Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Realms to Real World Comparison
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  00:07:51  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It's been said that when Ed Greenwood first produced the Forgotten Realms, he based much of it on the real world.

My question is this:

Which countries in the Realms do you believe tie into the countries in the real world (please, no comments about the Realms being the real world ).

My suggestions:

Maztica - South America (particularly Peru and Mexico)
Zakharra - Arabia
Evermeet - Ireland
Chult - Africa or Brazil
Kara-Tur - Japan
Shu-Lung - China

Anyone think of any others?

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  00:53:21  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The North ~ being early England
Moonshaes ~ have a Scottish or maybe Norse feel to them.
Calimshan ~ seems to be Arabian in comaparison as well.

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  12:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mulhorand = Egypt?

Nothing is impossible!
Go to Top of Page

Solmyr
Seeker

Sweden
78 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  12:09:48  Show Profile  Visit Solmyr's Homepage Send Solmyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say that the isles of Waa make a better Japan.

The hordelands: Mongoliet (sp in english?)

With each post i grow wiser and with added wisdom I grow stronger.
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2002 :  18:25:23  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say places like the Icewind dales (In poticular the spine of the world)are like the Swiss Alps

My name is Tiax, I would ask yours but I don't care to become aquainted with the dead.

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  15:46:50  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I suppose you have to look at Faerun herself as the whole of the British Empire prior to the Revolutionary era (late 1700's-1800's) but with a cultural focus just prior to the Renassiance....

That's how I've always seen it...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  19:48:44  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the actural year in fearun.

My name is Tiax, I would ask yours but I don't care to become aquainted with the dead.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  21:48:23  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whenever you want it to be
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  21:54:02  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Year, I mean, what is the year in like, the Time of Troubless

Go to Top of Page

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2002 :  17:03:25  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 2nd ed. the official year was 1369 DR (Dale-reckoning). In 3rd. ed. the official year is 1372 DR, I think. The Times of Trouble were in the year 1353 if I remember correctly.

Nothing is impossible!
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2002 :  19:29:38  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what year do you play.

Go to Top of Page

Solmyr
Seeker

Sweden
78 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2002 :  22:01:35  Show Profile  Visit Solmyr's Homepage Send Solmyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Time of troubles was in the year 1358.

Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2002 :  20:07:53  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So in our time thats, latemedevil, seems right.

Go to Top of Page

Mask
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2002 :  07:44:31  Show Profile  Visit Mask's Homepage Send Mask a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Solmyr, I wasn't sure about the year the Times of Troubles took place.

Nothing is impossible!
Go to Top of Page

Mahonar
Acolyte

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2002 :  14:56:06  Show Profile  Visit Mahonar's Homepage Send Mahonar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
here's the FR countries as i see them compared to the real ones :P.

Maztica - south america
Evermeet - Tolkien-style ;)
Icewind dale - alaska, or Siberia :)
Tethyr - Spain
Cormyr - medieval France
Sembia - italy, and i'm a Sembian ;)
Amn - Portugal
Hordelands - mongolia

i agree with kahonen about the other ones :P

________

If this is progress, help me to regress.
Go to Top of Page

Solmyr
Seeker

Sweden
78 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2002 :  16:07:14  Show Profile  Visit Solmyr's Homepage Send Solmyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sound good to me.
I remember seeing a complete Realms to Real World Comparison before, but I cant remember where.

Maybe someone can help me?

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2002 :  20:23:39  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They sound good to me too. Thanks for the input guys.
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2002 :  20:28:17  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where would you place Thay.

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2002 :  20:50:26  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eastern Europe (East Germany, Poland, Chek Czeck Czheck Chezk Yugoslavia)- bear in mind the Realms were designed before the Iron Curtain came down. At the time most of the Eastern European countries were seen as evil because of their association with USSR.
Go to Top of Page

king-tiax
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
327 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2002 :  20:58:55  Show Profile  Visit king-tiax's Homepage Send king-tiax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
War, It changes lands.

Go to Top of Page

Mahonar
Acolyte

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2002 :  23:32:12  Show Profile  Visit Mahonar's Homepage Send Mahonar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Solmyr, i am quite certain that i read what you say in one of that 5 Forgotten realm Netbooks, i'm sure that you can find a copy of them in the library of Candlekeep ;). Thay? uhm...toooovarisch ZUlkirs :)

________

If this is progress, help me to regress.
Go to Top of Page

sushisauce
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  03:33:57  Show Profile  Visit sushisauce's Homepage Send sushisauce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have read few books but Candlekeep and the surrounding areas sound like Washington & s. Canada
Baldur's Gate sounds like New York/Canada region

Normal is what we choose it to be.
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2002 :  19:17:00  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chessenta=Germany (pre-1867), a warring collection of city-states and regions that are still recongnized by outsiders as one cultural group.
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2002 :  14:06:04  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would the City of Ravens be Paris??

City built on city on a city.
Go to Top of Page

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2002 :  08:16:18  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calimshan would be like Arizona, Utah and So.Cal
The Great Drizzt

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2002 :  11:08:38  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Drizzt

Calimshan would be like Arizona, Utah and So.Cal
The Great Drizzt

Ehm... Calimshan definitely has a non-american character. It is more reminiscent of Northern Africa and the Sahara desert.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2002 :  12:45:38  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What do you mean Mumadar?!? There isnt a world outside of America.....is there?!

Sorry, i couldnt resist

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2002 :  13:46:14  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

What do you mean Mumadar?!? There isnt a world outside of America.....is there?!

Sorry, i couldnt resist

Yeah, contrary to popular belief by some natives of the country wedged between the Pacific and the Atlantic, there is more then just their continent. On their map boundaries they use instead of "Here be Dragons!" the following versions:

"Here be Commies",
"Here be bad guys",
"Here be evil empires",
"Here be Al-Qaida",
etc.

Game related: That's one of the things I missed on the new Forgotten Realms map; these nautical symbols of fantastic creatures at the edges of the know world. Or signs of danger and shipwrecks in the appropriate areas in the Sea of Fallen Stars. (don't have the map in front of me, but I'm pretty sure they're not on there.)
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2002 :  15:57:37  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest, I don't think America really has a Faerunian counterpart......

I think of Waterdeep as London, Silverymoon as Rome, Calimshan as the Middle East, etc., but I don't think that the USA has much of a hold on the Forgotten Realms as far as a translation might go....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2002 :  16:41:39  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Culture-wise I agree with you. From a pseudo-medieval standpoint there is not much the history of the US can contribute, other than the tribal cultures of the native americans. Which might be reflected in some of the tribal groups that roam the plains of Faerun, or in the Terra Ingconita north of Maztica (sp?).

However from a geological point of view, I do think certain parts of the US and Canada have served as basics. The Sword Coast and Waterdeep do resemble the Seattle area and neighboring coastline to a certain degree. An there might be more...
Go to Top of Page

Kitira Gildragon
Learned Scribe

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2002 :  16:48:33  Show Profile  Visit Kitira Gildragon's Homepage Send Kitira Gildragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mask

Mulhorand = Egypt?

Definitely! Where else would you find gods named 'Set','Osiris', and 'Isis'?

To Mumadar:
Contrary to what you might think, yes some of us do know that there is life outside our continent but that is not the way the majority thinks.(I know you are evil, though )

-Space for rent-

Edited by - Kitira Gildragon on 18 Nov 2002 17:08:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000