WEEK!
Battle cry of a Cleric of Gargos

If you know where I got the 2nd and third ones from then you can have a cookie

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: